Does determinism really pose a problem for free will?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Belindi

Re: Does determinism really pose a problem for free will?

Post by Belindi »

Halc wrote:
For the FW thing to be the case, one must be able to demonstrate agency over seeming random events: I can consistently will the cat to be dead or alive before I measure it, or some such act.
Otherwise, the will is subject to dice rolling instead of deterministic physics, which sounds just as not-free. You sort of recognize this problem in your last post on the first page.
(my underline)

The so-called Free Will is uncaused, and if it existed a so-called Free Will event would be a truly random event that's to say a different sort of 'random' from dice- rolling which although unpredictable is caused.

Determinism on the other hand does allow for degrees of freedom (NB freedom is not a synonym for so-called Free Will). The degrees of freedom which Determinism yields depend upon inductive reasoning and accumulation of knowledge.Or to put the matter crudely, a wise man is more free than a fool.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I’m confused as to why these threads last this long at all.

We have a concept for “limit” so free will exists within those bounds. Determinism is a system of understanding based on “limit”. We know stuff because we apply limits to them because we have a concept of “limit”. Limits “exist” and are “real” therefore free will exists because determinism is present and useful.

Beyond this most arguments are merely exercises in tail chasing.

Those who insist that all cognitive recognition is “delusional” do so by eradicating any differentiation across the spectrum of “real,” “imagined,” “illusion” and “delusion.”

Certain types of “determinism” negate the issue of “free will” and others set ip the question of the limits of “free will” - as in choice - within possibly preset bounds. Not being unknowing omnipotent beings we generally find such stretches of our cognition both scary, intriguing and amazing.
AKA badgerjelly
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

Whether an electron spins right or spins left is of an unknown significance. What is true is the laws of physics that allows the combinations of energies. In humans the word “free” might have an amplitude of meaning and feeling. However, in the individual it has an energy signature that might be determine by the laws of physics and that might vary (or not) with time. If “I” recall the word free, I direct an energy to reconfigure free and its meaning. “I” spin the energy to a call to a signature much like my hand mixing vegies. The bottom line: It is Time steering the Forms. Obviously, the laws of Physics stand in the way of what already exist versus what my mind creates. As above so is below.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Just as a matter of curiosity, how can you know whether you are observing an electron whether you are looking at the top or the bottom of an electron? Maybe they all spin the same way but sometimes you are are observing one end or the other,
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

The nature of an electron is energy. Is it matter? So, all the spin directions at once(up, down, left, right, obliques) could be achieved. This instance of reality is called the CAT state. It is of course against the laws of Physics and it can only be achieved for a few seconds as of a while back. And, as for the significance? IMO: Anything is possible as in the case of dreaming.
JosephM

Post by JosephM »

" Why in the world would one want to base their actions on initiated causal chains. That sounds like a fast track to being unfit and meeting a quick death. Suppose I wanted to exercise free will in when to cross the street. I'd still like to base my decision on detection of gaps in the traffic rather than starting a new causal chain and crossing at a random moment. I can think of no decision that would benefit from such methods. "

Folks probably would like this independence to be feasible ,so as to endorse a concept of a self seperate from causal chains ,so that they see themselves as having merit, freedom ,or please God.

Often, the tendency is to disrespect that which does not show sentience or cannot initiate any action. People would rather have the respect for themselves that inorganic ,or simple life forms ,do not get.

Finally it is felt that personal power is desirable. The having of this power , is dubious in deterministic situations. It affects ,what people choose to do, whether they can accept ownership for merit , or adopt a bummed-out fatalistic position, but conversely , the consideration -that the world, or one's life- is not ones 'fault' may be a great relief.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

The concept of free will was a theocratic excuse for Cod who is assumed to be perfect and therefor, in His creation of the universe had to have full knowledge of all consequences of His actions. Under those assumptions ir was difficult to explain the immense presence of evil and stupidity exhibited by much of humanity. So free will was invented to permit humans to be stupid and evil, something that God could not be. In these current days when a large number of quite bright people dismiss the necessity of God's existence, the peculiar concept of free will persists to interfere with the obvious cause and effect that controls all observed action in the universe and somehow humanity is presumed to be independent of this universal discipline.
Halc

Post by Halc »

JosephM wrote: February 8th, 2019, 6:29 pm Folks probably would like this independence to be feasible ,so as to endorse a concept of a self seperate from causal chains ,so that they see themselves as having merit, freedom ,or please God.
Indeed, I imagine such things are a large part of the motivation behind this topic.
Often, the tendency is to disrespect that which does not show sentience or cannot initiate any action. People would rather have the respect for themselves that inorganic ,or simple life forms ,do not get.
I hold nothing in higher or lesser respect because of its ability (or lack of it) to initiate cause, and I suspect neither would any god. But of course, that's just me.
While I initiate cause all the time, I do not do so by act of will and I feel no responsibility for it.
Finally it is felt that personal power is desirable. The having of this power , is dubious in deterministic situations. It affects ,what people choose to do, whether they can accept ownership for merit , or adopt a bummed-out fatalistic position, but conversely , the consideration -that the world, or one's life- is not ones 'fault' may be a great relief.
I have that sort of power though. All kinds of future events unfold due to the decisions I make. The will need not be 'free' for that to be the case. Nothing would have evolved any brains at all if said brains did not give one the power to make responsible choices.
Halc

Post by Halc »

Belindi wrote: February 8th, 2019, 6:48 am The so-called Free Will is uncaused, and if it existed a so-called Free Will event would be a truly random event that's to say a different sort of 'random' from dice- rolling which although unpredictable is caused.
I think you misunderstand me. The dice of which I speak are theoretically truly random, uncaused. I'm not talking about classic cubes with dots on them, whose outcomes are very much caused.
Mathematics allows for perfect uncaused events like a ball rolling off a perfect cone at a random uncaused time. Any specific time is a valid solution to that problem, and hence constitutes an initiation of a causal chain.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Halc wrote:
Mathematics allows for perfect uncaused events like a ball rolling off a perfect cone at a random uncaused time. Any specific time is a valid solution to that problem, and hence constitutes an initiation of a causal chain.
Thank you for clearing this up. I'd not known that maths provides an example of randomness. The maths illustration that you provided puzzles me .I can picture a perfect cone by analogy. Analogies are all that the mind can encompass of mathematics when it's applied to the relative world.

I can't imagine any analogy for a random uncaused time, as what time means to me is always relative time.
JosephM

Post by JosephM »

Halc wrote: February 9th, 2019, 1:41 am I hold nothing in higher or lesser respect because of its ability (or lack of it) to initiate cause, and I suspect neither would any god. But of course, that's just me.
While I initiate cause all the time, I do not do so by act of will and I feel no responsibility for it.
I do not wish to skew your statement but ,..
Did you just say -paraphrased- , that you don't take responsibility for the things you do ? and that godlike perhaps , you do not have differential respect for anything ?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Jan Sand wrote: February 9th, 2019, 12:48 am The concept of free will was a theocratic excuse for Cod who is assumed to be perfect and therefor, in His creation of the universe had to have full knowledge of all consequences of His actions. Under those assumptions ir was difficult to explain the immense presence of evil and stupidity exhibited by much of humanity. So free will was invented to permit humans to be stupid and evil, something that God could not be. In these current days when a large number of quite bright people dismiss the necessity of God's existence, the peculiar concept of free will persists to interfere with the obvious cause and effect that controls all observed action in the universe and somehow humanity is presumed to be independent of this universal discipline.
Actually free will didn't need to be "invented" since it is the casual assumption of everyone's personal experience. Determinism is the concept that had to be invented. Of course neither of the above statements prove or disprove either free will or determinism. You are correct that simplistic religions with gods who stand in judgment do require free will, it's just that folks assumed that anyway, thus why religion was such an easy sell.
"As usual... it depends."
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

The most important scientific discoveries have been made when obvious assumptions are questioned. For instance, it is quite obvious to most people that the Sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Sure questions are good. But the answer to the question does matter.
Unknown means unknown.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

It depends a great deal on what you consider important and how you regard the basis for making decisions. If you really don't care, of course, itdoesn't matter.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream