Can the dictionary be solved by mathematics?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
TryingMyBest

Can the dictionary be solved by mathematics?

Post by TryingMyBest »

The dictionary is a list of definitions. It has up to 170,000 words and 170,000 definitions for those words. Isn't this similar to a set of equations with X variables and X equations? Whenever the variables are the same number as the equations, the variables can be solved for.

Once the equations are programmed in, you would just have to tell it to solve for "beauty" (or "define beauty") and everything remotely connected to "beauty" would branch out into more and more ideas until all the beautiful things in the world are part of the definition. If this has been done I want to see the results visually if possible. If it has not been done then it needs to be. A computer program could "solve for truth" and could answer philosophical questions, like what is truth, love, or beauty. [I think AI will be a good philosophy tutor in the future.]

If nobody is working on this problem, then PM me and we can work on it together! 8)
LuckyR

Re: Can the dictionary be solved by mathematics?

Post by LuckyR »

Ah, the dictionary. The one place where nuanced understanding is absent. Dictionary "definitions" are specifically geared towards an audience who literally knows nothing of the subject matter and thus only contains the most elementary and basic information about the matter at hand.
"As usual... it depends."
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

What do you mean by "once the equations are programmed in"? What are the "equations"; just the respective definitions of the words?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
TryingMyBest

Post by TryingMyBest »

Scott
Answering your second question: The equations are the mathematical truth-statements as reflected by the definitional statements. These definitions would have to follow mathematically-interoperable logical English-grammar syntax rules so that it is more than just a collection of words. (This could be short-circuited by analyzing a thesaurus instead of a dictionary, although some specificity of meaning might be sacrificed.)
So, yes, the equations are the respective definitions of the words, altered only to capture English syntax.

Answering your first question: "Once the equations are programmed in" means that each word is assigned its mathematical meaning, while each variable remains a variable. Having all the definitions turned into equations lets you "solve" (or define) any one variable (word) apart from the others, so long as the word under question is used elsewhere in the dictionary. (This would not define, nor should it logically be able to define, new words.)
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

TryingMyBest wrote: December 17th, 2018, 4:03 pmSo, yes, the equations are the respective definitions of the words, altered only to capture English syntax.
I believe this exists already. For example, you can go to Google and type in "define:X" where X is the word you want defined. Then the definition of X will be displayed. That is just one example. There are many online dictionaries which can give you the definition/"equation" of a word. You enter X (the word) and the online dictionary outputs the definition.

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
TryingMyBest

Post by TryingMyBest »

The google define function merely regurgitates the equation that was initially programmed in. I'm after much more than that.

By temporarily deleting the equation of "beauty" and asking the computer to generate a new one, the computer would be tasked with encompassing everything that beauty is, that is all references based on other definitions, and derive a new definition for the term. I think this definition would have some similarities and some differences with the original definition, but I sincerely doubt they would be equivalent. This could be done countless times with different words until "new" associations are uncovered. Perhaps truer and truer definitions would emerge with each iteration of this process.

Taking it to the next logical step: The dictionary is supposed to represent the truth about meaning. This could be visualized by assigning a 3-dimensional node to each word and by allowing the nodes to move in 3-D space as they are attracted to (other nodes that correspond to) their meaning. At first, all words would be given random (x,y,z) coordinates but words of similar meanings would quickly coalesce and form physically intriguing structures. Each connection to other words would serve as a level of attraction between the two nodes. I think that after a bit of time, the simulation would balance and there would be structures of meaning floating and swirling and interacting with other structures of meaning. Perhaps an entire structure would represent Reality while another structure would represent that which is false??? Perhaps virtues and values would find distinct places and be able to be categorized more easily. Perhaps emotions could be quantified. Perhaps much more could be learned. To visualize the true connections of all the words in the dictionary is a powerful tool. If I knew how I would build it. I'm sure the folks at Google have the technical expertise, of course, they already have the equations, I just wish someone would build this tool so that I, and others, might better understand the nature of Truth by definition.

We describe our world by using words. I see value in letting those words and definitions work for us to that we may uncover Truth that we weren't even looking for.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

TryingMyBest wrote:By temporarily deleting the equation of "beauty" and asking the computer to generate a new one, the computer would be tasked with encompassing everything that beauty is, that is all references based on other definitions, and derive a new definition for the term...
I'm no expert on language interpretation algorithms, but what you're describing in this post sounds a little bit like a neural network system for the interpretation of language. Possibly similar to systems that have already been developed.

But rather than analysing a static, out-of-date-the-moment-it-is-printed dictionary, a system like that can presumably make much more progress by analysing the ways in which words are actually used by people in real communication. In this case, there would be no concept of a dictionary being "solved" because the meanings of words, in use, are continually shifting. As you've described in your second paragraph, the clouds of words would float around in "word-space" as their meanings and associations with other words gradually changed.

It would be interesting to write software to create a visual representation of this - a dynamically changing 3 dimensional word-cloud that constantly trawls the internet consuming word associations.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Actually, I think Google Translate already uses an algorithm along these lines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Ne ... ranslation

It's an interesting subject. I bought a book about Deep Learning a while ago with the intention of doing a bit of research on it. It's called "Deep Learning (Adaptive Computation and Machine Learning Series)" and looks promising. I definitely intend to get around to reading it soon.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

TryingMyBest wrote: December 18th, 2018, 3:43 pm The google define function merely regurgitates the equation that was initially programmed in.
No, it doesn't.

TryingMyBest

Post by TryingMyBest »

Scott wrote: December 19th, 2018, 11:25 am
TryingMyBest wrote: December 18th, 2018, 3:43 pm The google define function merely regurgitates the equation that was initially programmed in.
No, it doesn't.
I don't mean to quibble with you about this but Google uses the Oxford English Pocket Dictionary for its results. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/ is the source. The definitions exactly match.

If there is a dictionary that populates its own definitions from a dictionary that has been "solved", I'd very much like the reference. I think it would be a great tool for philosophy.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Much like how Google search results in general are determined, I believe Oxford also uses soft AI and complex computer data analysis to find and analyze the information on the "150 million words" or so that they track, as it is presumably way too much data for a team of humans to possibly process. Here is some information about it: https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/our-story/corpus

In any case, TryingMyBest, I believe you are right; I was incorrect to state or imply that Google's define function (through Oxford) does not primarily depend on a human-developed input and/or verification of definitions of words, but that's a moot point.

Scott wrote:What do you mean by "once the equations are programmed in"? What are the "equations"; just the respective definitions of the words?
TryingMyBest wrote:So, yes, the equations are the respective definitions of the words, altered only to capture English syntax.
Scott wrote:I believe this exists already. For example, you can go to Google and type in "define:X" where X is the word you want defined. Then the definition of X will be displayed. That is just one example. There are many online dictionaries which can give you the definition/"equation" of a word. You enter X (the word) and the online dictionary outputs the definition.
TryingMyBest wrote:The google define function merely regurgitates the equation that was initially programmed in.
That's what we're talking about: the "programming in" of equations (a.k.a. word definitions) so that you can input the word/"variable" and get the definition/"equation".

That programming in of equations has been done by Oxford and others, and so you can go to countless online dictionaries or Google and type in X and the computer returns the definition of X.

Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

TryingMyBest wrote: December 19th, 2018, 2:13 pmIf there is a dictionary that populates its own definitions from a dictionary that has been "solved", I'd very much like the reference. I think it would be a great tool for philosophy.
I'd suggest that dictionaries are like holy books, read around a bit and you'll find one that you like, but for much the same reason oyu'll never get the others to agree that one is 'right'.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Why not simply say that any word whose meaning is unknown or only vaguely so is defined generically in a dictionary which becomes more specifically defined in context. Only if the meaning is formalized from a remote source is an algorithm required. As a function it only adds complexity on what is simply a word inquiry.
Intellectual_Savnot
Favorite Philosopher: Myself

Post by Intellectual_Savnot »

I would assume any well done language has a dictionary fully solvable by mathematics, given you understand at least ONE component of the dictionary
JosephM

Post by JosephM »

I would consider your idea to be the standardization of the use of the language, based on a numerical value of appropriateness.
(The Truth IS, that which actually is , and verbal truth , IS that which is said ,attempting to abide what actually exists.)
Words are ballpark approximations which depend upon perspective.
So in that vein, yes, it would be possible if everyone cooperated , to arrive at a highly standardized version of English, yet the truth itself is going to forever be imperfectly defined.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream