Could everything have existed forever?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Re: Could everything have existed forever?

Post by chewybrian »

Intellectual_Savnot wrote: March 8th, 2019, 2:42 pm I actually have no clue what that meant
I think I followed it. If you 'split' infinity at the current moment, an infinite amount of time would have passed prior to today. Half of infinity is also infinity. So, it 'follows', that all of time passed before today, and everything that was going to happen already happened. By the same reasoning, you would not exist right now, since you would have lived and died in the infinite amount of time in the past. You could just as easily argue that you will never be born, since there is always an infinite amount of time unseen in the future, which includes all events, including you.

I'm not agreeing by any stretch, just offering up that I think I understood what was being said. We simply can't get our heads around infinity, and it doesn't work with real world problems. It seems it must always remain a theoretical concept.

I don't think we can answer the original question, in theory or in fact. Either way, it does not make sense. How does something exist forever without ever having been created, or how is it conjured out of nothing? The only thing that would make any sense is nothing, yet we have something, it seems.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
devans99

Post by devans99 »

chewybrian wrote: March 9th, 2019, 6:39 am I don't think we can answer the original question, in theory or in fact. Either way, it does not make sense. How does something exist forever without ever having been created, or how is it conjured out of nothing? The only thing that would make any sense is nothing, yet we have something, it seems.
The idea with Eternal Inflation theory is that positive energy/matter is created in exchange for negative gravitational energy. So matter is created from nothing yet conservation of energy is respected:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-energy_universe
RJG

Post by RJG »

Devans99 wrote:But some things seem to happen without time. For example, photons are timeless yet get from A to B without the need for time. So I’d question whether P2 is valid?
Firstly, if 'happenings' don't require 'time', then do we really know what 'time' is? If time is not associated with 'change', then what is it? If time is not needed in this universe for change, or for stuff to 'happen', then does it truly exist? ...and if so, then how did this 'time' itself happen (into existence)?

Secondly, even if time does not truly exist (i.e. is just some sort of an illusion), P2 still stands (is still valid). If time is not real, then it wasn't created, and then the syllogism would be:
  • P1. Creation is an action; a happening.
    P2. Actions (happenings) require Matter/Space.
    • Without 'something' happening, 'no-thing' happens --> No Happening
      Without 'somewhere' to happen, there is 'no-where' to happen --> No Happening
    C1. If Matter/Space exist, then it has ALWAYS EXISTED.
There is no way to logically avoid the ALWAYS EXISTING feature of the universe (...including with 'time', assuming it truly exists).
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

devans99 wrote: March 9th, 2019, 7:45 am
chewybrian wrote: March 9th, 2019, 6:39 am I don't think we can answer the original question, in theory or in fact. Either way, it does not make sense. How does something exist forever without ever having been created, or how is it conjured out of nothing? The only thing that would make any sense is nothing, yet we have something, it seems.
The idea with Eternal Inflation theory is that positive energy/matter is created in exchange for negative gravitational energy. So matter is created from nothing yet conservation of energy is respected:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-energy_universe
That only describes a change or alteration. If I refine some ore and rubber and such and build a '73 Camaro, I have not 'conjured' any new materials, but only changed their form. But, there is still no logic to the universe suddenly deciding to change a zero into a plus twenty and a minus twenty. It might still add up to zero, but now you have two things you did not have before, and no explanation of why changes or action are taking place, instead of nothing, which is the only occurrence (non-occurrence) that would make any sense without God or ???.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
devans99

Post by devans99 »

RJG wrote: March 9th, 2019, 9:43 am
Devans99 wrote:But some things seem to happen without time. For example, photons are timeless yet get from A to B without the need for time. So I’d question whether P2 is valid?
Firstly, if 'happenings' don't require 'time', then do we really know what 'time' is? If time is not associated with 'change', then what is it? If time is not needed in this universe for change, or for stuff to 'happen', then does it truly exist? ...and if so, then how did this 'time' itself happen (into existence)?
Time is at a minimum a degree of freedom. So change can take place in time, but that does not rule out change independently of time. If we think in terms of spacetime then ‘happenings’ require spacetime which has a space and time component. The time component could be zero and something could still happen (photons move purely though space and not through time).
RJG wrote: March 9th, 2019, 9:43 am Secondly, even if time does not truly exist (i.e. is just some sort of an illusion), P2 still stands (is still valid). If time is not real, then it wasn't created, and then the syllogism would be:
  • P1. Creation is an action; a happening.
    P2. Actions (happenings) require Matter/Space.
    • Without 'something' happening, 'no-thing' happens --> No Happening
      Without 'somewhere' to happen, there is 'no-where' to happen --> No Happening
    C1. If Matter/Space exist, then it has ALWAYS EXISTED.
I’m not sure about using the word ‘always’ in connection with timelessness. If something is timeless then it just IS, there is no tense associated with it.

As mentioned above, it is theorised that energy/matter was created from nothing by exchanging negative gravitational energy for positive regular energy/matter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-energy_universe). So I think that P2 is might still be questioned on the grounds that creation ex-nihilo (in exchange for something else) has some scientific support.

I think modern physics is pointing towards a start of time (see The Big Bang and Borde-Guth-Vilenkin theorem).
RJG wrote: March 9th, 2019, 9:43 am There is no way to logically avoid the ALWAYS EXISTING feature of the universe (...including with 'time', assuming it truly exists).
‘Always existing’ throws up a lot of seemingly unsolvable contradictions (see the OP). It’s maybe better to think of something existing timelessly that created time and the universe. Existence outside time avoids the contradictions and it also avoids an infinite regression (IE because the universe was created by something timeless, that timeless thing is beyond cause and effect and therefore does not need to be created itself).

I acknowledge that 'timelessness' seems unintuitive, but from relativity, time seems to behave in unintuitive ways (slowing in the presence of gravity etc..) so it should not be dismissed out of hand.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Devans99 wrote:As mentioned above, it is theorised that energy/matter was created from nothing by exchanging negative gravitational energy for positive regular energy/matter
Sorry Devan, but this theory is filled with non-sensical-ness (logical contradictions):

1. "Negative gravitational energy" is NOT "nothing". -- If nothing exists, then NOTHING exists! (...including negative gravitational energy!).
2. If 'space' did not yet exist, then WHERE did this supposed "exchange" happen? ...no where?
3. If 'time' did not yet exist, then there could be NO "exchange". There could be NO 'before and after' condition. There could be no (timeless) 'point' which separates an existence of ''nothing-ness', from an existence of 'something-ness'. There could be no left side (before) or right side (after) of this "exchange" point.

Devans99 wrote:Always existing’ throws up a lot of seemingly unsolvable contradictions (see the OP).
Not so. There are NO 'logical' contradictions with "always existing" (i.e. having no beginning). The only contradiction lies within our flawed 'indoctrinations'.

Again, there is no way to logically avoid it. If the universe (matter/space/time) exists, then it has ALWAYS EXISTED; it had no beginning. This is the ONLY LOGICALLY SOUND explanation. All other explanations/theories logically contradict themselves. Devan, if you see a flaw in my logic, then please point it out. I don't mind being proven wrong, but it has to be rationally (logically) founded.

The universe was 'not' created. ...no (logical) bout a doubt it!
Consul

Post by Consul »

RJG wrote: March 9th, 2019, 11:47 amThere are NO 'logical' contradictions with "always existing" (i.e. having no beginning).
Having always existed is not the same as having no beginning! For if even spacetime has a temporal boundary in the past, it has always existed in the sense that there is no time in the past when it didn't exist.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
devans99

Post by devans99 »

RJG wrote: March 9th, 2019, 11:47 am
Devans99 wrote:As mentioned above, it is theorised that energy/matter was created from nothing by exchanging negative gravitational energy for positive regular energy/matter
Sorry Devan, but this theory is filled with non-sensical-ness (logical contradictions):

1. "Negative gravitational energy" is NOT "nothing". -- If nothing exists, then NOTHING exists! (...including negative gravitational energy!).
2. If 'space' did not yet exist, then WHERE did this supposed "exchange" happen? ...no where?
3. If 'time' did not yet exist, then there could be NO "exchange". There could be NO 'before and after' condition. There could not be a 'point' which separates an existence of ''nothing-ness', from an existence of 'something-ness'. There could be no left side (before) or right side (after) of this "exchange" point.
Nothing is not really nothing in modern physics. Transitory quantum fluctuations in the void (which are well established experimentally) may have caused some sort of chain reaction that led to the creation of matter from negative gravitational energy. So creation of all matter in the universe from nothing is possible. This cosmology's current leading theory for the formation of the universe (Eternal Inflation). As I argue in the OP though, the natural creation of matter in this way precludes infinite time (because we'd reach infinite matter density).

As far as an initial creation event (creation of matter and time) then some sort of space (not necessary our space) seems like a prerequisite... but this space could exist timelessly (and thus does not need to be created).

We know from the Big Bang theory that as we go back in time towards the Bang, time runs slower and slower until the point of the initial singularity (where time may not have been running at all), yet the Bang still Banged. So it seems that things can still happen without time (plus the photon example I mentioned).
RJG wrote: March 9th, 2019, 11:47 am
Devans99 wrote:Always existing’ throws up a lot of seemingly unsolvable contradictions (see the OP).
Not so. There are NO 'logical' contradictions with "always existing" (i.e. having no beginning). The only contradiction lies within our 'indoctrinations'.
What about all the logical contradictions I listed in the OP?
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:There are NO 'logical' contradictions with "always existing" (i.e. having no beginning).
Consul wrote:Having always existed is not the same as having no beginning! For if even spacetime has a temporal boundary in the past, it has always existed in the sense that there is no time in the past when it didn't exist.
Yes I don't disagree, BUT the purpose of my "( )" was to better clarify the meaning and context of my phrase "always existing". My equating it with "having no beginning", means that it was "NOT created", which is my point and the focus of this discussion.

Devans99 wrote:Nothing is not really nothing in modern physics.
So then are you now admitting that 'something' (not nothing) has "always existed"? ...or are you sticking with the logical contradiction X is not-X (nothing is not-nothing)?

If you agree that 'something' has "always existed", then you are 1/3 of the way to agreeing with me!

Devans99 wrote:Transitory quantum fluctuations in the void (which are well established experimentally) may have caused some sort of chain reaction that led to the creation of matter from negative gravitational energy.
Are "transitory quantum fluctuations" 'something' or nothing? ...and where/what is this "void"? ...does it 'exist', or not-exist? ...is it 'something', or nothing?

Devans99 wrote:As far as an initial creation event (creation of matter and time) then some sort of space (not necessary our space) seems like a prerequisite... but this space could exist timelessly (and thus does not need to be created).
So then why does 'matter' and 'time' NEED to be created? You seemingly accept the notion (possibility) here of an "always existing" (non-created) 'space'? ...but then close your eyes to the same possibility with matter and time. Why?

It seems here that you now agree that 'space' has "always existed" (was not created), and if so then you may be 2/3 of the way to agreeing with me!

Devans99 wrote:We know from the Big Bang theory that as we go back in time towards the Bang, time runs slower and slower until the point of the initial singularity (where time may not have been running at all), yet the Bang still Banged. So it seems that things can still happen without time (plus the photon example I mentioned).
If the Big Bang created the WHAT/WHERE/WHEN (matter/space/time), then:

1. WHERE did the Big Bang bang? ...if it had 'nowhere' to bang, then where did it bang?
2. WHAT banged?, ...if there was 'nothing' to bang, then what banged?
3. WHEN did it bang? ...if it had no 'starting point' (no 'before' the Bang), then when did it bang?

It is totally non-sensical ('logically' impossible) to conclude that the Big Bang (or ANY event/happening for that matter) could 'create' matter/space/time. For the creation of 'anything' requires the pre-existence of matter/space/time.

RJG wrote:There are NO 'logical' contradictions with "always existing" (i.e. having no beginning). The only contradictions lie within our flawed 'indoctrinations'.
Devans99 wrote:What about all the logical contradictions I listed in the OP?
Your use of "infinity" invalides your logic. Infinity cannot be used as a variable or term in math or logic, so as to then be compared or related to anything. It has no fixed 'value'. You might as well be using the word "forever". As the great Karpel Tunnel eloquently once said "If you cut infinity in half, you still get infinity" (...or something to that effect).

Devans99 wrote:1. There is no coming into existence event for the particle; how can the particle exist if it never started existing?
Why not? What logic refutes this? Why MUST the existence of something have a 'start'?

Just because we have been indoctrinated to (falsely) believe that all things MUST have a start, there is absolutely NO LOGIC that refutes this "always existing" (having no starting point).

Logic is brutal on our indoctrinations.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

RJG wrote: March 9th, 2019, 3:23 pm So then are you now admitting that 'something' (not nothing) has "always existed"? ...or are you sticking with the logical contradiction X is not-X (nothing is not-nothing)?

If you agree that 'something' has "always existed", then you are 1/3 of the way to agreeing with me!
I was just pointing out that modern physics contradicts your view that matter must have always existed.

‘Can’t get something from nothing so something must have always existed’ is the logic you are using - but thats not quite right - the ‘always’ part leads to the contradictions listed in the OP.

‘Can’t get something from nothing so something exists permanently’ is a better way to word it. IE Whatever has ‘always’ existed must actually exist timelessly (so ‘always’ is the wrong word, it’s just ‘IS’).
RJG wrote: March 9th, 2019, 3:23 pm It is totally non-sensical ('logically' impossible) to conclude that the Big Bang (or ANY event/happening for that matter) could 'create' matter/space/time. For the creation of 'anything' requires the pre-existence of matter/space/time.
I think that space and matter pre-existed time and the Big Bang. That pre-existing matter exists outside of time so it is incorrect to say it ‘always’ existed… it is timeless. Timeless existence is the only way to avoid an infinite regress.

RJG wrote: March 9th, 2019, 3:23 pm Your use of "infinity" invalides your logic. Infinity cannot be used as a variable or term in math or logic, so as to then be compared or related to anything. It has no fixed 'value'. You might as well be using the word "forever". As Karpel Tunnel eloquently once said "If you cut infinity in half, you still get infinity" (or something to that effect).
I think you are avoiding discussing my arguments because you do not have valid counter arguments.

How are we meant to discuss infinite time if we can’t use infinity in maths or logic? What you are saying is that infinity is too illogical for maths or logic:

- Nature is logical
- Infinity is illogical ("If you cut infinity in half, you still get infinity”)
- So infinity does not feature in nature
- So time is finite

The universe is fundamentally constrained to behave in a mathematical way; maths predates and transcends and governs the universe. You are saying that infinity is not a quantity. I agree. In that case, it cannot be used to stand in for quantities like ‘the age of the universe’ or ‘the size of the universe’. IE you are admitting the universe and time is finite.

Not all of my arguments are using infinity anyway. For example: Innate attributes… like a particle’s mass - when were they established? Always had them you might say. But ‘always’ has no ‘when’ for the attributes to be established - with infinite time particles would have no innate attributes. No mass. They would not be particles.

One more contradiction of infinite time for you avoid discussing (not mine… its the well known measure problem):

Probability of event A: 100%
Probability of event B: 0.0001%
Number of A’s in infinite time: 100% * ∞ = ∞
Number of B’s in infinite time: 0.00001% * ∞ = ∞
Ratio of A’s to B’s: ∞/∞ = 1
Conclusion: A and B are equally likely
IE Infinite time is contradictory
devans99

Post by devans99 »

∞/∞ = 1 is correct IMO because there are not different sizes of infinity. The existence of one infinity precludes the existence of any others.
meaningful_products
New Trial Member

Post by meaningful_products »

Neither. The only time that we know exists is the present. To hold that the universe is "infinite" presupposes that there is in fact a present and future, and to hold that the universe is "not infinite" presupposes the same. The past is only an idea in the present and the future is only a visualization in the present.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

meaningful_products wrote: March 10th, 2019, 12:51 am Neither. The only time that we know exists is the present. To hold that the universe is "infinite" presupposes that there is in fact a present and future, and to hold that the universe is "not infinite" presupposes the same. The past is only an idea in the present and the future is only a visualization in the present.
So you deny that the past happened? And deny that the Big Bang happened? The past does seems to leave indelible marks on the present.

We can prove empirically the past existed… just do something (eg writing your name in the sand) and observe that it was done is sufficient.

Also ‘Now’ changes so what happened to the last ‘now’? It must have existed because we experienced it so why not call it ‘then’?

Presentism denies that the past/future are real but does not deny that the past happened and the future will happen. This is some form of hyper-presentism?
eyesofastranger
Favorite Philosopher: Albert Einstein

Post by eyesofastranger »

Infinity would be a very unpleasant "place" sorry no human word exists for an appropriate description. To me it seems infinity more likely infinitely creates universes. Infinity making an attempt at a thought process. What a foreign concept creation must be for our friend infinity. I'm alright with the dismal possibility of being a mere simulation. It's complexities are so vastly,tremendously, immensely and impossibly beyond my comprehension. The human condition isn't that bad.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Devans99 wrote:I think that space and matter pre-existed time and the Big Bang. That pre-existing matter exists outside of time so it is incorrect to say it ‘always’ existed… it is timeless.
So then do you agree with me that space and matter was "not created", i.e. "has no starting point" (which is what I mean when I say "always existed")?

Devans99 wrote:Timeless existence is the only way to avoid an infinite regress.
"Infinite regress" only proves the impossibility of 'time' being created, or having a start point. -- Logically, there cannot be a start point, or a time before time was created.

X<X is logically impossible.

Devans99 wrote:Not all of my arguments are using infinity anyway. For example: Innate attributes… like a particle’s mass - when were they established? Always had them you might say. But ‘always’ has no ‘when’ for the attributes to be established - with infinite time particles would have no innate attributes. No mass. They would not be particles.
Here is your flaw, shown in red text. It is your indoctrinated belief that stuff MUST have be "established" (that it MUST have a start point). There is no logic that proves that stuff MUST have a starting point. This is only our indoctrinated belief.

If you think there is logic out there that proves this indoctrinated belief as a truth, then please lay it out as a syllogism so we can then examine it for its logical validity and soundness. Thank you.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream