Discuss The True Believer

If you have purchased any recent or upcoming Philosophy Books of the Month, please email [email protected] with a copy or screenshot of your receipt, and your account will be upgraded to premium, which comes with many benefits, including but not limited to:

- Significantly reduced ads

- Posts are not held for moderation

- Ability to approve pending topics/posts in the moderation queue

- Access to official contributors' forum where you can make and vote on suggested changes to the website and policies, including the forum rules.

How do you rate The True Believer?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
No votes
2 stars - fair, okay
No votes
3 stars - good, recommend it
No votes
4 stars - excellent, amazing
100%

Total votes: 1

Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Discuss The True Believer

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Please use this topic to discuss the August 2012 book of the month, The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements by Eric Hoffer.

What do you think of the book? With which points and arguments do you agree? With which do you disagree and why?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
dogparktom
Favorite Philosopher: MICHAEL OAKESHOTT

Re: Discuss The True Believer

Post by dogparktom »

Scott wrote:Please use this topic to discuss the August 2012 book of the month, The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements by Eric Hoffer.

What do you think of the book? With which points and arguments do you agree? With which do you disagree and why?
“The burning conviction that we have a holy duty toward others is often a way of attaching our drowning selves to a passing raft. What looks like giving a hand is often a holding on for dear life. Take away our holy duties and you leave our lives puny and meaningless. There is no doubt that in exchanging a self-centered for a selfless life we gain enormously in self-esteem. The vanity of the selfless, even those who practice utmost humility, is boundless.” Hoffer, Eric (2011-05-10). The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements (Perennial Classics) (pp. 14-15). Harper Collins, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

It is strange that Hoffer does not give an example or a source relative to this comment. I submit that this “holy duty” comment certainly does not apply to the elderly couple that one frequently sees in everyday life. Usually the man is so frail that he requires the assistance of the woman. You infer that they are husband and wife, that they have been married for some fifty or sixty years. And further, you conclude that they live for each other simply from love for each other. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbF1hSCfjS8

Then, there is the caregiver, such as the the sister who cares for her paraplegic brother, twenty -four hours a day, every day, throughout the year. Why does she serve him? “holy duty?”; for her “self-esteem?”; “vanity?” No. Again it is just because of the phenomenon of human love.

Further, one must wonder if the solitary Hoffer ever loved another person or if he ever experienced being loved by another?

P.S. I'm still reading the book. But the above Hoffer quote bothered me.

-- Updated Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:47 pm to add the following --

Is anyone other than me reading The True Believer? I would like to know. Thanks.

-- Updated Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:46 pm to add the following --

Generally, after one of these mass shootings, the discussions in the media are superficial in that they usually start and end with the subject of better gun control laws as needed preventive measures. I submit that laws will not stop the fanatic who intends to commit violence against others. Hoffer's "true believer" is a perennial type of person. We can still learn from him.

Alleged Sikh temple shooter former member of Skinhead band By Heidi Beirich and Mark Potok

The man who allegedly murdered six people at a Sikh temple in suburban Milwaukee yesterday, identified in media reports as Wade Michael Page, was a frustrated neo-Nazi who had been the leader of a racist white-power band. http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/n ... nhead-band

“It is probably as true that violence breeds fanaticism as that fanaticism begets violence. It is often impossible to tell which came first. Both those who employ violence and those subject to it are likely to develop a fanatical state of mind. Ferrero says of the terrorists of the French Revolution that the more blood they “shed the more they needed to believe in their principles as absolutes. Only the absolute might still absolve them in their own eyes and sustain their desperate energy. [They] did not spill all that blood because they believed in popular sovereignty as a religious truth; they tried to believe in popular sovereignty as a religious truth because their fear made them spill so much blood.”28 The practice of terror serves the true believer not only to cow and crush his opponents but also to invigorate and intensify his own faith. Every lynching in our South not only intimidates the Negro but also invigorates the fanatical conviction of white supremacy.” (Emphasis added) Hoffer, Eric (2011-05-10). The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements (Perennial Classics) (p. 107). Harper Collins, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

-- Updated Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:49 pm to add the following --

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/n ... nhead-band

-- Updated Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:49 pm to add the following --

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/n ... nhead-band
Gamnot

Post by Gamnot »

I believe that this is a relevant quote from the book of Ecclesiastes: "As no one is discharged in time of war, so wickedness will not release those who practice it." ................ One thing that is interesting about Eric Hoffer is that he had almost no formal education.
dogparktom
Favorite Philosopher: MICHAEL OAKESHOTT

Post by dogparktom »

Generally, when there is a mass murder, or an atrocity, most people immediately think that the perpetrator must be insane, or at least mentally ill.

As I read this article this morning, http://www.twincities.com/ci_21338455/r ... cities.com I wondered what Hoffer had to say about formal mental illness, or mentally ill people in mass movements. Since I can perform a search in the book that I’m reading on my Kindle, I searched for any reference to the “mentally ill” and for persons with “mental illness”. No results appeared. I find this omission to be quite strange.

I have not completed my reading. However, I am really enjoying all of my discussions about the book with others in this forum.

-- Updated Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:27 pm to add the following --

Richard Dawkins is a fanatical atheist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dawkins I have often wondered why the atheist spends any time on religion. After all, he has made up his mind. He is firm in his unbelief. In my reading of The True Believer, I noted this possible explanation for his obsession.

I recall reading that Jacques Maritain, The Catholic Thomist philosopher, said that the militant atheist suffered from a “metaphysical anxiety.” http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/maritain/

I think that Hoffer and Maritain are saying the same thing.

“Whence comes the impulse to proselytize? Intensity of conviction is not the main factor which impels a movement to spread its faith to the four corners of the earth: “religions of great intensity often confine themselves to contemning, destroying, or at best pitying what is not themselves.”40 Nor is the impulse to proselytize an expression of an overabundance of power which as Bacon has it “is like a great flood, that will be sure to overflow.”41 The missionary zeal seems rather an expression of some deep misgiving, some pressing feeling of insufficiency at the center. Proselytizing is more a passionate search for something not yet found than a desire to bestow upon the world something we already have. It is a search for a final and irrefutable demonstration that our absolute truth is indeed the one and only truth. The proselytizing fanatic strengthens his own faith by converting others. The creed whose legitimacy is most easily challenged is likely to develop the strongest proselytizing impulse.” Hoffer, Eric (2011-05-10). The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements (Perennial Classics) (p. 110). Harper Collins, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

-- Updated Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:43 pm to add the following --

I finished rereading The True Believer. Here is the last paragraph in the book:

"J. B. S. Haldane counts fanaticism among the only four really important inventions made between 3000 B.C. and 1400 A.D.20 It was a Judaic-Christian invention. And it is strange to think that in receiving this malady of the soul the world also received a miraculous instrument for raising societies and nations from the dead—an instrument of resurrection." Hoffer, Eric (2011-05-10). The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements (Perennial Classics) (p. 168). Harper Collins, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

------------------------------- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanaticism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBS_Haldane

Disagreeing with Haldane's opinion on the nature of the cause of fanaticism, I remembered that Jacques Maritain had written on fanaticism. And I was able to find his relevant quote:

"It is nonsense to regard fanaticism as a fruit of religion. Fanaticism is a natural tendency rooted in our basic egotism and will to power. It seizes upon any noble feeling to live on it." Jacques Maritain, "Truth and Human Fellowship", p. 21

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Fanaticism

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Emotion

In your opinion, what is the fundamental cause of fanaticism?

Return to “Older Philosophy Books of the Month”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream