Virtues and the individual

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Albert Tatlock

Re: Virtues and the individual

Post by Albert Tatlock »

Eduk wrote: December 11th, 2017, 4:49 pmLol..
:)
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

I don't know if the experiment is the right one to use then, because the reason for introducing the grenade is to test virtuosity.
How else would you test it, if you don't introduce some real time test for virtuosity? You have only assigned labels of virtuous and non virtuous, they have to be tested for the trait, and then the value of having the trait must be weighed against not having it. That's why my example was better, because there was a test for virtuosity. Even your previous example was better because the value of virtuosity was being tested. Now you are only organizing groups and not testing anything. Must devise new experiment.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Ok...
Unknown means unknown.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Possibly obvious. But in the above experiment it doesn't matter what numbers you put in there are less virtuous people each iteration. Thus mankind is doomed.
Something of interest to play about with would be geography. As in not fully randomising the group's. You could randomise but within a range.
I might do that if I get time. It is possible pockets of virtuosity would appear which would then spread.
Unknown means unknown.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

You mentioned how easy it would be to code for your experiment, have you actually done so? From the above post, it seems you have. I commend you for the effort you've put into this, if you have.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

yeah, it's very simple in python. I'm not a coder but I've done a reasonable amount of scripting, took me ten minutes or so. But I haven't really demonstrated anything that isn't kind of logically obvious.
I mean in real life children stay with parents (for a time). Communities stay together at least until they hit a certain size. People are naturally tribal. Perhaps people are tribal for this very reason. They 'wish' to sustain the number of virtuous people.
If I get time I might add some geographical considerations to the test.
Unknown means unknown.
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

Maxcady10001 wrote: December 9th, 2017, 2:07 pm Eduk
I never said you said the world was perfectly just, I was only surprised you thought it could be described as somewhat just. And, I already conceded some members in a group must behave virtuously, only that it was to their detriment. As I explained in the response to JamesofSeattle, all members of a group cannot be virtuous, because virtue conflicts with the characteristics that drive the group, e.g, ambition.
SimpleGuy
Which system do you prefer, one where virtuous behavior that turns people into mere functions for the rest of society is encouraged, or one of suppression where all behavior is forced?
Any system,even the most democratic one, as good as it may be will turn into self-cannibalism. As a simple matter of fact Nietzsche simply denied the existence of all values and called this philosophical streaming nihilism. As a matter of fact for you and for me , the existence of entropy will turn any cooperative behaviour sooner or later into concurrence if not anything worse. Could you imagine a system of canned people always be cooperative ? I couldn't and out of the result of justified violence against people who disturb this peace suppression is born. So from it's beginning virtues were the basis for argumentations of suppression. Just think of adam and eve. In the fist Book of moses 3, God said:

He said to the woman, “Did God actually say, ‘You1 shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?” 2And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, 3but God said, v‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’” 4wBut the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. 5For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” 6So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise,2 she took of its fruit xand ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, yand he ate. 7zThen the eyes of both were opened, aand they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths

So insight and anything virtous with it turned into evil.
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

So you see, god threw out the first humans out of the garden eden, because they wanted to from the tree of insight. And later on punished them with hard work and for women with the pains of pregnancy. So the virtues of this religion simply resulted in the despising of insight and knowledge, due to the fact that this was leading to sin. And this allegory , represents that every good ansatz is somehow destroyed , even if it's most virtous, from humans who tend to transgress rules.
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

Just think about, that christians, still believe in the ten laws of god, known as the ten commandments, directly given from nobody else but god:

And God spoke all these words:

2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

3 “You shall have no other gods before[a] me.

4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

7 “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

13 “You shall not murder.

14 “You shall not commit adultery.

15 “You shall not steal.

16 “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

18 When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear. They stayed at a distance 19 and said to Moses, “Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die.”

So these were good virtues , given by god. But the eating of the tree of insight and knowledge was in the previous setting no good deed. This is a perfect example that virtues can turn against you.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

Now I am a bit confused. Are you saying insight and knowledge are bad virtues that can work against you, or other virtues, such as the ones the ten commandments demand, are against insight and knowledge and try to prevent insight and knowledge?
I believe you are saying other virtues, such as the ones the ten commandments require, work against insight and knowledge, which is something I would agree with, but is that what you mean?
It's funny you should bring up Nietzsche I got the idea for this topic from reading this passage:
"Thus what is really praised when virtues are praised is, first their instrumental nature and, secondly, the instinct in every virtue that refuses to be held in check by the overall advantage for the individual himself--in sum, the unreason in virtue that leads the individual to allow himself to be transformed into a mere function of the whole. The praise of virtue is the praise of something that is privately harmful-- the praise of instincts that deprive a human being of his noblest selfishness and the strength for the highest autonomy."
(The Gay Science, pg.93)
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

The problem is the most supportive point of view for virtues, comes always from the side of religion. Virtues can be praised, but every dictatorship does this too !! Nietzsche simple denied the existence of virtues, due to the fact that the definition always comes from "feeble" religions. Whatever feeble may be. The argument for me is, that the biggest virtue , is the aquirement of wisdom, knowledge and intellectual skill but exactly this was the primeval sin, from the tree of insight and knowlede nobody shall eat unlest you die. The virtues , that most people think , are virtues are just defined by society. Like it is commonly known , that this persion is diligent (fleissig). But if you look at his team, other people are doing in fact his job, he isn't all the time engaged in working. So the virtue diligency is somehow , perverted by an outside perspective and nothing objective. So most of the times if one talks about virtues, they are simply attached by sketchy observations and claims of other people. The true objectiveness of the theme lacks any realism.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

I understand your point now. And I have another question for you. Do what you call virtues of wisdom, knowledge, and intellectual skill, ever act against the definition of a virtue, which is behavior showing high moral standards? If these things act against the definition of a virtue, can they be called virtues? I ask this because wisdom, knowledge and intellectual skill do not always equal moral behavior. Also it is not clear whether you agree with Nietzsche and deny the existence of virtues and morals, or you just believe the meaning of virtues have been perverted by society.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

in sum, the unreason in virtue that leads the individual to allow himself to be transformed into a mere function of the whole
But when I look about myself I see a computer, central heating, plumbing, a fridge (full of food), cheap clothing, TV, books, cars, etc etc etc. I didn't have to fight off wolves this morning. Or spend two hours going to the well to drink dirty water. My teeth are still original and I'm the ripe old age of 38. I mean perhaps I do have to enter the social contract to not murder my neighbour and take his female and male servants, perhaps I am doing myself a disservice.
To be honest the whole argument strikes me as being very similar to the Brexit argument about sovereignty. We are a sovereign country, we decided to enter an agreement where we agreed about certain rules, we get stuff out of that agreement. Now it's absolutely reasonable to say you don't like the agreement and you want out, which is exactly what people in the UK decided. If we weren't sovereign we wouldn't be able to leave (oh the irony).
Likewise I can decide not to work together in groups for the betterment of all. I can go live in Siberia on my own if I wish, I'll die but I could do it.
Unknown means unknown.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Also it is not clear whether you agree with Nietzsche and deny the existence of virtues and morals, or you just believe the meaning of virtues have been perverted by society.
Good question. I can see the argument for the non existence of virtue and morality. Personally I don't agree with it but am forced to concede it is a difficult thing to 'prove'. Also clearly virtues are perverted by society, that's obvious.
Unknown means unknown.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

I guess I could never say whether society would have reached this point if people hadn't been reduced to functions. But I already conceded some people needed to sacrifice themselves and take the virtuous route.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream