Did the universe exist for ever or does it have a beginning?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
devans99

Re: Did the universe exist for ever or does it have a beginning?

Post by devans99 »

As far as we know, time is change’ - I think there is a view that time is a fundamental part of the fabric of the universe. I tend to buy this view for example the speed of light is so fundamental to how the universe works and it is a constant defined as distance / time. In fact some form of speed limit is essential for any self-consistent universe else velocities tend to infinity and objects can instantaneously exit the universe. The physical speed limit law exists independently of any change, orbits etc... physical laws do not pop in and out of existence, so time is more fundamental than you allow for I think.

The actual start of the universe must logically be at the same time or after the start of time so your conception of local time relating to virtual particles popping into existence does not make metaphysical sense to me.

I sense you are a believer that quantum fluctuations caused the creation of the universe? I find these theories hard to believe. The quantum fluctuations in question must take place in a timeless environment and there must be a finite number of total quantum fluctuations. Denied the power of infinity (all that can happen will happen), I fail to see how they could be responsible for the creation of a complex and fundamental physical concept like Time.
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

As i told you that according to the general relativity the beginning time could differ from the point of the manifold where you look at it. Even eternal as timedistance could depend on the viewpoint of somebody which was already mentioned by me (people looking at somebody falling into a black hole
could watch forever , person itself doesnt fall for ever). Due to different geodesics on the manifold the beginning of time could be different according to the point where you want to observe this beginning. If a black hole could split into two black holes (which is just a hypothesis) the beginning couldn't get even defined for the big bang.
Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical »

devans99 wrote: September 15th, 2018, 7:21 pm I was thinking about this recently too:

- Something can’t come from nothing
According to who and why? And what does that statement even really mean.
How do we even quantify something(s) and nothing(s) when we are limited to what we know?
- So base reality must have always existed
What is base reality and whose reality is it?
- If base reality is permanent it must be timeless (proof: assume base reality existed forever within time - the total number of particle collisions would be infinite - reductio ad absurdum)
If we don't know what this base reality is, in reality it therefore doesn't exist.....it's nothing.
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out
devans99

Post by devans99 »

I’ll define nothing as the complete absence of reality: no matter, energy or spacial dimensions. Absolute nothing not even void fluctuations because there is no void. It’s clear then that nothing can come from such as state. Therefore we have to assume something (which I call base reality) existed always.
Thinking critical

devans99 wrote: September 17th, 2018, 11:28 am I’ll define nothing as the complete absence of reality: no matter, energy or spacial dimensions. Absolute nothing not even void fluctuations because there is no void. It’s clear then that nothing can come from such as state. Therefore we have to assume something (which I call base reality) existed always.
Your idea of base reality lacks any explanatory value, we might as well say a potential Universe necessarily existed in a state of zero until this Universe emerged.
The problem I see with an eternal foundation is the logical paradox it creates, if such a state existed for an infinite period of time it must necessarily always exist, so a universe such as this one could consequently never exist.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

Thinking critical wrote: September 18th, 2018, 5:29 am Your idea of base reality lacks any explanatory value, we might as well say a potential Universe necessarily existed in a state of zero until this Universe emerged.
Yes but ‘from nothing comes nothing’. If base reality existed first in a zero state then there is no way for a non-zero base reality to get started.

What I’m proposing is not an eternal foundation but a timeless foundation. So base reality exists and exists permanently outside of time. Then it follows that base reality exists permanently without the need for any infinites. It’s the 4D finite block universe view from Relativity.
Thinking critical

devans99 wrote: September 18th, 2018, 6:07 am
Thinking critical wrote: September 18th, 2018, 5:29 am Your idea of base reality lacks any explanatory value, we might as well say a potential Universe necessarily existed in a state of zero until this Universe emerged.
Yes but ‘from nothing comes nothing’. If base reality existed first in a zero state then there is no way for a non-zero base reality to get started.

What I’m proposing is not an eternal foundation but a timeless foundation. So base reality exists and exists permanently outside of time. Then it follows that base reality exists permanently without the need for any infinites. It’s the 4D finite block universe view from Relativity.
85% of our Universe is filled with nothing, we call this nothingness dark matter and dark energy because we don't know what else to call it and we don't know what is.
The point is until we can successfully understand, identify and quantify the existence of all forms of particles, attempting to describe the nature of the conditions which may or may have not preceded the Universe is meaningless. There currently exist a limit to our knowledge of cosmology an particle physics, once science has paved the way, maybe then philosophy can offer some useful insight.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

You seem to be saying that metaphysics has no useful role to play in the advancement of human knowledge without physics first leading the way. I disagree. Review my original argument:

“- Something can’t come from nothing
- So base reality must have always existed
- If base reality is permanent it must be timeless (proof: assume base reality existed forever within time - the total number of particle collisions would be infinite - reductio ad absurdum)
- So base reality must be timeless (to avoid the infinities) and permanent
- Time was created and exists within this permanent, timeless, base reality
- So time must be real, permanent and finite”

It’s an argument from no axioms (the best sort). It’s a sequence of plausible logical steps. It concludes with useful deductions about the universe. Why do you argue that metaphysics is useless when we can construct reasonable models of the universe metaphysically?

Another example, you say our universe 85% dark energy. Science tells use dark energy is intrinsic to empty space but not much else. We can make metaphysical deductions from that without waiting for physics to catch up: Energy is equivalent to matter. So in order to avoid an actually infinite amount of matter in the universe, space must be finite. Metaphysics is useful!
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

It’s an argument from no axioms (the best sort). It’s a sequence of plausible logical steps. It concludes with useful deductions about the universe.
Is there any chance that all three of the above statements are false?

By the way I don't disagree that meta-physics is potentially useful.
Unknown means unknown.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

Rather than just saying I’m wrong, please kindly say why I’m wrong. Else it’s kind of hard to have a discussion.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

devans99 wrote: September 18th, 2018, 7:48 am - So base reality must be timeless (to avoid the infinities) and permanent
- Time was created and exists within this permanent, timeless, base reality
- So time must be real, permanent and finite”
Why must that which exists within something else share all of its qualities?

I do like the idea of realms within realms, but the qualities between the containing and emergent realms are only somewhat common.

So humans emerged from a larger pool of mammals,
which emerged from a larger group of chordates,
which emerged from a larger group of animals,
which emerged from within a relative ocean of plant life,
which grew from a much larger pool of microbial live,
which emerged from the Earth's vast geology,
which formed from within the solar system,
which formed from within the galaxy,
which emerged from the universe, (perhaps some more layers here, maybe the actions of galactic megaclusters)
which emerged from the quantum foam,
which emerged from ...?
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Thinking critical wrote: April 16th, 2018, 7:09 am 1) Our Universe has a beginning, it can be traced back to roughly less than 1 to 10th of a second from its origins.

2)Spacetime is intrinsic to the Universe, there is no before the beginning or we couldn't call it the beginning.
1) Speculation upon theory upon guesswork with NO empirical evidence possible.

2) Just a human construct by which we attempt to describe it.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

Greta wrote: September 18th, 2018, 5:49 pm Why must that which exists within something else share all of its qualities?
Humans emerged from quantum foam you say, so I would conclude humans inherit all of the qualities of quantum foam in some form (maybe many aspects are disguised though Schrödinger’s cats are not observed in nature).

A possible counter argument is the simulation hypothesis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis).

But even with the simulation hypothesis, my argument above is argued from base reality so still stands.
Thinking critical

ThomasHobbes wrote: September 18th, 2018, 6:31 pm
Thinking critical wrote: April 16th, 2018, 7:09 am 1) Our Universe has a beginning, it can be traced back to roughly less than 1 to 10th of a second from its origins.

2)Spacetime is intrinsic to the Universe, there is no before the beginning or we couldn't call it the beginning.
1) Speculation upon theory upon guesswork with NO empirical evidence possible.
Quatum mechanics to this day has been demonstrated to make highly accurate predictions which far out way any other scientific framework we know of. There is no valid reason to suspect that the plank epoch is not an accurate model of the early Universe, furthermore cosmologists have made precise measurements of the CMB which are consistent with predictions of the plank model e.g spectral radiance.
2) Just a human construct by which we attempt to describe it.
All descriptions of things are Human constructs, how else can we describe reality?
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Devans I didn't say you were wrong. I asked if there was a chance you were wrong. Those are different things.
Unknown means unknown.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream