The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

A Genuine Question In Mathematical Philosophy

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
hanahana
New Trial Member

Re: A Genuine Question In Mathematical Philosophy

Post by hanahana » December 5th, 2018, 2:24 am

this is a very useful post...well done

Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science

Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Post by Steve3007 » December 10th, 2018, 6:53 am

There's an interesting sum of a geometrical series in the song "Take It Easy" by The Eagles. It goes like this:

"I'm running down the road trying to loosen my load,
I got 7 women on my mind,
4 that want to own me,
2 that want to stone me,
1 says she's a friend of mine.
Take it easy. Take is easy.
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy."

But the trouble is, The Eagles didn't finish this geometrical progression (in which each number is 0.5 times the previous one). If they had finished it to infinity, would the total number of women on the songwriter's mind by 8, not 7? And would it be acceptable, after the first 3 terms, for him to have an infinite number of women's body parts on his mind?

Tamminen

Post by Tamminen » December 10th, 2018, 8:45 am

Steve3007 wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 6:53 am
There's an interesting sum of a geometrical series in the song "Take It Easy" by The Eagles. It goes like this:

"I'm running down the road trying to loosen my load,
I got 7 women on my mind,
4 that want to own me,
2 that want to stone me,
1 says she's a friend of mine.
Take it easy. Take is easy.
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy."

But the trouble is, The Eagles didn't finish this geometrical progression (in which each number is 0.5 times the previous one). If they had finished it to infinity, would the total number of women on the songwriter's mind by 8, not 7? And would it be acceptable, after the first 3 terms, for him to have an infinite number of women's body parts on his mind?
And could he imagine what a half of a hydrogen atom looks like?

Alan Masterman

Post by Alan Masterman » May 15th, 2019, 9:00 am

Thank you everybody for the privilege of your attention. I deliberately refrained from joining the discussion because I wanted to see how it would develop without my input. But mainly, because I lost the thread and took this long to find it again.

The balance of responses, by and large, appear to support my thesis that the science of mathematics is NOT the monolithic, logically-perfect entity that the layperson tends to assume it is. There are many mutually-inconsistent areas. I thank especially Steve3007, Nameless, Mathman, and Halc for their inputs.

Felix

Post by Felix » May 15th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Steve3007: "If they had finished it to infinity..."

That would be contrary to the song's advice: "Take it easy. Take it easy. Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy."

Happens all the time here, i.e., the sound of people's own cognitive wheels driving them crazy.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin

Alan Masterman

Post by Alan Masterman » May 15th, 2019, 11:01 pm

Philosophically speaking, the fundamental question is: what is the smallest possible number? One can represent it various ways, eg:

h

1/(whatever symbol for infinity can be copied accurately to this message box)

The Planck Number

Sealight

Post by Sealight » June 7th, 2019, 1:30 am

Hi Alan Masterman,
Are you asking about the smallest positive real number? Just want to clarify it for myself before to continue.
And by the way what makes you sure that 1/infinity is a real number?
Thanks.