Can we find out why people got banned?

Here is the place for your suggestions, comments, or questions regarding the Philosophy Forums.
Toadny
Favorite Philosopher: Toadny

Can we find out why people got banned?

Post by Toadny » January 22nd, 2013, 11:28 am

Partly curiosity on my part, partly self-preservation: I'd like not to get banned, so it would be useful to see what it takes.

Spiral Out
Site Admin

Re: Can we find out why people got banned?

Post by Spiral Out » January 22nd, 2013, 11:39 am

I think it's only a repeated and willful disregard for the rules that gets someone banned. That and banned members coming right back under another identity. Everyone gets a little out of hand now and again due to their passion for a particular topic or if they have a previous antagonistic history with another member or two, but I think Scott is fair in his judgments of these things.

-- Updated February 2nd, 2013, 3:27 pm to add the following --

Also, perhaps we could get an explanation of why other certain members who apparently should have been banned have yet to be banned?
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.

Ascendant606

Post by Ascendant606 » April 14th, 2013, 12:04 am

Spiral Out wrote:I think it's only a repeated and willful disregard for the rules that gets someone banned. That and banned members coming right back under another identity. Everyone gets a little out of hand now and again due to their passion for a particular topic or if they have a previous antagonistic history with another member or two, but I think Scott is fair in his judgments of these things.

-- Updated February 2nd, 2013, 3:27 pm to add the following --

Also, perhaps we could get an explanation of why other certain members who apparently should have been banned have yet to be banned?
I think you have answered you own question. Scott is fair in his judgement of things, and I also think some of the people you think should be banned have not done enough to warrant being banned if Scott has not done so yet.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.

Spiral Out
Site Admin

Post by Spiral Out » April 15th, 2013, 8:10 am

Ascendant606 wrote:Scott is fair in his judgement of things, and I also think some of the people you think should be banned have not done enough to warrant being banned if Scott has not done so yet.
I'm beginning to question that sentiment. There is a post that is obviously against the rules of this site that I've reported a month ago that still sits there like a stinking pile of feces that has yet to be flushed.

I guess I should just distribute the message as it now appears to be A-OK for this site.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.

Granth

Post by Granth » April 16th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Toadny wrote:Partly curiosity on my part, partly self-preservation: I'd like not to get banned, so it would be useful to see what it takes.
So what do you think is the best way to find out?
If reality was determined by a popularity vote we would not have any pioneers.

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Scott » April 16th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Repeated violation of the forum rules.
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

Daviddunn

Post by Daviddunn » April 17th, 2013, 1:10 am

Do one get some sort of warning before getting banned or the door of the forum just closes on one? It would be fair if one is warned so that one has a chance to correct his/her behavior on the forum.