Meritocracy

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Burning ghost

Meritocracy

Post by Burning ghost »

What do you think about the idea of a meritocracy?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of this system? Can you provide something for both sides of an argument for and against?
AKA badgerjelly
ThomasHobbes

Re: Meritocracy

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Sounds like homework mining.

There is no other better system. How could there be?
But it would all depend on how to value skills for their merit. The devil is always in the detail.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

ThomasHobbes wrote: October 9th, 2018, 8:34 am Sounds like homework mining.

But it would all depend on how to value skills for their merit. The devil is always in the detail.
Go for it then! What kind of details need looking at?

I bring this up because I’ve seen an underlying view in some people on this forum that looks like it may offer some opposition to the idea of a meritocracy.

Note: I didn’t ask if it was the “best” or not. I asked about the advantages and disadvantages of the system.
AKA badgerjelly
Consul

Post by Consul »

Burning ghost wrote: October 9th, 2018, 4:51 am What do you think about the idea of a meritocracy?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of this system? Can you provide something for both sides of an argument for and against?
The disadvantage is that natural endowments—innate skills or talents, mental/intellectual or physical abilities—aren't personal achievements themselves but natural gifts that aren't the result of any effort or hard work. It is sheer luck if you happen to have them, so why should people be rewarded just for having them, given that they haven't done anything to get them? There is nothing fair or just about the distribution of innate skills or talents, so how can social inequality be morally justified in terms of them?
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Consul wrote: October 9th, 2018, 10:40 am
Burning ghost wrote: October 9th, 2018, 4:51 am What do you think about the idea of a meritocracy?
The disadvantage is that natural endowments—innate skills or talents, mental/intellectual or physical abilities—aren't personal achievements themselves but natural gifts that aren't the result of any effort or hard work. It is sheer luck if you happen to have them, so why should people be rewarded just for having them, given that they haven't done anything to get them? There is nothing fair or just about the distribution of innate skills or talents, so how can social inequality be morally justified in terms of them?
A perfect far-leftist example. Thanks.

This aside is there anything else, or rather what practical use can we make of this either for or against the principle of a meritocracy?
AKA badgerjelly
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

I think the disadvantages only become clear once we see a specific version of a meritocracy. People who contribute less easy to track qualities to team or organizations may get punished. Individuals who are ruthless, do not share or participate openly in teams, may shine, while benefitting from the work of others who do not benefit from them.

Meritocracies can lead to people thinking that success is innate, somehow, around race or sex or class. It need not, but it can, depending on how the meritocracy is organized.

Is getting into a restricted university program after intensive, expensive tutoring actually based on one's merit or on the wealth of one's parents? Do we take into account the process when evaluating merit?

How are moral issues included?

This is not extensive, just some thoughts off the bat.

Why not lay out a paragraph long version of meritocracy as you envision it and then we can look at the problems and strengths from there.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Karp -
Is getting into a restricted university program after intensive, expensive tutoring actually based on one's merit or on the wealth of one's parents?
Well, under a strict meritocracy wealth plays no part. I am looking at the idea under the assumption that all things being equal the better suited the person is for the position the stronger their claim is to take the position.

Of course someone’s desire to be a doctor or a physicist doesn’t make them suitable for such a role - but in some roles within society it is quite clear that a certain degree of competence is required.

Demographics do tell tales about the shape of society, but I’d never go as far to say that they dictate what is and isn’t deemed as “merit”. If you failed an entry exam whilst orhers passed the exam, yet your parents were rich and paid you into the university, I don’t see how that is won by “merit” from the students perspective (although a convoluted argument could be made on behalf of the parents, buts that’s weak at best!) Equally so, some poor student being given a place in university because they fill the quota is a position that is certainly not won on merit (but at least there is a reasonable argument in the real world here because there may be untapped potential; that is a tricky judgemenr to make though and if we’re looking at meritocracy in a pure light then I’d say this is the possible failing - that is the consideration of “potential”, the slippery thing that it is!)
AKA badgerjelly
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Burning ghost wrote: October 9th, 2018, 10:50 am
Consul wrote: October 9th, 2018, 10:40 am

A perfect far-leftist example. Thanks.

This aside is there anything else, or rather what practical use can we make of this either for or against the principle of a meritocracy?
That was an observation and could only be considered far leftist in today's Murdochracy.

Whether one is in favour of it or not, is social inequality justified or just efficacious? One could point to the reduction in world poverty in relative terms over the last century or the failure of communism in Venezuela and its collapse in both Russia and China, only to be quickly revived by new dictators.

Really, if you have a society that can only be held together by repressive means then that society should ideally split into parts until each part is manageable enough not to require repression for stability. Power dynamics and economies of scale in a competitive global marketplace stand in the way of that approach, though.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Greta -

What are talking about? I am asking for positives and negatives. Are you saying meritocracy is “repressive” and if so how?
AKA badgerjelly
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Burning ghost wrote: October 9th, 2018, 10:28 am
ThomasHobbes wrote: October 9th, 2018, 8:34 am Sounds like homework mining.

Go for it then! What kind of details need looking at?

I bring this up because I’ve seen an underlying view in some people on this forum that looks like it may offer some opposition to the idea of a meritocracy.

Note: I didn’t ask if it was the “best” or not. I asked about the advantages and disadvantages of the system.
How would you judge the "merit" of different artists. Would you even consider art to be of any merit deserving of any reward?
But even in professions were merit were easier to judge, such as maths - what happens when there are too many mathematicians chasing too few jobs.

How much merit would you give a plumber? You might be able to devise an objective test to find the best of them - but how would you judge their worth over, say, a carpenter?
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Some positions can't be tested for merit. For example we have no way to test for merit when selecting government.
Some positions require no great merit.
Some positions can be judged on merit better than others. Doctors on the whole belong to a meritocracy. But of course it is far from perfect.

Ultimately life is a meritocracy.
Unknown means unknown.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

TH -

You’ve lost me? A meritocracy means to judge by ability/competence. Are you asking how a fair “judgment” is made over what is deemed “competent”?

An artist, plumber or runner is given merit based on their ability/competence. We have tests and school to improve and nurture people’s abilities/competence.

That measuring is a problem is certainly a flaw embedded within the practical application of a meritocracy. I don’t see how it can be seen as a negative though because the premise is simply to reward people, to allow them more influence, in some given area if (and only if) they excel in it.
AKA badgerjelly
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Eduk -
Some positions can't be tested for merit. For example we have no way to test for merit when selecting government.
I wouldn’t go quite that far. It is true enough to say that some people are better at governing than others. The issue is more about “cometh the moment, cometh the man,” because the best person for the job today may be the worst person for the job tomorrow.
AKA badgerjelly
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

BG I didn't say there wasn't a better person. I just said there is no way to prove this. Or to be clearer, no way to prove this to everyone.
I could perhaps prove it to my satisfaction. But my satisfaction absolutely will be at odds with probably billions of other people.
Unknown means unknown.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Or to put it another way. Let's say I'm looking for a plumber. I'm not a plumber so I can't judge the merit of potential plumbers. Reviews of plumbers are useless as they are written by other people who can't judge the merit of plumbers. Trade qualifications are also useless. They may show that a plumber can do some jobs up to a certain standard but they don't show if the plumber will do your job to a certain standard. Ultimately almost everyone recommends that you go with recommendations, but these are also useless.
So short version is that I can't judge the merit of a plumber. Plumbing is a very specific job with a very specific output.
Unknown means unknown.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream