Consciousness, what is and what it requires?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Kaz_1983

Re: Consciousness, what is and what it requires?

Post by Kaz_1983 »

What is consciousness anyways?
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:"Experiencing exists, therefore an experiencer (named "I") exists!"

Experiencing exists - is the 'absolute' (undeniable/undoubtable) truth that Descartes was searching for (but never found).
Therefore, an Experiencer (named "I") exists -- is a 'logical' truth; logically derived.
Zelebg wrote:But the more general point you're making seem to be there is no emotion and no sensation without cognition…
No, not at all. Emotions, sensations (sensory), and cognition (thoughts) are all just bodily 'experiences' (bodily reactions). The consciousness (knowing) of these experiences are 'conscious experiences' (i.e. the knowing/recognizing of our bodily reactions/experiences).

Zelebg wrote:...should we say we experience thoughts or just that we're thinking?
These can be interpreted differently. One is 'passive' (the experiencing of thoughts), and the other can be interpreted as 'active' (the authoring/scripting of one's own experienced thoughts). Logically, we can only 'experience' thoughts, not 'think' them. We can only 'experience' the thoughts that pop into our head. Our knowing (consciousness) of these thoughts is always AFTER the fact. -- This confusion led to Descartes false belief in a dualism. He falsely believed that he was the conscious "thinker" of his thoughts, but in actuality he was/is only the conscious "experiencer" of his thoughts.

Zelebg wrote:In other words, is thinking the same thing as being sentient?
Assuming that "thinking" means "experiencing thoughts", then yes, I think most people agree that consciously experiencing thoughts is what makes us "sentient" beings.

Kaz_1983 wrote:What is consciousness anyways?
Consciousness is the experience of 'recognition', made possible by 'memory'. It is 'recognition' that translates the non-conscious bodily reactions into conscious experiences.
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

RJG wrote: November 9th, 2019, 7:56 am
Kaz_1983 wrote:What is consciousness anyways?
Consciousness is the experience of 'recognition', made possible by 'memory'. It is 'recognition' that translates the non-conscious bodily reactions into conscious experiences.
Okay the definition of "recognition"
1. Identification of someone or something or person from previous encounters or knowledge.

"she saw him pass by without a sign of recognition"
2. Acknowledgement of the existence, validity, or legality of something.

"the unions must receive proper recognition"
Babies don't have the ability of identification of someone or something from previous encounters. Babies also don't have the ability to acknowledge their existence either.

Does this mean babies aren't conscious?
RJG

Post by RJG »

Kaz_1983 wrote:Babies don't have the ability of identification of someone or something from previous encounters. Babies also don't have the ability to acknowledge their existence either.

Correct, not initially anyways. Without a developed memory capability, they are essentially just little "experientially reactive" animals (beings). They can't "know" (recognize) what they experience until their memory capability develops.

Without memory, there can be no experience of recognition, and therefore no consciousness. (Similarly, and for example -- without eyes, there can be no experience of seeing, etc. etc.)
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

RJG wrote: November 9th, 2019, 12:14 pm
Kaz_1983 wrote:Babies don't have the ability of identification of someone or something from previous encounters. Babies also don't have the ability to acknowledge their existence either.

Correct, not initially anyways. Without a developed memory capability, they are essentially just little "experientially reactive" animals (beings). They can't "know" (recognize) what they experience until their memory capability develops.

Without memory, there can be no experience of recognition, and therefore no consciousness. (Similarly, and for example -- without eyes, there can be no experience of seeing, etc. etc.)
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ess-arise/
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

Which animals possess consciousness?
RJG

Post by RJG »

Kaz_1983 wrote:Which animals possess consciousness?
If you instead asked me "Which animals possess sight (can experience seeing)?", I would answer "Those that possess 'eyeballs' have the capability of seeing".

And likewise, to answer "Which animals possess consciousness (can experience recognition)?", I would answer "Those that possess 'memory' have the capability of recognizing (being conscious; knowing their experience)".

Tests can be done for both sight and consciousness (recognition). I suspect many different animals possess consciousness. But this does not imply that they have conscious thoughts like you and I. It just means that they "knowingly" recognize their particular bodily experiences (bodily interactions/sensations with the world around them), and then auto-react accordingly.

In other words, all animals are "experientially reactive", but those with eyes have the capability to also experience seeing, and those with memory have the capability to also experience the "knowing" of their bodily experiences/reactions.
Felix

Post by Felix »

RJG: In other words, all animals are "experientially reactive", but those with eyes have the capability to also experience seeing, and those with memory have the capability to also experience the "knowing" of their bodily experiences/reactions.
That's not a helpful distinction: it's been demonstrated that all animals and even plants have some form of memory, an organism incapable of learning from experience could not adapt to its environment and survive.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

RJG wrote: November 7th, 2019, 1:51 pm
h_k_s wrote:I too go back to Descartes' "Cogito ergo sum" as being the very beginning of all philosophical thinking.
Descartes did not go back far enough. He forgot that it is the "experiencing" (of-thoughts) that precedes and allows for his thoughts of "I". -- The correct "beginning point" is therefore --> Experiencing exists, therefore I (the experiencer) exist.

Without the "experience of thought", there could be no "thought of I". It is the "experiencing" that is most certain, (NOT the content of said experience), and therefore, "experiencing exists" is the true "beginning point" to all true knowledge.

This is an important clarification, otherwise Descartes statement falsely presumes dualism (both a thinker (author/creator) of thoughts and a body), when in actuality there is only an experientially-reactive monistic body (just an 'experiencer' of thoughts, and sensations/feelings/urges and other experiences, ...and nothing more).
You RJG have raised a good point -- which is -- what comes first? (A) the experiencing or (B) the thinking about the experiencing?

That's a very hard nut to crack.

I don't think we can know the answer to that question.

Descartes and I myself both assume that the thinking about the experience comes first.

You obviously assume that the experiencing comes first.

I don't think these two views can/will ever be reconciled.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Do unborn fetuses (feti) think or dream?

They probably don't dream because they have zero experiences to dream about yet.

But do they think? Do they wonder any of these questions:

- Where am I?

- What am I?

- What am I experiencing right now?

That's a really hard nut to crack.

Humankind each starts out as an unborn fetus. Then with birth there is the rush of experiences including movement, then cold, then noise, then light, then warmth, then comfort, then nourishment, then sleep.

The tabula rasa first mentioned by Aristotle (I like to throw actual philosophical knowledge into my own philosophical thought problems whenever I can, hence Aristotle etc.) then begins to fill up fast.

After eating and sleeping follow pooping, peeing, and clean-up.

If only we knew what goes through a newborn's mind? We once did know but we have long since forgotten those days and nights and the events and thoughts that came during them.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Zelebg wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 8:23 pm Let me try...

To be conscious is to have experience.

To experience is to feel extern senses or inner emotions.

Any experience is a feeling: taste, vision, joy, desire...

Any experience is necessarily subjective experience.

Subjective experience requires the subject, that is "self".

Consciousness requires, or is, self-awareness.

To be self aware requires, or is, to have thoughts

Thoughts require intelligence.

Consciousness requires, or is, intelligence.

To feel requires intelligence, i.e. thoughts, i.e. consciousness, i.e. self-awareness.
At this point Zelebg I am detecting a flaw in your assumptions.

If you look closely at my above example of a human fetus shortly before birth, you will see that consciousness is indeed possible WITHOUT having any experience, yet.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Felix wrote:...it's been demonstrated that all animals and even plants have some form of memory…
Agreed. ...and hence the reasoning that if we wish to test for 'consciousness', then we need to test for 'recognition', and not just 'memory' function.

Again, and to be clear, ''memory" does not necessarily imply "consciousness" (recognition). They are not both mutually dependent. In other words: We can have memory without consciousness, but we can't have consciousness without memory. (e.g. ...we can have apples without applesauce, but we can't have applesauce without apples.)

Non-conscious "memory" function is needed for many bodily functions other than just for consciousness (recognition).

Felix wrote:...an organism incapable of learning from experience could not adapt to its environment and survive.
Agreed. "Memory" is therefore vital to survival. This does NOT mean, nor does it imply, that "consciousness" is vital for survival.

h_k_s wrote:Descartes and I myself both assume that the thinking about the experience comes first.
HK. I think you are mistaking "thinking" with "consciousness". When we consciously experience thoughts, this means that 'Thoughts are Experiences that we are Conscious of'. It does NOT mean that Thoughts ARE Consciousness.

h_k_s wrote:Do unborn fetuses (feti) think or dream?

They probably don't dream because they have zero experiences to dream about yet.

- Where am I?

- What am I?

Unborn fetuses cannot think or dream these thoughts because they haven't yet learned any of these words and its meanings/concepts yet. Their library of stored knowledge (memory) is mostly empty at this point.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

RJG wrote: November 9th, 2019, 5:23 pm
Felix wrote:...it's been demonstrated that all animals and even plants have some form of memory…
Agreed. ...and hence the reasoning that if we wish to test for 'consciousness', then we need to test for 'recognition', and not just 'memory' function.

Again, and to be clear, ''memory" does not necessarily imply "consciousness" (recognition). They are not both mutually dependent. In other words: We can have memory without consciousness, but we can't have consciousness without memory. (e.g. ...we can have apples without applesauce, but we can't have applesauce without apples.)

Non-conscious "memory" function is needed for many bodily functions other than just for consciousness (recognition).

Felix wrote:...an organism incapable of learning from experience could not adapt to its environment and survive.
Agreed. "Memory" is therefore vital to survival. This does NOT mean, nor does it imply, that "consciousness" is vital for survival.

h_k_s wrote:Descartes and I myself both assume that the thinking about the experience comes first.
HK. I think you are mistaking "thinking" with "consciousness". When we consciously experience thoughts, this means that 'Thoughts are Experiences that we are Conscious of'. It does NOT mean that Thoughts ARE Consciousness.

h_k_s wrote:Do unborn fetuses (feti) think or dream?

- Where am I?

- What am I?

Unborn fetuses cannot think or dream these thoughts because they haven't yet learned any of these words and its meanings/concepts yet. Their library of stored knowledge (memory) is mostly empty at this point.
RJG You seem to be the spokesman for all the unborn fetuses (feti).

Did they elect you to that office ??

Do you remember specifically being a fetus ??

I know those are loaded questions, but I could not resist.

Rhetoric can be extremely entertaining although morally corrupt as a branch of Sophism.
Gee

Post by Gee »

Zelebg wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 8:23 pm Let me try...

To be conscious is to have experience.

To experience is to feel extern senses or inner emotions.

Any experience is a feeling: taste, vision, joy, desire...

Any experience is necessarily subjective experience.

Subjective experience requires the subject, that is "self".

Consciousness requires, or is, self-awareness.

To be self aware requires, or is, to have thoughts

Thoughts require intelligence.

Consciousness requires, or is, intelligence.

To feel requires intelligence, i.e. thoughts, i.e. consciousness, i.e. self-awareness.
Hi. You have picked a difficult subject.

I would say that consciousness is essentially communication that can be internal or external. This communication can be in thought, emotion, experience, or even chemical, as long as it communicates within or between "self/s".

What is "self"? That would be awareness + identity (as in panpsychism). Anything that has awareness and an identity, or matter, is conscious of some things to some degree. All life is conscious.

When you add in things like intelligence, thought, self-awareness, etc., you confuse the issue and turn the discussion into a study of human consciousness. Are you looking at consciousness, or human consciousness? Cause I know some humans, who are dumber than a box of rocks -- grass is not very bright either. (chuckle)

Gee
Gee

Post by Gee »

RJG wrote: November 6th, 2019, 8:24 am
RJG wrote:True "self-awareness" is a myth; a logical impossibility.
chewybrian wrote:To deny self-awareness implies that there is nothing of which we might be aware.
Not so, you can be aware of anything you like, EXCEPT your-"self".

Pick up a rock, tap it on anything you like, now tap it on itself. Impossible, ...right?

With the tip of your index finger, touch anything you like, now make it touch itself. Impossible, ...right?

That which is aware, i.e the "awarer", cannot be aware of himself. You cannot be both the 'observer' and the 'observed' simultaneously.

Logical impossibility #1: We can't be in 2 places at 1 time.

Sure we can, just stand in front of a mirror.
RJG wrote: November 6th, 2019, 8:24 am
chewybrian wrote:I am necessarily more aware of myself than I am of any other person or thing.
Not so. You are only aware of an IDEA of your-"self", but never of your-"self" itself.

Logical impossibility #2: We can only experience 'experiences' (thoughts, ideas, sensations, etc), not 'actual' things, or "selfs" themselves.

*** True "self-awareness" is a 'myth'. It is one of the many "feel-good" falsehoods that we refuse to let go of.
We refuse to let go of these ideas because they are valid, not falsehoods at all. Please note that I am not disputing your logic, which is valid and good. It is your information that I am disputing.

We are humans, which means that we have an advanced brain, allowing us to have a rational aspect of mind along with the unconscious aspect. This allows us to have two perspectives. Most people believe that the rational mind is the "self" -- it is not -- it is the reflection. The true "self" sources from the unconscious aspect, which we can not know, which is why it is unconscious. So yes we can see our "self" in the rational aspect in the same way that we can see our "self" in a mirror. It is not a "true" reflection, but it is enough for us to have self-awareness.

We are discovering that other species are also self-aware, which means that they also have a rational aspect of mind. Interesting.

Gee

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream