Don't vote (unless you want to)

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Don't vote (unless you want to)

Post by Eduk »

Pretty much everyone will tell you that it is very important to vote. I have never seen any evidence to back this statement up though.
Does anyone have any?
It suddenly occured to me that perhaps it would be better not to encourage people to vote (unless they wanted to). The reason being that hopefully those who are more informed will naturally vote regardless of being encouraged.
Unknown means unknown.
LuckyR

Re: Don't vote (unless you want to)

Post by LuckyR »

The most practical reason to vote is to legitimately be able to complain about what the guy who beat your candidate is doing in office. Of course you can complain if you didn't vote, but you look like a dork by doing so.
"As usual... it depends."
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Having someone worthy of your vote is important.

Most people seem to vote for the least worst, not the best.
Trump, Clinton: who gives a fu_k?

In a nation of 300 million, they offer THESE two? FFS
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Who is 'they'?
Unknown means unknown.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

ThomasHobbes wrote: October 18th, 2018, 3:00 am Having someone worthy of your vote is important.

Are you complaining that others lost in the primaries or that better candidates didn't choose to run?
jlaugh

Post by jlaugh »

I agree. In fact, I'd so far as to recommend boycotting elections. Until the private sector cedes its control of the political class. Conversely, until the political class can act without the private sector's approval or mainly for the latter's benefit.

I'm aware this is a generalization, but as generalizations go, this is one I don't mind making.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

LuckyR wrote: October 19th, 2018, 12:50 am
ThomasHobbes wrote: October 18th, 2018, 3:00 am Having someone worthy of your vote is important.

Are you complaining that others lost in the primaries or that better candidates didn't choose to run?
I'm complaining the the political system is a plutocracy in which turds seem to rise to the top.
Are you pretending that the US system is not broken or that it is worthy of the term 'democracy'?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

ThomasHobbes wrote: October 19th, 2018, 3:44 am
LuckyR wrote: October 19th, 2018, 12:50 am

I'm complaining the the political system is a plutocracy in which turds seem to rise to the top.
Are you pretending that the US system is not broken or that it is worthy of the term 'democracy'?
Well, since you dodged my question, all I am hearing is standard complaining without any specifics as to either the problem or any solutions.

At best I might infer that you are referring to the outsized influence of money on campaigning, though to be fair, you didn't say that.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

LuckyR wrote: October 20th, 2018, 3:27 am
ThomasHobbes wrote: October 19th, 2018, 3:44 am

Well, since you dodged my question, all I am hearing is standard complaining without any specifics as to either the problem or any solutions.

At best I might infer that you are referring to the outsized influence of money on campaigning, though to be fair, you didn't say that.
Yours was a stupid question. Not worthy of an answer being utterly rhetorical.

The problem with the US's so-called democracy goes much deeper than "influence of money on campaigning"
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Unless one thinks that every candidate is equally good or equally bad or that nothing they do if elected has consequences that are better or worse than what others who are running would do, then no matter the problems with the system or choices there is a reason to vote.

I do not think that by not encouraging people to vote only those who are well informed will vote. Those who are motivated by ignorance, fear, and hatred are likely to vote, and so, elections will be determined by them rather than the minority who put in the time and effort to become well informed.
dscotese
New Trial Member

Post by dscotese »

When I believe one person has better ideas than another, it won't matter to me whether or not the other fellow wins an election. I will follow the ideas of the people I respect. If others want to follow someone because they were "properly elected," that's their choice. I think it's a bad idea, and voting just encourages it.

The inspiration for my position comes from the article at [See policy on links. Instead of just linking describe what is said].
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

ThomasHobbes wrote: October 20th, 2018, 7:20 am
LuckyR wrote: October 20th, 2018, 3:27 am

Yours was a stupid question. Not worthy of an answer being utterly rhetorical.

The problem with the US's so-called democracy goes much deeper than "influence of money on campaigning"
I am not interested in trying to nail your jello to the wall. Have a nice day.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Eduk wrote: October 15th, 2018, 3:31 am Pretty much everyone will tell you that it is very important to vote. I have never seen any evidence to back this statement up though.
Does anyone have any?
It suddenly occured to me that perhaps it would be better not to encourage people to vote (unless they wanted to). The reason being that hopefully those who are more informed will naturally vote regardless of being encouraged.
It would likely be those who are less cynical, more opinionated who would vote.

But I don't disagree. I always thought it was strange everyone though it was so important to vote then in other discussions painting the opposition as evil - before the last decade implying rather than openly saying it. It's important that you get out and vote even if its for that guy who is like Stalin/Hitler.

Further if there is a fundamental problem with the system, voting can be taken as a generalized approval. If very few vote, it is a sign that something is off. People do not feel it makes a difference or is worth their time. They could also be misinformed about this, and this justifies the get out and vote thing, but in general I think it means, myself, that there is a disconnect.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

LuckyR wrote: October 18th, 2018, 1:46 am The most practical reason to vote is to legitimately be able to complain about what the guy who beat your candidate is doing in office. Of course you can complain if you didn't vote, but you look like a dork by doing so.
I suppose some people are going to think you are a dork, if they knew, but generally they would not. And, then, by this kind of logic you can't complain if your candidate won. And hopefull no one believes that. And if you believe that both candidates cannot possibly represent your interests given whom they are beholden to and who paid for them to get in office, you should be considered quite justified in complaining when the specific actions of the one who won start to unfold.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Eduk wrote: October 18th, 2018, 4:04 amWho is 'they'?
Wall Street, large corporations who finance campaigns which give the candidates access to the media absolutely and utterly necessary to even have the tiniest chance of getting voting into the presidency and in 99% of the cases the Senate. A local politician or a House of Rep. has a chance, though even here they are handicapped if the money thinks they are not OK. Normal citizens get to choose between approved candidates. And even if starting out a politician might challenge the money, by the time he or she is in, she would be heavily in their debt. Obama the from the right point of view monster from the far left, brought in Wall Street people to be his finance admin, despite how he was viewed and perhaps how he even viewed himself earlier in the campaign. The Democratic party broke its own rules to keep Sanders out.

They is the people with a lot of money. In the US there is an oligarchy. And this is not even getting into lobbying and its effects on elected official behavior.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream