Political Correctness Root

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Haicoway

Re: Political Correctness Root

Post by Haicoway »

I agree that it is impossible to separate any potential racial advantage from the incredible Korean work ethic and competitive spirit that encourages the youngest kids to put their all into competitive sports.

And the data point of one is just a flavor element, certainly not much evidence.
Haicoway

Post by Haicoway »

Woops, sorry, Lucky, I forgot to respond to your question. I'm into my daily afternoon martini time, and not the sharpest knife in the drawer. No, I'm not Korean. I'm a Brit by ancestry. But I worked for a Chinese company last before I retired, and I have been told by the Chinese, at least, that I think more Asian than American, which I technically am.
Haicoway

Post by Haicoway »

h_k_s wrote: September 5th, 2019, 3:22 pmSomeone would have had to have been living under a rock for the past 65 years not to see this coming.
That’s right h_k_s. These movements that you itemize culminated in the Obama presidency. American progressives believed that the psychology of darkness, severity and hatred could be suppressed through social pressure and censorship, called political correctness. And they thought that this Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood culture would be even furthered by Hillary’s election.

Dr. Carl Jung wrote: “Filling the conscious mind with ideal conceptions is a characteristic of Western theosophy, but not the confrontation with the shadow and the world of darkness. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.”

Jung believed that every psychic reaction caused a compensatory opposite reaction. This was the election of Donald Trump. Jung said further, “The fact is that if one tries beyond one’s capacity to be perfect, the shadow descends into hell and becomes the devil.”
People knew in their hearts that too much darkness had been suppressed, so they cracked open their doors to usher in a bit of The Shadow.

What we are witnessing by vignettes such as the hysteria over Haney’s comments, and the banning of the Hurricane Cake at a Florida bakery, are liberal death throws.
Haicoway

Post by Haicoway »

I meant "death throes," of course. If there's an edit function on this site, I don't see it.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Haicoway wrote: September 4th, 2019, 4:25 pm Is my conclusion the only reason why Haney’s remark was pilloried? And where does this, what I consider over-the-top, PC come from?
Right off the bat I want to say that there is more than one PC. And PCs shift over time. When I was younger, you simply could not be critical of various aspects of US in at other historical times or currently in foreign affairs without being told you were anti-patriotic. The way you sat spoke moved interacted, for men, had some very strong limits or you were a homosexual, more likely called a fag. Women being self-assertive were bitches and so on. So, we have different PCs, and these can all lead to problems with work or in social life, depending on what culture or subculture has the power in that area. Over-the-top is always going to be the evaluation of those who do not completely or at all share the beliefs of a specific PC. Which is not to say that what passes for the current Left PC strikes me as OK. There are many things that do not. But the Left did not invent the PC style, that's been around since humans were in groups, and the Right has had and still has its versions. Look at what Tusli Gabbard is going through for questioning the advisability of going to war with Iran and questioning the arguments around it.
Haicoway

Post by Haicoway »

I agree, KT, and I think I acknowledged somewhere in my post that the Right has its own PC. And it was a lot harder to live under when I was a kid. It was politically incorrect to be civil to a Black person if you were White. I was frequently called a N lover because I treated Black people equally.

I am White and have had several Black girlfriends. My Woton archetype possessed me one evening in the '70s and I purposely took one into a packed, particularly redneck bar in NASCAR country, at about 1:30 in the morning, hoping someone would say something to give me the opportunity to gallantly defend the maiden. Nobody said anything that I could hear, and I had this incredibly warm feeling that times were-a-changing. I am progressively minded about women's rights, LBGT and most of the directions the Left PC addresses. It is the stifling of free speech, associations running wild, and what I regard as the oversensitivity with Left PC that bother me and instigated my post.

I should have specified it is progressive Left PC to which I am referring in this post.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Haicoway wrote: September 7th, 2019, 9:30 am
h_k_s wrote: September 5th, 2019, 3:22 pmSomeone would have had to have been living under a rock for the past 65 years not to see this coming.
That’s right h_k_s. These movements that you itemize culminated in the Obama presidency. American progressives believed that the psychology of darkness, severity and hatred could be suppressed through social pressure and censorship, called political correctness. And they thought that this Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood culture would be even furthered by Hillary’s election.

Dr. Carl Jung wrote: “Filling the conscious mind with ideal conceptions is a characteristic of Western theosophy, but not the confrontation with the shadow and the world of darkness. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.”

Jung believed that every psychic reaction caused a compensatory opposite reaction. This was the election of Donald Trump. Jung said further, “The fact is that if one tries beyond one’s capacity to be perfect, the shadow descends into hell and becomes the devil.”
People knew in their hearts that too much darkness had been suppressed, so they cracked open their doors to usher in a bit of The Shadow.

What we are witnessing by vignettes such as the hysteria over Haney’s comments, and the banning of the Hurricane Cake at a Florida bakery, are liberal death throws.
OMG not another Obama hater.

You know that David Koch died finally?
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Haicoway wrote: September 7th, 2019, 9:33 am I meant "death throes," of course. If there's an edit function on this site, I don't see it.
Once you post you cannot change it afterwards.
detail

Post by detail »

political correctness is as boris johnson would have said it , in his most serious emphasis against beeing for conformism and not having a opinion that just takes its orientation on anti-democratic anti-media voices.
Haicoway

Post by Haicoway »

You might be frustrated like I was in not being able to edit what you said after you pushed the post button. :)
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

It a game of manners. There are many.

Humans achieved what they have through being annoying pains-in-the-neck. Simply, we have over seven billion people all telling each other, "Lift your game!", based on their own particular priorities. Then others complain about that pushiness, and others complain about the complaints, and so it goes.

Somewhere amongst the chaos, humanity has in fact "lifted its game" from small populations in natural caves to huge populations in artificial high rise caves.

That's the thing about humans. What we do really does work - look how successful a species we are! But our means to reach those ends are almost as horrifying as our pre-civilisation activities. I suspect that if humans were pleasant, reasonable and wise that civilisation would soon fall apart. Civilisation is inherently an act of domination, an imposition of will upon the many.

No doubt that's why so many throughout history have claimed that Earth is actually hell. You're damned if you do (civilise) because you will be surrounded by control freak a-holes telling you what you should be doing, saying and thinking. And you're damned if you don't civilise because you will surrounded by thugs, thieves and relative chaos.

Lo, my children, we are in paradise! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Political Correctness is an oxymoron in every respect. Between the ox end and the moron end lies the true bandwidth of the politically correct. When truth is the enemy acceptance in such a society is both an imperative and a goal camouflaging all vulgar truths which PC disallows to be revealed or spoken. Those who attempt to be more honest usually get ostracized or in danger of losing their livelihoods. One thing's for sure, they'll never get elected.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Jklint wrote: September 13th, 2019, 7:07 pm Political Correctness is an oxymoron in every respect. Between the ox end and the moron end lies the true bandwidth of the politically correct. When truth is the enemy acceptance in such a society is both an imperative and a goal camouflaging all vulgar truths which PC disallows to be revealed or spoken. Those who attempt to be more honest usually get ostracized or in danger of losing their livelihoods. One thing's for sure, they'll never get elected.
I can see the argument that Trump might not have been 'more honest' but it's hard for me to see anyone saying he was remotely pc. And yet he got elected.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: September 15th, 2019, 9:28 am
Jklint wrote: September 13th, 2019, 7:07 pm Political Correctness is an oxymoron in every respect. Between the ox end and the moron end lies the true bandwidth of the politically correct. When truth is the enemy acceptance in such a society is both an imperative and a goal camouflaging all vulgar truths which PC disallows to be revealed or spoken. Those who attempt to be more honest usually get ostracized or in danger of losing their livelihoods. One thing's for sure, they'll never get elected.
I can see the argument that Trump might not have been 'more honest' but it's hard for me to see anyone saying he was remotely pc. And yet he got elected.
Trump has nothing to do with PC in any manner whatsoever. He's a disgusting lowlife egomaniac who by now has probably told more lies, even in the face of truth tapping him on the shoulder, than all the other presidents put together.

But it seems many Americans love narcissistic pathological liars in whom they trust.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

For the idiots who love Trump on this Forum - maybe they can explain why he is dumping all the clean water regulations?
Kids in Flint have been poisoned by lead. Tragedies such as this are going to be repeated.
How many more have to suffer?

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream