Has Trump Finally Gone Too Far?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Fooloso4

Has Trump Finally Gone Too Far?

Post by Fooloso4 »

Two recent events may have proven to be too much even for influential Trump supporters.

Barring Jim Acosta from the White House has provoked Fox News has joined other news organizations in their lawsuit against Trump. It has up until now been the case that Fox News would defend Trump no matter what he said or did.

A newly formed group ‘Checks and Balances’, whose members have ties to the Federalist Society (Trump’s go to source for names for appointments to the federal courts) has issued a mission statement clearly aimed at curtailing Trump’s abuse of power. His latest ploy, firing Sessions and appointing Whitaker, in order to end the Mueller investigation has proved to be too much.

There mission statement:
We are a group of attorneys who would traditionally be considered conservative or libertarian. We believe in the rule of law, the power of
truth, the independence of the criminal justice system, the imperative of individual rights, and the necessity of civil discourse. We believe these principles apply regardless of the party or persons in power. We believe in “a government of laws, not of men.”

We believe in the Constitution. We believe in free speech, a free press, separation of powers, and limited government. We have faith in the resiliency of the American experiment. We seek to provide a voice and a network for like-minded attorneys to discuss these ideas, and we hope that they will join with us to stand up for these principles.
They may not wield direct political power, but they will certainly influence the hearts and minds of educated conservatives whose concerns go beyond lowering corporate taxes and deregulation. A couple of points made in an article in the New Republic published today Entitled: “Does the Federalist Society Still Need Trump?” https://newrepublic.com/article/152251/ ... need-trump

The Federalist Society has tolerated Trump because he was their ticket to controlling the judiciary. Now that they have a lock on the Supreme Court they may be less willing to overlook his threats to democracy. If support for him diminishes they may be emboldened and less fearful of reprisal if they are critical of him.

Trump is evidently worried about what the Mueller investigation will reveal, but attempts to curtail it will also be damaging and are likely to be unsuccessful. I won’t make any predictions on the outcome of any of this or anything else he does. Each day brings something new.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Has Trump Finally Gone Too Far?

Post by Sy Borg »

Trump went too far when he refused to show his finances or separate himself from his businesses before taking the job, which should have been conditional based on those criteria being met. However, nothing happened. I expect the same this time and all times into the future now that the precedent has been set.

As far as I can tell, our only hope for honesty and rationality in politics at this stage is if AI achieves singularity and takes over ...
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

It's interesting to examine the key points of that "Checks and Balances" group. How recently was it written? It does seem to be directly and obviously written as a rebuke to Trump, with his well documented attacks on the US Constitution, on the concept of objective truth, on the free press, on "civil discourse" and particularly on "government of laws, not men". Whether this "friendly fire" criticism will make any difference, I couldn't possibly try to guess.
Greta wrote:Trump went too far when he refused to show his finances or separate himself from his businesses before taking the job, which should have been conditional based on those criteria being met. However, nothing happened. I expect the same this time and all times into the future now that the precedent has been set.

From the point of view of people who already didn't support Trump then obviously he did, as you say, go too far a long time ago. But I presume the question being asked is whether he has gone too far for the US political tribes that he used as the vehicle for his rise to power - the uneasy coalition of conservatives and libertarians. And, if he has gone too far for them, does it matter? I think Trump's view would probably be that it doesn't matter because he has The People behind him and any criticism, from any side of the US political spectrum, is just "the swamp" trying to attack the The People's champion.

It's now looking like the Florida recount is going to go in favour of Rick Scott (Rep) and against Bill Nelson (Dem) by a fraction of a percentage point. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Scott had lost. Trump was already reeling out the funny stories of voters wearing disguises. I'd quite like to have seen how furiously he would have railed against it if his guy had lost.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Steve3007 wrote: November 16th, 2018, 4:18 amI think Trump's view would probably be that it doesn't matter because he has The People behind him and any criticism, from any side of the US political spectrum, is just "the swamp" trying to attack the The People's champion.
Exactly. Somehow he has created this cult of personality where he can do no wrong in the eyes of his supporters, just as long as he stays extreme.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Greta wrote:Exactly. Somehow he has created this cult of personality where he can do no wrong in the eyes of his supporters, just as long as he stays extreme.
If I were a Trump supporter, I would seize on your use of the word "somehow" in the above and my narrative would be that the champagne quaffing liberal intelligentsia in their ivory towers (made from ivory plucked from the howling faces of innocent elephants) still just don't get why good, honest horny handed sons of the soil quietly support Trump. I thought I'd get that in before someone else did.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Steve3007:
It's interesting to examine the key points of that "Checks and Balances" group. How recently was it written?
November 13th. The group is led by George Conway, who is the husband of Kellyanne Conway (Trump’s shameless apologist).
I think Trump's view would probably be that it doesn't matter because he has The People behind him and any criticism, from any side of the US political spectrum, is just "the swamp" trying to attack the The People's champion.
A key factor is Trump’s relationship with Fox News. Will their amicus brief, taking sides with “the enemy of people” cause a rift with Trump? Will Trump’s mocking of Hannity behind his back sour their relationship? Trump put Hannity and Fox News in a compromising position when he claimed that Hannity would be a “special guest” at his rallies prior to the midterms and then, ignoring the statement that Fox issued that they do not condone any talent participating in campaign events, called him up on stage anyway, saying he did not care.
(https://www.thedailybeast.com/even-trum ... -questions)

Although Trump demands loyalty he has shown himself time and again to be incapable of being loyal to anyone else. If the breakup becomes a battle I think the kids will go with Fox. I don’t think that most viewers will believe that Fox too is fake news. They had put their trust in Fox long before they put their trust in Trump.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

November 13th. The group is led by George Conway, who is the husband of Kellyanne Conway (Trump’s shameless apologist).
Interesting. I do remember reading that Kellyanne Conway's husband didn't always toe the party line, as it were.

Interesting points about Fox too.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

As I noted here:

viewtopic.php?p=323546#p323546

the disconnect between the Fox News/Sarah Sanders description of what happened in that 9 second long Jim Acosta incident and what was actually captured to have happened on camera is, even by modern post-truth standards, just weird. But it's interesting that in the last hour or so a (Trump appointed) judge has re-instated Acosta's White House press pass.

But maybe the solution for Trump is simply to drop Fox and move further right? And, as with former lawyers and White House employees, claim that any subsequent anti-Trump stories are just sour grapes? Perhaps "Breitbart and Friends" will be the new morning TV News information source of choice. I always thought "Fox and Friends" sounded (appropriately enough) like the name of a kids' cartoon show, anyway.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Maybe they played the wrong game when they claimed they were attacked physically by Acosta?
I think if they had assaulted Acosta on camera and claimed that they didn't then they might have got more traction.
Unknown means unknown.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Steve3007:

… the disconnect between the Fox News/Sarah Sanders description of what happened in that 9 second long Jim Acosta incident and what was actually captured to have happened on camera is, even by modern post-truth standards, just weird.

Well, Trump is a fan of Infowars and friends with its founder Alex Jones. Both are waging a war on verifiable information, which they have in common with Russia’s disinformation campaign “Operation Infektion”. What is not clear is whether Trump is also a victim, believing stories he gets from Jones and others to be true or just passing them along because they are useful to him.
But maybe the solution for Trump is simply to drop Fox and move further right?
Trump does not simply drop things. He loves to fight. I don’t know that any other source with have the same influence that Fox does with his followers. In any case, it seems more likely that they will continue to play nice together, at least for now. It also seems likely that it will not be more that a few days until the next weird thing happens.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

I can't read trump's mind so I'm not 100% sure what he has or hasn't fallen for. But at best it is the equivalent of closing ones eyes and running a red light.
Unknown means unknown.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Fooloso4 wrote:Well, Trump is a fan of Infowars and friends with its founder Alex Jones. Both are waging a war on verifiable information, which they have in common with Russia’s disinformation campaign “Operation Infektion”. What is not clear is whether Trump is also a victim, believing stories he gets from Jones and others to be true or just passing them along because they are useful to him.
In this case it was Sarah Sanders who tried to use the doctored Infowars video as evidence. I presume it's the latter. It's just a pragmatic attitude to information. It's not true or untrue. It's useful or not useful.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Steve3007:
In this case it was Sarah Sanders who tried to use the doctored Infowars video as evidence. I presume it's the latter. It's just a pragmatic attitude to information. It's not true or untrue. It's useful or not useful.
I do not know whether she knew it was doctored or not, but it should be her job to determine its veracity. I also do not know whether she has abandoned the distinction between true and false or just tries to blur it when it is useful. But it is all part of the game of creating a world of “alternative facts” where “the truth is not the truth”.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Steve3007 wrote: November 16th, 2018, 5:42 am
Greta wrote:Exactly. Somehow he has created this cult of personality where he can do no wrong in the eyes of his supporters, just as long as he stays extreme.
If I were a Trump supporter, I would seize on your use of the word "somehow" in the above and my narrative would be that the champagne quaffing liberal intelligentsia in their ivory towers (made from ivory plucked from the howling faces of innocent elephants) still just don't get why good, honest horny handed sons of the soil quietly support Trump. I thought I'd get that in before someone else did.
Thanks Steve, strong observation.

In this renaissance of unreason, nothing bugs me more than that kind of game playing ... aha! An opening! Never mind if it's obviously not the author's intent. (I'm more into coffee and tea than the usual elite quaffables). I hear that the horny handed sons of manufacturing are noticing that their champion did not bring home the bacon.

With the Mueller investigation you can tell when Trump is feeling threatened because he becomes shrill and obsessive, as now with the possibility that his new man may be forced to stand down anyway, even if he would rather go bat for his dodgy boss.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Greta:
In this renaissance of unreason ...
Nicely put!

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream