Should the UK leave the European Union?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Belindi

Re: Should the UK leave the European Union?

Post by Belindi »

I think that the right wing nationalists in Europe are more of a threat not only to their own countries and to Europe, but also to the UK whether or not or how we brexit.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

It's looking now as though a second referendum is actually a distinct possibility, since the thing that seems to unite more people than anything else is that the deal still being championed by Theresa May is worse than staying in the EU. So we might yet see the strange spectacle of Remainers and hardline Brexiters both voting to stay in the EU.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

https://youtu.be/BdF2Yk1fBZ0?t=1906

I thought this was interesting. An audience member claiming to have worked in the finance department for the leave campaign says 'the remain campaign lied also, a lot'.

Does anyone who voted remain actually care that the remain campaign lied? Presumably you all knew the remain campaign also lied? So it doesn't count? Did she lie for the right reasons? If everyone knew she was lying then why lie? Presumably while everyone knew they also knew that not everyone knew? Just trying to work out the logic here.

Let me put it this way. In my opinion the correct response to her admission would be jail time (not just for her). If not jail time then at least disbarment from running in or for political parties. There seems to be no standards whatsoever on what claims the government (or those running for government can make).
Unknown means unknown.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Eduk wrote:I thought this was interesting. An audience member claiming to have worked in the finance department for the leave campaign says 'the remain campaign lied also, a lot'.
Yes, although since she didn't have the opportunity to elaborate on what she meant by that, it's difficult to draw any conclusions from it. Perhaps somebody should have asked her what specific things, in her view, each side lied about.

---

I wonder if Trump's latest intervention in the tortuos ongoing Brexit fiasco might actually make a "People's Vote", containing the option to cancel Brexit, more likely.

Hardline Brexiters generally regard the deal on which parliament will be voting on the 11th December as worse than staying in the EU. The Trump administration is reported to be in contact with hardline Brexiters in the British Tory Party, looking for opportunities to overthrow May's government. And, of course, Trump's attitude to trade negotiations is well publicised: they are zero-sum games between pairs of countries with one winner and one loser. So naturally Trump doesn't want any ongoing cooperation between the UK and the rest of the EU. His whole policy is to pick off smaller countries one by one. Countries uniting together to make blocs that are of about the same economic size as the US, and which can't therefore so easily be beaten in the greater poker game (as he sees it) of trade negotiations, is naturally something he's going to try to destroy.

So, it's going to be an interesting couple of weeks leading up to the vote, with Theresa May attacked from all sides, both at home and abroad. I guess she has little, if anything, to use to fight back against Trump.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Yes, although since she didn't have the opportunity to elaborate on what she meant by that, it's difficult to draw any conclusions from it. Perhaps somebody should have asked her what specific things, in her view, each side lied about.
I must admit that it is only my assumption, but I think all of it?
Hardline Brexiters generally regard the deal on which parliament will be voting on the 11th December as worse than staying in the EU.
It is. Which is one of the reasons to stay in the EU.
Unknown means unknown.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Eduk wrote:I must admit that it is only my assumption, but I think all of it?
You think both sides lied about all of it? I'm all in favour of a bit of cynicism but I wouldn't go that far. I'm sure there was at least some truth told.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Anyway, Trump's intervention (among other things) seems to be causing the pound to tank against the Euro (and the USD), which is, funnily enough, actually quite good financial news for my family at the moment. Thanks Trumpy. I suppose.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

You think both sides lied about all of it? I'm all in favour of a bit of cynicism but I wouldn't go that far. I'm sure there was at least some truth told.
I think both sides value electability over reality. So while there is certainly more truth and less truth to some of the arguments put forth I do doubt that any were true (with a normative definition of truth).
Unknown means unknown.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

seems to be causing the pound to tank against the Euro (and the USD), which is, funnily enough, actually quite good financial news for my family at the moment.[/quote
You have had a lot of good news recently :)
Unknown means unknown.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Another funny thing: The live TV debate between Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn, just before the vote in Parliament, is going to be on the same night as the series final of "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here!".

There's got to be some good material for satirists there.
barata

Post by barata »

To come back to my starting point "We are better off outside the EU because big is not beautiful and the EU is too big" in a group of 10 people doing a job, say ploughing a field by hand, anyone who slacks off gets brought into line and made to do their fair share and anyone who is less capable is only expected to do what they can. Ideally that's how society works, but the bigger the group the easier it is for some to dodge their fair share of work [or fiddle themselves a greater share of the rewards] and since those dodging/fiddling are probably ones we don't know it becomes easy to stigmatise them as some sort of inherently inferior sub-group. The control of the dodgers/fiddlers requires ever more draconian rules that make life for the majority worse than it needs to be.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

barata wrote: December 6th, 2018, 11:33 pm To come back to my starting point "We are better off outside the EU because big is not beautiful and the EU is too big" in a group of 10 people doing a job, say ploughing a field by hand, anyone who slacks off gets brought into line and made to do their fair share and anyone who is less capable is only expected to do what they can. Ideally that's how society works, but the bigger the group the easier it is for some to dodge their fair share of work [or fiddle themselves a greater share of the rewards] and since those dodging/fiddling are probably ones we don't know it becomes easy to stigmatise them as some sort of inherently inferior sub-group. The control of the dodgers/fiddlers requires ever more draconian rules that make life for the majority worse than it needs to be.
But when old time farmers in medieval England ploughed a field they cooperated in the use of plough and oxen. Each individual farmer had narrow strips of land to plough and together the group of farmers ploughed efficiently because, compared with isolated individual,they were a large enough and cooperative group.

It's true that ,as you say, larger groups need more control by law or by social superiors, or by traditions that are often supported by religion. What is your calculation that finds for you that life is better when individuals don't cooperate so much? It's hardly sufficient to assert that the work of making and enforcing rules is such as to negate the benefits of cooperative work.
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Belindi wrote: December 7th, 2018, 8:50 amIt's true that ,as you say, larger groups need more control by law or by social superiors, or by traditions that are often supported by religion. What is your calculation that finds for you that life is better when individuals don't cooperate so much? It's hardly sufficient to assert that the work of making and enforcing rules is such as to negate the benefits of cooperative work.
I'd suggest that the benefit of communal work starts to be negated when the ordering person doesn't actually know what the worker is doing. The moment you reach that point 'the rule is the rule' and it may be doing your work harm, but since the rule maker doesn't know this he can't do anything about it. It is now accepted in industry that feedback from the shopfloor is a significant part of efficient operation. Suprastate bodies, even national bodies rarely have such mechanisms and the chances of them working effectively are poor even if they exist, simply because different parts of the system will work best in different ways.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Does the correct size of government exactly match each countries current and future borders irrespective of population or total land mass? Seems like a coincidence too good to be true.
Unknown means unknown.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Mark1955 wrote: December 10th, 2018, 12:41 pm
Belindi wrote: December 7th, 2018, 8:50 amIt's true that ,as you say, larger groups need more control by law or by social superiors, or by traditions that are often supported by religion. What is your calculation that finds for you that life is better when individuals don't cooperate so much? It's hardly sufficient to assert that the work of making and enforcing rules is such as to negate the benefits of cooperative work.
I'd suggest that the benefit of communal work starts to be negated when the ordering person doesn't actually know what the worker is doing. The moment you reach that point 'the rule is the rule' and it may be doing your work harm, but since the rule maker doesn't know this he can't do anything about it. It is now accepted in industry that feedback from the shopfloor is a significant part of efficient operation. Suprastate bodies, even national bodies rarely have such mechanisms and the chances of them working effectively are poor even if they exist, simply because different parts of the system will work best in different ways.
It's been suggested (sorry I cannot give a reference to it but it's in Guardian today maybe yesterday I think) that David Cameron should have discovered that popular feelings about personal identity are much more significant to voting patterns than are party allegiances.Would you say that local identities such as Geordie, Borders, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, or West Country are more important to individuals than British, Labour, or Conservative?

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream