Topics Now Require Approval

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Topics Now Require Approval

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Please note, a way to not have one's topics held for moderation is to become a queue moderator.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Roel
Favorite Philosopher: Hegel

Post by Roel »

Scott wrote:Please note, a way to not have one's topics held for moderation is to become a queue moderator.
I think a problem with this is that someone would become a queue moderator to get topics approved and the chance that bad topics get approved. I let my topics get approved by othermoderators because it's unfairin my opinion, if I judge my own topic, I might not observe certain mistakes which other moderators observe.

-- Updated December 22nd, 2014, 12:57 pm to add the following --
Roel wrote:
Scott wrote:Please note, a way to not have one's topics held for moderation is to become a queue moderator.
I think a problem with this is that someone would become a queue moderator to get topics approved and the chance that bad topics get approved. I let my topics get approved by othermoderators because it's unfairin my opinion, if I judge my own topic, I might not observe certain mistakes which other moderators observe.
I write with my mobile right now, therefore some words don't have spaces.
"Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong. They are conflicts between two rights." - Friedrich Hegel
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Roel wrote:
I think a problem with this is that someone would become a queue moderator to get topics approved and the chance that bad topics get approved. I let my topics get approved by other moderators because it's unfair in my opinion, if I judge my own topic, I might not observe certain mistakes which other moderators observe.
My view is that to be a queue moderator we must be able to generally trust one to judge whether a post adhere to the rules or not. If a queue moderator is found to be approving (or making) posts that are rule-breaking or disapproving posts that are not rule-breaking with a small degree of frequency, then that person would not be a queue moderator anymore.

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Scott wrote:
Roel wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

I think a problem with this is that someone would become a queue moderator to get topics approved and the chance that bad topics get approved. I let my topics get approved by other moderators because it's unfair in my opinion, if I judge my own topic, I might not observe certain mistakes which other moderators observe.
My view is that to be a queue moderator we must be able to generally trust one to judge whether a post adhere to the rules or not. If a queue moderator is found to be approving (or making) posts that are rule-breaking or disapproving posts that are not rule-breaking with a small degree of frequency, then that person would not be a queue moderator anymore.
Yes, I can agree here with you. A moderator should take his or her task seriously
"Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong. They are conflicts between two rights." - Friedrich Hegel
Okisites
Favorite Philosopher: Nature

Post by Okisites »

I wanted to ask Administrators and Moderators that if my topic can be rejected on the basis of weak grammar(but still understandable), then how can I be allowed(or not banned) to post on other topics? Isn't it mean that if my grammar (or anybody else's grammar) is weak, he/she should be banned from participating in the forum, OR moderators should moderate each and every replies to the topic?

I think Topics are more important than Replies to Topics, because A topic involves too many replies, which most probably be perfectly adhering to rules. Needless to say that it also involves thoughts, logic, better understanding and solutions and maybe much more. But I don't understand that why Replies are given more importance and ignore for their mistakes, than the Topic itself. What is the proper logic in these kind of rules of posting new topics?

And moreover, what is the logic behind disapproving the topic because someone's grammar is not perfect, on logical ground? Doesn't it seems like saying that if the person can't speak with proper grammar(even if it is understandable), then he/she must not be allowed to speak anything? Isn't it seems like a rule to suppress freedom of speech? This rule itself seems to be against logic, quite frankly.

I can ask too many question with regards to this rule, but I will just trying to get the answers of the above. What is the logical answer of above questions?
Get the facts, or the facts will get you. And when you get them, get them right, or they will get you wrong.” ― Thomas Fuller
Roel

Post by Roel »

Okisites wrote:I wanted to ask Administrators and Moderators that if my topic can be rejected on the basis of weak grammar(but still understandable), then how can I be allowed(or not banned) to post on other topics? Isn't it mean that if my grammar (or anybody else's grammar) is weak, he/she should be banned from participating in the forum, OR moderators should moderate each and every replies to the topic?

I think Topics are more important than Replies to Topics, because A topic involves too many replies, which most probably be perfectly adhering to rules. Needless to say that it also involves thoughts, logic, better understanding and solutions and maybe much more. But I don't understand that why Replies are given more importance and ignore for their mistakes, than the Topic itself. What is the proper logic in these kind of rules of posting new topics?

And moreover, what is the logic behind disapproving the topic because someone's grammar is not perfect, on logical ground? Doesn't it seems like saying that if the person can't speak with proper grammar(even if it is understandable), then he/she must not be allowed to speak anything? Isn't it seems like a rule to suppress freedom of speech? This rule itself seems to be against logic, quite frankly.

I can ask too many question with regards to this rule, but I will just trying to get the answers of the above. What is the logical answer of above questions?
I think that the idea behind this rule is not surpression, but clarity. If you don't use commas or don't use certain words, because that's easier, it makes it harder to understand what you mean. Also, I 'm one of the few non-english speakers as a first language here, yet my posts are accepted, because my english is not perfect, but good enough to understand me. This rule exists for people which create an unreadable or not very clear post because of their grammar.
Last edited by Roel on December 23rd, 2014, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Okisites, if you do not like one of the forum rules, please make a new topic in the feedback section suggesting that rule be changed or deleted. If you think a moderator deleted/disapproved a post of yours that was not rule-breaking, you must start a new topic in the feedback section for that complaint that adheres to the Procedure for Complaining about Moderator Actions. If you think a post by someone else is rule-breaking, you must use the report button to report it, per the forum rules.

In none of those 3 cases does your concern belong as a reply to this topic which is about the new policy change to hold new topics by all members in the moderation queue. This forum has over two hundred thousands posts; It is important that they be organized properly meaning that each post is on-topic in the topic in which is contained and each topic is on-topic in the forum in which it is contained.

Okisites
Favorite Philosopher: Nature

Post by Okisites »

Scott wrote:Okisites, if you do not like one of the forum rules, please make a new topic in the feedback section suggesting that rule be changed or deleted.
What if that too will get disapproved?
Get the facts, or the facts will get you. And when you get them, get them right, or they will get you wrong.” ― Thomas Fuller
Roel

Post by Roel »

Okisites wrote:
Scott wrote:Okisites, if you do not like one of the forum rules, please make a new topic in the feedback section suggesting that rule be changed or deleted.
I will help you to correct possible grammar mistakes. I don't see any problem with your topic personally.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Okisites wrote:
The Procedure for Complaining about Moderator Actions is not that hard to follow. In any case, if your topic gets disapproved, simply correct the mistakes that caused it to be against the forum rules and repost. Procedure for Complaining about Moderator Actions are simply a very elaborated explanation of how the forum rules will apply to complaints about moderator actions so that there is even less room for confusion.

Newme

Post by Newme »

GaianDave51 wrote:I just banged up against this new policy when trying to open a new thread in The Philosophy of Politics forum. Yes, my new thread is controversial. Yes, anyone dealing with it could find themselves on a gov't watch list. But I'm asking the readership here a question I need help with! I need advice!

Scott, if you want good spelling, grammar and syntax, add a "Preview with Auto-Edit" button under the post, and run it through a good one, like Word's (c). If that costs too much, in your view, ask for donations. You'll be surprised how many of us will pony up.

But if this policy in any way tends towards censorship, it really sucks a pustule, and I'll be outta here in a New York second.
I agree that generally, this new policy of censorship is counter to the purpose of philosophy. Also, the edit option needs to be back in place, ideally. Who wants to spend one's limited time creating posts only to have them disappear for approval (censorship)? It's BS and I can guess who's idea this was.

-- Updated January 12th, 2015, 8:48 pm to add the following --
So either be censored or censor? Come on, Scott! Did you really have this as part of your intention for this forum? I used to like this forum for the general respect toward freedom of speech and getting all thoughts out there to either be slammed because of logical fallacy or ethical issues, or to continue to stand against scrutiny. Now, it seems that many thoughts won't have a chance. Please allow freedom to post as before.

Is space on this forum the issue? If so, could you just delete inactive threads beyond a certain year in the past?
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Newme wrote:I agree that generally, this new policy of censorship [...]
There is no new policy of censorship. What are you talking about? This topic is about having moderates check to see if a new topic follows the forum rules before it is posted publicly instead of the moderators deleting the topic after it has been posted. The forum rules have not changed.
Newme wrote:Who wants to spend one's limited time creating posts only to have them disappear for approval (censorship)?
If one wants to be on a forum in which the forum rules we have that make this forum unique one is welcome to go there. There are many places on the internet to have unmoderated discussions, or to have discussions that are moderated according to a different rule set.

The new policy of having new topics held for moderations seems to be very effective at enforcing the rules in the most user-friendly way. The previous way of deleting topics after they were posted and temporarily displayed was not as user-friendly, in my opinion.
Newme wrote:So either be censored or censor? Come on, Scott!
I never said anything about censorship. How about we call it help the moderation team enforce the forum rules or stop complaining about the policy changes make the volunteer moderators' jobs easier?
Newme wrote:Did you really have this as part of your intention for this forum?
Have what as my intention?
Newme wrote:I used to like this forum for the general respect toward freedom of speech and getting all thoughts out there to either be slammed because of logical fallacy or ethical issues, or to continue to stand against scrutiny. Now, it seems that many thoughts won't have a chance. Please allow freedom to post as before.
None of those policies have changed. They are all covered in the forum rules. The forum rules haven't changed.
Newme wrote:Is space on this forum the issue? If so, could you just delete inactive threads beyond a certain year in the past?
Space is not an issue at all. The issue is it is more tedious, time-consuming and user-unfriendly to delete rule-breaking topics after they have been posted instead of before. If you go #1 of the forum rules and look at the last sentence, there is a link entitled "this clarification on how forum discussions are simultaneously uncensored and strictly moderated". That--like all the other forum rules--has been there long before this new policy change in when topics are moderated. The ruleset against which the decision to allow or disallow a topic to be posted has not changed. So I don't know what all this talk about 'new censorship' is about.

-- Updated 13 Jan 2015 12:43 am to add the following --
Newme wrote:I agree that generally, this new policy of censorship [...]
There is no new policy of censorship. What are you talking about? This topic is about having moderates check to see if a new topic follows the forum rules before it is posted publicly instead of the moderators deleting the topic after it has been posted. The forum rules have not changed.
Newme wrote:Who wants to spend one's limited time creating posts only to have them disappear for approval (censorship)?
If one wants to be on a forum in which the forum rules we have that make this forum unique one is welcome to go there. There are many places on the internet to have unmoderated discussions, or to have discussions that are moderated according to a different rule set.

The new policy of having new topics held for moderations seems to be very effective at enforcing the rules in the most user-friendly way. The previous way of deleting topics after they were posted and temporarily displayed was not as user-friendly, in my opinion.
Newme wrote:So either be censored or censor? Come on, Scott!
I never said anything about censorship. How about we call it help the moderation team enforce the forum rules or stop complaining about the policy changes make the volunteer moderators' jobs easier?
Newme wrote:Did you really have this as part of your intention for this forum?
Have what as my intention?
Newme wrote:I used to like this forum for the general respect toward freedom of speech and getting all thoughts out there to either be slammed because of logical fallacy or ethical issues, or to continue to stand against scrutiny. Now, it seems that many thoughts won't have a chance. Please allow freedom to post as before.
None of those policies have changed. They are all covered in the forum rules. The forum rules haven't changed.
Newme wrote:Is space on this forum the issue? If so, could you just delete inactive threads beyond a certain year in the past?
Space is not an issue at all. The issue is it is more tedious, time-consuming and user-unfriendly to delete rule-breaking topics after they have been posted instead of before. If you go #1 of the forum rules and look at the last sentence, there is a link entitled "this clarification on how forum discussions are simultaneously uncensored and strictly moderated". That--like all the other forum rules--has been there long before this new policy change in when topics are moderated. The ruleset against which the decision to allow or disallow a topic to be posted has not changed. So I don't know what all this talk about 'new censorship' is about.

Roel

Post by Roel »

Newme wrote:
GaianDave51 wrote:I just banged up against this new policy when trying to open a new thread in The Philosophy of Politics forum. Yes, my new thread is controversial. Yes, anyone dealing with it could find themselves on a gov't watch list. But I'm asking the readership here a question I need help with! I need advice!

Scott, if you want good spelling, grammar and syntax, add a "Preview with Auto-Edit" button under the post, and run it through a good one, like Word's (c). If that costs too much, in your view, ask for donations. You'll be surprised how many of us will pony up.

But if this policy in any way tends towards censorship, it really sucks a pustule, and I'll be outta here in a New York second.
I agree that generally, this new policy of censorship is counter to the purpose of philosophy. Also, the edit option needs to be back in place, ideally. Who wants to spend one's limited time creating posts only to have them disappear for approval (censorship)? It's BS and I can guess who's idea this was.

-- Updated January 12th, 2015, 8:48 pm to add the following --
So either be censored or censor? Come on, Scott! Did you really have this as part of your intention for this forum? I used to like this forum for the general respect toward freedom of speech and getting all thoughts out there to either be slammed because of logical fallacy or ethical issues, or to continue to stand against scrutiny. Now, it seems that many thoughts won't have a chance. Please allow freedom to post as before.

Is space on this forum the issue? If so, could you just delete inactive threads beyond a certain year in the past?
I did a lot of work yesterday, but we simply don't have enough moderators to get posts approved fast enough. If you want to help, we would appreciate that. As for censorship, topics aren't disapproved on their content, at least, I and other moderators normally approve topics applying to the forum rules. Your idea for donations for an auto-correct tool here seems like a good idea to me, what do you think about that Scott?
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Does Internet Explorer not already have a spellchecker built-in? I rarely ever use that browser except for testing, but I know the others have had a spellchecker built-in by default for a long time.

Roel

Post by Roel »

Scott wrote:Does Internet Explorer not already have a spellchecker built-in? I rarely ever use that browser except for testing, but I know the others have had a spellchecker built-in by default for a long time.
The browser at my mobile, and I guess most mobiles, doesn't have one and my Google Chrome neither. Is it hard to implent a dictionary file at this forum with a spell-checker somewhere? And some people can't use Internet Explorer, you need to keep that in mind.

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream