What happens to us when we die?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Binyamin7
New Trial Member

Re: What happens to us when we die?

Post by Binyamin7 »

Jan Sand wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 3:08 am It is reasonable to first prove immaterial things exist before it is granted that they can cease to exist. Brain functions can be discerned with current instrumentation of blood flow and synaptic connection and disconnection. There is nothing immaterial in thinking.
The mechanism we use to think, the brain, is testable, but the creative internal being and the language we use to think is all immaterial.

Can you think without using language? How do we explain your complex immaterial emotional thoughts which occur using language? Emotions seem to be an immaterial law or sorts, they do not serve the purposes of naturalistic explainations but are clearly very real. Intertwined in our being is a morality, which is immaterial, emotions, which is immaterial, all these things use our bodies to express themselves but appear to be in control of our bodies instead of subjects of and/or inventions of our bodies. This very conversation is nonsense if we are strictly naturalistic creatures, why would a human ever venture to think such things?

All the laws of nature exist, we do not invent them. Same with mathematical laws, you can assign a different symbol or value but the laws are always the same. We find an incredible amount of immaterial laws which we use to make matter do what we want it to, but we do not use matter to violate the immaterial laws, because they are unchangeable. By observation we find that the immaterial lords it over the material world in this way, one governs the other. Our being is immaterial and our material body listens to it until it leaves and goes where it goes.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Jan Sand wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 3:52 am Since experience, like any modification of material through time, vanishes with the destruction of the recording device, be it a human brain or a vinyl record, the concept of never never enters into the equation.
Matter can't be created or destroyed, it just changes / appears to change. It never vanishes so in that sense it's eternal.
True philosophy points to the Moon
Binyamin7
New Trial Member

Post by Binyamin7 »

Jan Sand wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 9:44 am At the age of 93 I daily shake hands with the concept of death and cannot dismiss the idea of non existence as not worth contemplation. Any living creature is, moment by moment, a complex of physiological dynamics which evolves continuously. and to dismiss its existence is to dismiss the existence of a snowflake because its descent in space places it in a different position in space as it falls. We are more than our memories as our physical existence changes as we exist. That our knowledge of ourselves records our existence gives us a sense of our four dimensionality but does not deny our existence beyond the momentary sense of now, any more than the attention to a point on a line denies the existence if a line. I still savor greatly my sense has great deficiencies of existence and am fully aware that my long memory does not recall precisely every instant of my past but I am quite aware that I did not cease to exist when my memories are deficient in perfect recall.
93? Awesome, there is something sobering about listening to one of our elders reflect on life this way. I hope you have accepted the free gift of salvation extended by Mashiach Nagid.
Binyamin7
New Trial Member

Post by Binyamin7 »

Atla wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:01 am
Jan Sand wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 3:52 am Since experience, like any modification of material through time, vanishes with the destruction of the recording device, be it a human brain or a vinyl record, the concept of never never enters into the equation.
Matter can't be created or destroyed, it just changes / appears to change. It never vanishes so in that sense it's eternal.
Except at some point is was all created according to the sciences of Origins. We can prove it when we see the Galaxies all drifting away from each other simultaneously.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Reality is odd when we have no means of integrating it into that aspect of reality we have already formulated. We each create our personal realities out of sensory input patterns and in all probability there is much phenomena out there not necessary to our survival so we have no sensory mechanisms to reveal it. Other creatures like bats and dolphins have different sensory apparatus and therefore create different realities to live in. Dark matter is apparent in gravity analyses.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Virtual particles appear and disappear continuously and when a virtual pair appears near a black hole and when one of the pair is swallowed by the hole, the remaining particle remains as created matter. Any star continuously destroys matter to create energy.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Greta wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 3:56 am
Atla wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 1:12 am
Yeah it's never a safe bet, no matter how much we know, something entirely different may be going on behind the scenes that's beyond our ability to detect.

Having said that, questions like what "IS" energy/motion/the forces/pretty much anything in physics, are imo rather meaningless because there aro no specific things, all we can do is come up with better and better metaphors to describe the phenomena. And I see no reason to assume that they came to be, instead of the default assumption that they always existed.

I guess energy is a difficult topic, but like everything else in this universe, I see energy as a necessary feature of our universe that enables us to be here. I kinda suspect that some forms of energy, especially gravity and kinetic/potential energy, aren't fundamental, maybe none of the four yet discovered forces are fundamental, they are merely how our universe is arranged, but I may be very wrong here.
Sorry, I phrased poorly above re: time. I'm thinking that time is a major x factor, that appears to be least understood of all natural phenomena.

According to the theorists, dark energy would seem most likely to be fundamental and, coincidentally, it's suspected to be behind the arrow of time. I am very taken by the oddness of reality, which is why I can't help hedging. I keep wondering what oddities are yet to be found/noticed.
I think it's very likely that time is by far best addressed by the Anthropic principle (just like pretty much everything else about the pecularities of our universe).

We are human, so the universe we are looking at must be compatible with human life. Things MUST flow from one direction towards another, from apparently simpler states towards apparently more complex states, otherwise for example evolution couldn't have happened, we couldn't be alive, we couldn't form memories etc.

I see this whole argument as sort of a tautology. We MUST live in a matter-dominated region of the universe where there is an arrow of time, where entropy/information/complexity/whatever is increasing in one direction. Beyond that, I think the natural assumption is that somewhere beyond the observable universe, or in parallel realms of our universe, such things are reversed and for example entropy is constant for the entire unvierse, but such things may never be provable.

As for dark energy being behind time - nah.. but it's of course part of the equation.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Jan Sand wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:18 am Virtual particles appear and disappear continuously and when a virtual pair appears near a black hole and when one of the pair is swallowed by the hole, the remaining particle remains as created matter. Any star continuously destroys matter to create energy.
Virtual pairs don't appear out of nothing, they appear out of some underlying fabric that we don't have direct access to.
Matter and energy are equivalent, and energy is also "material" when wby matter we mean materialism.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Nothing is a strange concept since space itself, as Einstein indicated, has shape and can direct motion as orbiting bodies clearly indicate,
Atla

Post by Atla »

Binyamin7 wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:07 am
Atla wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:01 am
Except at some point is was all created according to the sciences of Origins. We can prove it when we see the Galaxies all drifting away from each other simultaneously.
Yes if we assume that time had a beginning.
No if we assume that time is a circular, a closed loop, without beginning or end. It's just that, at one point on that loop, all the galaxies of the observable part of the universe are concentrated into a singularity.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

As an artist and a designer I think all sorts of things not using language. Language is only one system of thinking but I think in all sorts of different patterns not using language. Our sense systems operate outside of language and our dreams are formulations of possibilities outside of language. Anybody who cooks does not need the names of flavors or spices to think in terms of how to work to achieve results beyond linguistics. Language is one basis for thinking but math may be thought of as a language but it is far more than that - it is a discipline of patterns and it is patterns with which we think.
Binyamin7
New Trial Member

Post by Binyamin7 »

Atla wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 5:35 am
Binyamin7 wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:07 am

No if we assume that time is a circular, a closed loop, without beginning or end. It's just that, at one point on that loop, all the galaxies of the observable part of the universe are concentrated into a singularity.
That is inconsistant with our understanding of the universe a la General Relativity, so there is that problem with your assertion. The space time continuum seems to imply special creation because we have time and matter needing to both start at some point simultaneously.

However If we allow time to be an eternal entity we still have not accounted for matter and vise versa. Did the watch build itself? Can anything we observe build itself? So then, logically, time cannot bould itself. We can observe time well enough to know that doesn't appear to be an ability it has. It cannot create itself or matter. Same with matter, a great mystery since it cannot be created or destroyed, only altered. To the best of our understanding matter cannot create itself. So then we are left to conclude that the original cause of these things has to be something outside of them that we have not physically studied in a lab yet.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Binyamin7 wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:53 pm
Atla wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 5:35 am
That is inconsistant with our understanding of the universe a la General Relativity, so there is that problem with your assertion. The space time continuum seems to imply special creation because we have time and matter needing to both start at some point simultaneously.

However If we allow time to be an eternal entity we still have not accounted for matter and vise versa. Did the watch build itself? Can anything we observe build itself? So then, logically, time cannot bould itself. We can observe time well enough to know that doesn't appear to be an ability it has. It cannot create itself or matter. Same with matter, a great mystery since it cannot be created or destroyed, only altered. To the best of our understanding matter cannot create itself. So then we are left to conclude that the original cause of these things has to be something outside of them that we have not physically studied in a lab yet.
No, it's not inconsistent with anything. There is no reason to believe that anything had a beginning.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Binyamin7 wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:07 amExcept at some point is was all created according to the sciences of Origins. We can prove it when we see the Galaxies all drifting away from each other simultaneously.
Atla wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 5:35 amYes if we assume that time had a beginning.

Binyamin7 wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:53 pmThat is inconsistant with our understanding of the universe a la General Relativity, so there is that problem with your assertion. The space time continuum seems to imply special creation because we have time and matter needing to both start at some point simultaneously.

We don't really understand time, though, do we? Relativity tells us that future and the past are the same, already part of an existing fabric of reality. Meanwhile retroactivity has been observed at quantum scales. We figure that there was no time before the BB introduced radioactive decay, rotations and orbits.

Imagine if, after the BB, amorphous energy just pulled apart in the expanding space and dissipated without ever forming particles - no decay, rotation or orbits, just stuff flying randomly about. Would we say such a universe was timeless or that it had a different kind of time?
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

"Flying about" implies motion and without time there is no motion.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream