Can art be bad?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Mattmaximillian
Favorite Philosopher: Nietzsche

Can art be bad?

Post by Mattmaximillian »

I was wondering if Art can be objectively bad? There is some music out there that I find flat out terrible and despise the fact that come songs can actually qualify as 'music'. Music is meant to stimulate life and make it even more exhilarating. Would anyone agree that there are some artists and songs that truly fail to stimulate life? Any thoughts?
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."- Nietzsche
Shadowfax

Re: Can art be bad?

Post by Shadowfax »

Everyone's perceptions are different. If I thought heavy metal was bad music, another person might think it's the best music they've ever heard. None of us can prove the other wrong because we only have access to one perception. So art can be 'bad' in the eyes of the one person who thinks it so. But generally, it cannot be classed as 'bad' art. So no, I guess there is no such thing as bad art.
Mattmaximillian

I see. I've been to art museums before, and some canvases have just a line of paint down the center of it, nothing more. Is this art? I say no, how can that strip of paint stimulate life?
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."- Nietzsche
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

It's bad in your opinion. But you do not speak on behalf of everybody, because you perceive that artwork through your own perception. Perception and opinion is warped by our personal contexts, and everyone's perception and context is different. Therefore you cannot say it's bad art. In your opinion it might be. But art cannot possibly be 'voted' or deemed bad or not, because we can't step into another person's perception, and say one person's opinion is more worthy than another's when critiquing art.
Michaelpearson

Post by Michaelpearson »

So that which is good or bad art is a purely subjective matter? I too have seen some absolutely pathetic pieces. Is consensus involved in the judgement of a piece of art. And what is pure subjectivity? Can it be represented in art?
Mattmaximillian

If I look at a blank piece of paper on my table before I eat breakfast, can I consider that art?
Michaelpearson

Post by Michaelpearson »

Thought and labour went into the production of the blank piece of paper in a way analogous to that in which thought and labour go into the production of a work of art. The blank piece of paper can be considered as a canvass at least. It may entice you to, in some way, represent yourself on it at which point, I suppose, it may have become art. If you were to doodle on it that could definitely be considered as art. Some would say "Yes" and some would say "No" hence the question being posed I suppose.
Mattmaximillian

So are we all to agree that everything that the eye can see can be considered art? Absolutely anything?
Michaelpearson

Post by Michaelpearson »

I'd say No. Can natural forms of life be considered as art? A lot of artistic endeavour is the re presentation of natural form.
Percepeg

Post by Percepeg »

I think that visual art, music and poetry are expressions of an idea – just as language is. If we are moved emotionally by any of these ‘languages’ we judge it as good, if not, the communication has failed and the piece of art means nothing to us and we judge it to be bad.

Nature, I think, is a fantastically successful ‘artist’ – her productions regularly resonating with us on very deep emotional levels.

But I don’t think any human art can be intrinsically ‘bad.’ It can be unsuccessful, although rarely (if ever) totally unsuccessful.
Michaelpearson

Post by Michaelpearson »

I certainly agree that success does not always equate to quality in artistic terms. And that "natural productions" can resonate with us at very deep emotional levels. Art that resonates at a very deep emotional level can be considered to be of a very high quality.
Fafner88
Favorite Philosopher: Wittgenstein

Post by Fafner88 »

Of course there can be a bad art. In every genre or style of art there are certain criteria which define what considered good or bad in that given style. Are there any more general aesthetic criteria which define 'good art' across different genres or styles (like pop and classical music)? I'm not sure, I think it's sometimes yes and sometimes no. I can't for example understand Indian or Japanese music, it sounds too alien to me, I feel as though it should be listened in a completely different way then I listen to the music I know and understand.

As to the objective/subjective debate, I don't quite understand what is it all about. What it takes for a piece of art to be 'objectively' good or bad? Does it require universal agreement? People disagree all the time about facts, and yet we don't think that everything we disagree on is 'subjective' (like history science etc.). Artists put a lot of effort to perfect their skills in order to create better works, what would be the point of that if art were merely 'subjective'? It isn't 'subjective' in the sense that 'good' and 'bad' are defined by my subjective (say emotional) responses (or anyone's else) to a given piece of art, because no one cares about that. What really matter is the shared practices and traditions between the participants in a given art form (the artist, the audience, the critiques etc.), which give the background against which the art is judged. To ask about the practice is it 'subjective' or 'objective' doesn't make sense, since the meaning and the porpoise of the practice is given 'from within', and once you understand it this question doesn't arise (no one tries to justify to himself or others why he listens to music).
Michaelpearson

Post by Michaelpearson »

I agree with a lot of what you have to say but people do not disagree all the time about actual facts. A fact is that which is the case and people tend to agree about that which is the case. "That car is silver" is a fact if the car has, for the sake of argument, silver paint. History is not a good example of a set of facts because, like art, it is open to interpretation. (History repeats itself it just gets the details wrong).
Mattmaximillian

What I really want to get at is this: is art based merely on opinion? Are there sounds, or sights, that all humans can come together and say "This is significantly bad". I think that this is quite impossible to happen.
Fafner88
Favorite Philosopher: Wittgenstein

Post by Fafner88 »

Mattmaximillian wrote:What I really want to get at is this: is art based merely on opinion? Are there sounds, or sights, that all humans can come together and say "This is significantly bad". I think that this is quite impossible to happen.
From the fact that people disagree about something, it doesn't follow that people 'merely have an opinion'. So if we take an extreme case, it's very unlikely that all people will ever agree on a question like the existence of God, does it make his existence 'subjective'? Or let's take an intermediate case, what's more objective- to use the metric or the British system for measurement? Or better, is it more objective to measure people's height with meters or light years (or microns)? In one sense it's a matter of pure convention, and yet nobody in his right mind will use light years... It shows that the objective/subjective distinction is not sharp, but there are gradations. Art is maybe not like science, and yet it's also not like testing ice cream.

And let's suppose that all people would eventually agree in their judgments about art (a purely contingent matter), will it make necessarily art 'objective'? Suppose you didn't liked a certain song, and yet all of humanity disagreed with you (it's a really great song). Would it change your judgment? It's not very clear what 'objectivity' in art suppose to mean.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream