Why Existence is necessarily omnipotent and omniscient

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
philosopher19

Re: Why Existence is necessarily omnipotent and omniscient

Post by philosopher19 »

Burning ghost wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 4:09 pm It’s not “expanding into” anything. The Universe is everything and the “expansion” is merely a convenient way of explaining a mathematical abstract principle in common parse.

I imagine you’re thinking along these lines?: http://digg.com/video/what-is-the-unive ... nding-into
Ok, we can agree that the universe is not infinite because it had a beginning. If it's not infinite, it can't be Existence. It is necessarily the case that Existence has always existed and will always exist as you cannot have something come from nothing. Are we in agreement on this?
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

philosopher19 wrote: October 4th, 2018, 9:36 am Ok, we can agree that the universe is not infinite because it had a beginning. If it's not infinite, it can't be Existence. It is necessarily the case that Existence has always existed and will always exist as you cannot have something come from nothing. Are we in agreement on this?
You are saying that the universe had a beginning, but "you can not have something come from nothing". Aren't you contradicting yourself in the process?
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Not in slightest. No idea what you’re talking about.
AKA badgerjelly
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

chewybrian wrote: October 4th, 2018, 10:39 am
philosopher19 wrote: October 4th, 2018, 9:36 am Ok, we can agree that the universe is not infinite because it had a beginning. If it's not infinite, it can't be Existence. It is necessarily the case that Existence has always existed and will always exist as you cannot have something come from nothing. Are we in agreement on this?
You are saying that the universe had a beginning, but "you can not have something come from nothing". Aren't you contradicting yourself in the process?
Existence and the universe are not the same thing. The universe is a part of Existence. It is not Existence. It can't be Existence because the universe had a beginning.

Existence is necessarily infinite. If you said that Existence is necessarily finite, then that would amount to the paradox of something coming from nothing. You can't have paradoxes in any system. Whether it's science, law, philosophy or maths. Paradoxes are always unacceptable.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Burning ghost wrote: October 4th, 2018, 10:42 am Not in slightest. No idea what you’re talking about.
You can't have something come from nothing. If the universe is finite and the universe is all there is to Existence, then you end up with the problem of something coming from nothing. We cannot allow for this problem as our belief system would be paradoxical. So the only conclusion we can rationally make is that the universe is just a part of Existence. It is not Existence as a whole.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Phil -

Are you aware of the possible problems with the words you’re using when other people read them? If so why respond with the above?

If not then if existence is all there is (as you define) where did “existence” come from? Moving the goal posts doesn’t change the argumentation you are using. I am saying the universe may or may not be infinite - although physicists generally use the term as if the universe is infinite - and to talk of something coming from nothing is nothing more than resorting to a non-imaginable concept of “nothing”. Nothing is the absence of something, it doesn’t exist alone on it’s own - if it does then your position falls flat on its face there because you’ve made the claim of “nothing” existing.

I assume you’ve either not yet found they correct terminology to use here and/or you’ve made a mistake you’re not yet ready to face within your reasoning due to lack of caprice and/or blindsightedness.

If you’re baffled by my response then tell me what “Existence” is please. If you cannot then your claim is empty. You do very much appear to be appealing to Kantian “positive noumenon” as if there is a discernable “thing in and of itself” rather than seeing this claim as being nothing more than “negative noumenon” and the region of rational explanation.
AKA badgerjelly
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

philosopher19 wrote: October 5th, 2018, 6:49 am
chewybrian wrote: October 4th, 2018, 10:39 am

Existence and the universe are not the same thing. The universe is a part of Existence. It is not Existence. It can't be Existence because the universe had a beginning.

Existence is necessarily infinite. If you said that Existence is necessarily finite, then that would amount to the paradox of something coming from nothing. You can't have paradoxes in any system. Whether it's science, law, philosophy or maths. Paradoxes are always unacceptable.
Then what did the universe come from? It seems you are implying it came from nothing, if it sprung into existence. Yet, you say something can not come from nothing. What was existence prior to the universe? Was there matter, or space? If not, how did matter and space 'begin', or where were they hiding prior to the universe if there was no universe for them to exist in?
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

philosopher19 wrote: October 5th, 2018, 6:49 am

What about the idea of repeating big bangs? The universe may have always existed, yet not always in the same form. It may change to energy (?) and back to matter. There is no ice outdoors in Kentucky in June, yet there might be in January. It does not spring into and out of existence, but rather changes form as conditions change. Perhaps it is the same with the universe, and it has always existed in some form or another? If that is the case, perhaps the universe represents all of existence, yet it also does not seem impossible that there are more universes outside ours.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Burning ghost wrote: October 5th, 2018, 7:44 am Phil -

Are you aware of the possible problems with the words you’re using when other people read them? If so why respond with the above?

If not then if existence is all there is (as you define) where did “existence” come from?

It did not come from anything. Existence has always existed and will always exist. There are no rational alternatives. You can try to give an alternative to Existence being infinite, but I promised you that I'll be able to demonstrate to you how that would amount to a paradox.
Moving the goal posts doesn’t change the argumentation you are using.

Saying Existence is infinite is not moving the goal posts.
I am saying the universe may or may not be infinite - although physicists generally use the term as if the universe is infinite - and to talk of something coming from nothing is nothing more than resorting to a non-imaginable concept of “nothing”.
We know our universe has a beginning. If it has a beginning, then by definition, it cannot be infinite as that which is infinite had no beginning. It has always existed and will always exist. That's what it is to be infinite.
Nothing is the absence of something, it doesn’t exist alone on it’s own - if it does then your position falls flat on its face there because you’ve made the claim of “nothing” existing.
Almost all things can change to something else or go somewhere else. But they never go into non-existence. My claim is that non-existence (where non-existence = the negation of Existence), is absurd.
If you’re baffled by my response then tell me what “Existence” is please. If you cannot then your claim is empty. You do very much appear to be appealing to Kantian “positive noumenon” as if there is a discernable “thing in and of itself” rather than seeing this claim as being nothing more than “negative noumenon” and the region of rational explanation.
Existence is that which is infinite, omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient. Some think that that's energy but I doubt it. Essentially, anything that is in line with the aforementioned adjectives, is Existence.

Can you show me any paradoxes or contradictions in the outline that I've given of Existence?

I promise that if you give me any outline other than the above, I'll be able to show you how it amounts to a paradox.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

chewybrian wrote: October 5th, 2018, 8:25 am Then what did the universe come from? It seems you are implying it came from nothing, if it sprung into existence. Yet, you say something can not come from nothing. What was existence prior to the universe? Was there matter, or space? If not, how did matter and space 'begin', or where were they hiding prior to the universe if there was no universe for them to exist in?
What was before our universe is probably unknown. What we do know is that it wasn't non-existence/nothingness. There is a difference between non-existence (something that is absurd) and something that is unknown (something that exists but we've not empirically observed or understood it yet)

Either way, ultimately that which is omnipresent (whatever it may be), is necessarily infinite. Otherwise, you have the problem of something coming from nothing. Our universe, is just a part of it. We know this because we've empirically observed that our universe had a beginning. This means that it's not infinite.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Phil -

I’m sorry. I tried and I failed. I suggest you reread my questions and your responses and work it out for yourself.

Nothing more to say on the matter until you address your own words after you’ve distanced yourself from them. Leave the discussion alone for a month is my best suggestion and then come back to this thread and attack your own words as best you can.

Good luck.

In the mean time hope you dip into some other topics.
AKA badgerjelly
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

chewybrian wrote: October 5th, 2018, 8:35 am What about the idea of repeating big bangs? The universe may have always existed, yet not always in the same form. It may change to energy (?) and back to matter. There is no ice outdoors in Kentucky in June, yet there might be in January. It does not spring into and out of existence, but rather changes form as conditions change. Perhaps it is the same with the universe, and it has always existed in some form or another? If that is the case, perhaps the universe represents all of existence, yet it also does not seem impossible that there are more universes outside ours.
There's no problem or paradox with repeated big bangs.

The universe had a beginning, so it can't be infinite. Things within Existence can change (you can have repeated big bangs, different universes being generated, the universes changing and so on) but Existence itself (whatever it may be) has always been and will always be infinite and omnipresent. It sustains everything, including matter, the universe, and so on.

If the universe represents all of existence, how can there be any existing thing outside of it?
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Burning ghost wrote: October 5th, 2018, 2:06 pm Phil -

I’m sorry. I tried and I failed. I suggest you reread my questions and your responses and work it out for yourself.

Nothing more to say on the matter until you address your own words after you’ve distanced yourself from them. Leave the discussion alone for a month is my best suggestion and then come back to this thread and attack your own words as best you can.

Good luck.

In the mean time hope you dip into some other topics.
I believe I read your questions and responded to all of them. If I'm mistaken, what have I not addressed?

In any case, thank you, and good luck to you too.
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

philosopher19 wrote: October 5th, 2018, 2:14 pm There's no problem or paradox with repeated big bangs.
No, I don't think so.
philosopher19 wrote: October 5th, 2018, 2:14 pm The universe had a beginning, so it can't be infinite.
I'm not sure this is correct, in terms of time. Does a new universe begin with every big bang, if they do repeat? If all the same matter and energy is conserved, though transformed in various ways, couldn't you say that it was still 'the universe' at each step? If so, then you could speculate that the universe has always existed.

In terms of space, then yes, it makes sense that the universe can't stretch out infinitely if it started from one spot, no matter how fast things might be moving.
philosopher19 wrote: October 5th, 2018, 2:14 pm If the universe represents all of existence, how can there be any existing thing outside of it?
There couldn't be by definition. It seems beyond our capacity to know if this is the case or not. Once you have the idea of three dimensions in your head, it's hard to imagine nothing on the other side, though (not even empty space).
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

chewybrian wrote: October 6th, 2018, 9:35 amI'm not sure this is correct, in terms of time. Does a new universe begin with every big bang, if they do repeat? If all the same matter and energy is conserved, though transformed in various ways, couldn't you say that it was still 'the universe' at each step? If so, then you could speculate that the universe has always existed.

In terms of space, then yes, it makes sense that the universe can't stretch out infinitely if it started from one spot, no matter how fast things might be moving.
I'm not against the idea of the universe as being Existence. I'm against the idea of Existence as being anything other than infinite, omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient. If the universe has these traits, then it can be considered as Existence. If not, then it would be paradoxical for us to say that it is.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream