Entertainment with or without literary lessons?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Lark_Truth
Favorite Philosopher: Brandon Sanderson

Entertainment with or without literary lessons?

Post by Lark_Truth »

The stories and novels that I love to read the best are those that don't just entertain me, but teach me truths and philosophies that are awe-inspiring. Harry Potter teaches about the power of Love, not just romantic love, but the deep, magical love of sacrifice and bonds of friendship. Harry Potter also has some very useful do's and do-not's of flirting. Terry Brook's Shannara sagas teach about the power of truth, the acceptance of self, and the way lies can twist life itself (through dark magic of course, but still). Brandon Sanderson has a lot on fear, acceptance, hope, honor, truth, lies, etc. But lots of people still like to read the entertainment stuff, just for fun. I do to. So the question I am asking here is: Are lessons in entertainment better than just plain entertainment?
Truth is Power. Reason is Wisdom. Intelligence is Experience. Hope is Bright!
LuckyR

Re: Entertainment with or without literary lessons?

Post by LuckyR »

Lark_Truth wrote:The stories and novels that I love to read the best are those that don't just entertain me, but teach me truths and philosophies that are awe-inspiring. Harry Potter teaches about the power of Love, not just romantic love, but the deep, magical love of sacrifice and bonds of friendship. Harry Potter also has some very useful do's and do-not's of flirting. Terry Brook's Shannara sagas teach about the power of truth, the acceptance of self, and the way lies can twist life itself (through dark magic of course, but still). Brandon Sanderson has a lot on fear, acceptance, hope, honor, truth, lies, etc. But lots of people still like to read the entertainment stuff, just for fun. I do to. So the question I am asking here is: Are lessons in entertainment better than just plain entertainment?
To my view there is a confirmation bias going on here. Firstly, who is an author to claim better knowledge and experience such that they have the authority to be giving out lessons to the rabble? Secondly, if I have two novels that have opposite takes on the value of love, say, won't a reader find one of them heartwarming and therefore a "lesson" and the other off-putting and thus forgettable? Therefore the "lesson" learned is what one already believes. So is the lesson really learned or just reconfirmed?
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Those novels you mention are mostly entertainment. I think for the most part the lessons are incidental, although in some cases profound, and are more a case of the author unconsciously exposing their world view rather than any deliberate attempt to teach. For example the Hobbit teaches through the atmosphere of the book and the lesson is not obvious, although in my opinion it is profound.

For books which have a message I would recommend, in no order, The Grapes of Wrath, Catcher in the Rye, Catch 22 and 1984. There are of course many others.

As to your actual question, are books which teach better than books which don't. Then yes they are. All being equal if we aren't sacrificing entertainment for lessons then it's better to have teaching for free, so to speak. Of course what is being taught and how it is taught can be totally open. For some the Hobbit is silly, but I personally think it is silly to think it is silly.
Unknown means unknown.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Talking about books that teach: I saw in a discard pile a book I really hope it had a title not meant as an imperative, but instead, the book was a last-ditch effort to save mankind. Its title was,

"Pitbulls for Dummies".

Yikes. The concept itself is staggering.

Some other titles planned in the series:

"Nuclear weapons for terrorists." "Razor blades and used sharp hypodermic needles for babies." "Philosophy forums for ego-depraved adults."

-- Updated 2017 March 16th, 11:16 am to add the following --
Eduk wrote: For books which have a message I would recommend, in no order, The Grapes of Wrath, Catcher in the Rye, Catch 22 and 1984. There are of course many others.

For some the Hobbit is silly, but I personally think it is silly to think it is silly.
I never read Catch 22 in the Rye, but the Sour Grapes of Wrath is good. 1984... what lesson did it teach you? it is a political novel, not a Bible study aid. It made a statement, but it did not teach, per se. I may be totally wrong, that's why I asked. I read the book, saw the movie, and lived through it in real life. If anyone, I'm an expert at it. I still can't find a reasonable lesson in it which I can apply in real life. I think it is one of the most profoundly misunderstood books of our times.

And don't let Lorena Hobbit know what you precisely think about her book which she wrote and dedicated to her husband. She still has them sharp knives.

I wonder if she ever got anywhere with any men after that.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

If you have read the book then I have nothing more to add. I value my time.
Unknown means unknown.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Eduk wrote:If you have read the book then I have nothing more to add. I value my time.
Sorry, Eduk, for seemingly dissing your favourite books. It's just that I love humour, and sometimes (too often for my liking) I don't notice that my humour is too cutting or purely and down-right insulting to others. This is the curse of the high-functioning autistic like me; I can't predict emotional reactions I incite in others. I can see it after it has been done, the damage, but I can't at all predict this.

I apologize for making light of your favourite books the way I did it.
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

I think the value of a good work of fiction is that it may challenge your preconceptions in a less adversarial way than non-fiction and in particular encourage you to look at things for another person's perspective. Of course to achieve this you have to be prepared to read broadly.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Just out of interest which books do you feel are both good and challenge preconceptions the best? Obviously a personal list, I was just wondering.
Unknown means unknown.
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Eduk wrote:Just out of interest which books do you feel are both good and challenge preconceptions the best? Obviously a personal list, I was just wondering.
Siegfried Sassoon's trilogy that starts with 'Memories of a foxhunting man'. A lot of Jeanette Winterson's early work from The Passion to The Powerbook. several different works by Isaac Asimov, Nightfall is an obvious example, some I can't remember titles, e.g. there's one where two robots discuss how you obey the first law where you cannot prevent all harm and conclude that protecting themselves in breech of the second law may actually be justified under the first law depending on your definition of 'human'. I'm not always good at remembering titles/authors so some of these have to be significant just because I have remembered. I think the aim is to read first person that does not fall into a predictable series, but them maybe for you book seven of a twenty long string of otherwise repetitious detective mysteries may have an additional message; which is why my list is really pointless unless you're trying to psychoanalyse me.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Haha no. Just looking for some recommendations.
Unknown means unknown.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Eduk, if you are looking for recommendations, I suggest you could simply reverse-engineer Hollywood movies made of books. If a movie is great, and you like it, then prob'ly the book ain't bad either.

I can only make one recommendation, which is Terry Pratchett's early novels. They are written on the same pattern, and the characters are the same -- I mean also the bad guys that get eliminated, they are one- or maybe one-and-half dimensional, but some of his lines, paragraphs or themes are brilliant.

I wept through the entire book's second part when I read his "Feet of Clay". It is funny, moving, philosophical and spiritual all at the same time. It talks about Golems... let me not spoil it for you.

He wrote many other good books, but in his mid-career already his main characters became shallow, too, the plot, much too predictable, and the books just drone on and on... the first five-ten books are worth much more than the last thirty.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

thanks, I have read almost all the Pratchett novels and more or less agree with your summary, but I'd be less harsh on his last 30. Feet of Clay was 21 by the way :)

I was more thinking of books which challenge preconceptions? But then you could say Pratchett does challenge preconceptions just not often my preconceptions, which I why I said it would obviously be a personal list :)
Unknown means unknown.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Eduk, please provide a full or at least a partial list of the preconceptions you wish to be challenged by books. That would make our task somewhat easier. (-:

Here, in my own defence: I read Pratchett's books (the ones I did not abandon) in alphabetical order of title. F is pretty near the beginning, as we all know.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

haha, if I knew my preconceptions then they wouldn't be preconceptions (hopefully).
Unknown means unknown.
Gamnot

Post by Gamnot »

I am sure that books and movies and other kinds of art open up a window into human reality in contrast to physical reality in science. I especially like the literature of Franz Kafka. Two of his short stories in particular hold my interest: Josephine the Singer which to my mind is a good word picture of the phenomena of charisma. Also The Burrow which is a good word picture showing what is referred to as the having mode of life in contrast to the being mode of life.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream