When Is Art, Art, And When Is Art, Nonsense.

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
ThomasHobbes

Re: When Is Art, Art, And When Is Art, Nonsense.

Post by ThomasHobbes »

cavacava wrote: October 14th, 2018, 12:32 pm To me neither picture in the OP are art.
There is no picture of a flower.

Failing to see art in the child's work is a failing that YOU have, not the child.
cavacava

Post by cavacava »

ThomasHobbes wrote: October 14th, 2018, 2:39 pm
cavacava wrote: October 14th, 2018, 12:32 pm To me neither picture in the OP are art.

Failing to see art in the child's work is a failing that YOU have, not the child.

It looked like a flower to me.

In regards to the child's rendition, I never blamed the child. It may be a very good work on the part of the child, but it is not art.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

cavacava wrote: October 14th, 2018, 3:44 pm
ThomasHobbes wrote: October 14th, 2018, 2:39 pm

In regards to the child's rendition, I never blamed the child. It may be a very good work on the part of the child, but it is not art.
Not a flower - look again.

The child's art exactly fulfils the definition you gave.
cavacava

Post by cavacava »

ThomasHobbes wrote: October 14th, 2018, 5:02 pm
cavacava wrote: October 14th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Not a flower - look again.

The child's art exactly fulfils the definition you gave.

As I stated: "I found neither beauty nor emotional power in the child's work"

If beauty illuminates or expands our conceptions with an emotional force, I think the child's is work lacking in both these areas.
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

cavacava wrote: October 14th, 2018, 3:44 pmIn regards to the child's rendition, I never blamed the child. It may be a very good work on the part of the child, but it is not art.
Well why not? He probably made it in art class, with art materials, maybe there was an art teacher. I would say that the product was art. Kid art is the most wonderful thing.

But what I really want to say is that the simple definition is the best way to go when considering art. I know I'm in the minority on this.

Say you've been to an opening at a gallery. You saw the art, enjoyed yourself, met the artist, decided that you liked it or thought it was junk, whatever, anyway, someone tells you, "that's not art." Of course it's art. This statement is ridiculous. Art is simply art. It's a category of objects. There's no need for a more complicated definition.

Using the ordinary every day definition frees you up to actually talk about art. It's fun to talk about art. Art is breathtaking, soothing, maddening, some art is fraudulent, insane, too commercial, hobbyist, dilettante, unschooled, visionary, childlike, even nonsense, but it's all art. "What is art" is tiresome. You should be making art or enjoying it or studying it, who is your favorite artist? Can you get the esthetic of Richard Tuttle (what is with that guy?)? What about Whiting Tennis and his freeking hampers? Anne Hamilton!

It's a simple category of objects, it's not a mystery. Art is art, everything else is everything else. See how easy? I don't think about "what is art," and I've never heard of an artist thinking that was a hard question.

The ordinary everyday definition I spoke of is: pictures, objects, performances, made by an artist, shown in galleries or stored in basements, intended for use in the usual way that art is used, hung on walls, displayed for contemplation, etc., etc. including being taped to the family fridge.

I'll shut up now, but art isn't a big deal. It's just art.
fair to say
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

You can't absolutely define art. You just can't.
Do people see this as a problem?
Unknown means unknown.
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

Eduk wrote: October 15th, 2018, 3:33 am You can't absolutely define art. You just can't.
Do people see this as a problem?
No, no problem. Art is just art. Just my opinion.
fair to say
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Given some of the current trends to inhibit free speech I wonder what terms we’d use if the term “art” was banned? Maybe thinking about this would help us see the term as a little outdated and vague so we can then reframe it in a more meaningful way (perhaps splitting it into several different terms - as it is already used in several different ways under given contexts of speech.
AKA badgerjelly
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

This is the crux of the problem BG. You see current trends to inhibit free speech and feel there is a lack of meaning in the word art.
I see inhibitions to free speech as being a permanent feature of mankind and feel blessed that I live in a country which has free speech and I feel that the meaning of the word art is inherent to the individual's meaning, so therefore I feel art is meaningful.
Unknown means unknown.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Eduk wrote: October 15th, 2018, 6:34 am This is the crux of the problem BG. You see current trends to inhibit free speech and feel there is a lack of meaning in the word art.
I see inhibitions to free speech as being a permanent feature of mankind and feel blessed that I live in a country which has free speech and I feel that the meaning of the word art is inherent to the individual's meaning, so therefore I feel art is meaningful.
Not at all. I am, and have always, questioned the historical use of words, how phrases have changed, what people mean when they say something, what I mean, and the differences between written language, spoken language, songs, stories, how some concepts are collections of other words, how they fill in spaces for the convenience of use - to make communication fluid and quick, or to give depth - and how thought is largely “thought of” as being a verbose item with which we tend to rigidly adhere to without realising it (just like the manner in which I’ve typed this out now without any really understanding of where the words are flowing from and how I’m placing them in order in order to express some rather obscure and delicate idea about my thoughts and feelings of language.

Anyway, because many argue over what “is” and what “isn’t” art I thought it a useful experiment to ask yourself if I couldn’t use the term “art” what would I say? And then once you’ve found other terms to use such as “aesthetics”, “beauty” and “sensation” to then remove these terms and to keep going until you arrive at something interesting (or maybe it will prove fruitless for you!)

My view is the opposite. I actually think there is too much meaning in the term “art” and that it can only be really understood if its broken down into parts and examined more thoroughly - of course there is the risk that doing so will lead you to think that words mean nothing, but I imagine most people are stable enough mentally not to fall into such a trap!

One example being how I personally delineate “conceptual art” from “art”. The former I see as a misuse of the term because I’ve taken the time to think about how I define the later in regards to how “art” differs from the term “concept” - and being somewhat free and playful with words myself I am quite happy to refer to anything as anything in a given context due to the human need to express obscure ideas. That said, I still believe poetic licence shouldn’t overextend into technical speech. The dance of this I see as the primary need for philosophical discourse and exploration.

Note: when people im the UK are being encouraged to report offensive speech to the police I think it’s a level of stupidity that has seriously worrying connotations.
AKA badgerjelly
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

How offensive? What happened?
Sure good point about the word art. But then I've never said X is art and then felt that enough had been said :-)
My general feeling is that there is little point over arguing what is and isn't art as it is rarely the case that it actually matters if something is or isn't art. I'm inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt.
Unknown means unknown.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

BG the story you linked me doesn't quite match up with what you said. Anyway we can all agree there are, and always have, been gross miscarriages of justice. As well as gross incompetence in all public bodies.
People are always petitioning that their beliefs should be held above others.
Personally I don't see a massive slippery slope.
Unknown means unknown.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Even when art is nonsense, it is art: ever heard of Dadaism?? Everything is art when it is perceived AS art. The dirt beneath my fingers, e.g.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Art like intelligence occupies a range. Just as the latter goes from idiot to genius, the former goes from the lowest level of skill to it's ultimate human refinement.
boywonderlord
New Trial Member

Post by boywonderlord »

Yeah sure, language is created by us, so nothing inherently exists. You can define everything in existence as art, and you can define one thing as art. I can create an urban dictionary describing each aspect of salt in the sea with the word cat written twenty hundred times in different fonts. I could just write the word poop twenty times and have that amount to the same thing as this paragraph. It is a pointless play on words, and to a degree, everything is as meaningless as the play on words you have just discovered. Congratulations, welcome to philosophy, it is wordplay, and everything is wordplay. Its just one somewhat complicated world that we have created. Limited,but as long as you ignore its contradictions, quite the spectacle. You are not ignoring its contradictions. That, however, does not make you special. It is quite easy to find these contradictions. What is cool, however, is toying with them and creating wonderful fallacies and loopholes and strange toys that make no sense but create music of life, of words, it is the creation of ideas! So sure, art isn't real. But it is! So wake up to the flowers, its time to play with those christmas presents.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream