Armchair philosopher

Please post all introductions in this forum. Tell us how you found the philosophy forums, what interests you about philosophy, and a little about you, such as your age, where you live, what you do for a living, etc.
Pattern-chaser
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Armchair philosopher

Post by Pattern-chaser » September 22nd, 2019, 5:33 am

I'm an autistic retired software designer with a lifelong interest in philosophy, music, reading and other hippy/tree-hugging pursuits. I have religious beliefs, which I'll be happy to talk to you about, if you ask. On forms that insist I specify my religion, I type "Gaian Daoist", which is as close to the truth as anyone needs to get! :wink:

I have no academic qualifications in philosophy, and no real interest in philosophers, but only in their ideas, their philosophy. I cherry-pick good ideas and concepts wherever I find them. Please, do you have any to offer? :wink:

I look forward to talking to you. :smile:

"Who cares, wins"

Seth_Gibson

Re: Armchair philosopher

Post by Seth_Gibson » November 15th, 2020, 12:54 am

By chance, I found this when looking through some unread posts. I am also relatively new to philosophy, but I am hoping to get a degree in it. My grandmother is a bit of a hippy in that way you describe, so I welcome that sort of stuff.

I think it is important to get to know a philosopher, as it provides some context. Knowing the historical context of a philosopher and the questions they were trying to answer can give an idea as to what they were thinking, and thus inject some useful ideas into one's head. For that, I recommend Bertrand Russel's History of Western philosophy.

You seem nice, so I look forward to continuing our discussion over at my other post.