Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Belindi

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Belindi »

Felix wrote: August 13th, 2019, 10:10 am
I wrote no such thing, Felix.
Gee whiz, folks are getting a bit testy around here... I was just riffing on your "struggle for existence" comment, Belindi.
I try to be concise which means sometimes I omit what I'd have been better to include.

By 'struggle for existence' I mean the struggle to get fed, raise offspring, get shelter from the storms, drive off competitors and so forth.Those individuals who manage to survive until they reproduce are the ones whose genes will survive until they themselves produce offspring, all else being equal e.g. no massive earthquakes , meteors , etc. If I remember rightly this is what Darwin himself meant by 'struggle for existence'.

I did mention vast time scales , 'geological' time scales,so that minute genetic variations will or will not increase exponentially.

BTW does "riffing" mean you were joking ? If so I'm either too old or too foreign or both to know the expression apart from what people do when playing popular guitar music.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

GaryLouisSmith :
I think you are saying that there are certain roles which we MUST MUST MUST play and there is no way out. Is that because of our bad karma? How did we get trapped in this world? But maybe you are in love with this trap. Who wrote the laws that govern this place? Surely they are from a lower band of Archons. "Behold, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves, you must be as cunning as serpents and as simple as doves."
it may possibly annoy you Maslow implies non-compliance among the upper layers of his hierarchy of needs.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

Your quotation is so apt to politics today and to heroes like Greta Thunberg it gives me gooseflesh to read it
Felix

Post by Felix »

Belindi said: BTW does "riffing" mean you were joking? ... what people do when playing popular guitar music.
You were close, it's a musicians slang term which means to improvise on a theme.
Belindi: I did mention vast time scales, 'geological' time scales, so that minute genetic variations will or will not increase exponentially.
Yes, but it is inconsistent in that the fossil record does not indicate any sort of steady change over time but rather "punctuated equilibrium," i.e., fits and starts, and it not clear what's going on there - so Darwinian theory also involves a bit of "riffing."
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
dawwg

Post by dawwg »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: August 13th, 2019, 9:09 pm You have to remember that I am the guy who thinks the mind and the body are two, not one...There is no such thing as pleasures solely of the mind. A mind, just as a mind, without a body, is able to know and feel real sex. Or taste real flavors. Or listen to real sounds. That's what minds do. They go to the thing itself. I as a mind might spy up ahead a material person or a god. There would be no problem going up to that and being intimate with it.
OK, you can disengage your mind from your body and have intimacies with people at a distance, I'll not argue against that, you are gifted.

And you don't think imaginative flights of fancy are pleasures solely of the mind.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

dawwg wrote: August 14th, 2019, 3:11 pm
GaryLouisSmith wrote: August 13th, 2019, 9:09 pm You have to remember that I am the guy who thinks the mind and the body are two, not one...There is no such thing as pleasures solely of the mind. A mind, just as a mind, without a body, is able to know and feel real sex. Or taste real flavors. Or listen to real sounds. That's what minds do. They go to the thing itself. I as a mind might spy up ahead a material person or a god. There would be no problem going up to that and being intimate with it.
OK, you can disengage your mind from your body and have intimacies with people at a distance, I'll not argue against that, you are gifted.

And you don't think imaginative flights of fancy are pleasures solely of the mind.
No. You can't "give him that"!!!LOL. This is a complete fantasy.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Felix wrote: August 14th, 2019, 5:14 am
Greta: Belinda is right, the first blob didn't need a will to live, only the capacity to persist.
What I was saying is I don't see such persistence leading to a progressive evolution unless the potential for that is inherent in Life itself. I don't buy the idea of it being a haphazard process driven by random chance, it's just too farfetched.
I don't find it far-fetched. The idea of mind existing within a primal, early universe seems more in need of an explanatory path. I didn't notice such a mind at the start of my own path. We have no mind or will as an embryo. Mind emerges gradually.

What I see are entities in reality with different types of persistence-enhancing systematisation. Some are called "living" and others "non living".

Yet the formation of objects, for instance, is simply a more primal version of natural selection. The proto-planetary disc evolved to become the planets and moons we see today. Survival of the persistent. How to persist? Be big. Be well located. What happened to the non-persistent? They are not around any more :)

So larger rocks aggregated, destroyed or evicted the small. Sometimes they clashed and destroyed each other, or one would emerge from the battle, scarred and victorious. It's a familiar story.

So I'm interested in looking beyond the easy division of of "life" and "non life" because there's many entities whose sophistication lies between that division. Viruses, prions, stars, planets, crystals, organic molecules. Each clearly has a clearly dynamic means of persisting, unlike an asteroid or pebble, yet none of these would would seem to possess "will". Microbes too, at least the simplest of them, would seem more configured by evolution than displaying will.

Will emerges from these situations naturally, because it's one more attribute that helps an entity to persist. Means of persisting have become ever more developed and complex over time. The process continues with humans working to create sentient entities that will either absorb or outlast them.
steveb1
New Trial Member

Post by steveb1 »

Spectrum wrote: October 29th, 2017, 9:39 pm
<snipped>

To date there is no convincing proof for the existence of a God.
There's a difference between proving the existence of God and experiencing God as an object of "gnostic" immediacy.

"Proving" God is a matter of entering into public discourse to "win an argument" that putatively establishes God's reality on some external, public, or "peer-review" level.

Acquiring God-evidence, on the other hand, is the opposite of "proving" God, because the evidence is experience via subjective endeavor and is obtained only through private personal experience, not public discourse and material quantification.

If you find a rose blossom to be beautiful, that is your private and personal experience - evidence that speaks for itself.
But if you try to prove:

1. That the rose flower is indeed beautiful;

- and -

2. That your experience and interpretation of the rose is true and real

- then -

3. You've failed, because 1. and 2. above cannot be done, because the rose experience is wholly subjective and cannot be pulled out of the private psyche into the external observation for confirmation or denial. Even if you show the rose to others for them to see, handle, and smell, still your experience is unique, ineffable and non-duplicable.

Ditto for all claimed God-experiences: due to their non-material, subjective and "qualia-toned" reference, they can't be pulled out of the individual subject and put on display for dissection.

That, in my view, is why theists who have experience of God are not obligated to turn that internally received evidence into public proof. Unless, that is, they are foolish enough to proselytize about their private experience and insist that it can be proved as if it were identical to physical claims about the material universe. Best to keep the experience of the rose blossom to oneself, unless interested parties inquire about it. The same holds true, or ought to hold true, for claims of God-experience.
Consul

Post by Consul »

steveb1 wrote: August 14th, 2019, 6:32 pmThere's a difference between proving the existence of God and experiencing God as an object of "gnostic" immediacy.
"Experiencing God" means "perceiving God". How can you perceive a god who is a spatially unextended and spatially unlocated immaterial soul/spirit?
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
GaryLouisSmith
Favorite Philosopher: Gustav Bergmann

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

dawwg wrote: August 14th, 2019, 3:11 pm

What you have to do is disengage your thinking from popular culture and do some rigorous logical analysis. Become a real, radical empiricist and examine the phenomena that directly appear to you mind. Don’t go off on one of your flights into the Matrix.

What does it mean to be “of the mind”? What does it mean to say the mind is engaged with or disengaged from the body? What exactly is a thought? What is an imagined object? I think you have no idea what any of that really means and you just got your words from the air that all “knowledgeable” hip people today breathe.

Learn analysis. Learn how to take things apart into their constituent ontological, phenomenological pieces. Learn intellectual violence.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: August 14th, 2019, 6:44 pm"Experiencing God" means "perceiving God". How can you perceive a god who is a spatially unextended and spatially unlocated immaterial soul/spirit?
For example, even a spatially located immaterial soul is invisible in principle, since it is a zero-dimensional object (like a mathematical point) lacking a surface that could reflect light.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: August 14th, 2019, 6:44 pm"Experiencing God" means "perceiving God". How can you perceive a god who is a spatially unextended and spatially unlocated immaterial soul/spirit?
By means of "mystical perception" perhaps? I don't think so, because this alleged source of knowledge is a supernaturalistic/theistic fiction.

"In the wide sense, let us say that a ‘mystical experience,’ is:

A (purportedly) super sense-perceptual or sub sense-perceptual experience granting acquaintance of realities or states of affairs that are of a kind not accessible by way of sense perception, somatosensory modalities, or standard introspection."

Mysticism: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mysticism/
GaryLouisSmith
Favorite Philosopher: Gustav Bergmann

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

steveb1 wrote: August 14th, 2019, 6:32 pm
Spectrum wrote: October 29th, 2017, 9:39 pm
<snipped>

To date there is no convincing proof for the existence of a God.
There's a difference between proving the existence of God and experiencing God as an object of "gnostic" immediacy.

"Proving" God is a matter of entering into public discourse to "win an argument" that putatively establishes God's reality on some external, public, or "peer-review" level.

Acquiring God-evidence, on the other hand, is the opposite of "proving" God, because the evidence is experience via subjective endeavor and is obtained only through private personal experience, not public discourse and material quantification.
I basically agree with you, but I disagree with you about your use of the word "subjective". Yes, God, as I see the matter. is something that one directly experiences. God is not something to be proved. But if you want to try to prove God's existence, I will listen because I enjoy such debates. I love the Ontological Argument.

There is no subjective-objective divide. Everything that appears to our mind is objective. If I see the beauty of X, then I see the beauty of X. it is a real thing. Maybe I am the only one seeing it. So what? It is still there.

For me, the act of philosophical looking or "proof" if you want to call it that, is a matter of clearing away the underbrush so you can get a clearer view of the thing. Make a clearing where only that one thing exists and you can see it in all its nakedness. You might call that philosophical analysis. It's also like a surgeon moving back folds of skin and organs to get at the one thing he is interested it. I think the word for that is "sublate". God can be seen if you clear away the ruins of analysis blocking your view.
steveb1
New Trial Member

Post by steveb1 »

Thanks for your perceptive comments.
You wrote,

"Everything that appears to our mind is objective."

If so, then what do we categorize as subjective?

And, re: God-talk - mystics claim to know God as a "Presence", but also as a "Person". Can a person, who is a human or a divine subject, be experience only as an object...?
dawwg

Post by dawwg »

Sculptor1 wrote: August 14th, 2019, 5:04 pm
dawwg wrote: August 14th, 2019, 3:11 pm OK, you can disengage your mind from your body and have intimacies with people at a distance, I'll not argue against that, you are gifted.
No. You can't "give him that"!!!LOL. This is a complete fantasy.
It's impossible for me to prove it to you, but such events have occurred, I believe.

For the sake of argument let's say I cornered an unsuspecting 'advanced being', more by luck and his skepticism that the truth would be accepted than by deft maneuvers, what defensive strategy would they adopt? Deception and dissembly (sp?)

Ah yes, and you think this individual is alone? No I tell you, we are in a veritable coven of vampires!
dawwg

Post by dawwg »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: August 14th, 2019, 6:52 pm Learn intellectual violence.
How'd I do?

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream