Can an argument undoubtably be proven true or false?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
tsay6
New Trial Member

Can an argument undoubtably be proven true or false?

Post by tsay6 »

(Hopefully this is in the right section).
Given any statement (e.g. My hair is brown, that is a stick, that thing is between 1 and 2 feet long in this reference frame), can it be proven true or false in a purely objective way?
Halc

Re: Can an argument undoubtably be proven true or false?

Post by Halc »

tsay6 wrote: December 2nd, 2018, 10:34 pm (Hopefully this is in the right section).
Given any statement (e.g. My hair is brown, that is a stick, that thing is between 1 and 2 feet long in this reference frame), can it be proven true or false in a purely objective way?
You posted this in metaphysics, and the metaphysical answer is no, none of the examples you gave can be proven since first you must prove some sort of metaphysical variant of realism that makes your hair, the potential stick object, or the 'thing' real. That reality cannot be proven in an objective way since all forms of realism require unverifiable premises such as the ones that idealists deny.

Some arguments can be proven true, such as the fact that there are an infinite number of primes. That at least doesn't require a premise of realism, but it probably still relies on some fundamental axioms needed to define prime numbers.
RJG

Post by RJG »

wrote:Can an argument undoubtably be proven true or false?
No. Arguments can only 'logically' be proven true or false. Although logical truths are "objective truths" (and therefore relied upon as 'certain'), they are not "undoubtable".

Although the 'content' of one's experiences/perceptions can never "undoubtably" be proven true, the "experiencing" itself is nonetheless considered "undoubtably" true.
ktz
Favorite Philosopher: Habermas

Post by ktz »

tsay6 wrote: December 2nd, 2018, 10:34 pm (Hopefully this is in the right section).
In my current understanding I think the answer is yes, but with some conditions -- you have to have precise definitions and recognize the assumptions behind your statement, you have to declare your criteria for truth, and you have to define the range and standards for truth. These criteria and standards vary across different disciplines -- truth means very different things in mathematics, the social sciences, and legal proceedings (beyond "reasonable" doubt), for example. But I think for statements that can meet required threshholds for truth defined by the context your are looking in, I think it is possible to reach an objective determination of true or false. If you lack these conditions, it's possible to quite quickly get bogged down by a debate on even the most fundamental things, like whether we are all just living in a simulation and if anything is real or true at all. I think you are getting at identifying the need for this in your last example when you start to talk about the context of a reference frame. For the best results in answering your question, I think it would help us if you could help us understand a bit better what you mean by "purely objective" -- is this a reference to objectivism and pure independence from human knowledge? Or objective as opposed to subjective validity claims to truth?

Definitely anything which relies on very precise and formal mathematical definitions can be proven true or false, provided one accepts certain self-evident axioms as the building blocks of truth. Modern mathematics relies on the axioms of Zermael-Frankel set theory, and from those self-evident truths uses logical tools to build more and more advanced and complex theorems to be used as axioms for more and more advanced and complicated conjectures.

In a scientific context, where empirical evidence is used to confirm or deny hypotheses, it is generally understood that it is much easier to prove a hypothesis to be false than than true, since falsification only requires one counterexample, but to prove something to be true requires one to prove that no counterexamples are possible, which is a much tougher criteria to meet. So science usually uses the idea of statistically significant effects rather than an objective determination of truth, because the criteria for objective truth is too hard to conclude from a single experiment. In modern applications of the scientific method, the typical criteria for statistical significance that people use is a p-value of less than 5%, meaning there's a less than 5% chance that the null hypothesis is responsible for the observed effects. If the experiment is replicated enough times, the statistical significance of the observed effects continue to go up until it is accepted as, perhaps not truth, but good supporting evidence for the best available scientific explanation for a certain phenomenon.

According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy's entry on truth, three philosophical variations of truth dominate modern philosophy on the topic -- the correspondence theory, the coherence theory, and the pragmatic theory.

-- Correspondence theory means, very simply, a statement is true if and only if it corresponds to a fact in the real world. Polish logician and mathematician Alfred Tarski came up with some of the precise formal definitions for truth conditions back in the 1930s, which are still referenced today in the conversation about the correspondence theory of truth.

-- Coherence theory models truth as requiring the acceptance of certain groups of propositions as truthful, and then evaluations of truth can happen based on whether a new statement is coherent with previously accepted groups of truths. I think this conception of truth is more popular in philosophy than in the real world -- it has its roots in idealism and guys like Spinoza, Kant, Fichte and Hegel. The more modern mantle is taken up by Quine and Davidson in the 20th century.

-- Pragmatic theory tries to set up "k, good enough" understanding of truth, where truth is the end of inquiry. One modern variations of pragmatism is constructivism, where truth is understood to be a social construct, and generally relies on a truth condition of consensus and empirical justifiability. But constructivism rejects the idea that we can know objective truth, maintaining rather than we can only know truth to a certain degrees of validity and accuracy, so it may not meet your criteria of truth in a "purely objective way".

I'm not an expert and I'm not really up to date on the modern literature for truth, so I wouldn't take this as a comprehensive inquiry or anything, but it's my current understanding on the subject. If you are interested in learning more, the SEP has pretty good individual entries for all of these philosophical version of truth. https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/truth/
Wikipedia also offers discussion on other commonly used criteria for truth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criteria_of_truth
You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard-boiled egg.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

tsay6 depends how you define terms.
Some people define truth as impossible and give good reasons for doing so.
Personally i prefer a more pragmatic approach. If we agree that truth by one definition is impossible then perhaps this is a pointless definition of truth? How about if we can ascertain if something is practically true. Personally I think the scientific method gives the best practically true proofs that we currently know.
Unknown means unknown.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Why not ?!

Statements are only assertions of definition.

First you look up the definition.

Then you do an Aristotelian comparison between the definition and the statement.

Finally, just as Robert's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt (as Johnny Depp would say in Pirates Of The Caribbean), the syllogism is either valid or not.

You would need to be an extreme skeptic not to be able to perform such a straightforward analysis.

And skepticism has been overthrown by Cogito Ergo Sum and Descartes. At least so according to Modern Philosophy.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

RJG wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 8:37 am
wrote:Can an argument undoubtably be proven true or false?
No. Arguments can only 'logically' be proven true or false. Although logical truths are "objective truths" (and therefore relied upon as 'certain'), they are not "undoubtable".

Although the 'content' of one's experiences/perceptions can never "undoubtably" be proven true, the "experiencing" itself is nonetheless considered "undoubtably" true.
Yes and not only that but then there is also the entire debate about objectivism and subjectivism.

Aristotle -- objective.

Ayn Rand -- subjective.

Everybody is on either one side of this argument or the other.

The Sophists were subjectivists.

Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, etc. were objectivists.

Depends on what you believe (epistemology).

I always simply believe I will have another drink.
A_Seagull
Favorite Philosopher: Heraclitus

Post by A_Seagull »

It depends what you mean by 'true' or 'false'. Given that you use those words in conjunction with the word 'proven', I shall presume that you mean: Can some statement be shown to be a theorem of some logical system and hence is 'true' within that system or that it can be shown that it can never be a theorem of some logical system and hence can be labelled 'false' within that system.

Well, first you need to define the logical system to which you refer. This will require the introduction of elements and processes of inference. Once you have your logical system in place, then you can run it in some logical processor and see whether the statement you are interested in appears as a theorem of the system. If it does appear, you can label it as being 'true' within that system. However if it does not appear after some finite amount of time you cannot label it as 'false' within that system as it might be that it could be generated as a theorem at some later time.
The Pattern Paradigm - yer can't beat it!
[ ]
New Trial Member

Post by [ ] »

Theres a way around it, If you say for exemple *I Believe that the sky is blue* Then you know your answer is objectively true because the argument is not if the sky is blue but if you believe so. Or again you can say * according to the laws of mathematics 1+1=2* Basicly you have to be specific and quote a certain way of thinking to get an objective truth because in the grand scheme of things (for some at least) Nothing is certain.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream