Free will does not exist (Beware)

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Re: Free will does not exist (Beware)

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

Eduk wrote: November 9th, 2018, 1:29 pm
It is well known in meteorology that the inability to predict the weather with certainty goes BEYOND merely not knowing enough variable
Can you provide a link please.
The only thing I can think of is the uncertainty principle whereby it is conceptually impossible to have the perfect knowledge (presumably) needed to model the weather with 100% accuracy..
FWIW, Stephen Wolfram has shown that there are determined systems (he uses cellular automata) where all of the rules and starting conditions are known, and yet there is no way to predict the outcome after a certain number of steps without using more resources than the system itself uses. That is to say, the most efficient way to determine the outcome is just to let the system run and see what happens. It seems likely that what a person does may be determined, but to be able to predict what they will do would take more resources than are available in the universe.

[sorry I don’t have a specific link, but you should be able to find something with creative googling]
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Tosen -

Shame. Thought you’d have been willing to stick around and consider a different way to approach the problem. I cannot argue against what say if I find it too vague.

Dreaming is s conscious state, a state of awareness. Your protest against that shows a misconception of the terminology. That was likely one of the bigger confusions alongside the idea of “mind” being something “other” than your conscious state?

I’m not going to pretend it isn’t a confusing topic and that every single utterance of “consciousness” by neuroscientists is identical (they do at least make an effort to define what it is they are talking about and the context given; taking care not to use the same word in seversl different ways.)
AKA badgerjelly
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I would add/repeat (specifically in relation to Harris) that “thought” doesn’t necessarily mean “verbal thought.” Meaning we don’t need a running commentary for eveyrthing we do, we think about going somewhere and go there, we feel pain, angered, scared, etc., and then explicate this to someone else (ofrn badly) or make an inner articulation of the feeling.

This is why I like to say that “language” is the eulogy of thought.
AKA badgerjelly
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Thanks for the example James. That would seem to support materialism though? Or perhaps more accurately not contradict materialism.
Unknown means unknown.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Tosen wrote: November 10th, 2018, 3:41 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Xp7mvOcVM There is evidence right here my friend. Sam harris provides a phenomenoloical example (Through our Subjective experience) and then cites various experiments that prove it.Deny it or accept it at will. Most of you haven't read the EMPIRICAL DATA that I offered in this forum. Come back and then critique it.
I watched the video with all the open mind I could muster, but I see nothing remotely approaching proof there. He is simply asserting opinion in a factish tone, and attacking a straw man version of free will in which higher consciousness makes and executes every decision. We all know we have unconscious processes going on under the surface all the time, and subconscious ideas of which we may be unaware, or barely aware.

So what?

The fact that a muscle twitches in anticipation of a signal from the brain does not mean that there is no consciousness directing the action, or that consciousness is fully disconnected from unconscious or subconscious activity. If I am having difficulty breathing, I will become fully aware of it in short order. If not, I am probably fully unaware unless I decide to focus on breathing. I can switch to manual control and take over most minor decisions at my discretion, just as the owner of a business can man the cash register or take over any other spot in the corporate structure. Tasks may move up and down the ladder of consciousness based on my perception of the urgency of their resolution. I may consider issues in my subconscious, at the direction of my higher consciousness, and then become aware of the resolution when my subconscious is done working on the problem. How often do you try to recall some memory and fail, only to have it pop back in your head hours later? Your subconscious went to work on it while you went on to something else. People can even learn while they are asleep!

I imagine that higher consciousness, free will, the 'soul' is part of a cohesive system, in which it acts like the CEO of the corporation. Other elements may act at its discretion, like the marketing director pursuing directives given to her. Some elements act while the CEO is fully unaware of them, as the janitor mopping the floor at some remote branch of the company. Such multitasking seems essential to survival (or at least it was). Nothing Harris said made a dent in this model. We know WHAT it is doing (freely making decisions), but we don't know HOW. The timing of the signals to the body or the 'rising up' of ideas is not inconsistent with free will. We may, sometimes unknown to us, have asked for the idea to be considered. Or, if not, we still must consider its worth and whether to act on it and how to act if we do.

We don't have to have complete or correct information about our environment or complete control over our body or even our minds to act freely. We need only be free enough to choose between two or more alternative actions of which we are aware. Since Harris is trying to prove a negative, it only requires one instance in which this happened for him to be proven wrong. I am satisfied that I have made decisions every day of my life, as are most people. So, he is wrong.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

The problem I have with Sam Harris is the same problem I have with those who insist on religious or mystical solutions. Namely that the proof of an unknown doesn't qualify as proof of a known. Sam can't prove we don't have choice by explaining all the ways in which he can't understand how we could.
Unknown means unknown.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Eduk wrote: November 9th, 2018, 1:29 pm
It is well known in meteorology that the inability to predict the weather with certainty goes BEYOND merely not knowing enough variable
Can you provide a link please.
The only thing I can think of is the uncertainty principle whereby it is conceptually impossible to have the perfect knowledge (presumably) needed to model the weather with 100% accuracy.
But the uncertainty principle doesn't disprove determinism.
If all "decisions" are actually not decisions at all and are pre-determined, likely by the way that sub-atomic particles happened to stream out from the Big Bang, then just like the behavior of billiard balls on a slate table and planets in orbit, all human behavior/decision making would be predictable.
Not necessarily. It could be determined and unpredictable, see the uncertainty principle for an example.
In your mind, do you see a difference between determination and pre-determination?
"As usual... it depends."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

It might be helpfuo to listen to this in order to dig into the distinctions a little further:

http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/71-free-will-d ... and-choice
AKA badgerjelly
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Burning ghost wrote: November 12th, 2018, 2:41 am It might be helpfuo to listen to this in order to dig into the distinctions a little further:

http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/71-free-will-d ... and-choice
Compatibilism seems even more ridiculous coming from this source than seeing someone here try to explain it. Free will is a slippery issue, but the idea of determinism and free will existing together is a clear and simple contradiction. By definition they do not go together, and the arguments he presents are tortured nonsense.

Why do people even try to put these two things together? I can only assume that they see that free will is self-evident. They know subjectively, intuitively, that their own actions are neither random nor fully determined. Yet do not want to let go of determinism, because it applies perfectly to inanimate things. Are they so desperate to have both that they are willing to say these ideas represent reality?

"I am free to choose the one and only thing the universe has determined me to choose."

"I was free to choose the other option which I would have been prevented from choosing."

If I am free to choose, there must be two or more alternative paths which I may choose in the same exact circumstance. In some small way, my choice will determine the reality of the future. No other scenario represents free will, no matter how hard someone tries to spin it. It is rational and fair to believe I have that choice, or to believe my action is determined, but not to believe both.

However, in such a case where it is fair to consider either option, I fail to see why anyone would want to fall on the side that removes meaning from their life. Perhaps most ridiculous is the idea that someone says they believe 100% in determinism, yet concedes it is 'necessary' or 'useful' to carry on as if they had free will. If you buy determinism, you should own it. Why bother arguing about it if you don't believe any choice you ever make could affect the future? Why bother worrying about anything?
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

In your mind, do you see a difference between determination and pre-determination?
Kind of depends how you define the terms? Predetermined usually refers to supernatural manipulations of fate and the like.
Unknown means unknown.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Chewy -

It isn’t ridicuilous at all. The issue is understanding probabilty and how we view the world in a causally deterministic way. If we refused to believe i determinism (in some sense) then we couldn’t place one foot in front of another, understand how probable something may be with any accuracy, or understand a “choice” as a set of limited (not limitless) options.

The terminology in any philosophical investigation ends up conflating ideas where it didn’t mean to and necessarily posing absolutr conditions in order to highlight the problems within the lexical context it is established within.

It is also ridiculous to say “moral nihilism” because it seems contrary. The same goes for “compatibilism” if you frame it as being between two absolutisms (an all or nothing perspective.) It is certainly easy enough to chase your tail when it comes to this subject.
AKA badgerjelly
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Burning ghost wrote: November 12th, 2018, 10:59 am Chewy -

It isn’t ridicuilous at all. The issue is understanding probabilty and how we view the world in a causally deterministic way. If we refused to believe i determinism (in some sense) then we couldn’t place one foot in front of another, understand how probable something may be with any accuracy, or understand a “choice” as a set of limited (not limitless) options.

The terminology in any philosophical investigation ends up conflating ideas where it didn’t mean to and necessarily posing absolutr conditions in order to highlight the problems within the lexical context it is established within.

It is also ridiculous to say “moral nihilism” because it seems contrary. The same goes for “compatibilism” if you frame it as being between two absolutisms (an all or nothing perspective.) It is certainly easy enough to chase your tail when it comes to this subject.
I'm not trying to build a straw man, but...

What you seem to be describing are influences, not determining factors. I can be starving and still choose not to eat.

We're not disputing the effect of influences on choices, but whether actions are choices at all or simply reactions to prior events. It's not my cherry picked idea of what determinism might be; that's what it is. Morality is right out the window if I have no chance to choose between right and wrong. You are not a bad person because you get the hiccups, nor a good person because you have red hair. Morality requires real choice.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Eduk wrote: November 12th, 2018, 6:42 am
Kind of depends how you define the terms? Predetermined usually refers to supernatural manipulations of fate and the like.
Not in my way of thinking. To me they are identical. For example, let's say that determinism is proven to be true. Well if a current thing is 100% caused by a certain set of events. One can use the same set of "proofs" to find their causes etc etc etc backward ad infinitum to the Big Bang. Well at that point everything, for example the reason I am hitting the keys on my keyboard right now are not my decision to do so, it was caused (ultimately) by the way that subatomic particles happened to stream out of the Big Bang. Thus every event in the history of the universe was predetermined by the minute details during it's creation, so determination leads logically to predetermination.
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Lucky, now we are just back to exactly what a choice actually is.
I refuse to take a whole bunch of unknowns and then create a binary option.
Let us just say I believe we choose and I believe in cause in effect. I don't simply except that these terms are mutually exclusive based off of my own ignorance.
Unknown means unknown.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

People often say you shouldn’t talk about politics and religion socially. I often think it a good rule in philosophical discourse not to talk about free will or consciousness! Haha!
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream