The chicken comes before the egg.

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Re: The chicken comes before the egg.

Post by Alias »

Who knows?
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

The egg came first. We know this. Of course if you’re a creationist may choose to ignore evolutionary biology.
AKA badgerjelly
Arjen
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel Kant

Post by Arjen »

Burning ghost wrote: February 16th, 2019, 2:36 am The egg came first. We know this. Of course if you’re a creationist may choose to ignore evolutionary biology.
Yeah, it is a nice game to play. Because what lay the egg?

I think a clue to the answer is in Lacan's idea of a 'system'. A 'system' is a closed whole of a thought. This means that for example (like Kant said) calculus can't have evolved numbers first and then we decided to add them together. It must have been a sudden complete thought: if I attribute value, then I can use operators on the values.
Immanuel Kant wrote: Phase one, man objectifies in two cardinal numbers two collections he has counted; phase two, with these numbers he realizes the act of adding them up.
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: February 10th, 2019, 1:12 pm Whether the chicken comes before or after the egg is a philosophical question which apparently has never been asked before here on this forum, according to my research. So, let's ask it now.

But if it hasn't been asked by now, we may first want to wonder why. I suspect that the reason is that it has no apparent implications and is therefore a non-issue. But I think it does matter when you think about the issue of abortion: If you kill the egg, you also kill the chicken that comes after the egg. But if you kill the chicken, are the eggs that the chicken would have had also murdered?

If the chicken comes before the egg, then you can kill the chicken without killing the eggs. If the egg comes first, then you can't kill the chicken by killing the egg.

Anti-abortionists feel that we come from eggs and therefore the egg comes first but I am starting to think that the fact that we are made by eggs does not imply that we come from an egg. Who we are may be made by our dreams and thinking and this is where we are really from. And so, I believe the chicken comes first and that it comes down from the land of chalk drawing.

Holding this belief will make you feel that the right of the chicken to have an abortion is more important than the right of the egg to become a chicken because the chicken comes first.

Once more, what do you think? The chicken or the egg comes first, and does this issue has any implication in the abortion debate?
Chicken or egg dilemmas are just a variation of the First Cause issue.

First Cause is of course much more sophisticated.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Arjen wrote: February 16th, 2019, 7:44 am
Burning ghost wrote: February 16th, 2019, 2:36 am The egg came first. We know this. Of course if you’re a creationist may choose to ignore evolutionary biology.

I think a clue to the answer is in Lacan's idea of a 'system'. A 'system' is a closed whole of a thought. This means that for example (like Kant said) calculus can't have evolved numbers first and then we decided to add them together. It must have been a sudden complete thought: if I attribute value, then I can use operators on the values.
Immanuel Kant wrote: Phase one, man objectifies in two cardinal numbers two collections he has counted; phase two, with these numbers he realizes the act of adding them up.
Huh? Not chicken ... hence the first chicken is a product of it’s parents (which weren’t chickens or it wouldn’t have been the first chicken). It’s not a complex question if you understand evolutionary biology. The question may as well be “What came first, you or your mother?”
AKA badgerjelly
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Burning ghost wrote: February 16th, 2019, 9:05 am

Huh? Not chicken ... hence the first chicken is a product of it’s parents (which weren’t chickens or it wouldn’t have been the first chicken). It’s not a complex question if you understand evolutionary biology. The question may as well be “What came first, you or your mother?”
"The first chicken" is, if you go back far enough into its pedigree, the common ancestor of all living things: a single cellular organism. Whether this microbe was mobile or nonmobile we cannot agree in science. How they originated we still do not know nor have any idea.

You cannot logically or intelligently pick a chicken and start your monologue there. It is not scientific nor logical.

It is illogical.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

I didn't even know forum pages came with instant replay.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Burning ghost wrote: February 16th, 2019, 9:05 am

I understand your point of view, but the chicken and the egg question is a species question if your answer is the egg. Then some proto chicken lay the first chicken egg. It being another species, the proto chicken does not qualify as a chicken, therefore the egg came first. However, in the first egg, there is the first chicken. The whole new species emerges as a whole. Not as one or the other, if you ask me.
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Arjen -

Try convincing evolutinoary biologists then. It’s all about the zygote.
AKA badgerjelly
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Burning ghost wrote: February 17th, 2019, 1:01 am Arjen -

Try convincing evolutinoary biologists then. It’s all about the zygote.
As said:
I understand the point of view.
However, the new species emerges as a complete new species.
This is where I question evolutionary biology.
Animals sometimes grow complete new limbs or organs in 2 or 3 generations.
How is that possible, when evolutionary biology suggests this is a process of many generations, possibly thousands?

Evolution is definitely involved, but somehow, the 'designs' of the new species are appearing ready made.
Which is why it reminds me of Lacan's systems. It emerges as a whole.

You can't invent mathematics without coming up with both numbers AND operators (+,-,x,:, etc).
It appears as a complete system, or not at all.

So, how does this happen in nature?
I am not sure.
I have considered that if there is a situation that requires different capabilities for a species, the species investigates and 'learns' what needs to be done. Then, their will goes to achieving this. Then, finally, the species comes up with a way to do it. If it can't physically do it, it somehow evolves into something that can. I came up with this while reading Lacan, right after reading Schopenhauer. In my opinion it is an argument in favor of Schopenhauer's world as 'will'. I can imagine that you might disagree with me.. It is hard to find proof of this, but I have found it from time to time. And I have never been able to falsify it. So, this is my idea. I haven't been able to change my perspective. This seems the best match I have ever heard of or thought of. :)
~Immanuel Kant
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Arjen -
How is that possible, when evolutionary biology suggests this is a process of many generations, possibly thousands?
Because many small intermedetary steps culminate in one dramatic shift. Think of it as being catalytic.
AKA badgerjelly
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Maybe I didn’t phrase that well ... let me put it like this > SOME changes are very, very small, and most changes in the genome do nothing, but the genome still changes. Then SOME changes trigger the previously latent items that previously did “nothing” are switched on - multiple genes even. This means that there is a complex combination of changes that whilst minute individually they can, and are, often turned on for the first time in combinations that dramatically shift the morphology of the creature.

This did puzzle people for sometime, but once we came to understand better how DNA functions then we finally understood how this seemingly instanteous shift happens - that happens as a result of culminative minute changes that just so happen to be “turned on” at the same time giving the appearance of one huge leap. The “junk DNA” isn’t literally “junk”.
AKA badgerjelly
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

It never ceases to amaze me what people will believe.
Unknown means unknown.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Burning ghost wrote: February 17th, 2019, 4:36 am Arjen -
Because many small intermedetary steps culminate in one dramatic shift. Think of it as being catalytic.
But that is proven by observation to be untrue. It is literally 2 or 3 generations that the whole species changed. The change occurs in 1 generation, but the whole group/species is transformed in 2 or 3. It is not little steps.
~Immanuel Kant
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Burning ghost wrote: February 17th, 2019, 5:12 am The “junk DNA” isn’t literally “junk”.
This part is true.
This did puzzle people for sometime, but once we came to understand better how DNA functions then we finally understood how this seemingly instanteous shift happens - that happens as a result of culminative minute changes that just so happen to be “turned on” at the same time giving the appearance of one huge leap.
This is proven to be untrue by observation.
~Immanuel Kant

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream