Ingredients for a Good Life

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Georgeanna

Ingredients for a Good Life

Post by Georgeanna »

[ Inspired by Belinda's recipe for dal ]

Concerning philosophy and the Good Life. What are the ingredients for a life of well-beingness ?
If we follow Maslow's hierarchy of needs we could work our way up.
I've forgotten exactly what they are but I'm sure Food and Shelter is a basic.

How can we do anything without good nutrition and sustenance ?
The health of the body is often overlooked in discussions of morality, religion, etc.
However, types of food, the forbidden kind, the 'sins' of some dietary fad...the way they are combined and cooked so as to maximise health or minimize harm...with care and taste...what can possibly be more fascinating ? It's an oral thing.

What, for you, makes life enjoyable, worth living...and is good ?
I never used to think of food, and the cooking thereof, as anything other than a boring necessity - if a pill could have been invented to replace it, I would have bought it.
Now, I see the value of it. The trouble is - so much of it is bad for you, in so many ways...

Belinda, we need your help !
Georgeanna

Re: Ingredients for a Good Life

Post by Georgeanna »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23902918

For a discussion and illustration of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Philosophy of Food Project

http://www.food.unt.edu/philfood/
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Re the Philosophy of Food Project above. It covers:
Introduction to the Philosophy of Food

What is philosophy of food?

What is food? (Food metaphysics)

How do we know it is food? (Food epistemology)

What is good food? (Gustatory aesthetics)

What should we eat? (Food ethics)

Should food be natural? (Food technology)

How should food be distributed? (Food politics)

Are you what you eat? (Food identity)

Text below is from The Philosophy of Food, ed. David M. Kaplan (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2012).
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Food is medicine. I spend the bulk of my money on three things; travel, books and FOOD! Food is so important because it is something I must have everyday and so I view it as being deadly important - for pleaure, sustenance and over all well being.

We are, after all, built from the matter we put into our mouths. Better make sure the fuel is top-notch imo!
AKA badgerjelly
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

For a quick and easy snack for one, a tin of chickpeas with some garam masala thrown in the microwave works for me.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Home made vegetable samosas are to die for. Here's a recipe:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipe/vegetable-samosas

As I recall, the hard part (for me at least) was shaping the pastry wrapper properly so no oil got it. I think I'll make some of these tonight.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

To BG and Steve3007

Good to hear about balance of life activities and economics. I remember when the majority of my income was taken up by mortgage payment.
Then, we hardly ate any meat at all and we walked a lot more. I think it was the healthiest I've been. Perhaps not the happiest...

Cheap and easy sustenance was e.g. cheesy beans on toast. A bit like your chickpeas and garam masala, Steve. I think the latter was in Belinda's recipe too. The flavour of choice ? I like garlic...yes, some say it is good medicine, BG - I think for lowering high blood pressure. My stomach wouldn't thank me for highly spiced substances. I no longer deep fry anything. Filo pastry sounds far too finicky and time consuming...

Steve, I read the background to your samosa recipe on the bugs thread:
At the small company in which I work we all had a little trip out a few months ago and went on a day-long Indian cookery course. The simple and easy-to-make vegetable samosas that we made were fantastic. Made me never want to buy them from the supermarket again.
I enjoy it when I hear of workplaces arranging informal days out - it does give a sense of balance of work, rest and play.
And I'm sure you wouldn't have noticed if anyone had slipped squashed spider into your samosa.
There may well be a few natural additives in the supermarket variety...who knows...
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

I made chips (fries in American English)today which were so evil that they should be a mere garnish for wholesome protein such as seeds or chick peas and some colourful vegetables.

Evil chips:

Packet of frozen chips . Take roasting pan and make large pool of olive oil in the bottom of it. Add a smaller pool of runny honey. Add a little garam masala . Add ground black pepper to taste. Crumble an Oxo cube on it all. Mix thoroughly with wooden spoon . Put the frozen chips on top and coat thoroughly with the sweet oily mixture. Bake until the chips are cooked and the honey mixture is a caramelised coating on each chip.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

For months now I've been buying Oatly instead of milk and it tastes nicer than milk. I never tried making it at home but will have a go.

The health properties of oats are well known: they are rich in fibre, especially cholesterol-lowering beta-glucans, and, being a low glycaemic index food, provide a long-lasting energy drink that is favoured by many athletes. "Studies have shown that oats are better than sports drinks at boosting endurance levels," says Louise Sutton, a dietician at Leeds Metropolitan University. Commercial oat milks (such as Oatly) are widely available, but you can also make your own. Fill a large jug with one-third oats and two-thirds water. Mix, and leave overnight. The next morning, sieve the mixture and you will be left with a milky liquid that can be drunk as it is or used in place of cow's milk in some recipes.

(Guardian)
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

What percentage of your monthly budget do you spend on food? I spend around 25% of my earnings on food per month.
AKA badgerjelly
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Georgeanna wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 9:35 am [ Inspired by Belinda's recipe for dal ]

Concerning philosophy and the Good Life. What are the ingredients for a life of well-beingness ?
If we follow Maslow's hierarchy of needs we could work our way up.
I've forgotten exactly what they are but I'm sure Food and Shelter is a basic.

How can we do anything without good nutrition and sustenance ?
The health of the body is often overlooked in discussions of morality, religion, etc.
However, types of food, the forbidden kind, the 'sins' of some dietary fad...the way they are combined and cooked so as to maximise health or minimize harm...with care and taste...what can possibly be more fascinating ? It's an oral thing.

What, for you, makes life enjoyable, worth living...and is good ?
I never used to think of food, and the cooking thereof, as anything other than a boring necessity - if a pill could have been invented to replace it, I would have bought it.
Now, I see the value of it. The trouble is - so much of it is bad for you, in so many ways...

Belinda, we need your help !
I was suffering from anxiety and depression, overweight and out of shape, when I reached a fork in the road. My doctor gave me a prescription for high blood pressure medicine. I looked down that road and saw the prospect of more prescriptions and ending up riding a motorized cart around the store to get more soda, and decided it was time to change before it was too late.

I never filled the prescription, but rather decided to eat better and get fit (an option my doctor did not bother to discuss with me!). I cut sugar out of my diet and started riding a bicycle, a little further every day, every week. Those two simple choices were very effective. I lost 100 pounds and got rid of the high blood pressure. A side effect is that my anxiety and depression were diminished, and this allowed me the mental clarity to work on them further.

I found stoic philosophy to be a great help, especially the dichotomy of control. Much of what I was worrying about was outside my control, and not worth the energy of worrying about.

So, clearing the junk out of my body and my mind allowed me to enjoy simple pleasures again, like: riding my bike, playing golf, walking my dog, being outside, reading... I think those 'little things' are the ingredients of the good life, and the possessions we are told might make us happy are more like a cocaine addiction (or a prescription from the doctor!). They mask the unhappiness for a time, but they don't really make you happy and you'll never get enough.

I think you've hit on something. You probably won't make much progress at the top of the pyramid unless you have a good foundation. I know I was not making progress until I improved my nutrition and fitness. I never realized until after the fact how my poor physical health contributed to poor mental health. Our culture here in the states certainly does not help people make this connection. If you don't believe you can control your desires, and you are surrounded by objects of desire (as our culture tells us we are), then you are bound to be unhappy.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Belindi wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 7:57 pm For months now I've been buying Oatly instead of milk and it tastes nicer than milk. I never tried making it at home but will have a go.

The health properties of oats are well known: they are rich in fibre, especially cholesterol-lowering beta-glucans, and, being a low glycaemic index food, provide a long-lasting energy drink that is favoured by many athletes. "Studies have shown that oats are better than sports drinks at boosting endurance levels," says Louise Sutton, a dietician at Leeds Metropolitan University. Commercial oat milks (such as Oatly) are widely available, but you can also make your own. Fill a large jug with one-third oats and two-thirds water. Mix, and leave overnight. The next morning, sieve the mixture and you will be left with a milky liquid that can be drunk as it is or used in place of cow's milk in some recipes.

(Guardian)
I have only ever used oats to make porridge. This is quite the eye-opener. I tried to find the Guardian article but came up with this one instead:

[ Not just for porridge ]
There are so many more things you can do with this mighty grain. I love a thickie: a fruit smoothie bulked up and made creamy by a handful of oats. And I've been experimenting with oat milk, made by soaking 200g medium oatmeal in 600ml cold water for 30 minutes, blitzing in a blender, then passing through a muslin-lined sieve. Use the oat milk plain, sweeten it with honey or add a pinch of salt. It's a refreshing drink, or you can add it to smoothies or use in baking. And it's brilliant on your breakfast cereal instead of milk.

I also enjoy turning porridge into something unexpected by cooking it as a savoury dish (as in Heston Blumenthal's snail porridge). Rolled jumbo oats or pinhead oatmeal can be simmered gently in stock to produce a uniquely warming, creamy-textured dish. Add something fresh, such as greens, and something piquant, such as crisp bacon or salty cheese, and you have a supper that will satisfy, sate and soothe.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ttingstall
There are quite a few recipes for oat milk out there. Some say you need a blender, perhaps that makes the process quicker than having to soak overnight ? I was wondering what you do with the left over oats...waste not, want not :wink:
Do you really need a muslin-lined sieve - wouldn't just an ordinary metal sieve do ?
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Belindi wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 7:41 pm I made chips (fries in American English)today which were so evil that they should be a mere garnish for wholesome protein such as seeds or chick peas and some colourful vegetables.

Evil chips:

Packet of frozen chips . Take roasting pan and make large pool of olive oil in the bottom of it. Add a smaller pool of runny honey. Add a little garam masala . Add ground black pepper to taste. Crumble an Oxo cube on it all. Mix thoroughly with wooden spoon . Put the frozen chips on top and coat thoroughly with the sweet oily mixture. Bake until the chips are cooked and the honey mixture is a caramelised coating on each chip.
Well, that was a surprise ! Then again, what is the good life without a bit of naughtiness ?

The potato is apparently the world's favourite root vegetable. And I'm sure there must be gazillions of types and recipes.
I used to love home-made chips made from real tatties and deep-fried. I've managed to survive without them...
I also adore mashed tatties...but have been lazy and let Aunt Bessie do the hard work.
When I want to have a baked potato I microwave first and then pop it in the oven to crisp up...

Unfortunately, when I buy potatoes, there is some wastage. The skins turn poisonous green before I get round to eating them.

Some tattie knowledge here:

https://www.farmdrop.com/blog/potato-va ... ast-chips/

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream