Proof of God

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
LuckyR

Re: Proof of God

Post by LuckyR »

Philosch wrote: December 13th, 2018, 10:59 am Yeah...unfortunately the logic is valid...which says nothing about the truth value of the premises and therefore the conclusion. Love is not god nor is god love. The statement is a cutesy metaphor or maybe even poetic but in ordinary linguistical terms "god" is a concept in that has a series of debatable attributes to describe the concept and "love" is another such concept which the OP may be arguing is a subset of "god". They are not equal to one another except maybe poetically. If they were equivalent I could say the phrase "I god you" to my daughters and it would make perfect sense....but of course it doesn't. I could also say these ten commandments were spoken to Moses by "love". I didn't say with love or because of love. I said "by" love and it's a nonsensical statement. So trying to assert the truth value of premises based on constructing proper logical form from poetic notions is silly.
You bring up a good point. The original meaning of god is as a placeholder to mean the explanation of the origin of life, the universe and everything, as well as how things worked back before the invention of science and engineering. Currently the term has more of a cultural and historical importance, that is "believers" don't use the concept of god the same way as the inventors of gods did.
"As usual... it depends."
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Some peoples who are not Christians or Jews and so on worship the high god who has various names. This high god is the creator god. The people also worship ancestors who represent the laws and customs that bind the moral consensus that holds the society together. There are also gods of place the function of which is environmental morality.

Abrahamic god whose name is God is usually the god for all of those functions. As such the Abrahmic god whose name is God is a strong Authority for any elite ruling group to claim to be in cahoots with. Roman Emperor Constantine well knew all this.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: December 14th, 2018, 10:04 am Some peoples who are not Christians or Jews and so on worship the high god who has various names. This high god is the creator god. The people also worship ancestors who represent the laws and customs that bind the moral consensus that holds the society together. There are also gods of place the function of which is environmental morality.

Abrahamic god whose name is God is usually the god for all of those functions. As such the Abrahmic god whose name is God is a strong Authority for any elite ruling group to claim to be in cahoots with. Roman Emperor Constantine well knew all this.
You are of course correct about the co-opting of any and all cultural opportunities by the leadership in their quest to control the rabble. Though the percentage of the population who really believed the dogma in Roman times likely dwarfed that in current times in the west, where a large number show up in church either out of obligation, habit or for non-theistic reasons (social, business or family ones).
"As usual... it depends."
Newme

Post by Newme »

Greta,
I agree with much of your comments regarding churches essentially not being Christ-like. You didn’t phrase it that way, but it’s true that many Christian groups don’t prioritize Christ’s “greatest commandments... which hang all the law and the prophets.” They collect plenty of money but don’t share much with those in need. Having visited poverty-stricken places where people live in shacks with dirt floors and no running water, I’ve realized needs that are going unmet. I voiced my concerns in the religion I still attend (though no longer believe) and was reprimanded.

When it comes to churches being exclusive, I can see how it doesn’t seem right. Yet, I also can see how people can be harmed by those intent on harming. This is why prisons separate those who have been caught being harmful. Personally, through painful trial and error, I have discovered some people in my life who require boundaries. We get along better & they would hurt me & my family otherwise, as they have in the past. But I think it’s also good - or what Christ taught - to love your enemies and visit those in prison. Jesus (Joshua) had boundaries - sometimes he basically said no to some, yet he set a good example of loving everyone he came across.
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
Newme

Post by Newme »

Philosch wrote: December 13th, 2018, 10:59 am Yeah...unfortunately the logic is valid...which says nothing about the truth value of the premises and therefore the conclusion. Love is not god nor is god love. The statement is a cutesy metaphor or maybe even poetic but in ordinary linguistical terms "god" is a concept in that has a series of debatable attributes to describe the concept and "love" is another such concept which the OP may be arguing is a subset of "god". They are not equal to one another except maybe poetically. If they were equivalent I could say the phrase "I god you" to my daughters and it would make perfect sense....but of course it doesn't. I could also say these ten commandments were spoken to Moses by "love". I didn't say with love or because of love. I said "by" love and it's a nonsensical statement. So trying to assert the truth value of premises based on constructing proper logical form from poetic notions is silly.
Do you think love is silly? God and love are both not easily defined. Is that why you see the definition of God as love, silly - because it’s not helpful in clarifying?

What if God is a word that represents that which cannot be clarified? Taoism, Islam and probably other religions suggest that. So, should we just ignore it - not bother with it? The bible lists over 800 characteristics or definitions of God. Love is one of them. “The kingdom of God is within you” is another.

Let’s take those 2. What is love? I’d say appreciating what is, while striving for what’s best. What is the kingdom (realm/experience) of God within me? I’d say it’s all internal thoughts, feelings and intuitions which have a deep, but often misguided, desire for the highest GOoD possible. Semantics aside, who doesn’t actively believe that? And what if consciously believing in God inspires and motivates you to live better than you would without such belief?
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

I agree with Philosch that religious sayings are poetic not literal. And I think that "God is Love" which one sometimes sees written big on church display, claims that God and love are equivalent.

I gather that equivalence of God and love is Platonic idea from the Greeks same as "God is good".This is to interpret 'God is Love' literally. It's like love, and good, as Platonic forms.I think also that NewMe describes the Judeo-Christian God Who has been influenced by the Greek idea. Personally, I agree that this Platonic idea of God as equivalent to love is a good belief, although it requires parsing like Paul parsed it. Even then, it's sometimes difficult to decide which of several courses of action is the most loving. Moreover a lot of people have an over-sentimental view of what love is.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Newme wrote: January 11th, 2019, 12:59 pmI have discovered some people [...] who require boundaries.
I agree with this. Religion has long proved helpful in difficult socio-economic situations in providing behavioural boundaries and hope.
Intellectual_Savnot
Favorite Philosopher: Myself

Post by Intellectual_Savnot »

omg I am just picking up Cohen's LOGIC book and I just learned what a cattegorical syllogism is. Cool! Also, good form, no room for a logical deduction with your premises alone proving the validity of the proposition while the premises are held true due to the truth relying on the trutch of the conclusion. Using a the words of the Bible as proof of the being that is critical to the validity of the words of the bible is self-proof from something unproven otherwise (in the context of the syllogism). Tell me if I am correct, I swear I am totally new to syllogistic reasoning and its categorical form.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Greta wrote: January 11th, 2019, 10:51 pm
Newme wrote: January 11th, 2019, 12:59 pmI have discovered some people [...] who require boundaries.
I agree with this. Religion has long proved helpful in difficult socio-economic situations in providing behavioural boundaries and hope.
I agree too.
Philosch

Post by Philosch »

Newme wrote: January 11th, 2019, 1:13 pm
Do you think love is silly? God and love are both not easily defined. Is that why you see the definition of God as love, silly - because it’s not helpful in clarifying?

What if God is a word that represents that which cannot be clarified? Taoism, Islam and probably other religions suggest that. So, should we just ignore it - not bother with it? The bible lists over 800 characteristics or definitions of God. Love is one of them. “The kingdom of God is within you” is another.

Let’s take those 2. What is love? I’d say appreciating what is, while striving for what’s best. What is the kingdom (realm/experience) of God within me? I’d say it’s all internal thoughts, feelings and intuitions which have a deep, but often misguided, desire for the highest GOoD possible. Semantics aside, who doesn’t actively believe that? And what if consciously believing in God inspires and motivates you to live better than you would without such belief?
Of course I don't think love is silly....my exact phrase above is "trying to assert the truth value of premises based on constructing proper logical form from poetic notions is silly", which is an opinion about this practice of trying to make formal logical truth claims about poetic or metaphorical statements....nothing more. I made no claims about the value of the terms god or love in my assessment. This kind of categorical mismatch is typical on this forum and in many other places in our modern world of communication and it's a not so clever and obvious attempt to try to sneak in logical proofs of things that aren't logically provable. That's it. The OP could have easily started a discussion about the relationship of the two terms God and Love and everyone could have had a perfectly lovely discussion about such a thing. Instead the OP thinks they've cleverly proven the existence of god using a syllogism that is "silly" at best. It's a sophmorphic misunderstanding of what formal logic is good for and how to use it properly. That is the entirety of my point.

What you have done in your third sentence is setup a straw man argumenet or at minimum a very lawyerly trick of asking me "why I think the definition of god as love is silly" which is absolutely nothing I ever said. Happens all the time on these forums and in courtrooms accross the country. You may not have done it intentionally or maybe you did, either way whatever kind of fallacious tactic that is, it needs to be pointed out whenever it oocurs.

The rest of your post although interesting and even thoughtful, has nothing to do with my oposition to the assertion by the OP.
Bahman

Post by Bahman »

Jaded Sage wrote: August 27th, 2015, 10:45 am 1 John 4:8 defines God as love, so God is love.

If love exists, then God exists. Love exists, therefore God exists.

Love ≡ God Love ∴ God

Is the form correct? It's been a long time since I have done logical proofs.
The love that we subjectively experience is different from the love that is God in the verse "God is love". Therefore your argument doesn't follow.
Kevin Levites
New Trial Member

Post by Kevin Levites »

If God exists, God could--by definition--do anything He wants.

Could He create a stone that is so heavy....that it would be impossible for Him to move it?

Think carefully before answering.
Newme

Post by Newme »

Philosch wrote: February 1st, 2019, 11:51 am
Newme wrote: January 11th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Of course I don't think love is silly....my exact phrase above is "trying to assert the truth value of premises based on constructing proper logical form from poetic notions is silly", which is an opinion about this practice of trying to make formal logical truth claims about poetic or metaphorical statements....nothing more. I made no claims about the value of the terms god or love in my assessment. This kind of categorical mismatch is typical on this forum and in many other places in our modern world of communication and it's a not so clever and obvious attempt to try to sneak in logical proofs of things that aren't logically provable. That's it. The OP could have easily started a discussion about the relationship of the two terms God and Love and everyone could have had a perfectly lovely discussion about such a thing. Instead the OP thinks they've cleverly proven the existence of god using a syllogism that is "silly" at best. It's a sophmorphic misunderstanding of what formal logic is good for and how to use it properly. That is the entirety of my point.

What you have done in your third sentence is setup a straw man argumenet or at minimum a very lawyerly trick of asking me "why I think the definition of god as love is silly" which is absolutely nothing I ever said. Happens all the time on these forums and in courtrooms accross the country. You may not have done it intentionally or maybe you did, either way whatever kind of fallacious tactic that is, it needs to be pointed out whenever it oocurs.

The rest of your post although interesting and even thoughtful, has nothing to do with my oposition to the assertion by the OP.
Ok, I see your point about the words, “God” and “Love” not being interchangeable, but that wasn’t suggested. Rather it was, that God is in part, Love. God may be considered in part intelligent design, (objective truth) but also spiritual intuition and love (subjective truth).

How do you define God? By what book or standard? Atheism is based on a straw man logical fallacy - taking the most ridiculous idea of God (usually as tyrannical grandpa in the sky), denying it and pretending the debate over God is conclusively over. It’s much more difficult to argue against intelligent design in the universe, or against love (subjective truth).
Newme

Post by Newme »

Bahman wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 11:30 am
Jaded Sage wrote: August 27th, 2015, 10:45 am 1 John 4:8 defines God as love, so God is love.

If love exists, then God exists. Love exists, therefore God exists.

Love ≡ God Love ∴ God

Is the form correct? It's been a long time since I have done logical proofs.
The love that we subjectively experience is different from the love that is God in the verse "God is love". Therefore your argument doesn't follow.
How is it different? How can YOU perceive or sense anything besides subjectively?
Bahman

Post by Bahman »

Newme wrote: April 27th, 2019, 4:04 pm
Bahman wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 11:30 am
How is it different? How can YOU perceive or sense anything besides subjectively?
My subjective reality mainly is the result of existence of an objective reality. Feeling is not an object in objective reality but a quality realized by an intelligent agent. Thoughts in another hand is about relation between objects in objective reality.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream