Please reassure a sceptical New Member

Please post all introductions in this forum. Tell us how you found the philosophy forums, what interests you about philosophy, and a little about you, such as your age, where you live, what you do for a living, etc.
Roobaba

Please reassure a sceptical New Member

Post by Roobaba »

Hello! I have already introduced myself, so far without any response from anyone, forum members or regulars.. not that I was expecting a reply. So having checked out other online 'discussion forums' I was hoping for it here to be more friendly and welcoming, with more intelligent people than elsewhere. One question and answer website I found, The Answerbank seems to be a lively place with plenty of daily regulars contributing to make what could be a 'must visit' destination, however I found it spoilt by a group of shall we say 'less than average intelligence' contributors who insist on belittling anyone who disagrees with their misconceived ideas that they constantly repeat. I'd guess it puts many people off contributing. Anyway, I sign up here only today to find a thread on the Philosophy of Science forum (my most likely forum to read regularly and the one I would expect to find 'scientific rigour') entitled 'The Simple Science (and Logic) of Covid' by RJG (a member since 2012) trying to peddle misconceived ideas about viruses, specifically about the current Coronavirus global pandemic. Needless to say I cannot abide such foolish 'unintelligent' behaviour, so I for one will not be posting here, until I can be reassured that the 'stupid' people are called out for their misinformation, so as to not mislead others. It wasn't until a moderator (LuckyR) posted a knowledgeable reply that I was able to feel that sense had returned. Please tell me I am not wasting my time, and becoming needlessly frustrated with what I read here. I seek truth not lies and 'fake' misguided or misinformed replies!
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Please reassure a sceptical New Member

Post by Sy Borg »

Roobaba wrote: January 6th, 2022, 9:07 am... I sign up here only today to find a thread on the Philosophy of Science forum (my most likely forum to read regularly and the one I would expect to find 'scientific rigour') entitled 'The Simple Science (and Logic) of Covid' by RJG (a member since 2012) trying to peddle misconceived ideas about viruses, specifically about the current Coronavirus global pandemic.
The thread can now be found in the Philosopher's Lounge because "Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science". It's for discussion of science and the scientific method, not hot button political issues that touch on science.

And yes, I think the thread's information is wrong too. If you are disappointed by the lack of opposition, it's because the thread creator has already started several threads on the topic and we know it's a lost cause to try to sway him. So some figure that replying is a waste of time. Annoying, but the alternative is heavy-handed moderating.

Forums will necessarily have a range of personalities. We can either ban those with whom we disagree or state an alternative case. Some philosophy forums jealously guard their quality control, ruthlessly weeding out those who are not considered "suitable". That can allow for more focused debates and fewer unsophisticated ones, as in universities, but at this forum the range of personalities is broad and the quality of debate more variable, ranging from the incomprehensibly academic to political back-and-forth, and everything in between.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Roobaba wrote: January 6th, 2022, 9:07 am Hello! I have already introduced myself, so far without any response from anyone, forum members or regulars.. not that I was expecting a reply. So having checked out other online 'discussion forums' I was hoping for it here to be more friendly and welcoming, with more intelligent people than elsewhere. One question and answer website I found, The Answerbank seems to be a lively place with plenty of daily regulars contributing to make what could be a 'must visit' destination, however I found it spoilt by a group of shall we say 'less than average intelligence' contributors who insist on belittling anyone who disagrees with their misconceived ideas that they constantly repeat. I'd guess it puts many people off contributing. Anyway, I sign up here only today to find a thread on the Philosophy of Science forum (my most likely forum to read regularly and the one I would expect to find 'scientific rigour') entitled 'The Simple Science (and Logic) of Covid' by RJG (a member since 2012) trying to peddle misconceived ideas about viruses, specifically about the current Coronavirus global pandemic. Needless to say I cannot abide such foolish 'unintelligent' behaviour, so I for one will not be posting here, until I can be reassured that the 'stupid' people are called out for their misinformation, so as to not mislead others. It wasn't until a moderator (LuckyR) posted a knowledgeable reply that I was able to feel that sense had returned. Please tell me I am not wasting my time, and becoming needlessly frustrated with what I read here. I seek truth not lies and 'fake' misguided or misinformed replies!
Ok: you are not wasting your time, though that thread can cause needless frustration when read. There are a few one trick ponies, but they're very few. The majority of topics have a plurality of opinions and experiences voiced and I have personally broadened my viewpoint on certain topics based solely on well presented arguments and observations from Forum members. We all have areas we know well and those we are unfamiliar with.
"As usual... it depends."
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

I would not sweat the lack of a reply to the new to the forum post, because a lot of people (myself included) never or almost never look at that sub-forum, and you won't be on the hot topics list either way. I would suggest that you post a topic on something that really interests you and see how it goes.

There are a select few that will turn everything back to their single issue, and they will fight any perceived attack on their bunker. It's pointless to try to follow along, and even more hopeless to try to sway them with facts or logic. But, there are a lot more people who are not that way, and some of them have a lot to say worth reading.

The mods are all among those who have taught me or pointed me to some interesting ideas in books or videos or whatever. It's easy to find a spot where we might think we would do something different, but I do think it is appropriate for a philosophy forum to allow people a lot of room. Call them on it when they are full of baloney, but don't pick and choose what ideas are appropriate for discussion.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@Roobaba

Hello again,
I don't think that you should be put off by one thread. I am sure that there all kinds of ideas on Covid_19 and other health issues on the internet. A bigger problem would be if someone produced what appeared to be a serious research study with misleading information. I have read more controversial ideas about Covid_19 in published magazines than in the thread which you are talking about. Hopefully, when people are using a philosophy forum they have a certain amount of critical thinking skill to aid their interpretation of ideas and opinions.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Roobaba wrote: January 6th, 2022, 9:07 am Hello! I have already introduced myself, so far without any response from anyone, forum members or regulars.. not that I was expecting a reply. So having checked out other online 'discussion forums' I was hoping for it here to be more friendly and welcoming, with more intelligent people than elsewhere. One question and answer website I found, The Answerbank seems to be a lively place with plenty of daily regulars contributing to make what could be a 'must visit' destination, however I found it spoilt by a group of shall we say 'less than average intelligence' contributors who insist on belittling anyone who disagrees with their misconceived ideas that they constantly repeat. I'd guess it puts many people off contributing. Anyway, I sign up here only today to find a thread on the Philosophy of Science forum (my most likely forum to read regularly and the one I would expect to find 'scientific rigour') entitled 'The Simple Science (and Logic) of Covid' by RJG (a member since 2012) trying to peddle misconceived ideas about viruses, specifically about the current Coronavirus global pandemic. Needless to say I cannot abide such foolish 'unintelligent' behaviour, so I for one will not be posting here, until I can be reassured that the 'stupid' people are called out for their misinformation, so as to not mislead others. It wasn't until a moderator (LuckyR) posted a knowledgeable reply that I was able to feel that sense had returned. Please tell me I am not wasting my time, and becoming needlessly frustrated with what I read here. I seek truth not lies and 'fake' misguided or misinformed replies!
I think the issue here is that RJG seems to have a limited set of premises and seems to lack the nuance of the reality of the impact of the pandemic.
He also seems careless of the consequnces of his suggestions, and is working with a limited goal in mind.
His goal is the speediest resolution to achieve "herd immunity" at all costs, without fully considering the massive increases on deaths that such a set of policies , asuch as he suggests, would cause, and if herd immunity were more important than human life.
My adivce would be to you to unpack this "logic" and challnege him on his limited viewpoint and offering him and more deep understanding of the consequences of his draconian solutions.
Not everyone is like him here.
But you cannot expect everyone on a Forum to comply with you own moral standards nor see their failings as easily as you can see them.
Having people like RJG helps the forum because he gives people something to argue against, as I think nearly everyone else on the Forum does. INterstingly enough he is also running a similar thread on "Philosophy Now" where he has collected some support - but this is based on political alignment and not logical argument. He has become a cheerleader for what is commonly called "covidits", and those that put personal freedom against the needs of the community for their own self interest.
It is simply a fact that some people think that their nuisence of mask wearing trumps the health of others. That is an opinion, a value position which cannot be argued against with logic.
Last edited by Sculptor1 on January 11th, 2022, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roobaba

Post by Roobaba »

Thanks for the replies and encouragement, I feel suitably reassured. Having checked out 'another philosophy forum' I think I now appreciate it here so much more. Being sensible is I guess what matters, along with as chewybrian says 'it is appropriate for a philosophy forum to allow people a lot of room.' The 'wacky philosophical wild west' here it is not, a warm feeling of 'intellectual safety' amongst thoughtful, considered and respectful individuals it most certainly is! I am so pleased to be here. :)
Kaitlyn Wadsworth
New Trial Member

Post by Kaitlyn Wadsworth »

I read your post with interest. I haven't gone to the Science forum but did post something in the Philosophy forum. I'm used to posting comments in other places than on line in online book club. Readers of my comments love them and thank me. I gather the philosophy forum is about disagreeing with what can be pulled apart to disagree with. I applauded the commentor being an expert. Thanked him for the reply. Clarified a few points he'd understood wrong. I felt very disenchanted with the forum. I'm feeling all this is hard work. I am not able to post in so many places as a new member. Haven't read all the books I've seen titles for so also can't post or comment. Am so busy doing the things I need to do that I have no time for pleasure reading. Trying to navigate and find everything is a nightmare. The latest is I have no posts tallied to date and I know that I spent hours yesterday exploring where I could, and making posts. Most of them were rejected and then I had to find out how to join the forum (Oops) to repost. To date it is recorded that I have made no posts. I have to make at least 3 a day and 20 to not be such an ignorant newbie. This isn't reassuring sorry. But you seem to be doing well. Better than me. So glad you are pleased to be here. Hope I learn how to do all this soon. Then instead of an upside down smile I will have a happy face like yours.
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

You know, I tried that at a party once. Walked up to a girl and said, "I've been here 10 minutes and you STILL haven't introduced yourself! You stuck up?" The line didn't work, just like your plaint above inspires little sympathy.

The best thing to do in a forum is to go jump into a thread. Better yet, start one.
"Mankind has no destiny. Only some men do: to recover lost divinity."---Miguel Serrano

Return to “Introductions”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream