The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

I'm interested in you because...

Please post all introductions in this forum. Tell us how you found the philosophy forums, what interests you about philosophy, and a little about you, such as your age, where you live, what you do for a living, etc.
Glenn
New Trial Member

I'm interested in you because...

Post by Glenn » July 15th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Hello philosophers,

Ok I'm done lurking, time to jump in. I've posted a couple times already.

I'm interested in you (if you like philosophy) because I will learn something from you and sharpen my wits against yours. Fair enough? I'm seeing a lot of interesting conversations here, written by interesting people.

About me--briefly, I'm a 64 year old man in Southern California, retired from boring labor jobs. I never got a degree, regrettably, for reasons I don't need to go into here. If I could do it over I would have gotten a degree in philosophy. But now I don't need to do that, I can continue reading on my own. But I'm a loner and would like to talk with other philosophers, so this site looks helpful.

On Myers-Briggs psychology test I'm an INFJ, which is rare.
Introverted (I), Intuitive (N), Feeling (F) and Judging (J). (Judging means critiquing, not condemning.)
Proud of it but can't take credit--it's the result of nature and nurture you know.

All my life I've been fascinated with wonders of philosophy--cosmology, religion, consciousness, mind, metaphysics, logical argumentation, ontology, psychology, eastern philosophy like non-dualism. I have good english skills and want to put them to use.

Want to write essays on these topics and get responses from people.

I'm creative, my other hobbies are music--singing, saxophone; art; poetry.

Enough for now, see you in the forums!
Glenn

LuckyR

Re: I'm interested in you because...

Post by LuckyR » July 18th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Glenn wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 3:04 pm
Hello philosophers,

Ok I'm done lurking, time to jump in. I've posted a couple times already.

I'm interested in you (if you like philosophy) because I will learn something from you and sharpen my wits against yours. Fair enough? I'm seeing a lot of interesting conversations here, written by interesting people.

About me--briefly, I'm a 64 year old man in Southern California, retired from boring labor jobs. I never got a degree, regrettably, for reasons I don't need to go into here. If I could do it over I would have gotten a degree in philosophy. But now I don't need to do that, I can continue reading on my own. But I'm a loner and would like to talk with other philosophers, so this site looks helpful.

On Myers-Briggs psychology test I'm an INFJ, which is rare.
Introverted (I), Intuitive (N), Feeling (F) and Judging (J). (Judging means critiquing, not condemning.)
Proud of it but can't take credit--it's the result of nature and nurture you know.

All my life I've been fascinated with wonders of philosophy--cosmology, religion, consciousness, mind, metaphysics, logical argumentation, ontology, psychology, eastern philosophy like non-dualism. I have good english skills and want to put them to use.

Want to write essays on these topics and get responses from people.

I'm creative, my other hobbies are music--singing, saxophone; art; poetry.

Enough for now, see you in the forums!
Glenn

Hey Glenn, welcome. Don't let your formal education status get in the way of writing what you believe, though there is likely something of value here that you don't currently believe so be aware of the opportunity to add to your repertoire. I know I have.
"As usual... it depends."

Glenn
New Trial Member

Post by Glenn » July 18th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Thanks Lucky, it's an interesting site.

Jforeman-art
New Trial Member

Post by Jforeman-art » November 30th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Hello Glenn, from one loner to another. I’m new here also so thought introductions might be a good place to start. I’m a teacher and find little boring about it. As a teacher and artist and philosophizer I’m interested in perception and how and why we see things as we do. Please forgive my asking, but I’m curious why you used the word boring to describe your job.