A new razor

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Kevin Levites
New Trial Member

A new razor

Post by Kevin Levites »

I was tossing ideas back and forth with some friends of mine during a reunion, and the talk turned to Occam's Razor.

In this process, I came up with a new razor rule, but I've been unsuccessful in finding out if it's been suggested before, and I would like to know if my idea is original, so any input (even negative input) would be appreciated.

So, here is Levites's Razor:

"Never blame an insufficiency of theory on that which can be adequately explained by a sloppy and/or substandard application of said theory."

Is this original? Or wishful thinking on my part?

Thank you in advance for your time in considering my post.
Iseewhatyouresaying
New Trial Member

Re: A new razor

Post by Iseewhatyouresaying »

The idea doesn’t really seem that useful to me. It seems like something that people understand already. Everyone knows it’s unfair to mischaracterize a theory by an example of it being misapplied in some way.

Also, trying to come up with cute catchy names for things is pointless. Terms tend to arise naturally in the first place, it’s usually arrogance that drives someone to come up with their own terms hoping to create something original, something that everyone will begin using. It’s just to feed ego. Unless you have a genuine purpose for doing so, an example being Heidegger’s use of Dasein.

Maybe it’s unfair to say that coming up with terms is only arrogance, after thinking a little, a lot philosophers often create their own complex terminologies in order to communicate complex ideas. Not that they weren’t arrogant, most philosophers are, it’s just that their terminology served a real purpose, sometimes (there was also arrogance involved, in my opinion).

In your case, I don’t see the real need to place that idea under a specific title. The idea isn’t really original, as I said, anyone who argues in good faith knows it’s unfair to mischaracterize a theory by an example of it being misapplied.

Unless I misunderstand you’re meaning in some way, in which case, could you rid me of my ignorance and explain to me the true meaning of your idea?
Kevin Levites
New Trial Member

Post by Kevin Levites »

Thank you for answering, and I don't entirely disagree with your points. I have been known to be arrogant on occasion.

The idea came up after a discussion of Occam's Razor, and after that someone else brought up Hanlon's Razor (Never attribute to malice anything that can be explained by stupidity), and once the gears got turning (we indulged in some "herbal medicine", and reached that stage where "everything I think seems so profound"), I came up with this razor rule about the sloppy application of theory.

I was a paramedic for many years, and during my tenure in EMS there was a constant battle between theorists in safe, comfortable classrooms who wanted things done according to certian principles, and working paramedics (such as myself) who see a difference between theory and how things actually work in the streets.
Kevin Levites
New Trial Member

Post by Kevin Levites »

Part of this issue is that I--when teaching EKG interpretation to nurses, paramedics, and med school students--always included Occam's Razor (in one form or another) in my curriculum.

I didn't require perfect scores on my oral and written tests for students to pass my course, but they had to get the problems with Occam's Razor correct.

If they didn't get Occam's Razor correct, they failed and had to do it over again.

When I was invited to teach in different hospitals, I would tweak any part of my course to satisfy the educators....except for Occam's Razor. That was non-negociable, and they could get another instructor if they weren't happy with this.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Kevin Levites wrote: April 25th, 2019, 11:39 am I was tossing ideas back and forth with some friends of mine during a reunion, and the talk turned to Occam's Razor.

In this process, I came up with a new razor rule, but I've been unsuccessful in finding out if it's been suggested before, and I would like to know if my idea is original, so any input (even negative input) would be appreciated.

So, here is Levites's Razor:

"Never blame an insufficiency of theory on that which can be adequately explained by a sloppy and/or substandard application of said theory."

Is this original? Or wishful thinking on my part?

Thank you in advance for your time in considering my post.
Sorry. But that sounds dumb to me.

Occam's razor says that of all possible explanations, the simplest explanation is probably the most likely to be true.

It is not necessarily true. But it is popular.

Argumentum populorum.
Intellectual_Savnot
Favorite Philosopher: Myself

Post by Intellectual_Savnot »

h_k_s I don't agree that Occam's razor is true whatsoever as you describe it. It seems the most simple explanation would be the most likely to not account for the intricacies of any given situation. Unless we consider of course that a simple answer addresses one thing where a complicated answer addresses many things, usually including that which the simple answer addresses, but runs a higher risk of claiming a fallacy in the large quantities of arguments it would make a claim for... well I have successfully confused myself while typing so never mind and good day.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Kevin Levites wrote: April 25th, 2019, 11:39 am So, here is Levites's Razor:

in this is 'theory' the theory of theories in science that have been around for a while and survived a great deal of reseach type of theory or the more colloquial use of the word 'theory'? IOW it could be seen as not rapidly drawing negative conclusions about ideas that have been working well due to finding a small amount of counterevidence or potential counterevidence.

If this is the case, I think a better version would be that when finding counterevidence or apparant counterevidence, get in there and see if it is counterevidence or poor application or poor testing protocols or whatever.

I make this potential quibble because this is less conservative. Your version it seems to me can lead one to ignore anomolies. And humans have a habit of that. Yes, some humans base all their conclusions on anomolies, but we don't have to choose between problematic opposites.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Kevin Levites wrote: April 28th, 2019, 11:48 am Thank you for answering, and I don't entirely disagree with your points. I have been known to be arrogant on occasion.

The idea came up after a discussion of Occam's Razor, and after that someone else brought up Hanlon's Razor (Never attribute to malice anything that can be explained by stupidity), and once the gears got turning (we indulged in some "herbal medicine", and reached that stage where "everything I think seems so profound"), I came up with this razor rule about the sloppy application of theory.

I was a paramedic for many years, and during my tenure in EMS there was a constant battle between theorists in safe, comfortable classrooms who wanted things done according to certian principles, and working paramedics (such as myself) who see a difference between theory and how things actually work in the streets.
I'm confused, because this almost seems like the opposite of the OP. Here now it seems like the new OR is trying to counter glass tower theorists who refuse to notice evidence coming in from people actually 'experimenting'.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

h_k_s wrote: April 29th, 2019, 10:01 am Occam's razor says that of all possible explanations, the simplest explanation is probably the most likely to be true.
It doesn't say this. That's and ontological claim, whereas the OR is a methological suggestion. If we have two hypotheses that fit the evidence, let's agree on the one that posits less entities. This way we are protected from drawing more conclusions than is necessary (so far).
Kevin Levites
New Trial Member

Post by Kevin Levites »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: May 4th, 2019, 9:27 am
Kevin Levites wrote: April 25th, 2019, 11:39 am So, here is Levites's Razor:

in this is 'theory' the theory of theories in science that have been around for a while and survived a great deal of reseach type of theory or the more colloquial use of the word 'theory'? IOW it could be seen as not rapidly drawing negative conclusions about ideas that have been working well due to finding a small amount of counterevidence or potential counterevidence.

If this is the case, I think a better version would be that when finding counterevidence or apparant counterevidence, get in there and see if it is counterevidence or poor application or poor testing protocols or whatever.

I make this potential quibble because this is less conservative. Your version it seems to me can lead one to ignore anomolies. And humans have a habit of that. Yes, some humans base all their conclusions on anomolies, but we don't have to choose between problematic opposites.
Thank you.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: May 4th, 2019, 9:33 am
h_k_s wrote: April 29th, 2019, 10:01 am Occam's razor says that of all possible explanations, the simplest explanation is probably the most likely to be true.
It doesn't say this. That's and ontological claim, whereas the OR is a methological suggestion. If we have two hypotheses that fit the evidence, let's agree on the one that posits less entities. This way we are protected from drawing more conclusions than is necessary (so far).
SAME-EE SAME G/I.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

h_k_s wrote: May 5th, 2019, 10:37 am
Karpel Tunnel wrote: May 4th, 2019, 9:33 am
SAME-EE SAME G/I.
I am not sure what you mean. It can't be gastrointestinal at the end.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: May 5th, 2019, 2:52 pm
h_k_s wrote: May 5th, 2019, 10:37 am

SAME-EE SAME G/I.
I am not sure what you mean. It can't be gastrointestinal at the end.
Vietnamese pidgin for "same-ee same G/I (soldier)."
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

h_k_s wrote: May 6th, 2019, 10:39 am
Karpel Tunnel wrote: May 5th, 2019, 2:52 pm I am not sure what you mean. It can't be gastrointestinal at the end.
If you mean that what you said and what I said are the same, they are not.
To say that simpler explanations are more likely to be true is a theory about how the universe works and is made up. Like it is more likely it will turn out that consciousness is caused by a simple mechanism than a complicated one, because simpler explanations are more likely.
Whereas the OR is a methodological explanation...
if we have two explanations and one of them has less entities and they both work equally well explainging the pheonomenon, then is is better to choose the simpler one.

Those are very different kinds of ideas, the first is a theory about ontology, the second is a suggestion about how community decides what to consider knowledge.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: May 7th, 2019, 2:16 am
h_k_s wrote: May 6th, 2019, 10:39 am

If you mean that what you said and what I said are the same, they are not.
To say that simpler explanations are more likely to be true is a theory about how the universe works and is made up. Like it is more likely it will turn out that consciousness is caused by a simple mechanism than a complicated one, because simpler explanations are more likely.
Whereas the OR is a methodological explanation...
if we have two explanations and one of them has less entities and they both work equally well explainging the pheonomenon, then is is better to choose the simpler one.

Those are very different kinds of ideas, the first is a theory about ontology, the second is a suggestion about how community decides what to consider knowledge.
Simpler explanations are more likely to be true -- you are correct.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream