All drugs should be legal

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
LuckyR

Re: Re:

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 24th, 2019, 7:14 am
Belinda wrote: August 13th, 2008, 3:49 am Not quite. People who make themselves ill are a drain on society.
Indeed. 👍 But rock-climbers injure themselves all the time. And so on, for many human pastimes. Drug use is just one of them. If we're moving in the direction of prohibition, how many drains on society will we wish to prohibit...? There are a lot to choose from.
What are your thoughts on mountain climbers being charged for the cost of their rescues?
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: All drugs should be legal

Post by Sy Borg »

100%. Legalise them all.

It won't happen, though. There are many vested interests.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

pjkeeley wrote: August 12th, 2008, 11:05 pm There are many reasons, but ultimately it comes down to this: nobody should be able to decide what we put into our own bodies except us. It is that simple.
Would you allow the sale of a drug designed for euthanasia to be sold at the local shop?

How about LSD in the toy shop?

Where are your limits - if any?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: September 25th, 2019, 6:16 pm 100%. Legalise them all.

Recreational or prescription or both? Who does the 40 year old smoker who gets a stroke on over the counter Birth Control Pills, sue for damages, the cashier at the five and dime?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: September 26th, 2019, 2:31 am
Greta wrote: September 25th, 2019, 6:16 pm 100%. Legalise them all.

Recreational or prescription or both? Who does the 40 year old smoker who gets a stroke on over the counter Birth Control Pills, sue for damages, the cashier at the five and dime?
All, and no suing. Caveat emptor.

If a drug leads people to illegal behaviour, then that can be dealt with. If it doesn't, no worries.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: September 25th, 2019, 1:03 pm What are your thoughts on mountain climbers being charged for the cost of their rescues?
Not much. In the extreme, I can see reasons for not supporting any and all injuries that could be seen as self-inflicted. But, in general, injuries happen, and we need treatment when they do. In a civilised country, where healthcare is free for all at the point of need, healthcare is just an insurance policy, one that everyone has. And it gives them the freedom to explore things, like mountain climbing, that might otherwise be too risky. "Oh, I can't do that, I can't afford the health insurance...." 😢

Back on-topic: senior police officers will tell you (I have seen explicit and official statements to this effect in the media) that giving (illegal) drugs away for free would be cheaper to society than the current situation, where addicts steal from others to fund their habits. I do not condone the status quo, but I do accept the simple fact of what the police say. Free drugs would cost us all less. 🤔
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: September 26th, 2019, 2:51 am
LuckyR wrote: September 26th, 2019, 2:31 am

If a drug leads people to illegal behaviour, then that can be dealt with. If it doesn't, no worries.
Sounds marginally OK as a post online but in Real Life medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US and 88% of those are medication errors. So you're saying taking Board Certified physicians out of the system of medication exposure and let folks who feel comfortable with their Wikipedia search do that task?

While we're at it why don't we eliminate building codes and let any ol' person build tall buildings and bridges out of whatever. Oh wait that already happens in places like Haiti and India.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: September 26th, 2019, 11:16 am
Greta wrote: September 26th, 2019, 2:51 am

Sounds marginally OK as a post online but in Real Life medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US and 88% of those are medication errors. So you're saying taking Board Certified physicians out of the system of medication exposure and let folks who feel comfortable with their Wikipedia search do that task?

While we're at it why don't we eliminate building codes and let any ol' person build tall buildings and bridges out of whatever. Oh wait that already happens in places like Haiti and India.
I was talking about illegal drugs, not the dangerous gunk that you lot prescribe :Þ

I think the worst thing to happen to the medical profession was the end of the family doctor, replaced by medical centres. There's nothing quite like a doctor who can actually tell if something is wrong with you or not without running tests. Governments, that have so often undermined doctors' and nurses' work, then have to nerve to talk about saving lives by keeping cannabis illegal - all the while encouraging the use of alcohol, a drug that actually can and does kill, not to mention anti-social issues.

If we want to save lives, it might help to, say, allow interns and nurses to get enough rest between shifts to function. It might help to have enough nurses to do the work they are hired to do. It might help if young people were educated about drugs and how they affect the body, rather than the usual "just say no" and obviously misleading and overstated risks that cannot be taken seriously.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: September 26th, 2019, 5:12 pm
LuckyR wrote: September 26th, 2019, 11:16 am

I was talking about illegal drugs, not the dangerous gunk that you lot prescribe :Þ

I think the worst thing to happen to the medical profession was the end of the family doctor, replaced by medical centres. There's nothing quite like a doctor who can actually tell if something is wrong with you or not without running tests. Governments, that have so often undermined doctors' and nurses' work, then have to nerve to talk about saving lives by keeping cannabis illegal - all the while encouraging the use of alcohol, a drug that actually can and does kill, not to mention anti-social issues.

If we want to save lives, it might help to, say, allow interns and nurses to get enough rest between shifts to function. It might help to have enough nurses to do the work they are hired to do. It might help if young people were educated about drugs and how they affect the body, rather than the usual "just say no" and obviously misleading and overstated risks that cannot be taken seriously.
That's what I originally assumed, hence my query on recreational vs prescription
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 26th, 2019, 10:26 am
Back on-topic: senior police officers will tell you (I have seen explicit and official statements to this effect in the media) that giving (illegal) drugs away for free would be cheaper to society than the current situation, where addicts steal from others to fund their habits. I do not condone the status quo, but I do accept the simple fact of what the police say. Free drugs would cost us all less. 🤔
Using illegal drugs is no longer illegal in Portrugal or Uraquay. In Portrugal even the hardliners who were agains legalization for users have come around and they shake their heads at the rest of Europe. There have been experiments in other European countries where heroin was given out to users in a medical clinic. Here's what they found: users were in almost all cases able to continue their professions. They all...all, tended to slowly lower their doses of their own choice. After ten years most stopped using because they wanted to. They found that most of the problems with the use have to do with interacting with criminals and getting the street crap laced witht he street crap. There's much more on the lies we are told about the war on drugs in https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16204 ... bl_vppi_i1
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Yes, the idea is to treat drugs as a health issue rather than a criminal one.

Prohibition has been the best friend of organised crime for a century or more. I believe that resistance by politicians to decriminalisation is not in good faith, or rarely is. They know the statistics and reports as well as we do. They know prohibition is an expensive disaster and ultimately takes and destroys many more lives than regulation.

However, they have feigned ignorance of this for many years now to maintain their corrupt links with organised crime and alcohol and affiliated industries who are afraid of losing their monopoly. They are aided by big media players with considerable investments in the gaming and liquor industries.

Prohibition is essentially a machine that converts young lives into liquor and prison industry profits and political capital.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

...including the ones you can commit suicide with; no prescription required.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Greta wrote: September 26th, 2019, 11:49 pm Yes, the idea is to treat drugs as a health issue rather than a criminal one.

Prohibition has been the best friend of organised crime for a century or more. I believe that resistance by politicians to decriminalisation is not in good faith, or rarely is. They know the statistics and reports as well as we do. They know prohibition is an expensive disaster and ultimately takes and destroys many more lives than regulation.

However, they have feigned ignorance of this for many years now to maintain their corrupt links with organised crime and alcohol and affiliated industries who are afraid of losing their monopoly. They are aided by big media players with considerable investments in the gaming and liquor industries.

Prohibition is essentially a machine that converts young lives into liquor and prison industry profits and political capital.
And then the war on drugs - which in the us was specifically started as a consciously racist practice (the promoters were open wiht each other about the racist aspects) - gives a lot of power to people who want it. There is money in it and it also makes society more like some people like society to be: war-ish.
platibus
Premium Member

Post by platibus »

My general inclination is in favor of the statement but it is too absolute. Except for drugs that may be extremely dangerous to third parties, they should not be prohibited, but State regulation may be required. What I would emphatically reject is the global "war on drugs", a political myth created 50 years ago when President Nixon declared drugs "public enemy number one". This myth has been embraced by politicians generally and sold to the masses in spite of its total failure in terms of possible or likely beneficial impact from lower addiction on the one hand and, on the other hand, the cost of enforcement in terms of billions of dollars, millions of lives and mass incarceration. Drugs should be subject to rules on content disclosure, quality control, warnings and limitations imposed on users preventing dangerous use.
Frank Pray
New Trial Member

Post by Frank Pray »

"Oxy Doc" Martin Tesher, M.D., was convicted by a federal jury in 2018 of prescribing Oxycotin and Fentynal to a patient who died from an overdose. Tesher faced up to 20 years imprisonment for reckless indifference to life. I cite this misuse of a legal drug prescription as evidence that the unrestricted distribution of dangerous substances based on greed, misinformation, or sociopathic indifference can lead to serious loss of life or long term damage to health and basic functioning.

The dilemma of all governmental regulation is that a majoritarian authority must compel a resistant minority to give up certain freedoms of choice. The liberty-minded resistor argues, "it's my life, stay out of it." The state prosecutes with the counterargument that certain behaviors are inimical to the public good, and are not to be among the liberties accorded its citizens in a civilized society. So the focus is not on the harm one does to oneself, but the harm one does to another. The criminal act is the taking of life without legal justification. The reason we empower the government is to protect this fundamental interest for all of us. When a jury convicts, it acts on behalf of the community to say, "this action must not be allowed. It must be punished for the good of us all, or the result will be a community where none of us are safe."

So then, if currently illegal recreational drugs are to be made legal, a vast apparatus of regulation must be put in place, an enforcement system must be equipped to deal quickly with violations, and a health care system must be funded to care for the inevitable casualties. I also agree with those comments that state some drugs may be so addictive and destructive that recreational is categorically irrational and impose too high a social cost.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream