Question for Atheists: Paschals Wager

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Clay_10
New Trial Member

Question for Atheists: Paschals Wager

Post by Clay_10 »

As an atheist, with little to no doubts that there is no existence of a divine creator or afterlife, are you certain enough to deny God in your last dying breaths? Obviously it’s not entirely possible to know exactly what your thought process would be, assuming you haven’t faced near death before. However, do you see any merit in Paschal’s Wager? If you have the smallest, most microscopic inkling of a doubt, would it be worth it to accept a God that you don’t believe exists. Assuming you don’t believe in an afterlife, then, if you are right, your final destination will be the same whether you accept God or not. The basic argument remains: You have nothing to lose. Or is your “intellectual integrity” enough in itself to lose that you see no merit and making such a wager? I guess whether or not a divine creator would accept one into “paradise” based on a “just-in-case” dying whim is a different question entirely.
LuckyR

Re: Question for Atheists: Paschals Wager

Post by LuckyR »

Clay_10 wrote: October 6th, 2019, 1:58 pm As an atheist, with little to no doubts that there is no existence of a divine creator or afterlife, are you certain enough to deny God in your last dying breaths? Obviously it’s not entirely possible to know exactly what your thought process would be, assuming you haven’t faced near death before. However, do you see any merit in Paschal’s Wager? If you have the smallest, most microscopic inkling of a doubt, would it be worth it to accept a God that you don’t believe exists. Assuming you don’t believe in an afterlife, then, if you are right, your final destination will be the same whether you accept God or not. The basic argument remains: You have nothing to lose. Or is your “intellectual integrity” enough in itself to lose that you see no merit and making such a wager? I guess whether or not a divine creator would accept one into “paradise” based on a “just-in-case” dying whim is a different question entirely.
I disagree. It essentially keeps this simplistic thought experiment, at that level and prevents it from being the logical basis for deciding such a loaded topic.
"As usual... it depends."
Clay_10
New Trial Member

Post by Clay_10 »

LuckyR wrote: October 6th, 2019, 4:49 pm
Clay_10 wrote: October 6th, 2019, 1:58 pm As an atheist, with little to no doubts that there is no existence of a divine creator or afterlife, are you certain enough to deny God in your last dying breaths? Obviously it’s not entirely possible to know exactly what your thought process would be, assuming you haven’t faced near death before. However, do you see any merit in Paschal’s Wager? If you have the smallest, most microscopic inkling of a doubt, would it be worth it to accept a God that you don’t believe exists. Assuming you don’t believe in an afterlife, then, if you are right, your final destination will be the same whether you accept God or not. The basic argument remains: You have nothing to lose. Or is your “intellectual integrity” enough in itself to lose that you see no merit and making such a wager? I guess whether or not a divine creator would accept one into “paradise” based on a “just-in-case” dying whim is a different question entirely.
I disagree. It essentially keeps this simplistic thought experiment, at that level and prevents it from being the logical basis for deciding such a loaded topic.
My mistake, I did a poor job of clarifying exactly what I was saying. Let me rephrase. Obviously for this thought experiment I’m assuming that the divine creator will accept the wager as acceptance into paradise, or at least the dying atheist believes a creator would. Which would then make my final remarks a different question entirely.
frailRearranger
New Trial Member

Post by frailRearranger »

I can't say without a doubt that I am an atheist. Depending on what we mean when we say "God," I could certainly be an atheist, or I could be a theist. That said, I will try to respond to your question.

There seem to be a number of assumptions to unpack:
* If there is a God, then there is an afterlife.
* The afterlife consist of eternal happiness ("Heaven") and eternal misery ("Hell").
* Our believing in God is in some way necessary to our ending in Heaven as opposed to Hell.

After examining science, reason, personal experience, and the Bible, I am not convinced of any of these assumptions, however for the sake of argument, I will accept them all.

What is the cost to "believing in God?"

Is it as easy as uttering the words, "I believe in God?" If so, then being rewarded or punished for such a pointless thing is profoundly meaningless. If I were to go to Heaven merely for uttering some magic passphrase whilst many of my fellow human beings are damned to hell for not doing the same, I would feel that God is a being of profound injustice and evil. I would feel filthy and unworthy. All the happiness of Heaven would only mock me, and with each sweet chord the angels play, each taste of ambrosia upon my lips, each beauteous sight along the gold paved road would whisper to me, "You did nothing to deserve this, nor did your brothers and sisters do anything to deserve the Hell in which they forever burn whilst you recline on these clouds." In short, if getting into Heaven is so arbitrary, then Heaven is Hell, and it is a mockery of God and all His creations.

On the other hand, if it takes work to get into Heaven, then that work is the price we pay. If it is work worth doing, like being a good person and caring for our fellow man, well, shouldn't we do that anyway, regardless of God or an afterlife? However, if the price to enter Heaven involves doing things that we wouldn't otherwise, either requiring us to use up resources that could otherwise be put to another use, or requiring us to commit acts that we would otherwise consider to be evil, then it's not so obvious that we should be a believer. The greater the cost, the more we must ask ourselves, "Are we certain enough of Heaven to justify sacrificing so much of Earth in exchange?" Then, believing in God is not without a cost.

Naturally, we all ought to do our best to be good people, and as part of that pursuit we have to contemplate what it really means to be good. What if we become so preoccupied chasing after Heaven that we fail to be good people? Is that a price worth paying? And, are we really so sure that we know what Heaven is or how to get there? Because, if we don't, we may very well be wasting a lot of energy that could be spent making life better for all God's children.
Clay_10
New Trial Member

Post by Clay_10 »

Naturally, we all ought to do our best to be good people, and as part of that pursuit we have to contemplate what it really means to be good. What if we become so preoccupied chasing after Heaven that we fail to be good people? Is that a price worth paying? And, are we really so sure that we know what Heaven is or how to get there? Because, if we don't, we may very well be wasting a lot of energy that could be spent making life better for all God's children.
[/quote]

Thank you for your thoughtful response. Much of what you said was insightful and also reiterated what I thought were many flaws of such a wager. I do have a follow up question that I have trouble with at times: Without the assumption of a divine creator as the source of our morality, why is it natural that we ought to do our best to be good people? Why would being a “good” person be a better alternative than acting on any impulses for satisfaction or pleasure such as our fellow animals lower on the eveloutionary scale? Many redefine “good” as to meaning “actions that would better the well-being of mankind” or something similar, but there exist many things that would better mankind that the average man would consider morally reprehensible. Also, who deems the bettering mankind to be “good”? With no one to answer to after our short lives, or a set of objective rules or standards that come from something superior to us in nature, why shouldn’t we do whatever necessary to live the most pleasurable and fulfilling lives without reguard to being a good person? Sorry if it seems like I’m rambling... any thoughts or insight you can offer me on any of that would be appreciated.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Clay_10 wrote: October 6th, 2019, 6:43 pm Without the assumption of a divine creator as the source of our morality, why is it natural that we ought to do our best to be good people? Why would being a “good” person be a better alternative than acting on any impulses for satisfaction or pleasure such as our fellow animals lower on the eveloutionary scale?
First, with great power comes great responsibility. We have reason that gives us the power to do great damage to the world. We also can understand the damage we are doing, and how to avoid it. And, we have a greater ability to delay gratification than the lower life forms. We are uniquely able to gather resources far in excess of our need, to the point where we put ourselves and other forms of life in peril. We also know how and why we should not be doing so, and how to stop.

Second, we have a need to work together. There is a social contract, both expressed and implied, that says we have certain duties to each other. We have to pay back society for the gifts it bestows on us. There is a free rider problem if people take what they can get from society without giving back. It is natural that we do give back, as you can see most organized societies of animals work together, and individuals often sacrifice themselves for the greater good.

Finally, virtue is its own reward in many ways. If you are not trying to get away with anything, you can sleep the sleep of the just. You don't need to be looking over your shoulder all the time, and struggling to remember what lies you told to keep them straight. Most importantly, you can form true friendships with people worth having as friends. People will learn they can trust and count on you, and your experience in the world will be better as a result. People will be friendlier and more helpful to you when you are nicer and more useful and reliable to them. There will always come a time when you will need to rely on others in some way. If you want them to have your back when the time comes, you need to show them up front that you are deserving of their loyalty and sacrifice.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Simple question, which god or gods have I got to believe in and which sect of the god[s] in question. If you can answer that one in a convincing manner I might actually believe in your god or gods. I mean, just imagine that every Catholic pope gets to the pearly gates to discover god's a Methodist or even worse a Cather.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Pascal's Wager was not for atheists, nor to convince them to believe in God. It was for Christians and intended to suggest they might as well CONTINUE to believe. People don't decide to believe, just in case. That's not how belief works, and I think Pascal, being as smart cookie, would know that. But, regardless, his wager is not aimed at atheists.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

So let's say Pascal had something.

Tell me which particular god, and which particular religion of what particular god I should surrender my life to, in the vain hope of some reward of a future state following the end of my, now, wasted, life?
Clay_10
New Trial Member

Post by Clay_10 »

Mark1955 wrote: October 7th, 2019, 9:10 am Simple question, which god or gods have I got to believe in and which sect of the god[s] in question. If you can answer that one in a convincing manner I might actually believe in your god or gods. I mean, just imagine that every Catholic pope gets to the pearly gates to discover god's a Methodist or even worse a Cather.
I guess the short answer is that I don’t know. I’m somewhat knew at this and am mostly looking for responses to further my understanding of basic philosophy. I personally believe that if a god and an afterlife do exist it would be an understanding being that takes into account environmental and social factors. For example a loving, all-knowing, all-powerful, “catholic” god exists, I believe that he would accept those with goodwill into his kingdom, including atheists with good intentions and hood moral standing, or worshippers of other denominations. I also think it stands to reason that Catholics would be held to an even higher standard since they have been exposed to the “truth”. Possibly, an atheist, born into a non religious family, who lives their life justly and treats others well could be welcomed to heaven over an informed catholic who lead a similar lifestyle but chose to indulge in certain taboo pleasures. Obviously this is just speculation and I’m never too proud to say my mind can’t be changed.
Clay_10
New Trial Member

Post by Clay_10 »

chewybrian wrote: October 7th, 2019, 4:38 am
Clay_10 wrote: October 6th, 2019, 6:43 pm Without the assumption of a divine creator as the source of our morality, why is it natural that we ought to do our best to be good people? Why would being a “good” person be a better alternative than acting on any impulses for satisfaction or pleasure such as our fellow animals lower on the eveloutionary scale?
First, with great power comes great responsibility. We have reason that gives us the power to do great damage to the world. We also can understand the damage we are doing, and how to avoid it. And, we have a greater ability to delay gratification than the lower life forms. We are uniquely able to gather resources far in excess of our need, to the point where we put ourselves and other forms of life in peril. We also know how and why we should not be doing so, and how to stop.

Second, we have a need to work together. There is a social contract, both expressed and implied, that says we have certain duties to each other. We have to pay back society for the gifts it bestows on us. There is a free rider problem if people take what they can get from society without giving back. It is natural that we do give back, as you can see most organized societies of animals work together, and individuals often sacrifice themselves for the greater good.

Finally, virtue is its own reward in many ways. If you are not trying to get away with anything, you can sleep the sleep of the just. You don't need to be looking over your shoulder all the time, and struggling to remember what lies you told to keep them straight. Most importantly, you can form true friendships with people worth having as friends. People will learn they can trust and count on you, and your experience in the world will be better as a result. People will be friendlier and more helpful to you when you are nicer and more useful and reliable to them. There will always come a time when you will need to rely on others in some way. If you want them to have your back when the time comes, you need to show them up front that you are deserving of their loyalty and sacrifice.
I agree with you and am not arguing that in most organized societies beings work together for the greater good. And I agree that we have have a free rider problem and that it is our duty to give back. My question remains: Why is that our duty? Why is it just to work towards a greater good? What do we need to work together? Why are any of these things “good”? Without any standard derived from something or someone higher than ourselves, who deems these things significant? Without confirming to an objective standard of somekind outside of ourselves, it seems that we are just an irrelevant speck lost in the vastness of the cosmos, thus, any actions we make, emotions we feel, or advancements in a society we make have are equally irrelevant.
Clay_10
New Trial Member

Post by Clay_10 »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: October 7th, 2019, 10:48 am
Pascal's Wager was not for atheists, nor to convince them to believe in God. It was for Christians and intended to suggest they might as well CONTINUE to believe. People don't decide to believe, just in case. That's not how belief works, and I think Pascal, being as smart cookie, would know that. But, regardless, his wager is not aimed at atheists.
I agree. That makes more sense that his wager was not aimed at atheists. Like I’ve said in different posts, I’m still learning and seem to learn more and more as I get more insightful responses. Thank you.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

The funny thing is Pascal's Wager (like the Prisoner's Dilemma) has a statistical logic, it just happens not to be useful in the god category, but makes sense in other contexts.
"As usual... it depends."
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Clay_10 wrote: October 7th, 2019, 1:27 pm I agree with you and am not arguing that in most organized societies beings work together for the greater good. And I agree that we have have a free rider problem and that it is our duty to give back. My question remains: Why is that our duty? Why is it just to work towards a greater good? What do we need to work together?
It is our duty because others have struggled and died for progress and we can only pay back what they gave us by passing something on to future generations. It is just because we are balancing the scales, and not being the free rider. We need to work together because we can accomplish more than we ever could alone; it is a 'win-win'.
Clay_10 wrote: October 7th, 2019, 1:27 pm Without any standard derived from something or someone higher than ourselves, who deems these things significant?
We do. I do.
Clay_10 wrote: October 7th, 2019, 1:27 pm Without confirming to an objective standard of somekind outside of ourselves, it seems that we are just an irrelevant speck lost in the vastness of the cosmos, thus, any actions we make, emotions we feel, or advancements in a society we make have are equally irrelevant.
Maybe we are just a bit of mold on a wet rock floating in space. Or, maybe we are the answer to life, the universe, and everything. We have no way to know yet, and no reason to prefer one answer over the other, save this. There is no percentage for us in betting that we mean nothing. If we do mean nothing, then we lose nothing by trying in vain to accomplish something meaningful. If we do mean something, maybe we lose everything by not trying. Who needs God for Pascal's wager? Bet on yourself. I find virtue to be its own reward, and I am happier trying to be good, so it is in my own best interest to continue to try. I think it is in the best interest of others, too, potentially. But, if all I gain is piece of mind, at least I have that.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
NickGaspar
Favorite Philosopher: Many

Post by NickGaspar »

Is theism still an acceptable subject in Philosophy?

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream