Truth

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Steve3007

Re: Truth

Post by Steve3007 »

RJG wrote:Yes, the objective truths of logic/math are beyond question. For any attempt to deny them only defeats the validity of the attempt.
Are the objective truths of maths and logic simply statements of our determination to use certain symbols in certain ways? If we cite these as examples of certain truths, can we similarly cite the agreed definitions of words in dictionaries?
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Steve3007 wrote: December 17th, 2018, 7:01 am
RJG wrote:Yes, the objective truths of logic/math are beyond question. For any attempt to deny them only defeats the validity of the attempt.
Are the objective truths of maths and logic simply statements of our determination to use certain symbols in certain ways? If we cite these as examples of certain truths, can we similarly cite the agreed definitions of words in dictionaries?
It seems like logic and math only give us provisional truths. If X=3, then X+5=8. But though we might have broad agreement about the value of X, and there may be an objective fact of its true value, our idea that X=3 is necessarily subjective. Similarly, if we accept meanings of words, then their use gives certain meaning (though the statement itself might still be false).

It's just my opinion that objective truth is out there, waiting to be found. Maybe we find it sometimes, yet we never know for sure, for we have nothing which is not subjective which is truly ours. Of everything else we have only impressions.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
RJG

Post by RJG »

Steve3007 wrote:Are the objective truths of maths and logic simply statements of our determination to use certain symbols in certain ways?
No. Math and logic are not determined by us, nor is 'man-made' in any way. Math and logic are objective truths, that we then try to express/communicate with symbols (and words) in certain ways.

Steve3007 wrote:If we cite these as examples of certain truths, can we similarly cite the agreed definitions of words in dictionaries?
Yes. For it is the agreed upon meanings of these 'labels' (words/symbols/names/squiggle-marks), that really matter, not the 'name/label' given to represent the meaning.

chewybrian wrote:It seems like logic and math only give us provisional truths. If X=3, then X+5=8. But though we might have broad agreement about the value of X, and there may be an objective fact of its true value, our idea that X=3 is necessarily subjective. Similarly, if we accept meanings of words, then their use gives certain meaning (though the statement itself might still be false).

It's just my opinion that objective truth is out there, waiting to be found. Maybe we find it sometimes, yet we never know for sure, for we have nothing which is not subjective which is truly ours. Of everything else we have only impressions.
Logic/math gives us 'true' (objective) truths, not provisional or subjective truths. --- Analogy: A calculator is an objective tool (much like logic/math), but if we incorrectly use this calculator (i.e. push the 'divide' button instead of the 'multiply') we can get screwy subjective results (false truths).

Logic/math, and specifically hunting down 'logical impossibilities', is our best and only means to find truths (other than Descartes "clean slate" method which is severely limited), as there is nothing in this universe that we can be more 'certain' of, than the certainty of a logical impossibility. This, elimination of logical impossibilities from our contaminated pool of knowledge, is therefore the best and most appropriate path to obtaining "true knowledge".
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

RJG wrote: December 17th, 2018, 3:22 pm Logic/math gives us 'true' (objective) truths, not provisional or subjective truths. --- Analogy: A calculator is an objective tool (much like logic/math), but if we incorrectly use this calculator (i.e. push the 'divide' button instead of the 'multiply') we can get screwy subjective results (false truths).

Logic/math, and specifically hunting down 'logical impossibilities', is our best and only means to find truths (other than Descartes "clean slate" method which is severely limited), as there is nothing in this universe that we can be more 'certain' of, than the certainty of a logical impossibility. This, elimination of logical impossibilities from our contaminated pool of knowledge, is therefore the best and most appropriate path to obtaining "true knowledge".
People can decide if something is true or not, but it is only subjective opinion, not objective fact. Objective facts are only theory. I have the opinion that the are out there, yet can not say 100% when (if) I have found one, even though I think that I know many of them.

Logic does not give truth. It answers an 'if...then...'. The inputs are always necessarily ifs, meaning the outputs are only true "if". I think provisional works, but contingent truth nails it down better. And, logic is only useful for argument if your opponent assents to the cornerstone premise. If you believe A, and A implies B, and B implies C, then C must be true. Nothing that follows matters if you deny A. Logical impossibilities are also contingent on the truth of the inputs (the opinion of such truth held by the person assenting to it, or not).

If you come to me with an "A" that is a load of you know what in my mind, like telling me that people can not think, then the logic that follows won't impress. Or, if your conclusion is such nonsense, then I must assume that your initial premise, or some step along the way, is faulty.

It's nice that you want to escape our real, messy universe of unknowns. Choose a different doorway, and I might go with you. But, you wish to tell me that my very essence is not just in doubt, but rather can not exist, even as I can only receive your corrupted message by putting my reason to use. The essence of man is reasoned choice. It is the foundation of our success, such as it is. I am thinking, Achilles and the tortoise paradoxes aside. The actual process of thought is an unknown, but it's existence is not in doubt. You can not receive my message nor reply without it.

Perhaps the conscious mind is the user, and the unconscious is the calculator or the spreadsheet. None of that would alter the fact that I form opinions about objects and events, and I make choices based upon my opinions. My thoughts don't randomly pop up; I form them (likely through a coordinated effort of layers of consciousness). You can see the same events and form a different opinion (clearly :roll: ). The nuts and bolts of the process of forming opinions and making choices is not known, but it is clearly happening.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
RJG

Post by RJG »

chewybrian wrote:Logic does not give truth.
Logic gives us "logical truths".

chewybrian wrote:And, logic is only useful for argument if your opponent assents to the cornerstone premise. If you believe A, and A implies B, and B implies C, then C must be true. Nothing that follows matters if you deny A.
Agreed.

chewybrian wrote:Logical impossibilities are also contingent on the truth of the inputs (the opinion of such truth held by the person assenting to it, or not).
Most logical impossibilities are simple contradictions that take the form of X = ~X. For example "married bachelors" -- married men = non-married men" is a direct and obvious contradiction (X = ~X).

I agree with you that this is again, contingent on the agreed upon meanings of the terms.

chewybrian wrote:If you come to me with an "A" that is a load of you know what in my mind, like telling me that people can not think, then the logic that follows won't impress. Or, if your conclusion is such nonsense, then I must assume that your initial premise, or some step along the way, is faulty.
If there is a faulty premise, then the conclusion is not sound. But if the premise(s) are true, and the syllogism (math) is valid, then the conclusion is sound and therefore "logically true", regardless of one's dislike for the conclusion. -- And "dislike" does NOT mean "not-true".

chewybrian wrote:It's nice that you want to escape our real, messy universe of unknowns.
No offense chewy (at least no more offense than you show me), -- to the contrary, it is more likely that you do not want to escape your fantasy (santa claus) world, so as to avoid seeing reality as it truly is.

Chewy, these kinds of comments (yours and mine) here are totally unnecessary. These do NOTHING to further the discussion. Moving forward, I hope you (and I) can refrain from such insults, as these only highlight our 'inability' to effectively argue; and make our respective cases. Thank you.

chewybrian wrote:Choose a different doorway, and I might go with you. But, you wish to tell me that my very essence is not just in doubt, but rather can not exist...
Are you here at this forum seeking truth, or comfort?

chewybrian wrote:My thoughts don't randomly pop up…
So can you know your thoughts before they pop up into your awareness? We would all like to believe that we are the masters (the scripters/authors) of our thoughts, but this is simply not the case. Firstly, it is not even experientially detectable, and secondly, it is not even logically possible. I've already shown the logical proof (and can present it again if you wish).

We can't possibly know our thoughts before we know them. Logically, every single thought (and experience!) that we are conscious/knowing of has ALREADY BEEN SCRIPTED for us. Every thought and experience has 'content'. Without this already scripted 'content', there would be 'nothing' to know of, 'nothing' to be conscious of; 'nothing' to experience.

If EVERYTHING that we are conscious/knowing of has ALREADY been scripted, then there is NOTHING LEFT for us to consciously/knowingly script. ...so now, where do we go from here? Do we then cast stones at the person that made us aware of this truth, or do we suck it up and go on with life, but being a bit wiser.

As I said in earlier posting:
RJG wrote:Although we all seemingly accept logic as our pathway to truth ("true knowledge"), most of us do so 'only' up to a certain point. For example, as in this case of the logical impossibility of "conscious causation", most of us are psychologically unable to accept a logical truth that inevitably strips ourself of power and purpose, for fear that such an existence may not be worthy of existence. The rejection of this logic is very understandable and reasonable.

But if one's innate curiosity for truth is greater than their innate fear of existential unworthiness, then the 'acceptance' of this otherwise rejected logical truth may then be possible. When confronted with a "Danger Ahead" sign on one's path to truth, only those whose curiosity for truth is greater than their fear for safety/security, will continue on past this fearful point. Most others, will denounce this point in the pathway, and turn back around and down the previous comforting pathway, ...a very normal and expected reaction.

But for those that bravely step past this "Danger Ahead" sign (danger point), there is no need or reason to be discouraged or disillusioned of losing a power that we never had. Life's experiences, good and bad, continue nonetheless. Enjoy the good, and endure the bad. At first 'acceptance', this piece of true knowledge (logical truth) wreaks havoc on our emotions, moods, and purpose of being, much like coming off an addicting drug. But after some time, after the initial acceptance, this new piece of true knowledge yields a contentful and better understanding of reality. We feel we are no longer living in a false reality, but now we are a bit wiser, and the experiences of life, good and bad, continue nonetheless. What we've gained is a better understanding of the actions of others and ourselves. The bad guys no longer appear truly bad and deserving of punishment, and the good guys no longer appear truly good and deserving of praise. We are who we are, and we experience what we experience, ...and life is still good, (...and existence is still worthy!)
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

so now, where do we go from here? Do we then cast stones at the person that made us aware of this truth, or do we suck it up and go on with life, but being a bit wiser.
Your conclusion makes zero sense if your premise is true. chewybrian cannot decide to throw stones or get on with life. chewybrian cannot make decisions. You can't have it both ways RJG
Also wisdom requires judgement. Judgement (good) requires considered decisions and/or sensible conclusions. If decisions are illusory then wisdom must also be illusory.
I mean I know it's logically impossible for you to think and therefore make sense RJG because you cannot think. So I don't personally blame you. You are not free to throw rocks or get on with it as your programming dictates.
Unknown means unknown.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Eduk wrote:...if your premise is true. @chewybrian cannot decide to throw stones or get on with life. @chewybrian cannot make decisions.
Bingo! ...now you get it.

Eduk wrote:You can't have it both ways @RJG
Who ever said I could?

Eduk wrote:Also wisdom requires judgement. Judgement (good) requires considered decisions and/or sensible conclusions. If decisions are illusory then wisdom must also be illusory.
The 'experiencing' of wisdom (new thoughts) and judgements (feelings) are still only just experiences, nothing more. You don't 'know' it until 'after' you experience it. It is not possible to 'know' these experiences 'before' you experience them.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

So you ask chewybrian to either throw stones or get on with it. With the implication that getting on with it is the right choice. But then you also deny anyone can choose. And your programming can't give you the experience of feeling like that is trying to have it both ways? Asking someone to do something which they can't logically do is illogical. I thought your programming liked logic?
Unknown means unknown.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

'Having an experience' means that the world offers its material to the subject, and the material gets organized in a certain way for the subject, depending on the disposition and history of the subject. So experiencing means interpreting, seeing something as something, just as Fooloso4 remarked. The content of the experience is a synthesis of the material and the organizing principle, which is what we call understanding or reason. As Kant wrote, intuitions without concepts are blind. In this sense there is nothing wrong in using our ordinary language expressions and saying that we think, and also that we act, do things, choose and so on. The questions of determinism and free will are a topic of their own.

As to the question whether we cause or author our thoughts, I would say that our history and biological structure determine or cause the content of our thoughts, together with the material given to the subject.
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:...so now, where do we go from here? Do we then cast stones at the person that made us aware of this truth, or do we suck it up and go on with life, but being a bit wiser.
Eduk wrote:So you ask @chewybrian to either throw stones or get on with it. With the implication that getting on with it is the right choice. But then you also deny anyone can choose.
I am certainly not implying that chewybrian, or any of us can (consciously) choose our actions. For that is impossible! - I am simply stating that we will take one of two actions, either 1) we'll cast stones, or 2) we'll suck it up.

Tamminen wrote:As to the question whether we cause or author our thoughts, I would say that our history and biological structure determine or cause the content of our thoughts, together with the material given to the subject.
Agreed (...though we still disagree on who this mystery "subject" is, himself, ...but that is another discussion for another time)
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Do we then cast stones at the person that made us aware of this truth, or do we suck it up and go on with life, but being a bit wiser.
Why is it wiser to go on with life?
Unknown means unknown.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Tamminen:
As to the question whether we cause or author our thoughts, I would say that our history and biological structure determine or cause the content of our thoughts, together with the material given to the subject.
I think the whole notion of causing thoughts is misguided. I do not cause myself to walk, and nothing else does either. I do not first do something to cause me to walk and then walk. Nothing else causes me to walk and then I walk. I walk. If I cause myself to walk then I might ask what causes me to cause myself to walk? Some may think that this shows that we do not have free will, but this misses the point.

I am the author of my thoughts but many of my thoughts are borrowed. For the most part we are not original thinkers, but thinkers nonetheless. We are not ventriloquist dummies. Note, you say “I would say”. No one and nothing is saying that for you or through you. Our history and biological structure are part of who we are. That history and biology does not cause us to think but allow us to think as we do.
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:Do we then cast stones at the person that made us aware of this truth, or do we suck it up and go on with life, but being a bit wiser.
Eduk wrote:Why is it wiser to go on with life?
It is the accepting/gaining of knowledge that makes us wiser.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

It is the accepting/gaining of knowledge that makes us wiser.
But I can't accept anything? You said that's impossible.
Unknown means unknown.
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:It is the accepting/gaining of knowledge that makes us wiser.
Eduk wrote:But I can't accept anything? You said that's impossible.
Sure you can. You can accept, and do all kinds of things, but just not 'knowingly'. ...you don't know what you do until 'after' you did it. ...the 'doing' always precedes the 'knowing-of-the-doing'.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream