Is child labor ethical?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Burning ghost

Re: Is child labor ethical?

Post by Burning ghost »

Socrat -
Take Asia for example, there are billions of small business men, selling baskets and foods on the street, but they remain stuck in that groove.
I am not sure this is the right way of looking at it. Maybe they are quite happy and care about what they do rather than considering themselves stuck in a groove?

Some people don't push toward the idea of creating more and more just for the sake of it.

I always like to think about the story Bill Gates told about the fisherman in the West Indies. He had a big mansion next to some old guys shack. Bill Gates watched him go out everyday and catch some fish for dinner and then go to market to sell the excess. Bill asked him why he didn't catch more and save to buy a bigger boat and hire crew to fish for him, and then expand into a fleet. He simply said, if I did that and made millions like you then I would buy a nice house on this beautiful beach and spend my days enjoying it with my wife.

He already had his dream. He was simply did not have the drive or want to build some fishing empire. People are different, and some may dream about having this or that, but when it comes down to it a lot of the time if we look hard enough at ourselves we know what we're capable of and know what excuses we make for ourselves for not being who we really are.

Point being Socrat, you may have the business mind and drive to create a basket weaving empire and dream of all the good you could do by providing jobs, or maybe you just want a nicer car and a bigger house, but that is not everyone's dream and even if the dream is achieved it is a pitiful goal.

In a more serious tone, I do think there is a risk of creating a workforce that is forever hovering around the poverty line. For some I can see the stress would be horrible and would not wish such constant pressure on anyone. At least if people can eat and have enough basic nutrition their brains are functioning well enough to create a path out of the situation if they are under duress.

The whoel IQ issue is a looming problem too and one ignored. With 10% of the population of around IQ levels of 85 and below there simply are not enough jobs to go around. They are capable only of simple manual labour. Given that those jobs are being taken away even more people are left with nothing to do and no doubt feel quite cold shouldered by society.

It appears mas industry is moving more toward creativity and artistic endeavors. This will hopefully at least provide some in the lower regions of IQ to rise up into social industry because artistic ability seems to be mostly unrelated to IQ. Th eproblem is then one of exploitation.
AKA badgerjelly
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Two more factors to consider regarding those tiny enterprises that won't or can't grow.

One: most of the mushrooms and baskets, nuts and spices I was talking about are not intended for local selling on a city street - though that is another kind of endeavour you see quite a lot of in Asia, and I imagine at least some of those street vendors do okay. The small-scale cottage industries more often takes place in a rural village or town, and the product is contracted out to an export broker; shipped off to America and Europe, so that some revenue actually returns from the colonizers to the ex-colonies.

Two: Since the enterprises are familial or communal, they promote co-operation; pool resources and share the income. Everyone contributes, instead of having one breadwinner and a bunch of dependents. They don't need to become rich, or or richer than their neighbours, to be happy: they only need to reach a median standard of living in their own environment - not relative to upper-middle-class America, with all its guns, angst, substance dependency and mutual hostility.
It keeps adults and children of all ages in close contact with one another, at home, rather than commuting the ridiculous distances industrial societies require, which saves an incalculable amount of fuel, pollution and traffic congestion - as well as productive time and psychological damage to the workers themselves.
The small enterprises are chosen according to local conditions and materials - don't have to ship in supplies and spend money abroad.

What I had not considered until Burning ghost brought it up is the other health factor. Even if people now living in deep poverty rise only above that line, they will be better nourished - that's already sufficient to make them smarter and more productive, and that's a big step!
Most of these enterprises do not a huge amount of IQ or education; can be done by average people, while at the same time providing desired products to prosperous populations elsewhere, who maybe export their technological expertise in return. If a balance could be struck between cottage industry and its optimal markets, everybody wins.

Jobs and employment are the whole wrong way to go. Let's try something on a a human scale, for human needs.
Albert Tatlock

Post by Albert Tatlock »

Alias wrote:
Socrateaze wrote: What kind of job could an unskilled three-year-old get? Who would pay him?
I'm not sure a skilled one would fare much better.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Albert Tatlock wrote:
Alias wrote: (Nested quote removed.)
You haven't been watching the talent shows.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Socrateaze
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Post by Socrateaze »

Alias,

I guess the question remains, is it ethical, which is the worse fate? My burning question is, shouldn't we allow the capable 14yr old to work if it will better their life?

- If you can paint the wind, I will tell you the secrets of the soul.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Socrateaze wrote:Alias,

I guess the question remains, is it ethical, which is the worse fate? My burning question is, shouldn't we allow the capable 14yr old to work if it will better their life?
And my counter-question still stands: Who is stopping him?
Which "we" prevent which 14-year-olds, where, from working at what occupation?

-- Updated October 16th, 2017, 2:13 pm to add the following --

All kinds of western-owned industrial enterprises are already employing many thousands of youthful workers at very low wages.
In most western countries, it is illegal to force children into servitude, or deprive them of an education - though I'm not sure how closely this law is being enforced in an era of breaking down the labour and welfare legislations of the 20th century. I suppose, once they've eradicated minimum wage and employees protection, the Trumpites won't stop at an age-line of competition for the few remaining jobs.

Do i think children should be allowed to starve?
No.
Do I think children should be forced to work in factories, mills, sweatshops or mines?
No.
Do I consider it ethical to exploit any captive labour force for the benefit of its employers?
No.
Do I believe there is an either-or choice in the "developing" world between children getting jobs and starving?
No.
It's simply not a question relevant to any reality of which I am aware.
Albert Tatlock

Post by Albert Tatlock »

Alias wrote:
Albert Tatlock wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

You haven't been watching the talent shows.
Well from the point of view of some of us, letting that particular kind of three year old starve would be the lesser of two evils.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Albert Tatlock wrote: Well from the point of view of some of us, letting that particular kind of three year old starve would be the lesser of two evils.
Joshing aside - -- please! - -- if you do look at some of the juvenile talent on You Tube, you form a better appreciation of human capabilities.
I believe that north Americans generally underestimate their young, even while over-valuing the offspring of the middle-class and discarding an increasingly large under-class of working poor, and unemployed, which includes the neglect of its progeny, wasting incalculable potential.
Even so, the solution is not more underage employment, but a vastly improved social structure.
Supine

Post by Supine »

Socrateaze wrote:Hi all - I'm having technical difficulties on my side, sorry for not returning sooner to the conversation. I just want to make sure everything is okay before I continue the conversation. I apologize for any inconvenience.

-- Updated October 11th, 2017, 4:17 am to add the following --

Hi, all,

Seems my technical issues are resolved now.

What I meant when I started this forum was not to suggest we allow children to become slaves, but rather to work, protected by law and be free from exploitation. I was actually thinking of the starving children in some of the African countries and other places when I began this conversation. The question is, is it possible to provide jobs for them so they can earn enough to make a fair life for themselves? I would not condone slavery or exploitation and these would be the very things that I would avoid; I'm thinking more of a project of empowerment for those that have nowhere else to turn.
Mass starvation has basically been wiped out from earth. For the most part. Obesity is the greater problem now facing the world. Obesity is a rising problem in Africa too.

China is bringing a lot of infrastructural development to Africa (and being contracted for some infrastructural jobs in Latin America too from Brazil to Panama), so, the jobs created, portions of employment going to Africans, results in more people buying food.

This does not mean individual adults and children never starve. That happens--and even in the USA (usually from a cruel parent or guardian denying the child access to any food)--and malnutrition is still a big problem throughout the developing world.

As for child labor--it goes on throughout the developing countries, usually in the non-taxed economies (underground economies), throughout Latin America, Africa, and Asia. The former President of Brazil: Lula, for example, worked as a small boy shinning shoes and selling peanuts to help his single mother bring in money (he had lots of siblings too).
Alias

Post by Alias »

Supine wrote: Mass starvation has basically been wiped out from earth. For the most part. Obesity is the greater problem now facing the world. Obesity is a rising problem in Africa too.
It basically hasn't. The numbers have been reduced somewhat, but climate change is bringing them back up - most frequently through water shortage and clop failure. It will get much worse as the pollinating insect populations continue to decline and become extinct.
Wasting and severe wasting
Globally, 51 million under-five year olds were wasted and 17 million were severely wasted in 2013.
Globally, wasting prevalence in 2013 was estimated at almost 8% and nearly a third of that was for severe wasting, totaling 3%.
In 2013, approximately two thirds of all wasted children lived in Asia and almost one third in Africa, with similar proportions for severely wasted children. (UNICEF et al. 2014b)

worldhunger.org/2015-world-hunger-and-p ... tatistics/
China is bringing a lot of infrastructural development to Africa (and being contracted for some infrastructural jobs in Latin America too from Brazil to Panama), so, the jobs created, portions of employment going to Africans, results in more people buying food.
Up to a point. But how much food is there to buy and how many Africans can compete for it?
theguardian.com/environment/2009/jul/03 ... -land-grab
This does not mean individual adults and children never starve. That happens--and even in the USA (usually from a cruel parent or guardian denying the child access to any food)--and malnutrition is still a big problem throughout the developing world.
Not so much from cruel parents as from poverty. Everywhere. worldhunger.org/hunger-in-america-2016- ... rty-facts/ In the US, and probably elsewhere, it's also partly due to ignorance and junk food being cheaper than wholesome food.
It would be quite a lot of worse, if not mitigated by government programs - welfare, food stamps, school lunches - and dedicated charities, such as the food bank. But as federal funding is cut off, the poor states that can't make up for the shortfall with local initiatives will see a steep rise in malnutrition and its related illnesses and developmental problems - which won't be addressed, as health care is de-subsidized and insurance premiums rise out of reach.
As for child labor--it goes on throughout the developing countries, ...
and some in the 'developed' ones, too. There's not nearly as much as there used to be - mostly just migrant and seasonal farm work - but then, the parents are unemployed or underemployed. Kids can't drive for Uber without being noticed, but it's switching to autonomous cars anyway. There are no more jobs when/where the law and its enforcement is lax enough to allow child exploitation - all that happens is the parents are fired and their kids do the same work for lower wages.

-- Updated October 31st, 2017, 11:16 pm to add the following --

I meant, of course crop failure. livescience.com/53400-crop-failure-drai ... warms.html

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream