What for you is "The Matrix"?? Explain in your own words...

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
tornatras
New Trial Member

What for you is "The Matrix"?? Explain in your own words...

Post by tornatras »

Here is my explanation (Give me your impressions and tell me what you think etc):

"MATRIX" by tornatras

The Matrix is likened to some ego fashioned substructure mechanistically oriented as sort of a programming simulation entry with its procedural ins and outs as it's to be defined....there is a definite programmable quality involved within it which can be hacked and glitched to one's or even whoever's likings. The mind is seated at the heart of it all and not really of materialistic architecture but seated at the ethereal playing field. To me the matrix computer kind of exists as some photographic-like representation from the first-person point of view of the overlooking seer. The phenomenon of sight and perception can essentially be separated philosophically from the biological substrate...whether by means of some divinely interventional working of the ego or demonic-like coherence. Through dreams you can traditionally enter a quasi-reincarnation tunneled apparition modality every night upon one's very own individual wishes for whatever drama show the soul can dream up...dreams are adheringly painted representations formed in the likeness of any actual setting found conjunctionally during the waking state at any given moment..which may possibly even be as a dream within a dream within another dream infinitely regressed in theory. These painted representations during any dream sequence are consciously pursued and experienced within the infinite mind in my opinion; you can be living any sort of life played out here during these dream imagined worlds without it having to be lucidly experienced per say...yet may still be of a purely realistic quality as the woken man beholding the very outer facade of his own house in broad daylight. Paramatered settings may be altered in which the system immerses oneself lucidly (where you know you're dreaming). This to me is truly how the system/matrix is operated mechanically and visually. Any experienced life situation or hypothetically hallucinatory imagining is possible during one's dream system snoring away in his/her's bed after night. Idealistically everything is mind and everything material may be and can be mental alone with no self-sustaining newtonian physically existing entity about in the quad in the very least...making every science such as medicine, physics, biology, chemistry etc as being completely dubious-doubtful- and of a precisely false character in all that they are entailed to be..while arithmetic and geometry holds some fondful truth-abiding merit and solid-state reality to them. The matrix easily becomes a dream within a dream within another dream..infinitely regressed forever. An active game is where you mix optimal pleasure-seeking inducement combined with nightmaric phantasms and stumbling blocks upon the sought through road ahead...to me that is the intrinsic fun of it all. Mind/soul is eternal and infinite albeit mysterious when one wishes to inquire to himself. The meaning of it all is who you've always perceived yourself to be as a soul/individual. Political systems of governance and powers are all metaphysical representations of the individual ego...the law enforcement, the church, the education system, the government, the scientific community, society..are all us in disguise. The system is implemented to one's divine liking. In dreams cities are envisioned and immersed into enchantedly as the wizard conjures and witnesses it.. civilization is truly a treasure, a work of art indeed. culture is an orgasm...and the mystifying abrupt future is what is to be unboxed eagerfully on Xmas day.

I know that there are several Matrix-associated films out there to enjoy...like The Matrix, but also its contenders like Dark City, The Thirteenth Floor, Vanilla Sky, and Inception. I've seen the matrix, thirteenth floor, and inception already..I'll have to re-watch inception again though since it was way back in 2010 when I'd first seen it in the theaters..but I'd love to re-watch it online again sometime to better fully understand it.

Basically I know that all these sorts of movies have that metaphysical underlying root to them in regards to the core philosophy and architecture of it all. I believe that it pretty much starts with the Cartesian/Descartian-based system and methods of philosophy/metaphysics/science/epistemology/etc..since Descartes is pretty much the founder of modern science and western philosophy in the whole spirit of literary tradition and everything, where he places the mind and consciousness above any and all kinds of materialism or newtonian physics worldview of universal working knowledge and mechanistically-based kinds of physics or explanations/extrapolations. Descartes' philosophy often lineates into the various Buddhist/Hinduism/Eastern perspectives concerning life/soul/universe/ego etc I believe. The Matrix films actually relates strongly to simulation theory where it's much more materialistically-oriented at the center..like the 'brain-in-a-vat' thought experiment and hypothesized assumptions of human biological entities being capable of conjoining with some virtual reality kinds of simulation by biological brain/wetware electrical stimulation through goliath supercomputer sci-fi technologies even possibly sourcing the very lifesource from some higher alien-like form of intelligence or superpower. Cartesian reasonings on the other hand tends to be way more dualistic in intrinsic nature where mind is unequivocally separated metaphysically from the body/brain/biological-substrate...this is where it tends to get all voodoo, supernatural, religious, idealistic, and magical, etc. Descartes argues that if one cannot even begin to distinguish dream from reality, then how can he even know that he wasn't really asleep in bed right now dreaming his life away as opposed to doing whatever it was he thought he was doing at any given moment in time.. Anyways I think it's all science and philosophy essentially..it explains how the world works, and a means about for how one may possibly desire to conduct his/her's individual life and societal condition. To me, some people just want to have fun, maximize their net pleasure, and orgasm their nuts off, which def be a principle of hedonistic nature and Greek cultural doctrine fo sho. While others would rather safe bet with the actual odds(look up Pascal's Wager on God's existence)..where belief in God is reasoned to be a good bet, essentially with nothing to really lose in the long haul of death and the reaper. Others wholeheartedly reject this conceptualization for having to bow down to any other supremely divine deity other than themselves alone, positing their beliefs for being much more anti-religious in meaning.. Many fall head-over-heels in love with their chosen path or career of endeavor and passion...like some were meant to be artists in their own eyes, while others musicians, bankers or clowns, scientists, doctors, lords and librarians, or even God in the flesh..if that truthfully be who they perceive themself to be.

I'm not sure if I've ever fully 100% agreed with any scholar regarding my worldviews...but sometimes I'll agree like 70% with them, or 90% with them etc etc.

Well anyways I believe that as human beings were are in the regular habit of sleeping like in bed at night every instance we doze off to dream... and anything found during the waking state of being "awake" is possible in a dream. Astonishingly, dreams are indistinguishable from reality, and life can easily become a dream where nothing at all is real, where no actual materialist physical objects ever really existed in that imagined up conjured world.. The concept of "God" to me could be an 'innate' one, a substance/idea human culture has evolved to realize into or even from a very young age to adhere to. Maybe one reason why us human beings are riddled with these imperfections unbeknownst to such a substance as like "God"..is because it fabricates a more 'active' game/gameplay for players in the matrix "simulation", like for instance possessing unlimited omnipotent powers from the very start might very well get very boring along the ride the whole way through and through; I believe that an element of struggle could be intrinsically optimal to instantiate a quality/class of entertainment in the video game of life. Men & women of all walks of life and religions are often involved in this very habit of prayer and want of desire for divine-like interventions in hopes of rehabilitating and/or curing the ails of their societally naturalistic world-confined conditions....so we sell our very souls to or summon the magic of the gods/God, demons, and supernatural energies-entities etc etc. As for me, meaning and purpose is viewed through the lens of my own uniquely individualistic singular 'perspective'..."utopia" won't be the same for every single human being, if you first take into account whether other minds ever really existed in the first place ("the problem of other minds"/"solipsism": as this Cartesian dilemma is known as in the philosophical circle).
Pantagruel
Favorite Philosopher: George Herbert Mead

Re: What for you is "The Matrix"?? Explain in your own words...

Post by Pantagruel »

For me...signifies that the world we experience is the part of an ongoing symbolic-enaction which becomes increasingly apparent as such as our understanding of that fact improves.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

tornatras wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 1:12 pm Here is my explanation (Give me your impressions and tell me what you think etc):

"MATRIX" by tornatras

The Matrix is likened to some ego fashioned substructure mechanistically oriented as sort of a programming simulation entry with its procedural ins and outs as it's to be defined....there is a definite programmable quality involved within it which can be hacked and glitched to one's or even whoever's likings. The mind is seated at the heart of it all and not really of materialistic architecture but seated at the ethereal playing field. To me the matrix computer kind of exists as some photographic-like representation from the first-person point of view of the overlooking seer. The phenomenon of sight and perception can essentially be separated philosophically from the biological substrate...whether by means of some divinely interventional working of the ego or demonic-like coherence. Through dreams you can traditionally enter a quasi-reincarnation tunneled apparition modality every night upon one's very own individual wishes for whatever drama show the soul can dream up...dreams are adheringly painted representations formed in the likeness of any actual setting found conjunctionally during the waking state at any given moment..which may possibly even be as a dream within a dream within another dream infinitely regressed in theory. These painted representations during any dream sequence are consciously pursued and experienced within the infinite mind in my opinion; you can be living any sort of life played out here during these dream imagined worlds without it having to be lucidly experienced per say...yet may still be of a purely realistic quality as the woken man beholding the very outer facade of his own house in broad daylight. Paramatered settings may be altered in which the system immerses oneself lucidly (where you know you're dreaming). This to me is truly how the system/matrix is operated mechanically and visually. Any experienced life situation or hypothetically hallucinatory imagining is possible during one's dream system snoring away in his/her's bed after night. Idealistically everything is mind and everything material may be and can be mental alone with no self-sustaining newtonian physically existing entity about in the quad in the very least...making every science such as medicine, physics, biology, chemistry etc as being completely dubious-doubtful- and of a precisely false character in all that they are entailed to be..while arithmetic and geometry holds some fondful truth-abiding merit and solid-state reality to them. The matrix easily becomes a dream within a dream within another dream..infinitely regressed forever. An active game is where you mix optimal pleasure-seeking inducement combined with nightmaric phantasms and stumbling blocks upon the sought through road ahead...to me that is the intrinsic fun of it all. Mind/soul is eternal and infinite albeit mysterious when one wishes to inquire to himself. The meaning of it all is who you've always perceived yourself to be as a soul/individual. Political systems of governance and powers are all metaphysical representations of the individual ego...the law enforcement, the church, the education system, the government, the scientific community, society..are all us in disguise. The system is implemented to one's divine liking. In dreams cities are envisioned and immersed into enchantedly as the wizard conjures and witnesses it.. civilization is truly a treasure, a work of art indeed. culture is an orgasm...and the mystifying abrupt future is what is to be unboxed eagerfully on Xmas day.

I know that there are several Matrix-associated films out there to enjoy...like The Matrix, but also its contenders like Dark City, The Thirteenth Floor, Vanilla Sky, and Inception. I've seen the matrix, thirteenth floor, and inception already..I'll have to re-watch inception again though since it was way back in 2010 when I'd first seen it in the theaters..but I'd love to re-watch it online again sometime to better fully understand it.

Basically I know that all these sorts of movies have that metaphysical underlying root to them in regards to the core philosophy and architecture of it all. I believe that it pretty much starts with the Cartesian/Descartian-based system and methods of philosophy/metaphysics/science/epistemology/etc..since Descartes is pretty much the founder of modern science and western philosophy in the whole spirit of literary tradition and everything, where he places the mind and consciousness above any and all kinds of materialism or newtonian physics worldview of universal working knowledge and mechanistically-based kinds of physics or explanations/extrapolations. Descartes' philosophy often lineates into the various Buddhist/Hinduism/Eastern perspectives concerning life/soul/universe/ego etc I believe. The Matrix films actually relates strongly to simulation theory where it's much more materialistically-oriented at the center..like the 'brain-in-a-vat' thought experiment and hypothesized assumptions of human biological entities being capable of conjoining with some virtual reality kinds of simulation by biological brain/wetware electrical stimulation through goliath supercomputer sci-fi technologies even possibly sourcing the very lifesource from some higher alien-like form of intelligence or superpower. Cartesian reasonings on the other hand tends to be way more dualistic in intrinsic nature where mind is unequivocally separated metaphysically from the body/brain/biological-substrate...this is where it tends to get all voodoo, supernatural, religious, idealistic, and magical, etc. Descartes argues that if one cannot even begin to distinguish dream from reality, then how can he even know that he wasn't really asleep in bed right now dreaming his life away as opposed to doing whatever it was he thought he was doing at any given moment in time.. Anyways I think it's all science and philosophy essentially..it explains how the world works, and a means about for how one may possibly desire to conduct his/her's individual life and societal condition. To me, some people just want to have fun, maximize their net pleasure, and orgasm their nuts off, which def be a principle of hedonistic nature and Greek cultural doctrine fo sho. While others would rather safe bet with the actual odds(look up Pascal's Wager on God's existence)..where belief in God is reasoned to be a good bet, essentially with nothing to really lose in the long haul of death and the reaper. Others wholeheartedly reject this conceptualization for having to bow down to any other supremely divine deity other than themselves alone, positing their beliefs for being much more anti-religious in meaning.. Many fall head-over-heels in love with their chosen path or career of endeavor and passion...like some were meant to be artists in their own eyes, while others musicians, bankers or clowns, scientists, doctors, lords and librarians, or even God in the flesh..if that truthfully be who they perceive themself to be.

I'm not sure if I've ever fully 100% agreed with any scholar regarding my worldviews...but sometimes I'll agree like 70% with them, or 90% with them etc etc.

Well anyways I believe that as human beings were are in the regular habit of sleeping like in bed at night every instance we doze off to dream... and anything found during the waking state of being "awake" is possible in a dream. Astonishingly, dreams are indistinguishable from reality, and life can easily become a dream where nothing at all is real, where no actual materialist physical objects ever really existed in that imagined up conjured world.. The concept of "God" to me could be an 'innate' one, a substance/idea human culture has evolved to realize into or even from a very young age to adhere to. Maybe one reason why us human beings are riddled with these imperfections unbeknownst to such a substance as like "God"..is because it fabricates a more 'active' game/gameplay for players in the matrix "simulation", like for instance possessing unlimited omnipotent powers from the very start might very well get very boring along the ride the whole way through and through; I believe that an element of struggle could be intrinsically optimal to instantiate a quality/class of entertainment in the video game of life. Men & women of all walks of life and religions are often involved in this very habit of prayer and want of desire for divine-like interventions in hopes of rehabilitating and/or curing the ails of their societally naturalistic world-confined conditions....so we sell our very souls to or summon the magic of the gods/God, demons, and supernatural energies-entities etc etc. As for me, meaning and purpose is viewed through the lens of my own uniquely individualistic singular 'perspective'..."utopia" won't be the same for every single human being, if you first take into account whether other minds ever really existed in the first place ("the problem of other minds"/"solipsism": as this Cartesian dilemma is known as in the philosophical circle).
Are you talking about the Hollywood movie (moving picture show) with Keanu Reeves in it?
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Pantagruel wrote: October 4th, 2019, 12:57 pm For me...signifies that the world we experience is the part of an ongoing symbolic-enaction which becomes increasingly apparent as such as our understanding of that fact improves.
It's just a movie (moving picture show) -- entertainment for the masses of humanity.

Keanu Reeves' movies which are my favorite are these:

Constantine (which explains Catholic views of Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, God, Lucifer, Archangels, and suicide)

Speed (with Dennis Hopper and Sandra Bullock)

Point Break (about rookie FBI agents and the FBI culture)

Lake House (also with Sandra Bullock about the feminine mystique)

Besides Reeves, another similar actor with similar movie themes is Jeff Fahey and his several movies.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

When the ancient Greeks invented drama, it was mostly for therapeutic value at their various sanitorium complexes like Epidaurus.

It hasn't changed that much, although today our drama is mostly on the silver screen and just serves as simple entertainment to help keep us sane in an insane world.
solologos
New Trial Member

Post by solologos »

If you look at a basketball thrown from the free-throw line, one could view that as "mere" appearance. A mathematician might see a calculus function describing the curve that the ball takes through space. A physicist might see numbers regarding the mass and shape of the ball, and its speed and acceleration or whatever. An astute basketball fan and analyst might see an upcoming missed shot, and the meaning of it for the game and even the team's chances at the championship. It might be like Neo looking at those scrolling green characters. "There is no spoon." I'm none of the aforementioned things, especially not a spoon, and I'm just imagining what it must be like to be as cool as them.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Hindus, it may not surprise you, think very highly of this movie which, after all, is first and foremost, a presentation of the idea that our experiences are not real, and that the true world and our true identity, lies elsewhere. It is also notable that this way of thinking translates into idealism. reminding me of Hilary Putnam's Brain in a Vat paper on epistemology: If you were a brain in a vat such that your experiences of the real world were wired into you, would you know this to be true, for all of your references for alternative possibilities are conceived in this virtual system conceived by some computer, so your thoughts would have no exit of discovery. This is us as all of thoughts seem to be grounded in the material conditions of everyday living. One never even imagines getting out if all one knows issues from what is in. The Real reality becomes a fiction.

All of our knowledge is no more than self fulfilling prophesy.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

solologos
If you look at a basketball thrown from the free-throw line, one could view that as "mere" appearance. A mathematician might see a calculus function describing the curve that the ball takes through space. A physicist might see numbers regarding the mass and shape of the ball, and its speed and acceleration or whatever. An astute basketball fan and analyst might see an upcoming missed shot, and the meaning of it for the game and even the team's chances at the championship. It might be like Neo looking at those scrolling green characters. "There is no spoon." I'm none of the aforementioned things, especially not a spoon, and I'm just imagining what it must be like to be as cool as them.
Your thinking on this pins the matter to some very interesting ideas. Different perspectives on an actual events cannot exclude the perspective of the Real; that is, given all of the individual ways the free throw can be interpreted, calling the free throw a real event is equally perspectival. It is an attitude, an interpretative "take" on an otherwise nameless actuality (actuality? Also, an interpretative perspective).

To say there is no spoon implies that somewhere there is an identity provider that takes up that which is called a spoon, and does so absolutely, beyond question or doubt. If not this, then we are abandoned to a world of floating indeterminacy: perspectivalism.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream