Gun Control Series Q1 -- Does gun ownership make the gunowner safer or less safe?

Discuss the March 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month, Final Notice by Van Fleisher.
Forum rules
Because this forum is host to a potentially controversial special gun control topic series, all posts will be held for moderation to ensure each forum topic stays on-topic and to ensure the Forum Rules are strictly enforced.
RJG

Re: Gun Control Series Q1 -- Does gun ownership make the gunowner safer or less safe?

Post by RJG »

Dai Cymru wrote:...places the gun owner in a great deal more danger, as opposed to more safety.
Is this your personal belief, or do you have stats that show this?

1. Aren't there gun owners out there that are "safer" because they own guns?
2. And aren't there also gun owners out there that are "less safe" because they own guns?
3. So then which group is "greater than" the other? Are more gunowners, "safer" or "less safe" because they own their guns?

To answer the question of "safer" or "less safe" we need to compare group 1 to group 2, but if we only know the value (statistics) of only one of these groups, then we can't logically answer the question. For any such answer would be via bad logic (irrational reasoning).

We need to know the value of both X (group 1) and Y (group 2) before claiming that one is "greater than" or "less than" the other.
Dai Cymru
New Trial Member

Re: Gun Control Series Q1 -- Does gun ownership make the gunowner safer or less safe?

Post by Dai Cymru »

No Sir, I cannot substantiate my remarks, I just fid this to be a very thought provoking subject and wish to learn more.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

RJG wrote: April 4th, 2019, 6:58 am
LuckyR wrote:Dude, you are now into the "broken record" zone. Either look up the stats on the "safer" half of the equation or allow the "less safe" stats that really exist, stand on their own. Your choice.
Apparently you don't read what I write. Again (dare I repeat myself), it is NOT ABOUT THE STATS per se, it is about your BAD LOGIC. The "less safe" stats "standing on their own" says NOTHING tangible, it tells us NOTHING of substance.

Claiming that X is less than Y, when one only knows the value of X, is a non-sensical claim. X by itself tells us nothing of substance. Those that make such a claim, employ BAD LOGIC.

Agreed?
Uummm... no. Your analogy is a bit off. It isn't X is less than Y. (Since in that scenario X and Y would be gun ownership and nonownership).

Rather it is: there are two opposed effects, X and Y. We know X has one effect, Y has another effect which is, for the purposes of this thread, not known. Where X is increased morbidity of gun ownership and Y is decreased morbidity of gun ownership (which, curiously you have spent no energy researching/posting on).

Please, we get what you are proposing (trust me), instead of repeating it, look into the data on increased safety through gun ownership.
"As usual... it depends."
RJG

Post by RJG »

LuckyR wrote:Please, we get what you are proposing (trust me), instead of repeating it, look into the data on increased safety through gun ownership.
Great. And if only you actually read what I wrote then you would have already known that I don't have a horse in this race. I'm not interested in the data or the outcome per se. I'm only interested in 'sound' logic (the 'math' of this data/outcome) and in 'fairness' of this race, which includes pointing out the 'rig' (logical flaws), by the 'riggers' of this race.
Felix

Post by Felix »

RJG: "I'm only interested in 'sound' logic"

That's ironic since your logic has been unsound, i.e., one doesn't conduct a drug toxicity study on those who are not taking the drug or a gun ownership safety study on those who do not own a gun.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:"I'm only interested in 'sound' logic"
Felix wrote:That's ironic since your logic has been unsound, i.e., one doesn't conduct a drug toxicity study on those who are not taking the drug or a gun ownership safety study on those who do not own a gun.
Bingo! But Felix you're killing me man. :P You are absolutely right! Again, "kudos" to you for recognizing this flawed (unsound) logic. ...but now I got to take all those "kudos" back from you for falsely claiming that it was 'my' bad logic. Please re-read my words before accusing of others words.

If you were following along with this discussion, you would know that Scott and others have been pushing this flawed logic of comparing gun ownership to NON-gun ownership, as a 'valid' correlation, whereas I argued the opposite. The purpose of my drug user analogy was to specifically highlight the nonsense of this (flawed) logic. Please re-read my words again here:
RJG wrote:Question -- Does drug usage make the drug user safer or less safe?

P1. Statistics show that there are more drug related deaths (overdose, suicide, crime, etc.) with drug users than with non-drug users.
C1. Therefore, drug users are "less safe" (and NON-drug users are "safer").
C2. Therefore, banning all drug usage/users will make everyone "safer".

Hopefully we all see and recognize the NONSENSE here, as this "throws the baby out with the bath water". For if we ban all drug usage/users, then there will be MORE (not less!) overall deaths, and everyone will be "less safe" (NOT "safer"!). With NO drug usage, there will be no more bad drug usage, AND likewise there will be NO MORE GOOD drug usage (i.e. no more lives saved because of drugs; penicillin, etc, etc). If we wish to make societal changes based on these (non-applicable!) statistics and (unsound!) logic, then we are all DOOMED! ...we therefore need to STOP this type of irrationality (non-sensical-ness) from influencing and dictating our societal changes (imo).

But seriously Felix, I am glad that at least somebody here recognizes the unsoundness of the logic put forth by those statistics comparing gunowners to non gunowners to (invalidly) determine the safety of gun owners. ...so for that, I'll throw you a "kudo". :)
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

RJG wrote: April 5th, 2019, 6:54 am
LuckyR wrote:Please, we get what you are proposing (trust me), instead of repeating it, look into the data on increased safety through gun ownership.
Great. And if only you actually read what I wrote then you would have already known that I don't have a horse in this race. I'm not interested in the data or the outcome per se. I'm only interested in 'sound' logic (the 'math' of this data/outcome) and in 'fairness' of this race, which includes pointing out the 'rig' (logical flaws), by the 'riggers' of this race.
OK, I will take you at your word. Bottom line is: any issue has an infinite number of angles from which they can be evaluated. Some angles are well researched and are very well known and appreciated, others not so much and are of more theoretical interest. Some effects are large and others are small. Everyone knows this and we all feel perfectly comfortable making practical decisions based on incomplete but partially available information.

Thus there is no reason to withhold preliminary judgement for the final fragment of difficult to find information to be found. A statistician can feel confident that with easily available research, gun owners appear to be much less safe than gun non-owners (based almost entirely on increased lethality of suicide vs non-gun methods and the issue of gun accidents). Could some currently unquantified stat be proven in the future that changes that? Certainly. Is that effect likely to fully negate what we know with certainty now? Possible but highly unlikely.

Agreed?
Felix

Post by Felix »

The question posed by Scott is on the safety/dangers of gun ownership....

In his original post, he said: "This is an important question because even if it is agreed between some people that guns should be legal regardless of any alleged danger to the gunowner, the answer to this simple statistical question can be a major factor for people to choose to own guns or not, and the morality of that choice."

It seems the only thing we can agree on is that this is not and cannot be a "simple statistical question."

"But Felix you're killing me man."

Good thing is was only a virtual gun... and you'll be happy to know it is licensed in my name.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
RJG

Post by RJG »

LuckyR wrote:A statistician can feel confident that with easily available research, gun owners appear to be much less safe than gun non-owners (based almost entirely on increased lethality of suicide vs non-gun methods and the issue of gun accidents).
How does a statistician (or anyone) reach this conclusion without using 'flawed' logic?

How does one logically conclude that X is greater than Y, when only knowing X?
How does one logically conclude that apples are more "red" than "green", when only knowing the number of "red" apples?
How does one logically conclude that gun owners are more "less safe" than "safer", when only knowing the number of "less safe" gun owners?

Any conclusion of "less safe" or "safer" in this regard, is pure speculation (has no logical basis).

Felix wrote:It seems the only thing we can agree on is that this is not and cannot be a "simple statistical question."
Don't forget, we also agree that comparing the bad of gun ownership to NON-gun ownership is non-sensical.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

RJG wrote: April 6th, 2019, 7:59 am
LuckyR wrote:A statistician can feel confident that with easily available research, gun owners appear to be much less safe than gun non-owners (based almost entirely on increased lethality of suicide vs non-gun methods and the issue of gun accidents).
How does a statistician (or anyone) reach this conclusion without using 'flawed' logic?

How does one logically conclude that X is greater than Y, when only knowing X?
How does one logically conclude that apples are more "red" than "green", when only knowing the number of "red" apples?
How does one logically conclude that gun owners are more "less safe" than "safer", when only knowing the number of "less safe" gun owners?

Any conclusion of "less safe" or "safer" in this regard, is pure speculation (has no logical basis).
You are misusing "conclude". A final conclusion requires all of the data, a working or preliminary conclusion can and has been made routinely every single day in all of our lives with partial information. If no one could come to a decision until all possible information was available, we'd all be unable to decide on any topic.

A lot of smokescreen, but little practical application.
RJG

Post by RJG »

LuckyR wrote:You are misusing "conclude". A final conclusion requires all of the data, a working or preliminary conclusion can and has been made routinely every single day in all of our lives with partial information. If no one could come to a decision until all possible information was available, we'd all be unable to decide on any topic.
Valid conclusions only require sound logic, ...otherwise, anyone can conclude anything.

Return to “Final Notice by Van Fleisher”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream