The chicken comes before the egg.

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Empiricist-Bruno
Favorite Philosopher: Berkeley

The chicken comes before the egg.

Post by Empiricist-Bruno »

Whether the chicken comes before or after the egg is a philosophical question which apparently has never been asked before here on this forum, according to my research. So, let's ask it now.

But if it hasn't been asked by now, we may first want to wonder why. I suspect that the reason is that it has no apparent implications and is therefore a non-issue. But I think it does matter when you think about the issue of abortion: If you kill the egg, you also kill the chicken that comes after the egg. But if you kill the chicken, are the eggs that the chicken would have had also murdered?

If the chicken comes before the egg, then you can kill the chicken without killing the eggs. If the egg comes first, then you can't kill the chicken by killing the egg.

Anti-abortionists feel that we come from eggs and therefore the egg comes first but I am starting to think that the fact that we are made by eggs does not imply that we come from an egg. Who we are may be made by our dreams and thinking and this is where we are really from. And so, I believe the chicken comes first and that it comes down from the land of chalk drawing.

Holding this belief will make you feel that the right of the chicken to have an abortion is more important than the right of the egg to become a chicken because the chicken comes first.

Once more, what do you think? The chicken or the egg comes first, and does this issue has any implication in the abortion debate?
Watch out for the hidden paradoxes around you!
cavacava

Re: The chicken comes before the egg.

Post by cavacava »

Well eggs were around way before chickens existed. A kind of a evolutionary regressive argument.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Bruno -
The chicken or the egg comes first, and does this issue has any implication in the abortion debate?
The question is easy enough to answer in evolutionary terms and secondly, no? What makes you think this has anything to do with any abortion debate? It is like saying the famed idiom of “too cooks spoils the broth” has relevance in deciding the best tasting dish in a culinary contest. It’s irrelevant.

A lot of the actual important debate orbits issues about the legal cutoff point and the question of how far along the pregnancy is. A lot of this debate gets sidetracked unscientific biblical nonsense and ignore basic human morality and the numerous difficult issues involved surrounding how we define “human life” and at what cost we are willing to alter laws to suit religious/social views in regards right or wrong along side positive ans negatives.

Miscarriage and abortion are pretty much the same thing. We don’t (at least sensible people) go around arresting women for “mistreating” their unborn child by eating this or that item or not eating this or that item.

Leave the fringe views to those interested in hollering with their fingers in their ears and once they calm down maybe then they can add more substance to this sensitive legal topic (and it is a LEGAL topic). Laws should be constantly questioned, or at least open to lines of questioning, but that doesn’t mean they should be annulled completely to satisfy the scream and cries of some plainly archaic ideas.

It will be a topic that will hopefully remains one of contention because it’s important to respect human lives. If it was never an issue brought up by anyone I’d be deeply disturbed.
AKA badgerjelly
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: February 10th, 2019, 1:12 pm The chicken or the egg comes first,
As observed there were eggs long before there were chickens. If we were to be more specific and say the chicken egg before the chicken then it depends on what you mean by the chicken egg. Obviously if you mean an egg laid by a chicken the answer is obvious; if however you mean an egg with a chicken in it then the answer is the egg because the first chicken was a mutation laid by a species that was not quite a chicken.
Empiricist-Bruno wrote: February 10th, 2019, 1:12 pmand does this issue has any implication in the abortion debate?
I don't see why it should, the mother clearly comes before the fertilised egg, but the analogy is very poor even at this stage.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Philosophically and conceptually, eggs must come first.
Once you see a chicken, you can name, define, describe, quantify and evaluate it.
As long as the egg is intact, you can't know what's in it: a live chicken, a dead platypus or a potential dinosaur.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Surely everyone knows this is about whether a chicken egg comes before a chicken? Not does any egg come before a chicken, otherwise it's a stupid question.
Also this question is unanswerable. Which is the point. It depends how you define the word chicken and chicken egg. Which is arbitrary. It demonstrates the difficulty of lines of demarcation which humans are so happy to deal with.
Interestingly it does have something to say about abortion, although that seems to have been randomly stumbled upon.
Namely when does life begin. We see a baby and all agree that is life. We see individual sperm and mostly agree this is not a life. When does one become the other exactly? Not easy to answer.
Unknown means unknown.
Alias

Post by Alias »

A sperm is a life, just as an egg is a life, just as a bacterium is a life, just as a man is a life. It begins at whatever moment is arbitrarily designated as birth and ends at the very specific moment of death. Birth is arbitrarily designated, because everything that's alive is part of the continuum of all life on Earth since the primordial soup. Each individual organism is a mere offshoot of the fungus-web of life. When it dies, it's cut off.
There is no first for us to identify: we're all aspects of indeterminate duration. There will probably not be a last one to die, either, but a mass extinction.
So, if you want to assign seniority to a rooster's sperm, or a hen's egg, or one of the fowl, you can do so arbitrarily.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

If you are a creationist, the chicken came first.
If you believe in Darwinian theory, then the specific egg of a specific bird came first, since it would have been the product of mutation or changes via natural selection in other ways. IOW the genes of that egg differed from the parents.
And if you are looking at eggs in general, when they came before chickens, as has been pointed out.
Wherever we draw the line since the inception of eggs and say, that bird is a chicken, well, that bird came from an egg that fit it, and the bird is not quite like its parents in some way that makes us say, here is the first chicken.
But that line may be rather arbritrary.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

If you believe in Darwinian theory, then the specific egg of a specific bird came first, since it would have been the product of mutation or changes via natural selection in other ways. IOW the genes of that egg differed from the parents.
Deciding on what is not a chicken and what is a chicken between parent and child seems like a non trivial thing to me. Unless you know of a way?
Unknown means unknown.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Deciding on what is not a chicken and what is a chicken between parent and child seems like a non trivial thing to me. Unless you know of a way?
Unless there is cladogenesis rather than phyletic gradualism then it's a pretty arbritrary point, so I think I agree. But what I mean is that the egg is genetically the same as the chick it hatches. It is not the same as the hen who laid it. Mutations take place in the gametes of the parents - at least back when I learned most of my biology that was what they thought - so the egg and the chick it hatches are a unit, the change coming between the parents and the egg. So if you decide that chickens started in year X, day X, then it was with the laying of a particular egg. With chickens, even if punctuated equilibria is the case, I think we are dealing with a gradual change, no clear delineation between the pre-chicken bird and what we call a chicken, cause we were breeding them. This is all a bit above my pay grade, so you can ask someone who took evolutionary bio more recently, but it was a good exercise for my mind pulling it back out of the past.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Unless there is cladogenesis rather than phyletic gradualism then it's a pretty arbritrary point, so I think I agree. But what I mean is that the egg is genetically the same as the chick it hatches. It is not the same as the hen who laid it. Mutations take place in the gametes of the parents - at least back when I learned most of my biology that was what they thought - so the egg and the chick it hatches are a unit, the change coming between the parents and the egg. So if you decide that chickens started in year X, day X, then it was with the laying of a particular egg. With chickens, even if punctuated equilibria is the case, I think we are dealing with a gradual change, no clear delineation between the pre-chicken bird and what we call a chicken, cause we were breeding them. This is all a bit above my pay grade, so you can ask someone who took evolutionary bio more recently, but it was a good exercise for my mind pulling it back out of the past.
Cool so we can agree that the exact point a non chicken became a chicken is basically impossible to pinpoint, so the question of which came first 'the chicken or the egg' is also impossible to answer. Fortunately the answer doesn't actually matter.
I would make another point though because you go on to talk about word definitions. This is also non trivial to resolve. You have decided that a chicken must come from a chicken egg but you could just as easily decide that only a chicken can have a chicken egg. I see no reason particular reason to favour one definition over the other?
Unknown means unknown.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Of course the question, as a question is unanswerable! It's a snake eating its tail, a single hand clapping in the forest with nobody to hear the sound it doesn't make. But you can elaborate it. That's why I likened it to Schrodinger's box.
It is not at all a given that an egg found in verbal juxtaposition to a chicken has any connection to that chicken.
All you have as givens are "The chicken" and "The egg" - no specific or temporal relationship can be presumed.
However, a chicken has been defined to the satisfaction of all who eat it - is finite, mundane; done.
An egg represents unknown possibilities - infinite potential - even a big bang.

(So, a woman is already defined, classified and assigned some value in her society. Her fertilized egg is not. Aborting it may prevent a small localized tragedy, the Second Coming, a small localized benefit, or global catastrophe. Since you cannot know which, your decision regarding the foetus has the exact same chance of being ultimately good or bad. The result of your decision regarding the woman is immediately measurable.)
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

It is interesting how we come to different conclusions Alias. As I understand it the original question is concerning the apparent paradox of how can you have a bird without an egg and how can you have an egg without a bird. Of course evolution answers this rather neatly thus rendering the original intent of the question irrelevant as there is no paradox.
Personally I find the surety of answers interesting. You say of course it is unanswerable but there is no shortage of people who seem to believe they do have an answer.
Unknown means unknown.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Isn't that the point of unanswerable questions? To inspire a variety of unverifiable answers - a discussion of ideas.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Is it?
Unknown means unknown.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream