Is The Human Existence A Work Of Art?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
FerrumIntellectus
Favorite Philosopher: Deleuze

Is The Human Existence A Work Of Art?

Post by FerrumIntellectus »

This was a topic inspired by me and Baileyboy in a thread in the Philosopher's Lounge: Males are the definition of art yes or no? I told Bailey that I felt like this discussion would be better if we encompassed human existence itself into the discussion. If we look at any Art whether it is music, or painting, or literature, there seems to exist growth and progression in all of these mediums. With painting it is a blank canvas and then with each brush stroke it eventually becomes a Mona Lisa. With music a single note soon progresses into an entire composition. Why is the human existence any different? It grows inside the womb then upon emancipation from it the fetus then becomes a baby. The baby ages into a young child the young child ages into a teen and so on and so forth until death. Perhaps where the controversy comes in about human existence being an Art is that it is dynamic. Normally when art has been created, it is immortalized in the physical world and has reached its peak. The only thing that could occur to the art at this point is a regression (Portraits burned, statues defiled, etc.) With human existence, the dynamism is constant and there is not ever truly a point until death where the human existence seems to really immerse with the reality it occupies. What do you guys think?
"The philosopher that does not take part in discussions, is like a boxer that never goes into the ring."

Ludwig Wittgenstein
Baileyboy
Favorite Philosopher: Kierkegaard

Re: Is The Human Existence A Work Of Art?

Post by Baileyboy »

Well said. To me, the human existence is captured/immortalized in other types of arts. To me, everything is beautiful. But art, is capturing what is beautiful ie in sculptures, paintings, pictures, music. Art, is just the immortalized version of beauty. If you look at a painting of a tree, it is still art. I think that instead of saying, "humans are art." It would be better to describe art as "the way humans immortalize beauty."

Side note: have you ever seen the movie "Bang Bang Club?" It's about photographers capturing the genocide in South Africa. It's pretty interesting. You should check it out.
The pebble perpetuates nothing more than it's own memory.
FerrumIntellectus

Well said. To me, the human existence is captured/immortalized in other types of arts. To me, everything is beautiful. But art, is capturing what is beautiful ie in sculptures, paintings, pictures, music. Art, is just the immortalized version of beauty. If you look at a painting of a tree, it is still art. I think that instead of saying, "humans are art." It would be better to describe art as "the way humans immortalize beauty."
So if immortalizing beauty is how you personally define the existence of Art than the human existence in itself could never become art? For after all, the human existence ultimately ends at one stage or another. So the human existence by itself, can only hope to achieve explosions of beauty with their actions/progressions. These forms of beauty are ephemeral and thus the human existence seems dependent on these other mediums to truly achieve a more concrete form of beauty.
Side note: have you ever seen the movie "Bang Bang Club?" It's about photographers capturing the genocide in South Africa. It's pretty interesting. You should check it out.
No I have not. Thanks for the recommendation.
"The philosopher that does not take part in discussions, is like a boxer that never goes into the ring."

Ludwig Wittgenstein
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

FerrumIntellectus wrote:. Why is the human existence any different? It grows inside the womb then upon emancipation from it the fetus then becomes a baby. The baby ages into a young child the young child ages into a teen and so on and so forth until death.?
In principle, doesn't this apply to just about any living thing? Are insects and plants art, as well?

The next time I see a spider on my living room wall should I look at it as if it were an old master?
FerrumIntellectus

In principle, doesn't this apply to just about any living thing? Are insects and plants art, as well?

The next time I see a spider on my living room wall should I look at it as if it were an old master?
Sound point Harbal. Yes I believe it would apply to all living things so as not to be hypocritical.

Ludwig Wittgenstein
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

FerrumIntellectus wrote:
Sound point Harbal. Yes I believe it would apply to all living things so as not to be hypocritical.
This what I like about you. Whatever I say, you make me feel like I've made a vaid contribution.
FerrumIntellectus

Well you do. You are a well spoken and insightful individual. One thing I should have brought up in the opening thread however that I should have is this: We have three ways of potentially viewing the human existence as Art.

1.) Biologically- The very design of human beings from eye color all the way to muscle mass. Our Biology though succumbs to dynamism which still would fall under a kind of breathing art.

2.) Our Actions- From the grandiose such as when the Joker blows up a hospital in The Dark Knight and Andrew Carnegie's Philanthropy and wealth to the more simple and subtle things like a Mother rocking her baby to sleep or a farmer cultivating his crops.

3.) BioloAction- A dualism of the other two singular vantage points. Think about a biologically "beautiful" person committing a heinous murder (Jodi Arias would fit this bill for some) Or a biologically "ugly" person committing beautiful acts. Personally, I believe this dualism is the closest we can get to viewing the human existence itself as Art

Ludwig Wittgenstein
Baileyboy

Post by Baileyboy »

FI,

Would it be possible that we are above art? If we look at the definition of art, 1. art - the creation of beautiful or significant things. 2.art - the products of human creativity. Since we create it, aren't we technically above it? Who was more powerful Charlemagne? Or the pope? The pope created the Holy Roman Empiror. Wouldn't that make the pope more powerful then him? If humans create art, aren't humans above art?
FerrumIntellectus

Would it be possible that we are above art? If we look at the definition of art, 1. art - the creation of beautiful or significant things. 2.art - the products of human creativity. Since we create it, aren't we technically above it? Who was more powerful Charlemagne? Or the pope? The pope created the Holy Roman Emperor. Wouldn't that make the pope more powerful then him? If humans create art, aren't humans above art?
Excellent observation Bailey! I am just beaming with pride! :D Being creators puts us in opposition with Art but still in relation to it in the form of being Artists. However this leads to an even far more profound question; If Art is the creation of beautiful or significant things, then who was our Artist? If you are an Atheist such as myself, Science was our artist and created a masterpiece without consciousness. If you are a Theologian you believe God created us and he possessed the consciousness to both intelligently and artistically design us. Which begs an even further question: If we accept the human existence itself as art does art then require consciousness? What must an artist possess to truly create Art?

Ludwig Wittgenstein
Baileyboy

Post by Baileyboy »

FerrumIntellectus wrote: Excellent observation Bailey! I am just beaming with pride! :D Being creators puts us in opposition with Art but still in relation to it in the form of being Artists. However this leads to an even far more profound question; If Art is the creation of beautiful or significant things, then who was our Artist? If you are an Atheist such as myself, Science was our artist and created a masterpiece without consciousness. If you are a Theologian you believe God created us and he possessed the consciousness to both intelligently and artistically design us. Which begs an even further question: If we accept the human existence itself as art does art then require consciousness? What must an artist possess to truly create Art?
That my friend, we could be talking about until the end in time and we would still be at the same place we are today. As Kierkegaard would say, "You either believe, or you don't." There's no point in pretending you do if you don't.

As for your questions, I don't know. I think the artist needs a consciousness, because with out a consciousness, you have no perception of beauty. I think the artist must possess his own point of viewing the world. I think they need to at least perceive reality.

Art is a way of declaring existence, as is photography. The nature of the photographer has changed, but we are still desperately trying to prove that our lives have meaning in a meaningless universe. We line our walls with family pictures to put an end to any belief that we inconsequential. We're constantly searching for the right words or the right images to clearly depict what it is to live. Technology and art project those stories into the world because there's nothing we love more than sharing our perceived notions- with hope that our observations are me with applause rather than an echo.
FerrumIntellectus

Art is a way of declaring existence, as is photography. The nature of the photographer has changed, but we are still desperately trying to prove that our lives have meaning in a meaningless universe. We line our walls with family pictures to put an end to any belief that we are inconsequential. We're constantly searching for the right words or the right images to clearly depict what it is to live. Technology and art project those stories into the world because there's nothing we love more than sharing our perceived notions- with hope that our observations are met with applause rather than an echo.
This was brilliantly stated. Especially the final two statements which, the more I read them, the truer they become. We are constantly seeking that medium that can convey to perfection the nature of existence. Perhaps if people forced those energies inward they would discover the power they possessed as mediums in themselves and truly make worthwhile Art.

Ludwig Wittgenstein
Baileyboy

Post by Baileyboy »

FerrumIntellectus wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

This was brilliantly stated. Especially the final two statements which, the more I read them, the truer they become. We are constantly seeking that medium that can convey to perfection the nature of existence. Perhaps if people forced those energies inward they would discover the power they possessed as mediums in themselves and truly make worthwhile Art.
Thank you, but I think that In the face of absurd nature, we create structured stories because it comforts us as human beings. I think this could be applied not only to art, but to religion too.
FerrumIntellectus

Thank you, but I think that In the face of absurd nature, we create structured stories because it comforts us as human beings. I think this could be applied not only to art, but to religion too.
Solid point. Ever since I mentioned consciousness and its relationship to Art it has had me thinking more about Phenomenology and how it influences Aesthetics. Perhaps that will be my next essay after covering Physicalism. I have never truly given the relationship between consciousness and these mediums much thought before. One only need to look at a prodigy such as Mozart, or Beethoven being deaf as far as music is concerned to see the potential for such a relationship.

Ludwig Wittgenstein
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Phenomenology and how it influences Aesthetics
I'd like to read that. Phenomenology and aesthetics: I wonder, what phenomenologist and what art do you have in mind for an essay?

And FerrumIntellectus: I notice your favorite philosopher is Kierkegaard. For him, absurdity was the very dynamics of redemption. He was no Camus and for him, the world was not "meaningless" as you seem to believe.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream