Did the universe exist for ever or does it have a beginning?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
devans99

Re: Did the universe exist for ever or does it have a beginning?

Post by devans99 »

RJG wrote: October 26th, 2018, 1:10 pm
Devans99 wrote:Time has to have a start so there must something preceding it which is timeless.
Devan, this seems contradictory. How can something "precede" time, but yet be timeless? "Preceding" implies 'time'. To come 'before' and cause/create something implies time. Again, so the only possibility is that if time exists, it has 'always' existed. It cannot be created/caused without the prerequisite time to do so.
Something must proceed the creation of time causally I mean. Its impossible for time to always exist. Imagine an eternity; it has no start so none of it is defined. So once you accept time has a start; then there must be a timeless cause of that start.
RJG wrote: October 26th, 2018, 1:10 pm
Devans99 wrote:The big bang was the creation of time.
If there were no time to bang, then the big bang could not have banged (to then create time).
The Big Bang / start of time was caused by something in the timeless realm.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Devans99 wrote:Something must proceed the creation of time causally I mean.
This is self-contradictory. "Procede" can't exist/happen if time does not exist.

Devans99 wrote:Its impossible for time to always exist. Imagine an eternity; it has no start so none of it is defined. So once you accept time has a start; then there must be a timeless cause of that start.
I don't accept that "time has a start". Time can't pre-exist itself (so as to come 'before' and start/create/cause itself). If it exists, it therefore has always existed. It can't logically be started/caused/created.

Devans99 wrote:The Big Bang / start of time was caused by something in the timeless realm.
But nothing can happen in the timeless realm. If time does not exist, then there could not be a 'before' moment in which to cause something.
BigBango

Post by BigBango »

Time is a human category of thought. See Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason"

Reality does not change continuously(analog) but it changes discretely. What that means is that physical matter in its particle form does not move spatially without transmuting into a waveform that connects its original place to its new place. That is, the motion of particles must appear to us as changing only in discreet jumps. See Whitehead (Process and Reality).

That quantization of reality solves Zeno's Paradox. Real physical particles, in particle form rather than wave form, do not have an infinite number of places to move through. So, given any level of normal particle sizes, there is a discreteness with which we can see time changing. For the 10% of the mass of the universe that science is aware of(electrodynamic matter) that discrete pixelization is a Planck volume. Could there be smaller physical particles that we are not aware of? YES, and of course motion of particles through that level of reality would have a pixelization smaller than Plank's constant.

Therefore the real beginning of time was not at the BB for that was only the beginning of time associated with our familiar level of the electrodynamically sensitive matter that we are familiar with. The real beginning of time came with the appearance of the smallest level of physical particles and the consciousness or "subject" for which the particles existed as objects. (Tamminen's ontology")
BigBango

Post by BigBango »

Time is a human category of thought. See Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason"

Reality does not change continuously(analog) but it changes discretely. What that means is that physical matter in its particle form does not move spatially without transmuting into a waveform that connects its original place to its new place. That is, the motion of particles must appear to us as changing only in discreet jumps. See Whitehead (Process and Reality).

That quantization of reality solves Zeno's Paradox. Real physical particles, in particle form rather than wave form, do not have an infinite number of places to move through. So, given any level of normal particle sizes, there is a discreteness with which we can see time changing. For the 10% of the mass of the universe that science is aware of(electrodynamic matter) that discrete pixelization is a Planck volume. Could there be smaller physical particles that we are not aware of? YES, and of course motion of particles through that level of reality would have a pixelization smaller than Plank's constant.

Therefore the real beginning of time was not at the BB for that was only the beginning of time associated with our familiar level of the electrodynamically sensitive matter that we are familiar with. The real beginning of time came with the appearance of the smallest level of physical particles and the consciousness or "subject" for which the particles existed as objects. (Tamminen's ontology")
RJG

Post by RJG »

BigBango wrote:The real beginning of time came with the appearance of the smallest level of physical particles...
Hi BB, sorry but there can be no "real beginning of time". Either time has always existed, or it does not exist.

If you disagree, then I challenge you to explain (without contradiction) how something can happen before 'happenings' can happen.

Happenings/events/occurrences are all dependent on the pre-existence of time. Without time, the 'happenings' (events/occurrences) of anything (including the beginning of time!) can't happen.

Since it would take time to make time, time therefore cannot be 'made' (created/caused/started/begun).
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

RJG wrote: October 26th, 2018, 10:52 pm
BigBango wrote:The real beginning of time came with the appearance of the smallest level of physical particles...
Hi BB, sorry but there can be no "real beginning of time". Either time has always existed, or it does not exist.

If you disagree, then I challenge you to explain (without contradiction) how something can happen before 'happenings' can happen.
Certainly time at present relies on orbits, rotations and decays. However, what would have marked time in the early universe before the first atoms formed? Perhaps the spin or decay type or rate of subatomic particles.

How about before the big bang? Now it's speculative territory, of course. It's posited that there was the quantum foam, populated by self annihilating virtual particles - immediately dissipating ripples in the fabric of reality (or maybe those perturbations are reality?). Presumably there would have been a time frame for these self-annihilating flickers. However, the time would be completely subjective, with no discernible reference point.
BigBango

Post by BigBango »

Happenings/events/occurrences are all dependent on the pre-existence of time. Without time, the 'happenings' (events/occurrences) of anything (including the beginning of time!) can't happen.

Since it would take time to make time, time therefore cannot be 'made' (created/caused/started/begun).
RJG, your analysis is very good and I would agree with you if I thought "time" was something that existed in reality that we were trying to grok in the same manner that we try to grok the nature of physical particles existing externally to us in space. The problem is that we are forced to try to understand reality in categories of thought that are available to us in the nature of our consciousness. It was Kant's brilliance, as expressed in "The Critique of Pure Reason", that the nature of reality was such that it permitted itself to be understood in the terms that were consistent with our innate categories of thought.

If you follow Tamminen's ontology the physical world "exists" only because we experience it. "happenings do not happen before happenings can happen. Happenings only happen after we are "consciousness" of ourselves as physical objects.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Greta wrote:Certainly time at present relies on orbits, rotations and decays.
Hi Greta, sorry, but this is backwards. Orbits, rotations and decays rely on 'time'. Without 'time', motions, events, or happenings of any kind, could not 'occur'.

Greta wrote:However, what would have marked time in the early universe before the first atoms formed? Perhaps the spin or decay type or rate of subatomic particles.
Atoms/particles cannot form, spin, or decay, etc without the pre-existence of time. NOTHING can happen WITHOUT time.

Greta wrote:How about before the big bang? Now it's speculative territory, of course. It's posited that there was the quantum foam, populated by self annihilating virtual particles - immediately dissipating ripples in the fabric of reality (or maybe those perturbations are reality?). Presumably there would have been a time frame for these self-annihilating flickers.
Yes. None of this could have happened/occurred without the pre-existence of time.

Again, time cannot be created. If time exists, then it has "ALWAYS EXISTED" (i.e. was NOT caused/created). Although this may be unpalatable to some, it is the ONLY logical possibility.

BigBango wrote:Happenings only happen after we are "consciousness" of ourselves as physical objects.
...and yet the "consciousness of ourselves" can only happen within the (pre-) existence of time.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

Look at it this way, could something of happened infinity long ago? No because there is no way for that event to link to today (-oo +1 = -oo). Infinity is marsh gas so infinite time is marsh gas.

Its really basic logic: if time did not have a start then it cannot exist. If you were not born, would you exist?

It agrees with science; the Big Bang was the start of time.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Time IS change, it doesn't cause it.
BigBango

Post by BigBango »

devans99 wrote: October 27th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Look at it this way, could something of happened infinity long ago? No because there is no way for that event to link to today (-oo +1 = -oo). Infinity is marsh gas so infinite time is marsh gas.

Its really basic logic: if time did not have a start then it cannot exist. If you were not born, would you exist?

It agrees with science; the Big Bang was the start of time.
Devans99, there is nothing wrong with your logic. Your problem is your metaphysics. You cannot make any sense out of the world if every "noun" can be an "existent" in a logical assertion. While I do not subscribe to Whitehead's complete dismissal of Aristotelian metaphysics I do think his work in "Process and Reality" illuminates beautifully the way "logical constructs" are dependent on one's metaphysics.

He turns Aristotelian metaphysics on its head. That is, Aristotle's metaphysics, which is what we and Science generally use is that existents are aspects of substances that can carry different properties. Something about an object persists in time and then that distinguishes it from other things of a different type. In Whitehead's metaphysics the fundamental things of the world (candidates for the subjects of predicates) are "actual entities".

Because of that, his notion of "type" simply means that an actual entity relates to the world in some "habitual" way. Now I am not a pan(all) psychic and I reject Whitehead's metaphysics but only because I think it just applies to "living" things and not to the objects of physics.

Your logic must follow from your metaphysics. "Time" is not an existent even though it is a noun and you can mistakenly use it with a predicate, even though it cannot cause anything, as Greta said, and it cannot be dissected as can a physical object.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

I’ve revised my views in line with the feedback. Timeless is impossible I admit so I've dropped that idea. Now have a very simple, consistent model of the universe:

I'm using three prior results:
- Can’t get something from nothing so something must of existed always.
- Time had a start (eg moment cannot of occurred infinity long ago)
- Actual infinity is impossible

Proof of Eternalism:

1. Assume only now exists
2. So before the start of (top level) time there was nothing
3. But creation ex nihilo is impossible
4. So more than only now exists
Or
1. And (top level) Time had a start
2. And Something has always existed
3. Implies Time must have always existed
4. IE Eternalism

A very simple model:

Everything has existed always (timelessly)
Everything is finite in time and space
start of time=Big Bang
end of time=big crunch

Where did all the matter come from for the big bang? The big crunch, IE time is circular (with a single set of time co-ordinates)
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

I can trivially think of a potentially 'timeless' state. For example the heat death of the universe would logically cause a state of entropy approaching zero and therefore there would be no passing of 'time'.
Unknown means unknown.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

Eduk wrote: October 28th, 2018, 7:54 am I can trivially think of a potentially 'timeless' state. For example the heat death of the universe would logically cause a state of entropy approaching zero and therefore there would be no passing of 'time'.
Its not as neat though; the only thing powerful enough to power the big bang is the big crunch. If the universe dies a heat death, there is nothing to power the big bang. Also I don't see why heat death is the end of time - there would still be quantum fluctuations and time in heat death
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

As I understand it QM requires energy.
Also what has neatness got to do with anything? Does the universe logically have to be neat?
Unknown means unknown.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream