Should the UK leave the European Union?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Steve3007

Re: Should the UK leave the European Union?

Post by Steve3007 »

Karpel Tunnel wrote:From within the EU the UK has happily gone along with all sorts of things including Gulf War 2 on garbage grounds and with France as a third partner destabilizing Syria which led to the crisis. What EU allows is for the Neo Cons to influence one big country and dissent amongst members gets stifled.
I don't see your point. If the UK has happily gone along with all sorts of things, no problem. The issue I was talking about is that the US ambassador has clearly stated what we already knew, that we should do whatever the Trump administration wants (regardless of how happy or unhappy it makes us), or else we go to the back of the trade queue/line. And that includes scrapping existing deals, such as the Iran Nuclear Deal, if the Trump administration tells us to. It makes all future deals meaningless because they can be arbitrarily, unilaterally changed or dumped at any time and we must agree to do so or face economic attack. Trump recognizes the simple fact of life that, ultimately, international law is dictated by how much economic and military power you have. The only way to fight back against that is to unite. That's what unions do. They unite.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Steve3007 wrote: August 12th, 2018, 6:24 am
Me wrote:So perhaps all such votes should have a "try before you buy" principle? Just as our statutory consumer rights mean that we can return a product that we've bought if it turns out to be defective, perhaps that should also be true of political "products"?
On second thoughts, the trouble with political "products" is that it often takes years for the defects to become apparent. By that time we've already opened the packaging, inserted the batteries, thrown away all those little bits of twisty wire that held it to the packaging and generally voided the warranty. I think it's going to be very difficult to return the leaving of the EU in its original packaging so that the supplier can resell it to someone else.
Unfortunately, political parties and government are not held accountable to standards as set down in the Trades Description Act 1968 or the Consumer Protection Act 1987.

Poor decision, policy ? Tough. Even a Prime Minister can swan off leaving the electorate to deal with the fall out. This is not good enough. There has to be another way, but what ?

Perhaps something like this ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliberative_referendum
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Georgeanna wrote: August 12th, 2018, 5:34 am Now that the realities have hit home:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... xit-remain

"People voted to leave the EU on the promise of more money for the NHS from the membership fee, access to markets and more trading opportunities, and taking back control of our borders,” he says. “People are now realising that a lot of those promises won’t be delivered.”
Well I didn't vote to leave for any of these reasons, but lets not let that get in the way of a Guardian polemic.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Steve3007 wrote: August 12th, 2018, 4:12 am
Mark1955 wrote:If you wanted to deride their intelligence "Brexnit"
I guess so. But to be consistent with "remoaner" it would have to not deride their intelligence so much as accuse them of moaning/winging/complaining. "Brexwinge" doesn't really work.
But Brexit people aren't moaning, we've got what we want, however in the views of the remoaners we were stupid to want it so I think it allows them to reflect their view of us.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

A lot of Brexit supporters appear to be concerned that the Brexit they're getting isn't "hard" enough. Not hitting our European neighbours hard enough. Hence Farage going back on tour. So I suppose us remoaners could say to the likes of him: "You've got the chaos, broken government, business uncertainty and destruction of good relations with the neighbours that you voted for. So stop moaning and enjoy it."
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Mark1955 wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 3:55 pm
Steve3007 wrote: August 12th, 2018, 4:12 am

I guess so. But to be consistent with "remoaner" it would have to not deride their intelligence so much as accuse them of moaning/winging/complaining. "Brexwinge" doesn't really work.
But Brexit people aren't moaning, we've got what we want, however in the views of the remoaners we were stupid to want it so I think it allows them to reflect their view of us.
Brexiters are moaning. Many will not be satisfied until this country is a broken wreck, a poor cousin of Europe begging for crumbs on the periphery.
Are they going to get their NO DEAL?
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Mark1955 wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 3:50 pm
Georgeanna wrote: August 12th, 2018, 5:34 am Now that the realities have hit home:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... xit-remain

"People voted to leave the EU on the promise of more money for the NHS from the membership fee, access to markets and more trading opportunities, and taking back control of our borders,” he says. “People are now realising that a lot of those promises won’t be delivered.”
Well I didn't vote to leave for any of these reasons, but lets not let that get in the way of a Guardian polemic.
So for what reasons did you vote Brexit?
Was it square bananas?
Or did you vote to leave the EU because of immigration from the rest of the world?
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Steve3007 wrote: August 12th, 2018, 1:50 pm
Karpel Tunnel wrote:From within the EU the UK has happily gone along with all sorts of things including Gulf War 2 on garbage grounds and with France as a third partner destabilizing Syria which led to the crisis. What EU allows is for the Neo Cons to influence one big country and dissent amongst members gets stifled.
I don't see your point. If the UK has happily gone along with all sorts of things, no problem.
My point was it's a non-issue. This threatened independence of the UK does not exist.
And as I said, the EU will allow Corporations easier Control of european decisions as a whole. It is not going to lead to allied but different large entities, such that European nations can resist the US.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

I would also like to know why you voted to leave?
Allow me to answer my own question. Personally I know very little about the EU (and even less during the voting period) and it's laws, institutions, politics and so on. Certainly I am not remotely qualified in any way to give anything like a remotely intelligent answer to a yes/no question. So I started with a coin toss, which already I don't like. Then of course the leave campaign was overtly racist, which I don't really like either. Actually the leave campaign had a lot of moments I can remember. Made up stuff written on buses, denigration of expert opinion (never a good sign historically), complaints about not being sovereign even though we can leave thus proving sovereignty (to name one proof), a politician being murdered, complaints about losing culture made by extremely comically uncultured people. To be honest the remain campaign more or less passed me by, I can't remember a single claim. I think they said it would cost us money, but I forget how much. It was a pretty weak campaign truth be told, quite negative about what we would lose. At least the leave campaign had some positivity, even if it was made up lies.
So currently ideally I wouldn't make the decision and I don't want to politically insensitive bigotry, racism and small mindedness so I was leaning towards remain. Remain in my eyes was the equivalent of not making a choice.
Then I stumbled upon an interesting YouTube video by Michael Dougan. He is an actual EU lawyer. Said some interesting stuff about what sovereignty means and what the EU does and just how complex it is. Also made some good points regarding time scales and man power which seem to have held up pretty well so far, guess it will take twenty odd years to be sure.
Ultimately I wouldn't employ someone to do something horribly complex with massive repercussions which they didn't want to do and in whom I had no trust in their abilities.
Unknown means unknown.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Eduk wrote:I would also like to know why you voted to leave?
It's a long topic now. He told us something about that in some earlier posts.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Steve, do you think that another referendum would result in remain with Europe ?
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Belindi wrote: September 4th, 2018, 10:17 am Steve, do you think that another referendum would result in remain with Europe ?
I suppose the remainers could get referenda until they got the right answer, but with what respect would that leave democracy?

I think there is a big lesson to learn here. Whilst politicians are happy to allow the British media to scapegoat foreigners, refugees and immigrants, and the public is willing to swallow that ****, then there are going to be bad consequences.
Brexit is going to continue, but I doubt that oh so obvious lesson is going to be learned.

We asked for democracy so we'll just have to swallow the results.

It struck me today that what we are witnessing is the last stand of the British Empire. Brexit has been engineered by public school morons indoctrinated in jingoism, such as Mogg and Boris who think we can go it alone against the rest of the world. To say these fools are living in 19thC would be an understatement. Without the EU the UK has been in steady decline since the end of WW2. Thatcher's time was a false blip bouyed up by a bogus property price boom, but no real increase in material wealth. After Brexit we are going to be back on course to be the fetid remains of a once large empire and all we will have left is the statues and monuments of the past whose bronze will eventually be melted down to pay for food from foreigners.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Truly we have the democracy we deserve.
Unknown means unknown.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Thomas, is it truly democracy when the owner of the Mail successfully encouraged geriatric jingoism?
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

No intention of answering for Thomas. But there is no law stating that the Daily Mail must be read?
Unknown means unknown.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream