Evidence that Consciousness Survives Bodily Death?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Tamminen

Re: Evidence that Consciousness Survives Bodily Death?

Post by Tamminen »

RJG wrote: December 31st, 2018, 2:51 pm I think the misuse of language is in claiming that one can be "conscious of a conscious experience". For if experience = conscious experience, then one can never be conscious of an 'experience', because then every experience within "conscious experience", is yet another "conscious experience". At what point does one ever become conscious of the experience itself?
Perceptions and feelings are conscious experiences, and we can be conscious of both in a knowing experience, reflection. The object of perception is a real thing in the real world, not the perception, and in the conscious experience of feeling there seems to be no object, just consciousness in its basic form, with physiological correlates of course. So no infinite regress, if you get what I mean. All experiences are conscious by definition, and in reflection we are conscious of our experiences, which answers your last question.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Tamminen wrote:Perceptions and feelings are conscious experiences, and we can be conscious of both in a knowing experience, reflection.
These perceptions/feelings may have, at one time, been the consciousness-of-something else, but now they are the 'X' (the object) of my present reflection (consciousness). One cannot be conscious of conscious experiences.

Tamminen wrote:The object of perception is a real thing in the real world…
Not so. This is impossible. It is impossible to experience a non-experience. The object of consciousness is an 'experience'; a "mental impression" (a 'matched' or 'recognized' past experience from memory, or another "bodily reaction" of some type). We can only 'hope and pray' that our "mental impressions" match that of something 'real' out there.

Tamminen wrote:...and in the conscious experience of feeling there seems to be no object, just consciousness in its basic form, with physiological correlates of course.
Not so. If we consciously experience feelings (emotions/urges/whatever) then these particular feelings are the 'something'; the 'object'; the 'X', that we consciously (knowingly) experience.

Tamminen wrote:All experiences are conscious by definition, and in reflection we are conscious of our experiences, which answers your last question.
Not so. If all experiences were conscious, there would be nothing left to be conscious of. (We would be conscious of 'nothing'). Furthermore, "reflection" is just another word for "consciousness". Reflecting on one's experiences (thoughts/feelings/sensory/urges/etc) is being conscious/knowing of one's experiences.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

RJG wrote: December 31st, 2018, 4:21 pm These perceptions/feelings may have, at one time, been the consciousness-of-something else, but now they are the 'X' (the object) of my present reflection (consciousness). One cannot be conscious of conscious experiences.
We are conscious of their existence in our immediate past. At the time of reflection they exist no more. I have not claimed anything else.
It is impossible to experience a non-experience.
The logic of perception is such that its object is something existing in the real world.
If we consciously experience feelings (emotions/urges/whatever) then these particular feelings are the 'something'; the 'object'; the 'X', that we consciously (knowingly) experience.
That's what I said. And those feelings are conscious experiences.
If all experiences were conscious, there would be nothing left to be conscious of.
It seems that you did not understand what I wrote in the post you are quoting. We are conscious of many things which are not experiences. I think dogs are not conscious of their experiences, but they are conscious of food and such things. At least you should not claim that my logic fails here. You see logic so important that you should not make this kind of elementary mistakes. I mean I see you have your own logic which does not fail if we accept your premises, but I do not accept them.
Consul

Post by Consul »

RJG wrote: December 31st, 2018, 4:21 pmNot so. This is impossible. It is impossible to experience a non-experience. The object of consciousness is an 'experience'; a "mental impression" (a 'matched' or 'recognized' past experience from memory, or another "bodily reaction" of some type). We can only 'hope and pray' that our "mental impressions" match that of something 'real' out there.
We cannot experience nonexperiences, but we can perceive nonexperiences through experiencing sensations which are appearances or impressions of them.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Consul

Post by Consul »

Tamminen wrote: December 31st, 2018, 5:14 pmThe logic of perception is such that its object is something existing in the real world.
Right. The content of sensory perception is a subjective sensation, but its content is not its object. The object of perception is perceived through its experiential content, but the experiential content is not what is perceived. When I see a tree I don't see my sense-impressions of it but the tree. The tree-impressions are the experiential content of my tree-perception but not its intentional object.
BigBango

Post by BigBango »

Consul wrote: December 31st, 2018, 11:34 pm
Tamminen wrote: December 31st, 2018, 5:14 pmThe logic of perception is such that its object is something existing in the real world.
Right. The content of sensory perception is a subjective sensation, but its content is not its object. The object of perception is perceived through its experiential content, but the experiential content is not what is perceived. When I see a tree I don't see my sense-impressions of it but the tree. The tree-impressions are the experiential content of my tree-perception but not its intentional object.
Yes, you do a good job of escaping Berkeley's mistake.

You and Greta also portray the evolution of "consciousness" in a well educated contemporary way. The problem I have with your account of the appearance of "consciousness" is that it ignores any reference to the possibility of its fractal origins. Your account sees primitives that come into existence in this world without any reference to worlds that existed before the Big Bang.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Big Bang, as characterized contemporaneously, was really the beginning of everything. Gee, every Big Bang starts everything anew, therefore what difference does it make what occurred before the Big Bang. The truth is that the nature of our being comes from a continuum that spans Big Bangs. The subject that evolved before our most current Big Bang is a player in the evolution of the subject that has evolved in our familiar world. What we need to realize is that that "subject" is more technologically advanced than us but is very small, their ecosystems are net much bigger than a Planck volume. My claim is that in spite of their small size they play a big role in the development of our consciousness because of their advanced technology. Fractals are like that. They evolve until they are very mature existents and then they give birth to younger versions of themselves. The life before the Big Bang evolved into technologically advanced civilizations before their world collapsed. Our world consists of the evolution of a young "subject" that is created from the efforts of a very small old "subject".
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

RJG

I try to understand your way of thinking, and what I think of your thinking goes like this:

As a materialist you start from the presupposition that you have a body with some brain processes going on, some of them being what you call 'memory'. And when certain physiological conditions are met, there emerges something like consciousness. So now there is consciousness and its material correlate, which can also said to be its functional basis. This is a sound idea, although 'emergence' and 'basis' are ambiguous concepts for an anti-materialist like me.

Now we have consciousness and its material correlate. As I understand, you say that consciousness is consciousness of its material correlate, something in your body. It is true that eg. Spinoza says the body is the object of the mind, and it is also true that in certain modes of consciousness, like pain, we are conscious of our body. But there are modes of consciousness where we cannot say so without changing our natural way of using language, as both Consul and I have shown many times. And the worst misuse of language is to say that the physiological correlate of consciousness is an experience. That leads to such absurd claims as rocks having experiences.

By the way: how do you know you have a body?
Consul

Post by Consul »

BigBango wrote: January 1st, 2019, 2:23 am
Consul wrote: December 31st, 2018, 11:34 pmRight. The content of sensory perception is a subjective sensation, but its content is not its object. The object of perception is perceived through its experiential content, but the experiential content is not what is perceived. When I see a tree I don't see my sense-impressions of it but the tree. The tree-impressions are the experiential content of my tree-perception but not its intentional object.
Yes, you do a good job of escaping Berkeley's mistake.
"…In order to show how all of these arguments rest on the same fallacy, I need to state the argument as a series of steps. I will do this for the Argument from Illusion.

Step One: In both the veridical (good) case and in the hallucination (bad) case, there is a common element—a qualitative subjective experience going on in the visual system.

Step Two: Because the common element is qualitatively identical in the two cases, whatever analysis we give of one, we must give of the other.

Step Three: In both the veridical case and the hallucination case we are aware of something (are conscious of something, see something).

Step Four: But in the hallucination case it cannot be a material object; therefore, it must be a subjective mental entity. Just to have a name, call it a 'sense datum'.

Step Five: But by step two we have to give the same analysis for both cases. So in the veridical case, as in the hallucination, we see only sense data.

Step Six: Because in both hallucinations and in veridical perceptions themselves we see only sense data, then we have to conclude that we never see material objects or other ontologically objective phenomena. So Direct Realism is refuted.

This basic argument in many different forms was the foundation of modern epistemology, where 'modern' means from the seventeenth century on. I have claimed rather briskly that it has disastrous consequences. Why? Notice that the only reality that is accessible to us on this account is the subjective reality of our own private experiences. This makes it impossible to solve the skeptical problem: How, on the basis of perception, can we ever know facts about the real world? The problem is insoluble because our only perceptual access is to private subjective experiences, and there is no way to get from the ontologically subjective experiences to the ontologically objective real world."

(Searle, John R. Seeing Things As They Are: A Theory of Perception. New York: Oxford University Press, 2015. pp. 22-3)
RJG

Post by RJG »

Tamminen wrote:We are conscious of many things which are not experiences.
Not so. Without a bodily experience (bodily reaction) to be conscious of, there is nothing else for us to be conscious of.

Tamminen wrote:I think dogs are not conscious of their experiences, but they are conscious of food and such things.
Not so. If dogs are conscious, then they can only be conscious of their 'experiences', or in this case, their visual and olfactory sensory reactions (which in turn are presumably caused by the 'real' food itself). None of us, including dogs, are conscious of the 'causers' of our bodily reactions, we are instead only conscious of the bodily reactions (aka 'experiences') themselves. The 'cause' of our experiences can only be assumed.

Consul wrote:We cannot experience nonexperiences, but we can perceive nonexperiences through experiencing sensations which are appearances or impressions of them.
Well, not really. To be technically correct, we can only assume/hope that our experienced sensations accurately reflect the supposed non-experience which caused them. Since we can't actually see past our own sensations, so as to see the 'real causers' of our sensations, we can only, at best, just guess/assume their nature/existence.

Tamminen wrote:As a materialist you start from the presupposition that you have a body with some brain processes going on, some of them being what you call 'memory'. And when certain physiological conditions are met, there emerges something like consciousness. So now there is consciousness and its material correlate, which can also said to be its functional basis. This is a sound idea, although 'emergence' and 'basis' are ambiguous concepts for an anti-materialist like me.
Bodily reactions are the experiences (the object; the 'X') that we (the subject; aka "experiencer") then may or may not become conscious of. The consciousness (knowing) of a bodily reaction (the 'consciousness-of-X') is itself a unique/singular bodily experience called 'recognition'. For it is this 'recognition' that converts the 'non-conscious' experience ('X') into the 'conscious' experience ('consciousness-of-X'). [Note: And again, without an 'X' (bodily experience) there can be no consciousness-of-X; hence no consciousness at all.] But 'recognition' is not possible without a 'means' to store and match (i.e. to recognize) past experiences. 'Memory' provides the means, and the capability, to store and match past experiences with present experiences.

To put it simply, there is no magic here. Those with eyeballs can see. Those with ears can hear. And those with memory can 'know' (be 'conscious').

Tamminen wrote:Now we have consciousness and its material correlate. As I understand, you say that consciousness is consciousness of its material correlate, something in your body. It is true that eg. Spinoza says the body is the object of the mind, and it is also true that in certain modes of consciousness, like pain, we are conscious of our body. But there are modes of consciousness where we cannot say so without changing our natural way of using language, as both Consul and I have shown many times. And the worst misuse of language is to say that the physiological correlate of consciousness is an experience. That leads to such absurd claims as rocks having experiences.
The problem is that you assume your mental impression is caused by something 'real' out there, when you have absolutely no way of knowing the source/cause of this mental impression. For example, when you perceive a tree, you have no way of knowing if this tree is the result of a delusion/dream/hallucination, or is a mirage/illusion/optical trick, or if you are in a virtual reality environment, or even if you are a brain-in-a-vat, or if the tree is actually the real McCoy himself.

Making the blanket claim that the tree you perceive is 'real', is doing so via blind faith (just hoping and praying).

Tamminen wrote:By the way: how do you know you have a body?
All my experiences are bodily experiences (or that which I call body). Without a reactive experiential body, there would be no experiencing; no consciousness; and therefore no "me".
RJG

Post by RJG »

Searle (via Consul) wrote:"Step Six: Because in both hallucinations and in veridical perceptions themselves we see only sense data, then we have to conclude that we never see material objects or other ontologically objective phenomena. So Direct Realism is refuted.

This basic argument in many different forms was the foundation of modern epistemology, where 'modern' means from the seventeenth century on. I have claimed rather briskly that it has disastrous consequences. Why? Notice that the only reality that is accessible to us on this account is the subjective reality of our own private experiences. This makes it impossible to solve the skeptical problem: How, on the basis of perception, can we ever know facts about the real world? The problem is insoluble because our only perceptual access is to private subjective experiences, and there is no way to get from the ontologically subjective experiences to the ontologically objective real world."
Hopefully Searle isn't rejecting this logic based on its "disastrous consequences". As the 'ugliness' or 'dislike' of something is not a valid reason to reject it.

Searle (via Consul) wrote:How, on the basis of perception, can we ever know facts about the real world?
We can't. "Perceptions" (experiential/subjective truths) can never be trusted to yield objective truths (true knowledge). If we wish to "know facts about the real world", then we must use deductive logic. We must use objective tools to yield objective truths.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

RJG wrote: January 1st, 2019, 8:46 pm All my experiences are bodily experiences (or that which I call body). Without a reactive experiential body, there would be no experiencing; no consciousness; and therefore no "me".
I can agree on this, in the way you put it. But then:

As I see it, you are saying that I am just a material organism conscious of some physiological processes of that organism you call 'experiences'. And I am conscious of those experiences because there are some physiological processes of the same organism you call 'recognition', which in turn is possible because there are some physiological structures or processes of the same organism you call 'memory'. So nothing but self-reference of matter.

I just wonder where I am in all this. I get lost. Annihilated.

Subjective idealism forgets the real world. Materialism in its most vulgar forms forgets the subject. You have succeeded to put both sins into one package: reified solipsism! Congratulations.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Tamminen wrote:As I see it, you are saying that I am just a material organism conscious of some physiological processes of that organism you call 'experiences'. And I am conscious of those experiences because there are some physiological processes of the same organism you call 'recognition', which in turn is possible because there are some physiological structures or processes of the same organism you call 'memory'. So nothing but self-reference of matter.

I just wonder where I am in all this.
"I" am just the experiencer; the physical 'body' itself. There is no "I" separate from the body. Without a reactive (experiential) body, there can be no reaction (experience) of 'knowing' (consciousness).
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

RJG wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 10:37 am "I" am just the experiencer; the physical 'body' itself.
This the materialistic concept of 'subject', and I guess Consul would agree with you on this. I do not. My view is that organisms do not think. Subjects think with their brains. Subjects have brains and bodies. Bodies do not have brains to think with. There cannot be such a reference relation within the material world. So I have a different perspective to all this. If I were identical with my body as a subject, I would not complain if it did not function in the way I wanted. It is a tool, given to me to use for my existence, but it just happens that I was given this particular tool. This is what I mean when I say that the subject is transcendental. It transcends its body, rebels against it, complains that it cannot think more clearly with its brain, play better with guitar and so on. The subject uses its body as an instrument of existing.
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:"I" am just the experiencer; the physical 'body' itself.
Tamminen wrote:This the materialistic concept of 'subject', and I guess Consul would agree with you on this. I do not. My view is that organisms do not think.
We don't "think" either. Contrary to popular belief, we only just experience our thoughts (bodily reactions). We are only just the 'experiencers' of our thoughts, feelings, sensations, and urges. That's it.

Tamminen wrote:This is what I mean when I say that the subject is transcendental. It transcends its body, rebels against it, complains that it cannot think more clearly with its brain, play better with guitar and so on. The subject uses its body as an instrument of existing.
If you experience these thoughts and desires, then these are only just more 'experiences' (bodily reactions). That's all.
Consul

Post by Consul »

RJG wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 7:24 am
Searle (via Consul) wrote:How, on the basis of perception, can we ever know facts about the real world?
We can't. "Perceptions" (experiential/subjective truths) can never be trusted to yield objective truths (true knowledge). If we wish to "know facts about the real world", then we must use deductive logic. We must use objective tools to yield objective truths.
Of course, there are epistemological problems of (sensory) perception, but according to empiricism, which is "the 'default' or 'official' epistemology of science" (A. Rosenberg), all synthetic knowledge is (fundamentally/ultimately) based on/grounded in sensory perception (observation). And as the huge success of empirical science shows, sensory perception is a fallible yet reliable source of knowledge.

Of course, logical inferences from observation sentences play a crucial role, but the point is that all inferential synthetic knowledge is ultimately based on observation sentences that are directly, i.e. non-inferentially, grounded in sensory observation.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream