What's the meaning of life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
anthonybrown
New Trial Member

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post by anthonybrown »

The reason we are all here and struggling is because life is a school, we are here to learn, and do better with a stick rather than a carrot.
want to hear a whole lot more of what I have discovered in a lifetime of research? just let me know
JohnB53
New Trial Member

Post by JohnB53 »

Life is meaningless, it is no more than uncollated sense data that a euphemistically termed societal concept reason imposes order upon. We are tossed; thrown, unto a godless, meaningless, expanse of space and time forced comport with other finite historical consciousness which next to death is our biggest problem.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

JohnB53 wrote: October 29th, 2018, 9:24 am Life is meaningless, it is no more than uncollated sense data that a euphemistically termed societal concept reason imposes order upon. We are tossed; thrown, unto a godless, meaningless, expanse of space and time forced comport with other finite historical consciousness which next to death is our biggest problem.
So we can feel free to make sense of it. Each person makes sense of it all in their own unique way. It' s bad to not try to make ones own sense of it in a sincere way.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Whatever it means to you personally. What else could it mean?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

There's a slight difference between the meaning of life and the meaning of human life.
"As usual... it depends."
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

Belindi wrote: October 29th, 2018, 2:13 pm
JohnB53 wrote: October 29th, 2018, 9:24 am Life is meaningless, it is no more than uncollated sense data that a euphemistically termed societal concept reason imposes order upon. We are tossed; thrown, unto a godless, meaningless, expanse of space and time forced comport with other finite historical consciousness which next to death is our biggest problem.
So we can feel free to make sense of it. Each person makes sense of it all in their own unique way. It' s bad to not try to make ones own sense of it in a sincere way.

I do agree to your Point of view , except that there is an aspect of personal perception of sense that is not valid for everybody else. So the non invariant Point of sense that is nonperceptible for others is a could be aspect of sense.
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

There do exist about 8 Billion humans on this planet, so there are 8 Billion possible meanings of life , which probably don't coalesque in an intrisical way , which means that there is no absolute meaning of life.
Numb3rThr33
New Trial Member

Post by Numb3rThr33 »

There is an actual answer to this question, but to answer it within the confines of our current existence is near impossible. Life needs to be reverse engineered in order to fully comprehend the answer. Visit the following site to satisfy your curiosity and to learn the truth: www.shaungeorgedreyden.com.
ktz
Favorite Philosopher: Habermas

Post by ktz »

I must confess I haven't read all the thousands of responses to see if someone else has expressed what I have, so forgive me for indulging myself here with my own research into this question. And in fact we should all consider ourselves both blessed and cursed to have the luxury of the meaning of life to be a personal question in this age, a question that even accepts the parameters of individual taste and personal development, as opposed to imposed from the external as it may be in the past and future. Choose an arbitrary number of centuries ago to be born, and more likely than not the answer to this question would be simple: serve god, serve your king, serve your feudal lord, etc... and to be honest, perhaps they were on to something back then, as the freedom to select one's own meaning of life in the style of the existentialist thinkers can be a terribly heavy burden -- just look at Sartre whose major work is cheerfully titled, "Being and Nothingness".

I've encountered a few different interesting approaches to this question in my own praxis. I mentioned Sartre, but Frankl with his incredibly struggles and background in practical neuropsychiatry is, in my view, the most powerful existentialist writer on this topic, with quotes like: “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms — to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.” And, "What is to give light must endure burning." Frankl, writing in his excellent book Man's Search for Meaning, accepts as his answer three things to be pursued as the meaning of life: Purposeful work, love, and courage in the face of difficulty. Maria Popova's summary on him on Brainpickings is quite a good entry point to this thinking. I think one could do a lot worse than living a life filled with purposeful work, love, and courage in the face of difficulty, and anyone coming on here with nihilistic conceptions of life's meaninglessness I think ought to take some time to truly consider this line of thinking, for their own sake. At the very least before approaching Camus's philosophical problem. Other interesting thinkers along this path are Maslow, who developed in conjunction with Frankl the concept of self-transcendence on top of his hierarchy of needs and Goldstein's conception of self-actualization. Fromm, who talks about the distraction of materialist desires in his book, "To Have or To Be", and Kierkegaard who provides a more spiritual perspective on existentialism.

Lately, I've taken to compiling a new idea from reading bits from cyberneticist Francis Heylighen and biologist Edward O Wilson. With Heylighen I'm paraphrasing because a lot of his work is too technical for me to understand, but he has this quite tantalizing idea of a "Global Brain" as an emergent phenomena from the complexity of modern human society, and so it evokes the need for a kind of Darwinian fitness for our collective endeavors -- that is, the meaning of life is to help extend the range of endurable and explorable situations for humanity, all DNA-based life forms, and the collection of ideas from Popper's World 3. On an individual level, any contribution we each can make to this goal -- whether academic, political, parental, or just by helping others become stronger or more evolutionarily fit in any mental or physical sense -- all are meaningful pursuits. I've affirmed this idea through EO Wilson, who writes in his book, the Meaning of Human Existence, about multi-level selection and the ability for groups of altruistic individuals to subsume groups of selfish individuals, even when at the individual level selfish individuals parasitically rise to the top.

There are real challenges facing a view like this -- the quite lethal threats of nuclear war and climate change/sixth extinction woes, our inability to overcome Habermas's "strategic action" in modern political discourse, the rise of fraud and misinformation and the empowerment of ethically bankrupt capitalists -- all make me a bit pessimistic whether or not we have long for meaningful pursuits. But this is where my thinking has led me so far, and I would be quite interested to converse with anyone with new ideas or information to enhance these ideas. Thanks for reading and may you live a courageous life in pursuit of your own conceptions of meaning, spirituality, and love.
Numb3rThr33
New Trial Member

Post by Numb3rThr33 »

Impressive research ktz, but available knowledge can only take you so far, believe me, I have been there. Humanity is under a misconception in terms of what we think we know. Our first error is to think that this is the actual intended existence of humanity, confined to rules, deprived from freedom and oppressed to the point that we accept it as the norm. To find truth, we need to dig deeper, to a time before the artificial construct, that we now perceive as life was enforced. As you stated, it would have been easier to define life a few centuries ago, when everything was simpler. Most of the other theories on life is based on survival within the man-made structure, overarching our true purpose. Life today is designed to occupy our time and to exhaust us physically, with the intention, for us, to forget the spiritually.
ktz
Favorite Philosopher: Habermas

Post by ktz »

Well the thing is, I'm not seeking some kind of ultimate Platonic answer to the perfect version of the meaning of life. When I talk about these concepts I am speaking in a very concrete sense, as in, how ought we guide our practical choices given the practical limitations of daily life in the modern world? How do we escape the cynicism, defeatism, and ennui that engages us day by day? What set of goals should a person choose for the purpose of pursuing a meaningful life? As much as possible I prefer for philosophy to stay out of the abstract world, grounded to practical choices that can improve our lives. So while I am perfectly content to acknowledge how very little I know and understand, I decline to accept the idea that pursuing and developing the available body of knowledge on this subject is a waste of time, even from someone who says they "have been there". If you feel that life today is designed to occupy your time and exhaust you physically, why not instead develop plans and strategies to improve what you can in the time you are here, so that others may build upon your foundation? All great change is ultimately composed of many small choices, day by day.

It may be the case, as you say, that many of our current man-made constructs in philosophy, political economy, education etc. have iatrogenic consequences, or impose more limitations than benefits to spiritually productive and meaningful work -- but with correctly-placed effort, the "man-made" can become the "man-unmade" or the "man-improved". Please don't mistake me -- I did not reference the past because I would have preferred to be born in a time when we had simpler answer to these questions. I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that the valuable opportunity each of us now has to choose our own way is a rare phenomenon that could be confined to a very short period of history. It's wrong to idolize the past -- let us instead view the present with optimistic eyes, and seek to confine our conversations on this subject to the realm of the practical and productive. It may be as you say that our true purpose has been lost, but even so, we must do the best we can with what we have.
anthonybrown
New Trial Member

Post by anthonybrown »

There is a reason we don't know exactly what we are searching for in life, if we did know we we would get too focused on that and not consider the bigger picture. You have to trust your heart/instincts as to what you are looking for. In my case, when younger I thought I wanted a career in a scientific area, and rejected all this mumbo jumbo that could not be proven or even questioned. However I did like to try asking awkward questions of any one pushing a religeous theme. So I started to do a bit of research purely so that I cold ask more difficult questions, and quickly found that research to be of great interest to me. Also when I had got over a lot of childish inhibitions, almost as if by a miracle, as teacher appeared totally out of the blue, but at the exact time I was ready to receive that knowledge. Trust your instincts, keep an open mind, but question everything that seems wrong to you. It takes time but it all falls into place eventually.
Whitedragon

Post by Whitedragon »

Here is an oracle answer to the meaning of life:

Doves and blades - falling feathers; the meaning of life is in the falling of the feathers. (I leave the interpretation of the symbolism up to the reader)
We are a frozen spirit; our thoughts a cloud of droplets; different oceans and ages brood inside – where spirit sublimates. To some our words, an acid rain, to some it is too pure, to some infectious, to some a cure.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Anthonybrown wrote:
There is a reason we don't know exactly what we are searching for in life, if we did know we we would get too focused on that and not consider the bigger picture.
When you say " There is a reason we don't know " do you mean "there is a cause of our lack of knowledge" ?

If so, what or who is the cause of our lack of knowledge?
anthonybrown
New Trial Member

Post by anthonybrown »

jklint is exactly right, we are all different, all have to learn different lessons and are given the necessary tools and environment to learn those lessons

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream