Emotions in regards to ones death (becoming nothingness)?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Audrey ochs
New Trial Member

Emotions in regards to ones death (becoming nothingness)?

Post by Audrey ochs »

Note: For this topic, death means becoming nothingness.

Does it make sense to have any emotions in regards to ones personal death? Does it make sense to feel sadness, anger, fear, etc. whether in regards to becoming nothingness or in regards to leaving behind all that you love? For upon becoming nothingness, one is not even aware of his becoming nothingness. Upon leaving behind all one loves, one is not even aware that he has left behind all that he loves. Why be afraid of your cessation when you will never actually experience your cessation? Why be sad that you will never see your child’s face again when you will never actually experience never seeing your child’s face again? Why have emotions in regards to something you will never actually even experience? And in this way, I am not sure that it is logical to have emotions in regards to ones personal death. Yet at the same time, alive, you do have awareness that there will come a day when you will no longer be. There will come a day when you will no longer see your child’s face. Even though [because this will happen upon your nothingness] you will have no awareness that it has happened, it will in fact still happen, and alive, you do know this. And in that sense, maybe it is logical to have emotions in regards to your own personal death. What do you think?
Being_1925

Re: Emotions in regards to ones death (becoming nothingness)?

Post by Being_1925 »

That is a very good description of what happens on death. One could not write any better. Only the matter that was our body keeps existing, as molecules or atoms.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Every one of our ancestors survived. Obviously. Over aeons those who most wanted to survive most desperately tended to outlast those with a less powerful drive, especially during the most difficult times.

So the emotional response is not conscious but an innate drive, the inner beast that automatically writhes and struggles furiously when under threat.

The situation is relative. Under usual circumstances staying alive is incredibly desirable and thus oblivion speaks only of loss to us - loss of all the great things about life. However, when the loss is only of struggling for breath on a machine that goes beep every few seconds in a sterile room, covered in tubes etc, then oblivion would probably start looking wonderful.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Zero time, zero space, what's there not to like upon return to that which is truly eternal.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

What's not to like?

You'll be dead. The carnival will be over, possibly forever, or we start a new "carnival" from scratch, having to wade through all the same horrors of childhood and the teens. At this stage being alive now looks like by far the best option.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Greta wrote: October 14th, 2018, 10:29 pm What's not to like?

You'll be dead.
Which is the same as never having been born. Didn't notice any inconveniences or limitations during that long period and not likely to notice any afterwards. True also that most Eastern religions strive to preempt being born so clearly, it's not so strange an idea.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Has anyone carefully considered not being upon death? Whenever I do so with a clear mind and focus I find the thought truly frightening. To the point that my mind loses focus and dodges the thoughts I'm trying to make it have. Just wondered if others had had this experience.
Unknown means unknown.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Eduk wrote: October 15th, 2018, 3:38 am Has anyone carefully considered not being upon death? Whenever I do so with a clear mind and focus I find the thought truly frightening. To the point that my mind loses focus and dodges the thoughts I'm trying to make it have. Just wondered if others had had this experience.
I think nearly everyone would admit this experience if they were honest. I know I felt this way for a very long time, but...
Hecato says: 'cease to hope and you will cease to fear...'--Seneca
...stoic philosophy provides relief through the process of separating those things we can control (attitude, effort, opinion...) from those we cannot (health, wealth, reputation, death...). I am no longer having that same experience due to a different outlook on the same events which previously troubled me. This is not to say a switch is turned, but rather progress is made, and the world, though effectively unchanged, then looks very different over time to the observer who is making progress.
Men are disturbed, not by things, but by the principles and notions which they form concerning things. Death, for instance, is not terrible, else it would have appeared so to Socrates. But the terror consists in our notion of death that it is terrible. When therefore we are hindered, or disturbed, or grieved, let us never attribute it to others, but to ourselves; that is, to our own principles. An uninstructed person will lay the fault of his own bad condition upon others. Someone just starting instruction will lay the fault on himself. Some who is perfectly instructed will place blame neither on others nor on himself.--Epictetus
If you take these words to heart then you must release the fear that you have attached to these 'threats' yourself, because it is the only rational response.
'What's in there?'---Luke Skywalker

'Only what you take with you.'--Yoda
This is a simple concept which is very difficult to pass on to others because they act on habit and don't believe they can control their emotions. There is no percentage in being angry, frightened, sad or bewildered by events outside your control. The rational response is to focus effort on what you can control to have the best experience you can in the situation in which you find yourself. In this case, it makes no sense to waste energy worrying about death when you could be busy doing what you can to enjoy the life you have now.

Your mind may be 'running' from these thoughts because of the notion you have that death is a thing to be feared, when in fact we simply don't know. Remove the fear and your mind won't try to 'save' you from the thoughts any longer, yet you may find no need to dwell on it, either. I suspect a lot of irrational action takes place as people try to run from what they fear, yet do not, cannot understand, or misplaced hope, on wishes that can not come true.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Chewy. I found it to be more of an interesting experience than a traumatic one. Besides it's pointless to lie to oneself, death is certainly scary. Or at least dying is scary.
As you already eloquently said. Not much point in dwelling overlong an things out of your control.
Unknown means unknown.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Jklint wrote: October 15th, 2018, 1:31 am
Greta wrote: October 14th, 2018, 10:29 pm What's not to like?

You'll be dead.
Which is the same as never having been born. Didn't notice any inconveniences or limitations during that long period and not likely to notice any afterwards. True also that most Eastern religions strive to preempt being born so clearly, it's not so strange an idea.
The Easterners try to pre-empt being reborn as an alternative to living in other realms. If the alternative was total annihilation they would be furiously angling to have an extra life.

Complete loss of being is the second worst thing that can happen after prolonged hopeless suffering.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Greta wrote: October 15th, 2018, 4:59 pm
Jklint wrote: October 15th, 2018, 1:31 am

The Easterners try to pre-empt being reborn as an alternative to living in other realms. If the alternative was total annihilation they would be furiously angling to have an extra life.

Complete loss of being is the second worst thing that can happen after prolonged hopeless suffering.
Don't know you mean by living in other realms but according to Hinduism, Buddhism or the Tibetan Book of the Dead it's best not be born at all but if you weren't enlightened enough to avoid the consequences strive to be born as a human all of which is nonsense anyways.

The complete loss of being as the second worst thing doesn't make sense either because you'd have to be alive to experience that, at least to some extent.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I can think of worse things than complete loss of being and prolonged hopeless suffering. They are near the top of the list though :-)
Unknown means unknown.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Jklint wrote: October 15th, 2018, 6:06 pm
Greta wrote: October 15th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Don't know you mean by living in other realms but according to Hinduism, Buddhism or the Tibetan Book of the Dead it's best not be born at all but if you weren't enlightened enough to avoid the consequences strive to be born as a human all of which is nonsense anyways.

The complete loss of being as the second worst thing doesn't make sense either because you'd have to be alive to experience that, at least to some extent.
You are an educated man so you well know what is meant by "living in other realms. The Hindus' alternative to being human was existing in other realms without reincarnating. Since the thread is about emotional reactions - perceptions of reality - the actual reality doesn't so much matter in context. Their beliefs shape their attitude towards death and, I guess, it could reduce their death dread. As to post-mortem possibilities, I personally remain agnostic as I lack experience at being dead. I'll let you know what it's like when the time comes.

Eduk, what is worse than prolonged suffering or obliteration?
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Loss of being of genes. Particularly your direct bloodline.
Unknown means unknown.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Greta wrote: October 15th, 2018, 11:13 pm As to post-mortem possibilities, I personally remain agnostic as I lack experience at being dead.
I'm not agnostic at all regarding death. The before and after of your in-between are equal to each other or put differently zero=zero since none of us, including the whole human race, were destined to be here in the first place. That being the case what condition should death encounter but the one which preceded life. Agnosticism may be valid in many cases, just not in those that pertain to absolutes.

Greta wrote: October 15th, 2018, 11:13 pm I'll let you know what it's like when the time comes.
That's kind of you but I'll probably get there before you without knowing I was ever alive. That, of course, would preempt me from informing you first. Sorry about that. But what the hell, C'est la vie!

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream