Gender self identification, a mentally ill concept?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Sculptor1

Re: Gender self identification, a mentally ill concept?

Post by Sculptor1 »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: May 26th, 2019, 2:41 pm Sculptor1,

You know I am a moderator here? This means I have the capacity to go in any one of your posts and modify it or delete it. I don't have the power to do this however because you follow the rules and I am accountable. But to dare me or challenge me that I can't do it because you think it can't be done since you can't do a similar thing yourself is puzzling to me.

I guess h_k_s has put his finger on the matter when he warned about sophists earlier in this thread.
You can threaten me, you can dodge, but you can't chose to be gay anymore than you can chose to change the colour of your eyes.
Empiricist-Bruno
Favorite Philosopher: Berkeley

Post by Empiricist-Bruno »

I once attended a comedy club where the comic bragged about having done a homosexual act for cash while still believing himself a straight guy.

Is being gay a gene condition so if you don't have it, whatever gay act you participate in do not imply you are gay? How far can you live the gay life without being gay? Is there no limit to that if you have the elusive straight gene? Maybe some people who believe themselves gay are in fact genetically straight?

This is what makes me believe that the gene theory regarding sexual orientation is a pack of lies that make people miss the point. I think it is fair to consider this kind of concept as perhaps mentally ill as well.
Watch out for the hidden paradoxes around you!
Consul

Post by Consul »

By the way, as for the thread title, I don't think a concept can be mentally ill.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Consul

Post by Consul »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: May 26th, 2019, 7:31 pmI once attended a comedy club where the comic bragged about having done a homosexual act for cash while still believing himself a straight guy.
Is being gay a gene condition so if you don't have it, whatever gay act you participate in do not imply you are gay? How far can you live the gay life without being gay? Is there no limit to that if you have the elusive straight gene? Maybe some people who believe themselves gay are in fact genetically straight?
A man is (strictly/fully) gay if and only if he is intrinsically and exclusively sexually attracted to and excited by male persons or bodies.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: May 26th, 2019, 10:39 pmA man is (strictly/fully) gay if and only if he is intrinsically and exclusively sexually attracted to and excited by male persons or bodies.
Whether you're intrinsically and exclusively sexually attracted to and excited by male persons/bodies or to/by female ones is definitely not a matter of free choice.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: May 26th, 2019, 7:31 pm I once attended a comedy club where the comic bragged about having done a homosexual act for cash while still believing himself a straight guy.

This is what makes me believe that the gene theory regarding sexual orientation is a pack of lies that make people miss the point. I think it is fair to consider this kind of concept as perhaps mentally ill as well.
Ask any Thespian. Acting is not the same as reality.
You can chose to act.
Ian McKellan makes a great Gandalf, but that does not make him a wizard.
Any progress on your homosexuality yet?
Empiricist-Bruno
Favorite Philosopher: Berkeley

Post by Empiricist-Bruno »

Consul wrote: May 26th, 2019, 10:18 pm By the way, as for the thread title, I don't think a concept can be mentally ill.
That is interesting...Do you think an idea or suggestion can be sick? Can I have sick ideas? Or do you think a plan can be sick? Can I have sick plans?

I might be relieved to learn that I cannot have that even though I believe that I have had that in the past before realizing what they were and working to distance myself from these concepts.

The idea of working on a new type of sexuality because blogger Sculptor1 wants me to do it, wouldn't that be a sick project?
Watch out for the hidden paradoxes around you!
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: May 27th, 2019, 6:10 pm That is interesting...Do you think an idea or suggestion can be sick? Can I have sick ideas? Or do you think a plan can be sick? Can I have sick plans?
It's a metaphor, but not literally. I am not sure it is a good metaphor. 'Poor' concept. Badly justified concept. A concept that leads to negative or positive effects.
I might be relieved to learn that I cannot have that even though I believe that I have had that in the past before realizing what they were and working to distance myself from these concepts.

The idea of working on a new type of sexuality because blogger Sculptor1 wants me to do it, wouldn't that be a sick project?
You might get sick. We could call it a gnarly project. Or an uncool one. Or a bummer project. But I don't think we get more information that just saying 'bad', and one also might be confusing.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: May 27th, 2019, 6:10 pm
Consul wrote: May 26th, 2019, 10:18 pm By the way, as for the thread title, I don't think a concept can be mentally ill.
That is interesting...Do you think an idea or suggestion can be sick? Can I have sick ideas? Or do you think a plan can be sick? Can I have sick plans?
No - not on a philosophy forum and be taken seriously.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: May 28th, 2019, 2:23 amIt's a metaphor, but not literally. I am not sure it is a good metaphor. 'Poor' concept. Badly justified concept. A concept that leads to negative or positive effects.

Obviously the choice of our metaphors are important. This one seems to condemn as insane all people who stray from the strict line of buttoned up heterosexuality. And as such the question is absurd.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: May 26th, 2019, 7:31 pm I once attended a comedy club where the comic bragged about having done a homosexual act for cash while still believing himself a straight guy.

The fact that you think some straight people might believe themselves to be gay makes you believe that gayness is not genetic? That's a very poor reason. First that some straight people might convince themselves they are gay is not mutually exclusive with gayness being genetic. People can fool themselves in all sorts of ways. The existence of hypochondriacs and Muchausen by proxy does not demonstrate that no one, including children, is sick. Further it may not be binary. Gay or not. There could be gradations, as the existence of bisexuals (of varying degrees and tendencies seems to indicate). But further, gayness could be genetic and some people convince themselves they are gay. Perhaps to avoid intimacy with the opposite sex for a variety of reasons. Perhaps because they were sexually abused by someone of the same sex and were told that's what they are.

There have been people who thought they were Napoleon and Jesus. This doesn't mean that those people did not exist.
Consul

Post by Consul »

"Transgender people are not mentally ill, the WHO decrees": https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/28/heal ... index.html
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: May 28th, 2019, 4:35 pm "Transgender people are not mentally ill, the WHO decrees": https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/28/heal ... index.html
Well, but why is it not a case of clinical delusion when e.g a boy/man with a definitely and completely male body seriously believes that he is a girl/woman? Note that saying "I am a girl/woman" is relevantly different from saying "I desire/want to be(come) a girl/woman"! I do not regard a transsexual boy's/man's desire to be(come) female as a mental disorder.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Consul wrote: May 28th, 2019, 4:45 pm
Consul wrote: May 28th, 2019, 4:35 pm "Transgender people are not mentally ill, the WHO decrees": https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/28/heal ... index.html
Well, but why is it not a case of clinical delusion when e.g a boy/man with a definitely and completely male body seriously believes that he is a girl/woman? Note that saying "I am a girl/woman" is relevantly different from saying "I desire/want to be(come) a girl/woman"! I do not regard a transsexual boy's/man's desire to be(come) female as a mental disorder.
You would have to get inside their heads to understand. However, if someone makes this claim and then successfully transitions and lives a good life in that gender, who is to say that they were wrong? Certainly a female is not a man a male is not a woman in terms of the reproductive cells they produce but they are not saying that. They are saying that inside their heads they feel as if they are in the wrong gender. The actual terminology such people, who are at the very least going to be emotionally disturbed by their situation, is a moot point and should not be taken literally.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Consul wrote: May 28th, 2019, 4:45 pm
Because their brain activity and structures are more like the sex they identify with....

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 112351.htm

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream