Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

New Dude + Question

Please post all introductions in this forum. Tell us how you found the philosophy forums, what interests you about philosophy, and a little about you, such as your age, where you live, what you do for a living, etc.
Jredfox4111
New Trial Member

New Dude + Question

Post by Jredfox4111 » April 5th, 2017, 10:55 am

Hi everyone. I'm mainly interested in morality and ethics, with a little metaphysics thrown in for good fun. But I have a question.

If someone disagrees with a system they belong to, what are they supposed to do? I believe the cause of my depression is that my values fail to match the standard of values around me.

AndThenSheKnew314
New Trial Member

Re: New Dude + Question

Post by AndThenSheKnew314 » April 6th, 2017, 10:55 pm

It's not that your values fail to match the standard, it's that your values are different. To "fail" the system implies this undertone of not being what they "should" be or not being enought; but your values are pure and great because they're your own. I found that my values have never lined up with those in society, so I act upon my own and no one else's. One thing that helps is learning how to listen. Not just to listen to the shallow values we might see on the news, but to genuinely try and see what and why "society" believes what they do.

Live in your own world, but embrace the thoughts and feelings of others.