Everything I Believe May Be Wrong

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Lone Wolf
Favorite Philosopher: Pooh

Everything I Believe May Be Wrong

Post by Lone Wolf »

It has been my fortune to learn that people cannot begin to understand who they are or why they are here until they allow for the possibility that everything they believe may be wrong. This is not a widely held viewpoint, but the idea certainly did not originate with me. One of the reasons I came to this conclusion is that I read other people’s opinions about the subject and discovered that I have no certainty of anything except that I am. What I am, who I am, where I am, when I am, and why I am, are beyond my ability to comprehend. Reaching this level of comprehension has taken a lifetime. On the fourth Wednesday of this month the earth will complete its seventy-ninth orbit of the sun since I came screaming into this lifetime. I do not know how many more traverses of its orbital path the earth will make before I pass silently into another realm. At least I assume there will be another realm. I really don’t like the idea that this physical existence may be all there is to life, so I readily buy into the concept that there is life beyond death’s door. This belief may also be wrong.

The reason I say that people cannot begin to understand who they are or why they are here until they allow for the possibility that everything they believe may be wrong is that what they believe hasn’t given them the answers for these questions.

Understanding that I am ignorant makes me want to know the things I don’t have the ability to comprehend, so I try to understand why there are other people who seem to have grasped the meaning of life. However, it is also my understanding that Jesus is the only being in the last two millennia who understood the who, what, where, when, and why of existence and by so doing, he was able to elevate his physical body to the next realm. There is nothing in existence which I can use as a reference to prove that Jesus actually achieved that understanding. There is such a body of written information on his ascension that I am willing to accept there must be some truth in the story. Whose truth is it? My truth? No. It is certainly not true to the Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and religions other than the Christians. However, the Christians have deified Jesus and, rather than learn what he was teaching, they say that he was the “Son of God” and simply worship him.

So why do I think it might be true? Because I have a need for it to be true. I need to believe that if I can comprehend what Jesus learned, then I too can ascend. As a result of this need, I have read all the purported sayings of Jesus in the Gospel of Thomas. There are 114 of these sayings in that gospel. I am reasonably sure that I understand at least five of them.
CLS1990
New Trial Member

Re: Everything I Believe May Be Wrong

Post by CLS1990 »

I am at the point in which you mention, I am whole heartedly uncertain, and I feel no closer to knowing who I am or why I am here and maybe this will continue forever. I don't believe uncertainty will give you answers, it's given me the inclination that I shall never know. Belief in something becomes a means to comfort, but I hope I'm wrong. What I know is that I have lived and that one day I shall die, everything in between is guesswork.
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

Belief in something is a security blanket. Through an emotional experience in 1984 I became aware of something beyond my ability to comprehend that loves me. That experience so filled me with love and peace that people around me were asking me why I was so happy, but I couldn't tell them. It was pure emotion and there were no words. That is my current security blanket and it allows me to throw off a lot of the beliefs of my earlier life. I would like to meet someone who had a similar experience just to see if I'm not dreaming the experience.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Your “understanding” is a belief in something you say you’re ignorant of. Start over.

Whe it comes to death Scorate put it succinctly enough. It is like an unopened box. There may be something within or there may be nothing. Worrying about it, or pretending to know what lies within, is a futile endeavor.

Comfortable truths are usually just selfmade lies that cover up a hard long road to some broader perspective. We can only spread ourselves so thin so I guess wenjust have to accept some comfortable truths in some areas. One thing for sure, we all have our own “Jesus” in some manner or form. -ursuit of meaning is better than dismissing meaning completely imo.
AKA badgerjelly
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

Burning ghost said, "Your “understanding” is a belief in something you say you’re ignorant of. Start over.'

After thirty four years of searching for knowledge of myself, I am not inclined to start over. As far as death is concerned, I am not concerned since we all go through that door at the end of physical existence. My inclination is to believe that there is something called an afterlife, but it doesn't worry me because everything I believe may be wrong.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Lone Wolf wrote: February 28th, 2019, 11:42 pm Belief in something is a security blanket. Through an emotional experience in 1984 I became aware of something beyond my ability to comprehend that loves me. That experience so filled me with love and peace that people around me were asking me why I was so happy, but I couldn't tell them. It was pure emotion and there were no words. That is my current security blanket and it allows me to throw off a lot of the beliefs of my earlier life. I would like to meet someone who had a similar experience just to see if I'm not dreaming the experience.
In 1984 or from reading 1984? ;)
AKA badgerjelly
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

Actually I read 1984 in the 1960's and coincidentally my student ID number in college was 019840. However the event in 1984 occurred long after I read the book and I couldn't find any correlation. Good question.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

For what it’s worth I’ve had an experience akin to yours. I didn’t have a feeling of “something” though, just some, mostly incomprehensible, “thing”. It certainly made me view “fear” and “happiness” differently.
AKA badgerjelly
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

My dad had a near death experience and we compared our feelings. As near as we could tell the feeling of absolute love and peace was the same. I have read a number of books on near death experiences and it seems that the feeling is very common for those people. Most of the things I feared have been reduced significantly as a concern since the epiphany.
Intellectual_Savnot
Favorite Philosopher: Myself

Post by Intellectual_Savnot »

Well thanks for spending your time with us on our Lone Earth. I grant to you my best wishes for understanding, my blessings for your ascension.
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

Intellectual_Savot said, "Well thanks for spending your time with us on our Lone Earth. I grant to you my best wishes for understanding, my blessings for your ascension."

You may be sincere, but I read sarcasm in your response. FYI I was told in a dream that I will not ascend in this lifetime and I tend to believe the messages I receive from my subconscious. That doesn't keep me from learning all I can about myself in the meantime. I do thank you for the best wishes and blessings.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream