Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

What's This?

Please post all introductions in this forum. Tell us how you found the philosophy forums, what interests you about philosophy, and a little about you, such as your age, where you live, what you do for a living, etc.
jerlands

What's This?

Post by jerlands » February 5th, 2018, 5:32 pm

I'm looking for a fight to get into :P Actually posting as a matter of formality as this board appears to follow those constraints, so here I am.

jerlands

Re: What's This?

Post by jerlands » February 16th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Does anyone know or even question?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Post by Steve3007 » February 19th, 2018, 10:42 am

It's a picture of two half-human-half-dogs fighting over a beetle with the sun above it and a hollow spherical device with holes punched in its bottom half, filled with water, below it. Possibly watering a garden. Or at least that's what it looks like to me.

Why do you ask? How is this going to result in a fight, other than the fight between the two dogs?

jerlands

Post by jerlands » February 19th, 2018, 4:34 pm

Steve3007 wrote:
February 19th, 2018, 10:42 am
It's a picture of two half-human-half-dogs fighting over a beetle with the sun above it and a hollow spherical device with holes punched in its bottom half, filled with water, below it. Possibly watering a garden. Or at least that's what it looks like to me.

Why do you ask? How is this going to result in a fight, other than the fight between the two dogs?
First let me tell you about a great tool called TinEye, a reverse image search that allows you to find where the image is located.

Ok.. so i think it's curious. The overall impression I get is two baboons squabbling (fighting or mixing it up) over something. But I guess what I was asking is what impression do other people get?

The relief is on display at the Met in the Ptolemies section and from around 400 BC so possibly pre-Alexander. It's a teaching of how things work and what things are :) Each hand of both baboons is touching a circle and between them is a beetle and two eyes. This may not make absolute sense to anyone not familiar with Egyptian art but I think it does give an idea.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 » February 19th, 2018, 6:10 pm

Reverse image search: Yes, very useful. I like the apps that can recognize snippets of music too.

"The Met" = The Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, yes?

jerlands

Post by jerlands » February 19th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Steve3007 wrote:
February 19th, 2018, 6:10 pm
"The Met" = The Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, yes?
Yes. I should have included a link but that skipped my mind. Another thing I forgot to mention and found interesting is your thought on the watering idea which I was seeing as light rays (bits) but either way seems to be the result.

Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 » February 19th, 2018, 6:49 pm

I wasn't entirely serious with the watering idea. In reality, light rays seems much more likely.

jerlands

Post by jerlands » February 19th, 2018, 7:36 pm

The result is what I think important.