Happy New Year! The January Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species. Discuss it now.

The February Philosophy Book of the Month is The Fourth Age by Byron Reese (Nominated by RJG.)

Beginning Philosophy Reading

Here is the place for your suggestions, comments, or questions regarding the Philosophy Forums.
L00KING
Favorite Philosopher: Me

Beginning Philosophy Reading

Post by L00KING » July 30th, 2013, 2:55 am

I am not currently in College, but, I would like to study Philosophy on my own. I have taken Ethics in College and have discussed Kant there. It would be a great service to me if someone would please help me figure out what to read first. Otherwise I might not get the basics down before I try to dive into a complicated book and try to discuss it. Does anyone have an idea of a reading list or at least two books that would start me off on the right foot? I would really appreciate help from people who actually enjoy philosophy rather than taking advice from people who don't really get anything out of philosophy for themselves personally. I hope that I am not being a nuisance in asking. Really, I would ask anyway. Thank you to anyone who replies.

Gamnot

Re: Beginning Philosophy Reading

Post by Gamnot » July 30th, 2013, 11:48 am

"Modern Philosophy" by Roger Scruton and "Practical Logic" by Barry and Soccio

L00KING

Post by L00KING » July 30th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Thank you Gamnot for responding so quickly. I truly appreciate it. I would like to add you as a friend. I hope that is agreeable to you. Thank you for giving me somewhere to start in my studies.

Gamnot

Post by Gamnot » July 30th, 2013, 10:39 pm

I would be glad to have you as a friend.

L00KING

Post by L00KING » July 31st, 2013, 2:14 am

Gamnot, I found a book while looking for the books you suggested and am reading it now. I do plan to read the books you suggested as well. The book I am reading tonight is 50 Philosophy Classics Thinking, Being, Acting, Seeing, Profound Insights and Powerful Thinking from Fifty Key Books by Tom Butler - Bowdon. I will let you know when I begin reading either of your suggested books.

Wuliheron

Post by Wuliheron » July 31st, 2013, 1:33 pm

Wittgenstein- puts previous philosophies in context.

L00KING

Post by L00KING » August 1st, 2013, 5:23 pm

Thank you WULIHERON for the suggestion. I am half way through the book I am currently reading but I will look up the description of the book you suggested right away.

Wuliheron

Post by Wuliheron » August 1st, 2013, 5:38 pm

With Wittgenstein it is his later works that are important. I recommend, "Wittgenstein's Poker" for the novice.