Devolution of Humans

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Kane Jiang

Devolution of Humans

Post by Kane Jiang »

Why do humans think we are at the top of the evolution pyramid?

In terms of lifespan, there are many animals that live as long as us such as crocodiles, turtles, and even the dinosaurs.
In terms of science, we haven't proven there is enough fuel for us to escape if the sun goes supernova. (I also do not think science can explain everything and if there is not enough fuel, I do not think that is a coincidence)
In terms of survival of the fittest, plants automatically win because animals depend on them for survival.

And then there are the major examples of devolution:
1. A starfish can regenerate its arms; our regenerative abilities pale in comparison
2. Many animals have magnetoreception, can you imagine humans losing a whole sense, a whole way to experience the world? That should be really big.
3. Many animals have electroreception.
4. Reptiles have better metabolism by being cold-blooded. By spending less energy producing warmth, they could use their metabolism in other areas. That's how dinosaurs got so big, and modern day reptiles don't usually get fat from not moving a lot. Compare this with mammals, like hippos, and elephants, they get VERY fat.
5. Reptiles and birds' feces smell less than mammals in my opinion.
6. Going from laying eggs to bearing young should be an example of devolution, right? Also, just because an animal lays eggs doesn't mean he or she can't raise their young. This is devolution in my eyes in terms of ability because of the pain and length of being pregnant compared to a chicken laying eggs everyday...

I also don't think power is an example of evolutionary finesse because of what I said above about survival of the fittest and I think all forms of power are unethical. Having ability is more ethical and makes you more independent than being powerful IMO.
There are many reasons why I think mammals are a step down in the evolutionary pyramid compared to reptiles. BUT, I do believe humans to be more evolved than most, if not all mammals and some reptiles.
LuckyR

Re: Devolution of Humans

Post by LuckyR »

Kane Jiang wrote: August 8th, 2019, 7:44 am Why do humans think we are at the top of the evolution pyramid?

In terms of lifespan, there are many animals that live as long as us such as crocodiles, turtles, and even the dinosaurs.
In terms of science, we haven't proven there is enough fuel for us to escape if the sun goes supernova. (I also do not think science can explain everything and if there is not enough fuel, I do not think that is a coincidence)
In terms of survival of the fittest, plants automatically win because animals depend on them for survival.

1. A starfish can regenerate its arms; our regenerative abilities pale in comparison
2. Many animals have magnetoreception, can you imagine humans losing a whole sense, a whole way to experience the world? That should be really big.
4. Reptiles have better metabolism by being cold-blooded. By spending less energy producing warmth, they could use their metabolism in other areas. That's how dinosaurs got so big, and modern day reptiles don't usually get fat from not moving a lot. Compare this with mammals, like hippos, and elephants, they get VERY fat.
6. Going from laying eggs to bearing young should be an example of devolution, right? Also, just because an animal lays eggs doesn't mean he or she can't raise their young. This is devolution in my eyes in terms of ability because of the pain and length of being pregnant compared to a chicken laying eggs everyday...

I also don't think power is an example of evolutionary finesse because of what I said above about survival of the fittest and I think all forms of power are unethical. Having ability is more ethical and makes you more independent than being powerful IMO.
There are many reasons why I think mammals are a step down in the evolutionary pyramid compared to reptiles. BUT, I do believe humans to be more evolved than most, if not all mammals and some reptiles.
You're kind of asking the wrong question. Modern organisms are farther along the evolutionary branch than those earlier on the same branch. But you are trying to compare those on separate branches, who are not direct genetic competitors. In addition, as environmental forces change, adaptations that were previously advantageous can become an evolutionary disadvantage.

Thus any species can become disadvantaged at any time, this is a dynamic system.
"As usual... it depends."
Kane Jiang

Post by Kane Jiang »

Yes, I should change the title from "devolution" to something else.

I guess some of the points wouldn't apply to humans' ancestors, but 6, 3, and 2 might. Did human ancestors have electroreception or magnetoreception? If they did (presumably as marine animals, our ancestors had electroreception?), what is the rationale for losing an entire sense, and is it lost forever from a natural perspective?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Kane Jiang wrote:There are many reasons why I think mammals are a step down in the evolutionary pyramid compared to reptiles. BUT, I do believe humans to be more evolved than most, if not all mammals and some reptiles.
It's not really clear to me what you mean by the concept of being a "step up" or a "step down" in an evolutionary pyramid or by the concept of being "more evolved".

In reality, Evolution doesn't work that way. It doesn't have an end point towards which species are striving and against which their progress can be measured. There are certainly some species that are more complex than others and over large periods of time, as species diffuse outwards into the space of all possible forms the complexity of the most complex species has increased. But I think it's a mistake (albeit a very natural one for a human mind to make) to see that in terms progress.
Kane Jiang

Post by Kane Jiang »

It's not really clear to me what you mean by the concept of being a "step up" or a "step down" in an evolutionary pyramid or by the concept of being "more evolved".
Yes, my bad. I didn't really believe in an endpoint to evolution along which progress could be measured; I just wanted to see what the prevailing opinion on the matter is.

I'm aware that animals have their own niches, but I do think there are some traits that can be measured via progress. For example, I believe, the more senses you have, the better. I don't see how losing a sense, a way to experience the world, could ever be beneficial considering experiencing the world through a sense is pretty much involuntary and doesn't take effort (and there may not be more than a few possible senses to experience the world). I also think any progress made through traits such as ability, flexibility, or sustainability is a step up. For example, it's better to have the ability to fly and use your hands than just use your hands. Yes, more isn't always better but I think in terms of senses, and ability more Is always better. There can be examples of devolution of losing the ability to fly so that your hands wouldn't be affected by the burden of having wings, but I think retaining the ability to do both would be an example of a step up in the evolutionary pyramid (not necessarily having 2 physical traits, but just having the ability to do both somehow).

So maybe it's not really a line that I refer to when I'm saying a "step up" or "step down" in an evolutionary pyramid and maybe it's not with every trait that I'm referring to.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Kane Jiang wrote: August 8th, 2019, 7:44 am Why do humans think we are at the top of the evolution pyramid?

We are at the top because we are the most recent to have evolved -- less than 2 million years ago.

The whole process went something like this:

Single cell life without nuclei.

Single cell life with nuclei.

Single cell moving organisms.

Invertebrates.

Fishes.

Amphibians.

Reptiles.

Dimetrodon.

Mammals.

Miacids.

Monkeys.

Apes.

Hominids.

This is the current state of the theory of human evolution.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

LuckyR wrote: August 9th, 2019, 1:01 am

You're kind of asking the wrong question. Modern organisms are farther along the evolutionary branch than those earlier on the same branch. But you are trying to compare those on separate branches, who are not direct genetic competitors. In addition, as environmental forces change, adaptations that were previously advantageous can become an evolutionary disadvantage.

Thus any species can become disadvantaged at any time, this is a dynamic system.
I agree.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Kane Jiang wrote:For example, I believe, the more senses you have, the better. I don't see how losing a sense, a way to experience the world, could ever be beneficial considering experiencing the world through a sense is pretty much involuntary and doesn't take effort (and there may not be more than a few possible senses to experience the world). I also think any progress made through traits such as ability, flexibility, or sustainability is a step up.
That's an interesting point. It implies that the acquisition of any new ability or sense always confers an evolutionary advantage and that their loss always confers a disadvantage. But there do seem to be numerous examples in nature of species losing such a thing. Creatures who live in the perpetual darkness at the bottoms of the oceans, for example, sometimes seem to have lost the sense of sight. Losses like this generally seem to happen because if the sense (or other physical trait) in question is not used to help survival there is no evolutionary pressure to keep it. Mutations of the genes that code for that particular piece of physical anatomy will not be selected out because they will have no effect on the ability to survive and produce offspring.

Since any sense takes energy and effort to maintain and use, I presume there would be an evolutionary advantage to not having that sense if it's not needed (the advantage of efficiency), so presumably the individuals in which the genes which code for the creation of that sense have mutated in such a way as to stop the sense from working would have a slight advantage in an environment where the sense has no use.

Another classic example of this happening is the gene which codes for the production of vitamin C in the body which exists in all mammals but is mutated in primates (including us) in such a way that primates cannot create vitamin C and have to have it in our diet. It looks as though this mutation occurred at some point in the distant past, after primates split from other mammals, because we primates had ample supplies of vitamin C in our diets and so there was no selective advantage to making it in the body. So individuals who by a genetic mutation couldn't make it were no less likely to survive and produce offspring than those who could. But I don't know whether removing the effort required to create vitamin C in the body actually conferred any positive advantage.
h_k_s wrote:We are at the top because we are the most recent to have evolved -- less than 2 million years ago.
If the measure of which species is "at the top" was based on how recently that species diverged from the common ancestor with a different species (i.e. how recently it "evolved") then there is apparently a species of Galapogos finch that has a much greater claim than us. Also, if we regard ourselves as being at the top because our common ancestor with chimpanzees (our nearest extant relatives) lived only a few million years ago then surely, using this measure of topness, the chimpanzee can rightly be regarded as at the same level as us since, by definition, they "evolved" (i.e. the species came into existence by a process of speciation) at the same time as us.
Kane Jiang

Post by Kane Jiang »

Since any sense takes energy and effort to maintain and use, I presume there would be an evolutionary advantage to not having that sense if it's not needed (the advantage of efficiency), so presumably the individuals in which the genes which code for the creation of that sense have mutated in such a way as to stop the sense from working would have a slight advantage in an environment where the sense has no use.
Except is there any example of regaining a sense in evolution? I think about all the examples of marine mammals that have returned to being aquatic and only the monotremes (who look like our reptilian ancestors) still have electroreception. Did their ancestors ever lose electroreception?

Almost all fish seem to have electroreception so what is the reason for whales, dolphins, and sea cows not having them (regaining the sense)?
In vertebrates, electroreception is an ancestral trait, that is to say that it was present in the last common ancestor of all vertebrates.
New evidence from 100-million-year-old jawbones found in Australia suggests that egg-laying mammals such as the platypus may have evolved more slowly than other mammals,
Other vertebrates that have electroreception such as [...] monotremes, and at least one species of cetacean all have different secondarily derived forms of electroreception
It says its form of electroreception is derived from the ancestral one. I can't put my finger on this if it means monotremes' ancestors ever lost electroreception or they just evolved a different form and replaced the original one. Ok, never mind, it says one species of dolphin (cetacean) has electroreception.

I'm assuming bees have a different form of electroreception not derived from that ancestral one. If the ancestors of platypuses and that one species of dolphin evolved electroreception after losing it, the chances of having a form of electroreception derived from the ancestral one is slim or 0? So I'm inclined to believe that no mammal that lost it has ever regained electroreception?

But if regaining a sense is impossible or near impossible, wouldn't that put the theory of losing a sense as being evolutionary advantageous under some circumstances on its face?
Also, we don't know if animals that lost a sense had their sense inhibited of if the sense was completely lost. I used electroreception as an example because there are different types of electroreception (scientists can compare the different organs responsible, and a regaining of electroreception after completely losing it should likely mean a completely different form).
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Steve3007 wrote: August 10th, 2019, 3:33 am
Kane Jiang wrote:For example, I believe, the more senses you have, the better. I don't see how losing a sense, a way to experience the world, could ever be beneficial considering experiencing the world through a sense is pretty much involuntary and doesn't take effort (and there may not be more than a few possible senses to experience the world). I also think any progress made through traits such as ability, flexibility, or sustainability is a step up.
That's an interesting point. It implies that the acquisition of any new ability or sense always confers an evolutionary advantage and that their loss always confers a disadvantage. But there do seem to be numerous examples in nature of species losing such a thing. Creatures who live in the perpetual darkness at the bottoms of the oceans, for example, sometimes seem to have lost the sense of sight. Losses like this generally seem to happen because if the sense (or other physical trait) in question is not used to help survival there is no evolutionary pressure to keep it. Mutations of the genes that code for that particular piece of physical anatomy will not be selected out because they will have no effect on the ability to survive and produce offspring.

Another classic example of this happening is the gene which codes for the production of vitamin C in the body which exists in all mammals but is mutated in primates (including us) in such a way that primates cannot create vitamin C and have to have it in our diet. It looks as though this mutation occurred at some point in the distant past, after primates split from other mammals, because we primates had ample supplies of vitamin C in our diets and so there was no selective advantage to making it in the body. So individuals who by a genetic mutation couldn't make it were no less likely to survive and produce offspring than those who could. But I don't know whether removing the effort required to create vitamin C in the body actually conferred any positive advantage.
h_k_s wrote:We are at the top because we are the most recent to have evolved -- less than 2 million years ago.
If the measure of which species is "at the top" was based on how recently that species diverged from the common ancestor with a different species (i.e. how recently it "evolved") then there is apparently a species of Galapogos finch that has a much greater claim than us. Also, if we regard ourselves as being at the top because our common ancestor with chimpanzees (our nearest extant relatives) lived only a few million years ago then surely, using this measure of topness, the chimpanzee can rightly be regarded as at the same level as us since, by definition, they "evolved" (i.e. the species came into existence by a process of speciation) at the same time as us.
Due to humans' most recent evolution over other species, we are more intellectual, make the best tools, and are the top of the food chain on land and on the surface of the seas.
Pantagruel
Favorite Philosopher: George Herbert Mead

Post by Pantagruel »

Because the vast majority of people think anthropocentrically. It is one of our many, many cognitive biases. One of the worst, since it drives our destruction of our own habitat.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Pantagruel wrote: August 12th, 2019, 12:03 pm
Because the vast majority of people think anthropocentrically. It is one of our many, many cognitive biases. One of the worst, since it drives our destruction of our own habitat.
Spot on. I could not agree more.

Re: the thread. I don't think humans are devolving, they are overcrowding and the upper and lower classes are stratifying. There's many more brilliant people as well as many more ignorant ones. The latter make more noise, though.
Pantagruel
Favorite Philosopher: George Herbert Mead

Post by Pantagruel »

Greta wrote: August 12th, 2019, 5:44 pm
Pantagruel wrote: August 12th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Spot on. I could not agree more.

Re: the thread. I don't think humans are devolving, they are overcrowding and the upper and lower classes are stratifying. There's many more brilliant people as well as many more ignorant ones. The latter make more noise, though.
Yes, probably speciation rather than devolution...
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Because we obviously are in terms of intelligence and our ability to change the world. This should not lead to even the slightest hubris but to its opposite.

Intelligence invariably evolves as a twin entity co-existent with the other half called stupidity which so-called less intelligent creatures are able to avoid. The only way to make intelligence less dangerous to itself is by noticing the risk. If not then stupidity will take the reins which leads to catastrophe and possibly to consequences which can't be recovered from. Spiraling downward is a much more sudden event than applying the torque of intelligence to escape our limitations...aside from never landing where we started from as though it were a new beginning.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Spiraling downward is a much more sudden event than applying the torque of intelligence to escape our limitations... aside from never landing where we started from as though it were a new beginning.
Dude, you are not quoting song lyrics, are you?! :o :)
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream