The two-facedness of biology

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Re: The two-facedness of biology

Post by Obvious Leo »

Misty wrote:Minds observe nature/purpose.
Minds do not observe anything. They receive information via the senses and construct this information into a meaningful representation of their external environment. Thus purpose is a construct of mind, not of nature.

Regards Leo
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Misty wrote:Minds observe nature/purpose.
Minds do not observe anything. They receive information via the senses and construct this information into a meaningful representation of their external environment. Thus purpose is a construct of mind, not of nature.

Regards Leo
Like I said, minds observe their surroundings, we all know the process. What about the rest of my previous post?
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Obvious Leo wrote:The point that seems to be being missed here is that it is LIFE itself that evolves. The fate of its component parts is a trivial irrelevance, as good an argument against intelligent design as one could wish for. "Pitiless indifference" is an accurate enough description but an emotion-laden one. Applied to a self-organising system it is simply anthropomorphic and meaningless
True, that's the big picture, but we live in a personal world with personal concerns. Don't you? :). From our perspective nature is pitiless - earthquakes, storms, floods, bushfires, earthquakes, tsunamis, avalanches, asteroids and sink holes show no mercy. Nature occasionally crushes us like a SUV running over a small lizard.

No living creature being eaten alive would be comforted by the fact that their suffering is mere collateral damage in the grander story of life. We don't mourn for our anonymous early forbears thousands of years ago huddled in caves, who acted as a link in the chain leading towards us today, but they and theirs did obviously mourn their losses.

A person living in the wrong part of Beijing in 2007 may have understood the Chinese government's need to bulldoze their homes to make way for Olympic Games infrastructure, but they were surely entitled to complain about their situation. By the same token, we may appreciate our tiny role as a link in the chain of life, but we are entitled to be unimpressed when entropy happens to us. RD was just empathising with the animals and I agree with his sentiments, for what it's worth.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Misty wrote: What about the rest of my previous post?
I felt that I'd already covered it, Misty. You with your mind see purpose built into nature whereas I with my mind see only an overall trend towards complexity. Since evolving systems cannot behave otherwise I see no need for purpose. All this proves is that different minds see different things, a truth which hardly needs telling. If you want to turn this into yet another argument about intelligent design then you can count me out. Getting older has little to recommend it but one of the few upsides is that we learn the meaning of the word "futility".

Regards Leo
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Misty wrote: What about the rest of my previous post?
I felt that I'd already covered it, Misty. You with your mind see purpose built into nature whereas I with my mind see only an overall trend towards complexity. Since evolving systems cannot behave otherwise I see no need for purpose. All this proves is that different minds see different things, a truth which hardly needs telling. If you want to turn this into yet another argument about intelligent design then you can count me out. Getting older has little to recommend it but one of the few upsides is that we learn the meaning of the word "futility".

Regards Leo
No, Obvious Leo, you did not address it - you side-stepped it. You want it both ways but that won't work. I asked about a previous comment you made about God that now contradicts your comment about nature.

Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Greta wrote: RD was just empathising with the animals and I agree with his sentiments, for what it's worth.
So do I Greta and I agree with the rest of your post as well. I'm a nature lover and live in the middle of a forest surrounded by wildlife. Only a few nights ago I watched an owl take a possum off the power lines across the road. I shed a tear for the poor wee bugger and also managed to admire the owl for his skill. Since I'm not a vegetarian any other response would have been sheer hypocrisy. Being a realist is not the same as being cold-hearted, I hope you'll agree.

Misty wrote: Then why would you call the workings of the universe including our bodies flawed and if created by a God that he/she was inept about it?
Is this the comment you're referring to? If so you're taking me far too literally. Since I deny the existence of your creator god you may assume that any commentary I offer on his competence is facetious. However I must observe that a half-pissed engineering student with a smattering of biology could design a more efficient human being with his eyes shut. This is also a facetious statement.

Regards Leo
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Misty wrote: Then why would you call the workings of the universe including our bodies flawed and if created by a God that he/she was inept about it?
Is this the comment you're referring to? If so you're taking me far too literally. Since I deny the existence of your creator god you may assume that any commentary I offer on his competence is facetious. However I must observe that a half-pissed engineering student with a smattering of biology could design a more efficient human being with his eyes shut. This is also a facetious statement.

Regards Leo
OK. I now understand you in a different light. I will be more careful not to take you literally. I tend to take people by their word. I do so enjoy interaction with you.

Humans depend on the purpose of nature for their very life. So to say nature has no purpose is not true.

Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Misty. In general I prefer it if people do take me fairly literally. However in the context of this particular conversation I would have thought that the metaphorical nature of my comment was obvious, given that my views on the existence of the creator are no secret. Perhaps my schtick is getting too subtle.

Regards Leo
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Greta wrote: RD was just empathising with the animals and I agree with his sentiments, for what it's worth.
Obvious Leo wrote:So do I Greta and I agree with the rest of your post as well. I'm a nature lover and live in the middle of a forest surrounded by wildlife. Only a few nights ago I watched an owl take a possum off the power lines across the road. I shed a tear for the poor wee bugger and also managed to admire the owl for his skill. Since I'm not a vegetarian any other response would have been sheer hypocrisy. Being a realist is not the same as being cold-hearted, I hope you'll agree.
Yes. The cruelty of nature astonishes me. The expendability of each form. The way they perish. The untreated wounds, parasites, the lack of shelter or hygiene, the privations, watching their young being eaten, being eaten by their young, eating their young ... even as I type millions of creatures are having their guts sucked out or chewed on. Never mind the hundreds of human deaths and countless physical and emotional hurts experienced while this post is being written.

At the same time, being alive at all would seem something for which to be profoundly grateful.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Being a realist is not the same as being cold-hearted, I hope you'll agree.
I'm not sure I do.

A realist would simply observe that things change. We accept this about most of the material world - we would think it very odd to get sentimental over the evaporation of water or the erosion of pebbles on the beach. We rarely get sentimental about the death and decay of plants. So why would a realist think it appropriate to have feelings about an arbitrary selection of vertebrates?
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Obvious Leo wrote:Misty. In general I prefer it if people do take me fairly literally. However in the context of this particular conversation I would have thought that the metaphorical nature of my comment was obvious, given that my views on the existence of the creator are no secret. Perhaps my schtick is getting too subtle.

Regards Leo
I will try again. You and all humans use nature to sustain your life so how can nature be without purpose? The nature of nature engages its purpose by all life.

Theophane
Favorite Philosopher: C.S. Lewis

Post by Theophane »

Obvious Leo wrote:The point that seems to be being missed here is that it is LIFE itself that evolves. The fate of its component parts is a trivial irrelevance, as good an argument against intelligent design as one could wish for. "Pitiless indifference" is an accurate enough description but an emotion-laden one. Applied to a self-organising system it is simply anthropomorphic and meaningless but applied to a creator god it is nothing short of barbaric. The god of the creationists is a sadist.

Regards Leo
Well then, Leo, what's the use in complaining about the pitiless indifference of a self-organizing system?
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Misty. Surely you're the one being metaphorical this time. I understand what you mean when you say that we as humans"use" nature, and its also fair to say that as the uber-predator we don't use nature very wisely. It strikes me as unwise because we are embedded within it and treating it as an inexhaustible resource can only bode ill for our own future well-being. The autopoietic nature of living systems means that they are self-regulating and where local environmental stresses occur various such self-regulating mechanisms can initiate to restore homeostasis, which is just a fancy word in biology for equilibrium. Once again being entirely anthropomorphic and metaphorical we could say that if we get too big for our boots then nature will find a way to put us back in our place.

There is ample evidence that this is already occurring. The incidence of auto-immune disorders in the human population has increased by 1000% in the past two generations. The immune system is the biological interface between us and our biosphere and when the biosphere is stressed the rate of evolution in the microbiome is accelerated. We are host to tens of thousands of different species of micro-organisms, most of which are crucial to our biochemistry. If we mess with their environment they will evolve strategies to deal with it and because they reproduce so quickly they can do so very rapidly. The so-called superbugs, or antibiotic-resistant bacteria, are an excellent example. Under certain conditions a bacterium can modify 30% of its genome in 24 hours, mostly through lateral gene transfer. This means that in the space of a day a bacterium can make a genetic change greater than if a human were to turn into a banana. ( This is literally true, not metaphorically true on this occasion. ). That's how quickly evolution can occur in the microbiological world and this can cause rapid and major changes in the host organism, including death of course. Under environmental stress microbe species will also change hosts from one species to another, a problem which in recent decades has caused untold problems for our own species. (HIV, Ebola, Bird flu, Swine flu, SARS etc.)

Nature doesn't need a purpose to effect all these changes because to assume this is to assume reverse causation. All she needs is simple thermodynamics. A system out of equilibrium seeks to restore itself to its lowest energy state, so in this sense nature is no different from a non-living physical system.

There's a lot of good literature available on this subject because evolutionary biology has come a long way in the last couple of decades. I'd be happy to provide you with a short list of very readable titles if you're interested.
Misty wrote:The nature of nature engages its purpose by all life.
This is an arresting quote and could just as easily be applied to my perspective as yours.

Regards Leo
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Obvious Leo wrote:Misty. Surely you're the one being metaphorical this time. I understand what you mean when you say that we as humans"use" nature, and its also fair to say that as the uber-predator we don't use nature very wisely. It strikes me as unwise because we are embedded within it and treating it as an inexhaustible resource can only bode ill for our own future well-being. The autopoietic nature of living systems means that they are self-regulating and where local environmental stresses occur various such self-regulating mechanisms can initiate to restore homeostasis, which is just a fancy word in biology for equilibrium. Once again being entirely anthropomorphic and metaphorical we could say that if we get too big for our boots then nature will find a way to put us back in our place.

There is ample evidence that this is already occurring. The incidence of auto-immune disorders in the human population has increased by 1000% in the past two generations. The immune system is the biological interface between us and our biosphere and when the biosphere is stressed the rate of evolution in the microbiome is accelerated. We are host to tens of thousands of different species of micro-organisms, most of which are crucial to our biochemistry. If we mess with their environment they will evolve strategies to deal with it and because they reproduce so quickly they can do so very rapidly. The so-called superbugs, or antibiotic-resistant bacteria, are an excellent example. Under certain conditions a bacterium can modify 30% of its genome in 24 hours, mostly through lateral gene transfer. This means that in the space of a day a bacterium can make a genetic change greater than if a human were to turn into a banana. ( This is literally true, not metaphorically true on this occasion. ). That's how quickly evolution can occur in the microbiological world and this can cause rapid and major changes in the host organism, including death of course. Under environmental stress microbe species will also change hosts from one species to another, a problem which in recent decades has caused untold problems for our own species. (HIV, Ebola, Bird flu, Swine flu, SARS etc.)

Nature doesn't need a purpose to effect all these changes because to assume this is to assume reverse causation. All she needs is simple thermodynamics. A system out of equilibrium seeks to restore itself to its lowest energy state, so in this sense nature is no different from a non-living physical system.

There's a lot of good literature available on this subject because evolutionary biology has come a long way in the last couple of decades. I'd be happy to provide you with a short list of very readable titles if you're interested.
Misty wrote:The nature of nature engages its purpose by all life.
This is an arresting quote and could just as easily be applied to my perspective as yours.

Regards Leo
"This is an arresting quote and could just as easily be applied to my perspective as yours." No, it can't Leo because your perspective does not believe nature has a purpose.

Auto immune diseases and chronic illnesses are manmade maladies. It is starting to come to light and instead of the current medical nonsense and Big Pharma lies, humans are and will honor the human body and mind for its intelligence to heal itself with the right nutrition and life force of water.

Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Misty wrote:Auto immune diseases and chronic illnesses are manmade maladies.
What was his purpose for making them and how did he get nature to co-operate? If you'd said man-caused instead of man-made then we're saying the same thing. Did we anticipate our own future state and then engineer the appropriate circumstances to bring this state about? That's what purpose is and to suggest that nature has such a capacity is an extraordinary claim which would require extraordinary proof.

Regards Leo

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream